A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
I survived this episode, and all I got was a t-shirt.

If ever there was an average episode of Haven, this would be it. If last week's episode took apart the show and put it back together with the new elements (Lexie/Audrey, Nathan having to die, Jennifer and William and Wade all doing stuff), this would be the episode which showed us what the new picture looked like.

It's hard to describe this episode. Things happened, and they were well-acted things. But nothing much of consequence happened, except that it told us what the things of consequence that happened last week meant. The Guard doesn't want Wade in town, which we could have figured. Jordan wants Nathan dead, which she pretty much implied last week. William convinced Audrey to let him tell her about herself (anyone wonder if the two guys were working for him?).

Jennifer decided to give up her meds, which I'm not sure anyone in the show or watching really cared about that much. And she decided to help in the search for Audrey, but we already figured that she was doing that, right?

The Trouble of the week was pretty straightforward. Hopefully we can now move beyond "Nathan knows what the Troubled person is going through because it relates to his own screwed-up life" now. We get that plot point. Thanks. Moving on.

Dr. Lucassi is back! I wish they'd give him a little more personality. This is Christopher Shore's... ninth appearance.

It advanced the plot a very little bit (Jordan is challenging Vince's leadership, Audrey is going to find out who she is, the Guard is going after wade). But overall, this seemed kind of a filler.

So I'd give it a 7. But that's just my opinion--I could be wrong. What do you think?
Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think maybe what we are seeing of Lexie isn't real, but the process of 'The Barn' building Lexie's 'fake life'. Maybe William is her... 'Audreyness/willpower/memories' incarnate trying to stop it from happening? And Maybe now that Jennifer is off her meds, she might be able to eavesdrop or even to communicate with 'Lexie' inside the barn...?
Flag
I did get a very much, well, okay, we sorted out where everyone was in the premiere, let's now establish the dynamic now in the town and yes, we know you all want to get back to Audrey and William. Seriously that story has been dragged out too far already. At least tell us something, like, where are you? I mean, it might give us an idea how screwed up the Barn became and how long it will take to get back (I have been under the impression that the Barn drops her off just outside Haven proper (but likely within Haven) and she enters the town under the pretense of her character). I have been getting a Texas or otherwise midwest vibe but they could be in Canada for all I know. And I don't know, but she really doesn't seem to like the brunette extensions. I am really still distracted with the, um, where are James and Arla? James was kind of the point of the first three seasons of the show and Arla was last year's big bad. And while they were both in dire straits when last we saw them, they weren't dead. And they need to still clear up the whole Crocker family thing, at least in my opinion, yes Duke can eliminate a particular Trouble from a family line by killing one of them and his father wanted him to kill Audrey (but why? did they ever tell us?)
More+
Flag
Was that Duke awkward flirting with Jennifer? I couldn't tell and his facial expressions kinda made it uncomfortable to watch

Anyway, totally agree there wasn't much too this episode besides the Guard threatening Duke's brother and Jordan semi-threatening Vince. I hope the show is setting up a shake-up of the Guard because Vince and Jordan are both annoying me with their constant threatening of someone or another.
Flag
There are a few things about S4 of Haven, that remind me of Fringe. Which isn't a bad thing at all. Apologies to those who haven't seen Fringe or don't like show comparisons. I actually like the small similarities and this is meant as a compliment. :-) Please don't take it the wrong way. On that note, here's 3 distinct similarities that Fringe fans might appreciate.
  • First, the whole Audrey going missing and personality change reminds of the Peter erasure and reset in S4 of Fringe.
  • The "spontaneous combustion" Trouble reminded me of the episodes "The Road Not Taken" and/or "Earthling" where people turned to ash.
  • Jennifer going off her meds so she can hear the voices clearer is like Shaun, the boy diagnosed with schizophrenia in S4 episode "A Better Human Being" He also went of his medication to hear the voices clearer and it turned out that he never had schizophrenia in the first place, which is obviously also the case with Jennifer. Btw, I really like Jennifer and I hope she sticks around. :-)
Flag
Small correction, Gislef. Jordan has actually turned 180 and is trying to keep Nathan alive (at least until they find Audrey) else Plan B is out the window. There's something else at work here too in the love/hate thing twixt Jordan and Nathan but I'll defer speculation on that ...
Flag
Very Little Audrey + Nathan' sympatethic powers + Duke the Haven tourist guide = trouble in Haven
Flag
I agree with all points especially those thugs working for that bar guy. That was just too easy and planned out...really people? No one noticed? They slow walked out with no fuss...they took the guy but not her, it was her they wanted last week...the bar guy got what he wanted.... yeah it smells like a plot...
Flag
i kinda hope audrey/lexi keeps that hair when she 'returns'

sexy sassy, i also really hope 'eureka jack' doesn't get to close to her..
Flag
I hope she won't keep it. The new hairdo is awful.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Ditto on all of that. A couple of things that I expected to be addressed in this week's episode that were not: (1) If I remember correctly, this is not the first time that we've something like this week's trouble. Didn't Nathan's dad die the same way? Since last week's trouble was a repeat, and this week's seems to be a repeat, I was deducing that we are revisiting previous troubles in a new Sarah/Lucy/Audrey cycle; (2) I've watched this show from its beginning and cannot recall anyone outside of or, at least, without a connection to Haven having a trouble. So, from where does Jennifer's so-called trouble come?
Flag
Nathan's father turned to stone and blew up. I suppose he kind of turned into a statue first, the way the people here did.

Presumably Jennifer does have a connection to Haven. I imagine she her or her parents were born there and left.
Flag
Okay. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm assuming that she has some connection to Haven, as well. But obviously, even she is unaware of it, since she's unfamiliar with the town. I just found it interesting that two episodes in, it hasn't been addressed or that it's not being discussed much among viewers like us.
Flag
nathans pop had an earth quake/tremor trouble.

and after a while of holding him self together he eventually lost the will to live and became stone and then 'cracked up' can't remember how big of a blow up he did since vince found most of the pieces.
Flag
l agree, it was an OK episode where nothing terribly exciting really happened. And boy does this town really need Audrey back! Nathan de-escalating 'Trouble' confrontations just doesn't have the same dramatic flare as when Audrey does it. There's a forceful determination and passion when Audrey is in these situations and without her the whole thing kind of falls flat.
The new girl is starting to grow on me...which probably means she will end up dead or missing by the end of the season. And I really like how Duke has evolved as a character. He seems to take on a more important role as each season goes by.
Flag
I see this episode as the premiere's second part as 'Survivors' clearly could've been adžnd worked as an inclusive part of it, and as such the episode was great. yeah, Nathan 'curing' others from his 'I've been through this when lost Audrey' perspective might be not what I'd like to see more, but heck, the acting is good and all is not so bad yet, so little advancement on his side isn't bugging me as of yet. On the other hand this episode gave another perspective on Duke's role this season. Reluctantly or willingly, or both he isn't just this bad-good boy anymore and is forced to choose sides, and that is HUGE for his character since up until now he always expressed his reluctance to help Nathan, police, etc., and only did what he wanted or what his friendship/love for Audrey asked of him. Now (so far) there's no Audrey, Nathan isn't holding all that good, the Guard wants him subdued, and he is a novel position of becoming very very active character in this play IMO. Same with Jennifer - it might have been handled a bit differently but it's clear her going off medication is important, so that is an advancement.
And regarding the little we've got of Audrey/Lexie, I now become more and more confirmed that Audrey will be back either as Audrey, either as Audrey-entity with ALL of her memories. Talking of the camera focus on Audrey, did you notice it goes soft when showing the bar and Audrey/Lexie? Could it mean this is some sort of dream realm?
More+
Flag
Regarding your comment below:
"Oh, I hope this whole fuzzy cam thing is more a plot-tool than just a way to disguise Emily's weight gain. She looks superb, and I really see no reason why an actress should always be considered 'fit for duty' only if she's skinny. But you also could be right, and this bar thing might be there just mainly to 'hide' Audrey until she's back to *normal* weight which is ridiculous."

I agree with you. Let me just make it clear: Weight shenanigans on TV shows are ridiculous and I hate that all female characters get progressively skinnier with their success.
Now, as far as the "fuzzy" cam...I would say it's definitely a plot-tool set in a convenient location for "body obscuring".
Flag
I think the reason the camera focus goes "soft" as you put it, is because this is television and they are trying to disguise the fact that Emily Rose has gained a bit of weight due to having a baby.
Don't get me wrong, I personally have no issues with the fact that Emily's got a little bit more meat on her bones, but I imagine that in the pretentious and judgemental world of "television" they are trying to conceal her body with fuzzy camera work and having her stand behind a bar. I honestly think that that's why they are using the bar as a set. It's dark and her body's obscured. Have you noticed that we only mainly see her from her waist upward? She's also wearing black, which is always the "go to" colour for making a person look thinner. Sure the wardrobe fits with the "Lexy" character but I wonder if the weight gain was the reason they made her a bartender in the first place?
These first few episodes were filmed right after Emily had her baby (they're currently shooting the last 2 episodes of S4) and I think they were waiting until she loses the baby-weight to show her full body onscreen. Which I imagine will happen in episodes 4, 5 and by episode 6 she'll be walking around in a different setting (and possibly different wardrobe) with proper lighting, camera focus and full body shots, because she'll be "TV thin" again. Oh TV execs, why do women always have to be stick thin? On that note, has anyone noticed how much thinner Kate Kelton (Jordan) is this season? It was especially evident in the last episode. Jordan was always slim and hot but this season she's super skinny!

Just an example: They did a similar thing with Claire Danes in Season 2 of "Homeland" because the actress was pregnant and her character wasn't so they would only shoot her from a certain angle or place obstacles in front of her to cover her stomach. Also, she was only allowed to gain a certain amount of weight throughout the whole season shoot.
More +
Flag
I agree with your opinion about Kate Kelton - she definitely looks too skinny. I hope she's not sick.

As for Emily Rose - she looked great during SDCC 2013 which was in July.
Flag
Kate wasn't as skinny back in S3. Yeah, I don't think she's sick, it just comes with the territory. Emily got progressively skinnier throughout the show too.
I agree, Emily looks great, no argument there. I wish she always looked like this but she's definitely gained some weight. She looks curvier onscreen. Just re-watch one of the earlier S3 episodes, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Plus cameras and wardrobe are tricky. SDCC camera's are different from the TV set cameras. Plus she was dressed differently at Comic-Con. I could tell even then that she gained a few pounds but its not as noticable at SDCC as it is in the show setting. Oh my god, now I sound like I have an issue with her post-baby weight. :-(
I honestly don't, I am just trying to explain why I think the camera's "fuzzy" in the bar and why she's mostly obscured by standing behind the bar and dark lighting/wardrobe. I know that they usually take these steps to keep the women we watch on TV looking as thin and *perfect* as possible. Sigh. I hope you understand what I mean and I hope my comment isn't misread.
Btw, I am not saying that the bar is just there for that reason alone, I just wonder if the reason they chose a bar setting has a bit to do with the fact that its also "useful" in disguising her weight-gain.
More +
Flag
I thought the same thing about the bar...that her standing behind it was to obscure her body profile. I bet if they were back in Haven, she would be sitting behind a desk at the station. Hollywood is not really subtle about these things. As for actresses getting skinnier as a series progresses....I think that is partly influenced by the work schedule. One hour dramas are notorious for having long shooting days(12-16 hrs). I would imagine that constant physical demand and exhaustion would play some sort of havoc on your system.
Flag
Oh, I hope this whole fuzzy cam thing is more a plot-tool than just a way to disguise Emily's weight gain. She looks superb, and I really see no reason why an actress should always be considered 'fit for duty' only if she's skinny. But you also could be right, and this bar thing might be there just mainly to 'hide' Audrey until she's back to *normal* weight which is ridiculous.
Flag
Also, these episodes were filmed in May and one can lose 10+ pounds in under a month.
Flag
Who knows, Audrey might be very well in coma somewhere and that would make Texas' bar her dream. After all, it's Haven and after Christmas episode with the snow globe anything is possible.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It was an ok episode. The trouble of the week was pretty straightforward. You're right about Nathan now diagnosing and curing the troubled person every week. It seems to be headed that way but I really hope not. The best part of the episode was Colin Ferguson. I'm so glad he's on the show now. I hope he's gonna be more than just the guy who brings Audrey back to Haven. I hope he's an important part of the story. I loved him on Eureka and I think he will be pretty awesome here.
Flag
Well, you are both correct, the episode didn't advance at all. One could have missed this episode and miss nothing of the overall story. The case of the week wasn't anything special, we have had a lot of other troubles very similar to this one.

Gislef, actually, her medication is important and something that should have been solved last week already. without her medication, she could hear what happened inside the barn, so now it would be important that she keeps that antenna open, don't you think?
Flag
I like the possibilities raised by her dumping the medication. She is now in Haven, the epicenter of supernatural weirdness. I think it would be awesome if her unblocked powers are now magnified by being there.
Flag
I'd like that too! I hope that something, anything, happens, anyways.
Flag
Well,it's either important, or it's not important as all. She already knows what the Barn has to say in the past. The question, which I'm not sure has a clear answer on the show at this time, is if the Barn is still speaking to her. That to me seems to be the question that needs to be answered. Can it talk if it doesn't exist? (in this reality, at least)
Flag
yes, probably the barn won't talk, but don't you think she might hear something else? Or maybe she will hear over and over again what was said in the barn and find clues for a possible solution - in any case, it is really the only thing of some importance that happened in this episode, I think...
Flag
I have no idea why I can't publish my own review... the "publish" button just doesn't work for me. So here is my review. I would give the episode a strong 7 out of 10 as well.

Summary: The action is moving slowly forward , but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

1. This week we find Audrey (aka Lexie) still in Texas (at least that's where I think she is). She's trying to fend off William, who instists she's not a barmaid. And of course Audrey is not buying it. However, she spots William's gun and gets a bit suspicious. I guess it's considered rude to come to the bar with a hidden leathal weapon. William in a good faith pulls it out and dismantles it. That puts Audrey temporary at ease. After a while the stranger from the last episode returns. Along with his big friend he removes William from the bar with every intention to kill him. That's the moment when a bit of Audrey returns to Lexie - cause she assembles semi-automatic in under 10 seconds. Surely that's not a typical barmaid skill. After few shots the bad guys run away and Audrey finally starts to listen to William and acknowledges that she's not just a barmaid. [Spoilers] - it looks like that in episode 3 we'll find out the answer for the "Am I dead?" question.

IMO the writers are unnecessarily prolonging Lexie's plot. She should be already in the bus heading to Haven. Instead we're looking for yet another episode of Texas' bar - I have nothing against Texas - it's a great State, but I just want Audrey back where she belongs.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced William is linked to Audrey's history. I doubt he's the new barn man. However, he might be a friend of the original Audrey (the one which was cursed long time ago). Thoughts?

2. Meanwhile in Haven there is an epidemic of self-combustion. The first victim is a sister of fireman who died during the meteor shower. And since almost everyone, fireman chief included, blames Nathan for not ending the Troubles - the investigation is stonewalled. Now, we clearly see why Sasquatch is in charge of Haven's PD - Nathan has no authority in the town. Luckily, Jennifer is in the right place at the right time during the "smoking cafe incident"- so she can identify the suspect. It turns out our this week's Trouble person is a fireman who blames himself for the death of his partner (the brother of the first victim). Everyone who thanks him for his service or for example offer him a free ride - poor taxi cab driver - is reduced to ashes. What's even worse - our guy is about to get a medal during a public ceremony - so the whole town is in danger. Fortunately, Nathan finds him in time and helps him to move on. At this point moving on seems like this season main theme.

Side stories - it turns out that Duke's brother has a cheating wife. He's getting a divorce and plans to stay in Haven. Duke is not happy about it - cause The Guard doesn't want another Crocker in town. Things are going to escalate soon.

Jordan still feels betrayed, by Nathan. At this point she basically blames Audrey for all the bad things that happened in her life. Girl, you need to get laid and maybe get a new hairdo.

It looks like Jennifer has the hots for both Nathan and Duke (no wonder). Also she threw away her pills so she's going to hear the barn voices again - I'm not sure if that's such a great idea. Something tells me she's not going to be happy when Audrey finally returns to Haven.

All I have to say is - I want Audrey back in Haven. Nothing else matters. Fingers crossed that at the end of next episode she will board the bus / plane / car / bicycle and return to us.

What are your thoughts? Did you like "Survivors"?
More+
Flag
Which browser are you using? And do you have any kind of adblocking or cookie blocking software on?
Flag
I use Firefox and no as far as I know I don't have any such software.

Also when I try to upload picture to this site to write a story - I get the "uploading" info and nothing ever happens.
Flag
Staff
I just sent you a PM. Ping me when you have a chance. Thanks.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members