A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
You, my child, are the only one who can save us.

And so we come to the end of the season. Not quite as apocalyptic as last year's finale. But some big stuff kinda/sorta happened.

Oddly, a lot of this episode seems to be either showing us things that we already knew, or confirming things that we pretty much already knew.

1) We knew that big evil thing was outside the door.

2) We knew that a mysterious "them" had used the Barn as punishment, and banished William. (And yet, oddly, made him one of the keys to sending him back to wherever.)

3) We knew Jennifer was... unusual.

4) We knew that Audrey's first incarnation* was pretty evil.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah...

I believe the only things that were new were that:

1) Duke has all of the Troubled blood in him percolating, and

2) Dave and Jennifer came from the other place.

I liked the Duke situation, since it's always seemed a bit odd that there was no downside to his Trouble. One drop of blood and he's got superpowers! No need to kill anyone required.

The "other place" people thing was so downplayed that it was kind of meaningless. Dave and Jennifer seem to be nice normal this-dimension people. They're not crabs with human eyes (whatever happened to those?), Dave whines like a human, Jennifer falls in love like a human... Duke said he accepted Jennifer and that was it. Well, given she seems to be 99.99% human, why wouldn't he?

And nothing was really resolved at the end. Presumably Mara will get William back. Jennifer died but will get better. Duke won't explode. We don't know any more about Agent Howard's people then we ever did. The only answer we got is that Mara and William are super-powered beings that brought the Troubles to Haven. And we already kind of knew that, too. So we got a Bigger Bad to top William as the Big Bad**.

Maybe I'll write a season review in the next 6+ months, but it seemed like a lot of early stuff petered out. Nathan being demoted after running out on Haven: dropped. Jordan dead: nobody seemed to care. Wade dead: he got a namecheck but that was about it. Thirteen episodes almost seemed to long for what they wanted to work with.

There was some good stuff, however. Like I noted before, any episode with both Adam Copeland and Jayne Eastwood is high-class stuff. Although Gloria's discussion with Audrey about the afterlife seemed a little out of the blue, Ms. Eastwood hit all the right lines. And then there was the forgiving-Duke scene...

I want my Emmy, byitches!

This is what a high-class actress does. It's also how you write a high-class death scene. Gabrielle Stanton hasn't written this season since the premiere, and Matt McGuiness did the workman-class "Countdown." They should have been writing more. If they had written death scenes for Wade and Jordan, maybe those characters wouldn't have seemed like total wastes this season. Funny that they could give more gravitas to the death of a one-shot character then other writers could do for two recurring characters.

Adam was great as always. I liked Dwight's acknowledging that Duke has what it takes to take point in Haven. I do wish they'd do something with his daughter. Without doing a Google check, I don't really remember a lot about what they've said about her. The statement that Vince took care of the men who killed her was interesting.

I'm back and forth on Dave Teague. Sometime John Dunsworth really conveyed the angst of being the forgotten younger/adopted brother (his "It's not all about you, Vince" bit). And sometimes Dunsworth was chewing scenery with salt and pepper tossed in.

There were also a few clever one-off "gags" that I suspect Matt McGuiness threw in, as that's more his style. Among them was Nathan figuring out where to hit William in something that Audrey doesn't have and therefore couldn't feel through their connection. And giving us audience a vicarious thrill in nailing a really obnoxious character.

And nuts to you!

There was also Dwight using his Trouble in a fairly clever way, which is the way I'd like to see people on the show use their Troubles more often.

The Ballad of the (very) Flexible Bullet

I still like Jennifer as Duke's plucky girlfriend (or Duke as Jennifer's plucky boyfriend). Hopefully her death will be brief, and they don't bring her back to a botched next season of appearances where they kill her off in some ignominious "Girlfriend in the refrigerator" manner (i.e., Kate Kelton and Jordan).

There were also some off moments, though. The episode stopped for a brief flashback to... some time period, with the implication Mara and William weren't around for quite that long - maybe 400 years at most. Then again, maybe the Troubles have only been in Haven for 400 or so years. Seemed they were implying it's been longer, dating back to the Micmacs in the area. Still it was an odd little stop just to tell us things we already knew, that Mara was evil and "they" were chasing them.

But why's the rum gone?***

It also seemed weird that William's two henchmen (as a recapper, I wish they had given them names) were just sitting around on the docks casually fishing. If I was an evil mastermind who could create henchmen, I'd probably have them... well, do something.

Gee, Heavy, what do you want to do today?
Same thing we do every day, Sinister Man--try to take over Haven! Let me just get my darn line untangled...

Generally, it was kind of a roller coaster of good and bad, but the good was gooder than the bad was badder. I suppose that they had to up the ante but William was already pretty much an omnipotent omnipresent villain: what could be worse than him? Guess we'll have to wait until late next summer to find out.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?

-----

* with apologies to Doctor Who fans

** with apologies to Buffy fans

*** with apologies to Pirates of the Caribbean fans

***** with apologies to Pinky and the Brain fans

Comments (82)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If this is the SERIES FINAL and not the SEASON FINAL - I am going to be spitting chips... TOO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS & OPEN STORIES!!!!!!!!!
I thought this was a little bit bland as episodes go and pretty crap for a series final.. Ok yes they have left some cliff hangers - but this season just seemed a little bit less emotionally connecting as it could have been :(
Disappointed.
Flag
I suspect that Mara and Audrey are actually battling for control and this is the way that Nathan is actually important to saving everyone (isn't that what that journal implied?). As Audrey said earlier, Nathan is her heart and he is going to have to appeal to both her heart and another connection that was totally forgotten about this season - they have a child together. But, I will guess the issue will be when she is Audrey, she has no idea how to help Duke, but Mara does. Speaking of children, in a weird OUAT type fashion, I kind of started to wonder if Jennifer might be Mara and William's child.

I also kind of suspect that killing Mara or William will be the cure to at least the bad side of Duke's troubles.

I hope Jennifer isn't dead, while I liked her on her own, I liked what she did for some other characters. With Duke, made him able to see Audrey through pure friendship so he could see the warning side. Nathan randomly didn't seem to like her, but whatever, he only seems to like Audrey and Duke. But the brothers, they were decidedly less cryptic this year.
More+
Flag
As far as I know , Haven hasn't been renewed yet for next year. How upset will us fans be if the series ends with this episode?

"Audrey" being evil? (When I refer to Audrey, I am referring to all her skins and her original self) I don't know if I can get behind that. She has to have some redeemable quality. Mara and William were evil and were punished. Did Mara evolve after every trip into the barn? Doesn't seem so as she seemed to be the same Mara when the show ended.

Looking back, I guess they should have let the barn implode with William and Mara inside, lol.

Emily, still love you from Uncharted!
Flag
Speaking of things I'd like to know about, since we finally got more info on the other side and the barn, I'd like to know more about the other Audrey Parker that turned up in Haven I think at the end of Season 1? She walked into the barn to where? Would be cool if she was kinda hanging out there with the love child.

A good ending to the show would be the barn releasing all incarnations of Audrey/Sarah/Mara so that each of the males has someone to love. (only 80% sarcasm)
Flag
Are you talking about the real Audrey Parker, not the fake Audrey (aka Mara)? If so, in season 2 episode 3, she goes into the Barn and comes back out with memory loss. Nathan calls her boyfriend from out of town and he takes her back home.
Flag
No, maybe this went back to season 1 I can't remember but there was another person that showed up in Haven with Audrey Parker's credentials and memories. She was thin and brunette and she pretty much said the exact same things to Nathan that our Audrey did when she first came to town. If I'm not mistaken, that was the first barn appearance...this alternate Audrey went into it and the barn disappeared.
Flag
Yes, the Audrey plot carried on for a number of episodes, from season 1 episode 13 until season 2 until episode 3. Is this her?

Flag
Yes her!
Flag
It's one of those season finales that seems like it was meant to be a series finale and then got backtracked into mattering a lot less.

The problem is that Haven has jumped a number of sharks by now. The "other side" was a lot more mysterious before it got shown to us in the shape of swirly CG mists... twice. There's very little left to know about Audrey anymore. There's next to nothing left to know about the troubles.

The finale tried to set up a cliffhanger by having Audrey turn heel (I declare the term legit by the presence of WWE Superstar Edge) and leaving half the cast dead or dying, but that seems like it would get resolved in a TV movie or a season opener, leaving the rest of the show flopping like a fish out of water until somebody decides to finish it off.

Don't get me wrong, this season of Haven hasn't been terrible. Colin Ferguson is a hoot as an impish bad guy, and he finally gave the show some series-wide aim other than dealing with monster-of-the-week stuff, but this could have ended the show on a high note and it didn't. As it is, the most interesting thread left for an eventual fifth season is figuring out why Dave gets sucked into the gate when it opens like a wrinkly lemming.
More+
Flag
If think I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that we are left with a lot of question and almost no answers... And I'm not the only one.
Who are "them"?
Where are "them" coming from?
What is the barn and is agent Howard a prison guard?
How old is Audrey and is she with William, Jennifer and Dave an alien?
And where is James? How is that possible that nobody mention just once Audrey and Nathan's son? (or was it Lucy or Sarah's son?)

And there are a lot more. I liked this season but a bit less than the others. I think that there were too many rushes for too many things. And it's brings too many unresolved questions.
But the next season seems promising with Duke sicks, Evil Mara back, Jen maybe dead (even if I don't think so) and apparently something even more evil than William/Mara out here.

I hope that the writers will take their time and not rushing things. And answer some questions!!!

See you next year Haven. Renew it SyFy!!!!
Flag
Last night's Haven:

Last night's Grimm:

Twins separated at birth?

Flag
Same thought exactly when I watched Grimm just after Haven :
Flag
Also, maybe it's just me, but is threatening to beat Nathan really an effective persuasion technique to get Audrey to do something? Yes, the goons will break stuff, but it's not like Nathan will feel any pain.
Flag
He feels pain when the hits are coming from William. And even if he doesn't felt it that doesn't mean he can't die from concussion or interneal bleeding!
Flag
I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but one thing that may have bothered people about the ending on a subconscious level is... where was Audrey and Nathan's great love?

Yes, Nathan made one or two "Oh, Audrey don't give in, use the power of love to hold onto yourself" pleas. Which... ultimately didn't work. But last year the whole thing was about the great sacrifice Audrey had to make, and Nathan losing her forever.

This season finale, we got more about Duke and Jennifer's love than Audrey and Nathan's.
Flag
Frankly I was flat tired of it and didn't miss it at all. Seemed like they spent the bulk of the season whining about finding Audrey and how much she loved Nathan. I was pleased to see it not get more attention. I enjoyed the Duke/Jennifer romance though. I like seeing Duke paired off, that way he doesn't start whining about Audrey too LOL.
Flag
Perhaps. But like it or not, the Audrey/Nathan romance (doomed or otherwise) is at the heart of the show. I would have rather seen it get less emphasis early on once Audrey returned, and more in the finale, than vice versa.
Flag
That might have been better or just a better balance in general of the whole love affair. It was really thrust at us early on and then pretty much ignored at the end. Like I said, I enjoyed the break from it but I could have lived with it had it been better balanced. Or at least consistent. Kinda felt like near the end the writers had forgotten all about it.
Flag
One thing that may have bothered me about William: given he was trapped outside for 400+ years... where did he pick up his perfect mastery of 21st century speaking patterns and idioms?
Flag
I see we are all agreeing that this was a bad second part of the season and badly written. First they moved the story into an entirely new level of explanations and then the rushed it like hell. I suppose it can all be fixed in a new season by giving us the huge load of information that we need and some path back to what we wanted from Haven and our characters. But right now I'm feeling lazy about it. Such a different feeling from the end of the other seasons of Haven...
Flag
So, Duke is kind of the sin eater now (thinking more of "The Order" version than "sleepy Hollow" but either works...)? I actually liked that development because there had to be some consequence to killing people in order to rid the future generation of its troubles.

I'm on the fence about this "Mara" twist. If it brings in more flashback scenes of "William"/Colin Ferguson then I think I can get on board. Evil character? Yes. Enjoyable? Most definitely! Aside from Duke, William was the highlight of a season that was like riding on a roller coaster.

Has there been any renewal news? I did a quick search here and didn't see anything or come across anything on twitter.
Flag
"So, Duke is kind of the sin eater now (thinking more of "The Order" version than "sleepy Hollow" but either works...)? I actually liked that development because there had to be some consequence to killing people in order to rid the future generation of its troubles."

Umm...technically that wasn't a development but a re-integration of THE SAME because Duke always had the Crocker curse, it just got taken away for a few episodes.
As far as "evil" goes, I like it too but only if it's exciting a tangible. This was terribly written. Mara? Ugh!
Poor Colin Ferguson he just barely saved the William character from completely ridiculous unwatchable.
He's a good actor and it wasn't him, it was bad writing.
Nothing official yet but I'm betting it'll get renewed at least for a final season.
Flag
I guess it just depends on how you look at it. When Duke was first dealing with the "Crocker curse" he didn't have any real lasting effects. When the curse was returned to him it then had a bigger consequence. Therefore, to me, that makes it a development because its the same but not the same.
Flag
As I noted on the other review thread, SyFy is usually pretty upfront about announcing cancellations and giving the show creators time to wrap things up. If they haven't announced a cancellation before the end of this season, I'd say it's about 85% likely Haven will be renewed.

But nothing official, no.
Flag
I thought I was the only one looking for the human eyed crabs! I actually kinda liked them and thought they would be sort of mascots....aside from the whole harbinger of bad news thing. I'm sort of all over the place with this season finale. I've spent most of the season all over the place though. I'm not sure I'm feeling the whole now let's turn Audrey into the bad guy thing. I never had great feelings for her character in the first place...sort of odd since she's the protagonist I know. I really hated her stint as Lexy. I get more enjoyment from the troubles themselves and Duke, Nathan and the rest. Just never really cared for Audrey. I found the whole rescue her thing quite annoying but I do understand why it was necessary.

This epi....very interested in the Dave storyline and what will happen to Duke (my fave!) but I agree with the reviewer...not too much was resolved here.
Flag
Duke is also my favorite. I mostly still watch Haven because of him. And I believe I'm not the only one, and writers must know, because he has have most of the protagonism this season: we have seen more of Duke-Jennifer love development than Nathan-Audrey's; Duke was the first one discovering the real Audrey in Lexie, also the first one in notice Mara growing inside Audrey, and of course all those chapters centered in his Crocker problems. He got rid of his trouble, and recovered in the end with a really bad downside. I'm all in for another season of Duke.
Flag
Oh yeah, and what did happen to the creepy eyed crabs. Not a plot device if you don't use em.
Flag
Heck, what happened to all the other signs of the apocalypse? They said that the crabs would be a sign, not the only sign.
Flag
Wow, like everyone else I'm a little disappointed with this season ender. I thought they could have done a way better job tying up all of the Lucy (no pun intended) goosey plot lines. However, making Audrey/Mara the new big bad--Stroke of genius. They should have made that a little more believable though. No one wants to believe she is the big bad so they should have started Audrey having flashbacks a bit earlier in the season. William just saying it was so was not enough. The writers needed to lead us into it a bit more, so when she chooses to be Mara then we can have time to really start to hate her. Yep--disappointed.
Flag
Same here. Terrible execution (pun intended) of storylines.
Flag
Actually, a way that they could have saved the season come to mind. Once I go into recapper limbo for a week or so here over the break, I'll see about posting it here.
Flag
it was kinda meh imho.

oh and who saw 'mara' coming back at the end even before william said 'there she is' as 'audrey let him go'

how to save duke ? give him a blood transfusion from someone human / non troubled ? sorted !

or a good troubled person who does healing stuff ?

not sure what to make of jennifer suddenly 'dying' as if her soul/mind was sucked back in and something else took 'her place' ? also dave again outta nowhere takes another strange turn..
Flag
So many thoughts and feelings! I still need time to process everything. Brilliant finale. I loved seeing William soften as his connection to Audrey!Mara grew stronger. He was a fun big bad during the season. But shades of grey are more intriguing over the long term, especially with so-called 'evil' characters.
The mystery of the Teague brothers is slowly unravelling. Dave has always been different. Remember he was the first one to see the barn, even before Audrey could see it. Call backs to past seasons like that really show the writers have a solid game plan for the story and characters.
The William/Mara flashbacks were amazing. I need more! Sarah was one of the strongest episodes of the series. Hopefully we get a few episodes set in the Mara timeline next season that are of the same calibre.
Duke's had such a hard season. There will be tremendous conflict between Mara and Duke if he survives. Audrey and Duke always had a deep connection and understanding of each other because of their abilities. But I'm pretty sure they will hate each other now that Audrey is gone.
SyFy needs to renew Haven now! There's still so much to discover and enjoy. I just wish the season were longer, or the writers had the freedom to go full on serialized and leave behind the troubles of the week episodes. The show would be much stronger if it was serialized.
More+
Flag
"The mystery of the Teague brothers is slowly unravelling. Dave has always been different. Remember he was the first one to see the barn, even before Audrey could see it. Call backs to past seasons like that really show the writers have a solid game plan for the story and characters."

Actually it was Vince Teague who saw the barn first.

"This show would be so much better if it was serialised."

I agree. EVERY show would be better if it was serialised especially Haven.
Flag
The seconds half of the season was just insane in a bad way. It took a 180 degree turn in to weird all mystery, zero answers territory. Who/what are Mara and Whiliam? Why they gave troubles to people- for fun (so dumb). What was The barn? Who prisoned Mara in the barn? What is on the other side of the door? What are this mysterious orb things that create troubles, monsters and people? At least one answer, now it is cheep and stupid.
Flag
I agree with all of the above, all of the below, and NO, there is no end to Lucas Bryant's hotness.

So, it isn't Audrey that's being punished, but Mara and it appears the love of HER life is William. If Mara kills William, does that end the troubles?

I hope there is another season because I really don't want this show to end on this note.

Flag
I agree with all of you, the finale was a let down. I love Haven, but this finale left too many things unresolved. I feel like the writers waited until the last two episodes to cram everything in. Also the last two episodes felt different than the rest, but I kinda liked it.

I really thought when Audrey gave Duke his trouble back, it would change in a way that when he touches a trouble's blood, it would make their trouble disappear, but he wouldn't have to kill them. I really thought that the no-crying trouble guy wouldn't die. Audrey, Nathan, and Duke always saved the day at the end, but not his time.

I have so many questions and I really hope we have a season 5 with all the answers. NBC/SyFy have a tendency to not renew or renege on a renewal after a certain number of seasons.

These are the questions I am dying to know:
-Seriously, what the hell happened to James?
-Who was the one who hit him in the head when he was around when Lucy was around?
-What is the other world like?
-Why is the other world so scary?
-Who does Agent Howard work for/with?
-Who are "they"?
-Does Agent Howard have a replacement?
-How old are William and Audrey?
-Where do the black seeds come from?
-Why were the black seeds created in the first place?
-What are William and Audrey?
-Who are the parents of Audrey, William, Jennifer, and Dave?
-If the other world is so scary as Dave mentioned, why are babies being born and put into adoption into this world by agent Howard?
-At what age was Dave adopted? What did he see? What does he know?
-Why is the other world pulling Dave, but not Jennifer and Audrey?
-Does William and Maura have other hobbies/interests than giving people troubles? Don't they have a job or something?
-They keep saying bad things will come out of the door if they open it? What are the bad things?
-I am still confused by Vince's trouble, what is it?
-If Vince is in charge of the guards and he has them at his disposal, how come none of them were there in the lighthouse for backup? or anywhere in the last two episodes?
-Doesn't Wade's cheating wife know that Wade is dead?
-Were the bodies that Wade put in the lake given proper burials?
-Will Haven be renewed?
-Is there no end to Lucas Bryant's hotness?
-How am I going to last until late next summer, assuming that Haven is renewed?

More+
Flag
Great questions. The fact that the list of questions is that long says a lot about how bad this season was.
You should seriously send that list to the Haven writers.
Flag
I was thinking about it, but I don't want to sound like a crazy fan. Will send it if there are no renewals news though.
Flag
Going by SyFy's track records, it' most likely to get renewal for one final season.
Flag
I'll add to the list: Why is it suddenly a bad idea for Audrey to kill Nathan?
Flag
Giself, I believe I owe you an apology.
WHAT HAPPENED? WHAT HAPPENED TO HAVEN? WHERE AM I?
Wow! A lot of good ideas amounted to well - a whole lot of terribly executed ideas. I have to admit, I'm really disappointed. Yes I know, I was the person shaking her fist at anyone who said anything bad (Giself) about this season of Haven but now, having seen the finale and the way "all the loose threads" came together (or came apart tbh) I'm not impressed. So, I'd like to apologise for being hard on you Giself. I'm sorry. I didn't want to believe that Haven had gone off the rails. However, I was wrong and I'm sorry. I still think that refusing to give a show a rating lower then 7 based on a personal principal is bananas but I'm sorry for everything else. Yes, I had to come back and read your review after watching the finale and now I understand your frustration with this season. You were right!
First of all, Havens strength was always Audrey and her enigmatic past. However, the nonsensical mishmash this season, of one bad revelation after another, has totally taken a dump on the once wonderful mystery of Audrey Parker. As much as I didn't want to admit it, introducing William and making him this terrible non-threatening villain was a great injustice not just to the show but to Colin Ferguson as well. He's such a charismatic guy but this character was so wrong for him. Hell, the William character was just wrong, no matter who played him. What's worse is he never really came across as a villain. He was mystery nice guy at the start of the season and then, he turned into evil-for-the-sake-of-evil without ever really coming across like the big bad threat that he was supposed to be. The mystery behind the origins of Audrey was the thing that got me hooked on Haven. However, now that we've had this revelation that she was originally this evil chick from another world (that we know nothing about) that created and gave people troubles because it made her nether regions tingle feel good was just so anti-climactic and kind of dumb. This season would've been so much better if it focused on Lucy, the barn, James (Audrey and Nathan's son! Hello?) and Audrey and Nathan's relationship. Actually, like I said before, I originally loved all of the conceptual elements about this season like the barn, Jennifer, Audrey's return as Lexie, Nathan and Audrey finally getting together, Duke and Jennifer getting together. That coupled with all of the other questions floating around like The Guard, are Vince and Dave troubled and what secrets are they keeping. These were all great questions and good ideas but the way they came together didn't work. Yes making a TV show as it turns out, is not very easy no matter how many great ideas you have. This season finale made that very clear. Making good television is hard! I mean, take it from the writers and producers of Haven. Good ideas - terrible execution.
WE STILL DONT KNOW ANYTHING! But what's worse, I'm no longer really that interested or invested to even want to follow up on these reveals. I don't care about Mara and the world that she's from!
Wow, I don't know. I loved this crazy-fun SyFy show but now I just feel really let down. I can only hope that the writers get their shit together next season and get themselves out of this mess. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm so disappointed - it hurts. BIG SAD FACE :-(
Giself, I apologise for my arrogance and I now get where your frustration came from. I guess I'm just a little late for the party but nevertheless, I'm sorry for being so hard on you.
More+
Flag
As to the rest of your comments, I really want to at least review my notes for all the episodes this season before doing an overall Season 4 review.

I tend to agree with you, and my main unhappiness for the last half of the season stemmed from the William character. Colin Ferguson, I never thought was giving a bad performance. But I think he was given a bad character to perform. There were no limits on his power, other than what the writers needed in any given week. And he seemed to be evil just to be evil. Haven has always been about shades of grade, where you either have power out of control or people doing the wrong thing for what they think is the right reason,

William came across more as a comic book villain, and that just didn't seem right for the show. That's not to say that comic book villains can't have motives and feelings, as William did, but basically those motives and feelings take a backseat to "Ooh, look at me, I'm evil."

As for the first half, I think my main problem with it was that they tossed out too much stuff and then either shut it down almost immediately (Nathan going from S1-3 near-savior of the town to pariah), or made it clear that they weren't going to answer (and as you noted, they didn't).
More +
Flag
I agree 100% especially in regards to William and this is spot on:

"William came across more as a comic book villain, and that just didn't seem right for the show. That's not to say that comic book villains can't have motives and feelings, as William did, but basically those motives and feelings take a backseat to "Ooh, look at me, I'm evil."

So true! I really like Colin Ferguson as well but he got a terrible gig. I would've understood William as character if they at least made his intentions towards Audrey/Mara seem like they come from a pure place of wanting the woman that he loves back. However, it never came across that way. He always seemed to be teasing or mocking her and just generally being a total jerk.

Yes, that first half with Nathan was executed badly as well. First of all, I could never fully get behind his suicidal/martyr reasoning. To me, it wasn't convincing. The other thing, I spent 3 seasons waiting for Audrey and Nathan to get together but when it finally happened, I didn't really feel it. It all felt really cheap and unconvincing. Especially the scene between the two of them and the gun. That just didn't translate the way I think that it was intended to. Like not once did I actually think or feel that Nathan's life was in danger or that the two of them were torn up about the whole "Nathan has to die" thing. Don't even get me started on Wade Crocker and Jordan's weirdo motives and wasted death. Ugh!
Like I said, all of these ideas were good on paper I'm sure but the execution was terrible. Oh Haven!
More +
Flag
No apologies necessary. :)

But as I noted a while back, I rate episodes based on... well, everything. I'd still argue that any episode that I gave a 7 to is better than 70% of what's out there in general network/cable drama, of everything that I watch. So i give it a 7. Some I've rated lower, some I've rated higher. But not much beyond a 7 range.

If I were rating it just internally against just Haven episodes, it'd be lower, and the show rating would have dipped a bit this year. But is that the best way to rate it? I don't know. I suspect that my show rating overall would be a 6 after this year, but I've never seen the point of rating a show before it concludes, either.
Flag
Thank you for your understanding and accepting my apologies.
I totally get your reasoning now that you've explained it. I too would've given a Haven a 8/10 back in Season 3 but now I think a 6/10 is more appropriate. It's amazing how one season can make or break a show.
Flag
P.S. Looking forward to your whole season review.
Flag
Totally agree. The first half of the seaon with Lexi was far better than the second half. Also Jordan running amok, Audrey hiding her return as herself, the whole keeping secrets from Wade etc was far more interesting than the whole contradictory and pulled out of nowhere William plot.
Flag
RE: Mara and William in middle ages drab i thought that is when they got caught/punished/separated -cca 400 yrs ago. Them being mischievous was probably going on for a while before that (might as well been a 1000 yrs as far as we know)

as far as finale ep goes and the whole season, hmmm. i'm a bit confused/let down too. would have liked it so much better had they all realized sooner that William is not their biggest threat (how didn't they put that together?) but at least it looks like next season will be fun with Mara around, and a serious Big Bad arc.

the Duke and Jennifer in danger/dying did affect me emotionally as i really love Duke and really loved he had a girlfriend. but i'm sure u're right and they will fix them (hopefully Jennifer too)

so yeah. hopefully next year we will get more flashed out mythology of this other side, people from there, and 'they'
Flag
I can kind of buy that they didn't talk much to William because he was busy tormenting them all the time. But you think he would have mentioned it as some point, if only in a boastful, "Hey, if you think I'm bad, wait to you see what you could have gotten instead" sort of way.

It strikes me as the writers trying to find a way to top themselves. William could do pretty much anything, and it was only his connection to Audrey that made him vulnerable. If what's next is even more powerful, how do deal with that? Haven as never struck me as that kind of show, but they made it much more... comic bookish this year.
Flag
Well, no wonder it never occured to them that William isn't the biggest threat, considering they never even bothered questioning him.

I mean seriously, the guy was walking around freely and is always available when they wanted to chat about the random trouble of the week, didn't anyone bother asking him anything about their past?
Flag
not even that bothered by william magically walking freely. but the no questioning!! no conversation what so ever. no thinking if mara and willaim are there bad magically aliens or witches or whatever that there might be more of them. like the whole population of such beings. like maaaybe william and mara just ran away from home cuz home is so terrible and did what they did in haven cuz that is how their ppl roll. maybe what ever punished these horrible mara and william is something even more scary/horrible than them??
whatever
i just can't stand not thinking things through, ignoring the big picture and stupidity. and haven is always in this chasing its' own tail mode. just thinking an inch ahead, and trying to dispose of the immediate problem they see before them (without thinking steps ahead, of course)
so annoying!!
it's a wonder william even bothered hooping around these people who didn't bother that much with him (beyond exclaiming 'we must get rid of him' -lol) mara must have been a great laid or something

Flag
By walking freely, I meant that at any point anyone could have come up to him.

Even if Audrey didn't want to risk becoming Mara by talking to William, you'd think that Duke, Nathan, Vince, Jennifer, Dwight, the geezers or anyone else in town would bother talking to him.

Heck the first half of the season shows us the guard showing up ready at a drop of a hat to kill Nathan and\or Audrey just for a chance to end the troubles. Now nobody bothers to even talk to William who clearly knows more than anyone else?
Flag
Yes, but they were created out of the black globes. William wasn't, so he couldn't just take himself apart the way he took them apart.

So from everything we saw, they could have imprisoned William. But since he seemed to be able to do anything he wanted to (Wolverine-like healing ability - no problem!), and could appear anywhere in Haven, teleportation doesn't seem to be beyond him if the writer's wanted it.
Flag
Slight correction, they did in fact arrest his goons. They simply turned into the black stuff and floated out.

Of course they could have tried other stuff, like a tight seal cell or something (can they pass through walls?)
Flag
Well, they never tried to arrest him or his goons, either. Okay, they can't hurt him because of his connection to Audrey, but why not put some cuffs on him? It was only his threat of "You take me in, more people die" that stopped them. But with the baby incident, people were dying in droves anyway. (is 8 a "drove"? :) )
Flag
Exactly. I agree 100% with every point you brought up. Why hasn't anyone had a proper "ok you're going to explain everything to me" moment with William? He seemed more then willing to talk about everything that happened in the past.
Spot on about chasing their own tales and the sheer stupidity behind some of their actions, or should I say in-actions.
Flag
Yes, Williams sight-seeing in Haven was ridiculous. Yes I get that "he was supposed to be this big threat who is threatening to keep troubling people" but if they had just locked him in a cell the whole thing would've been a lot more plausible and more interesting. The whole William arc just didn't work. I can see what they were "trying" to do but somehow the whole thing got lost in translation. There's trying to do a good story and then there's actually succeeding in doing it - Haven didn't succeed in the execution of these stories. Sigh What a shame, what a letdown. I know Havens not top-notch TV but I expected better.
Flag
And no matter how many people died because they locked William up and he refused to help them on the current mess he created... how many would have died from the next Troubled incident he created?

Of course, we have no idea a jail would have held him anyway (darn omnipotent villain syndrome!), but nobody bothered to try.
Flag
I couldn't agree with that more.
Flag
I have to say overall the finale was disapointing. The door was just thrown in at the last moment and doesn't seem to fit with anything.

A door that only 4 people from the other side can open, which you never guarantee to have?
And I hate magical prophecies, guiding books, deus-ex-machina idiotic plot devices that are basically "go here because I said so"

And Mara being punished for breaking rules seems silly,
Audrey asked Howard if she's being punished and he said "It would seem so" or something on that like. As in it looks like it but not really.
And what is the point of him telling her she is too much human?
Or what was the purpose of the barn in the first place?
Not to mention (the usual rant) about nobody gives a damn about James or Arla.
Basically this season just took a huge dump on the previous season which in my opinion was the best one.

Also, if William created his henchmen in this world, how were they in the barn? How did Willaim make it to the barn and why only now and not anytime before?

Too many questions are open and not in the great "oh, let's try to solve a mystery" but rather more on the lines of "oh, yeah, we said something about that, let's ignore it and hope people would forget"

I'm not even getting to the fact that if Jennifer was so special because she was from the other side - why wasn't the, so obviously old guy from the other dimension guy since they made it clear he is adopted last episode, equally special? Why couldn't he read the book?

And I have to also rant about Mara being an extremely cliched name for other worldly ancient women.

Anyhow, basing on Audrey being Mara now and that the next season will probably be its last (as is usually the way with sci-fi shows stopping at 5 seasons) I'm guessing will get some closer but dozens of stuff will remain open for nothing.

I'm going to bet on Mara killing William in the finale, ending the troubles since she kills someone she loves but we'll get something dumb like this would kill Mara but not Audrey or something.

Also, I'm betting on them doing at least 1 episode where Audrey is physically or imagining herself talking to all previous incarnations of herself.

P.S
What was that iditotic stuff with the crabs?

P.S.S
If Duke absorbed all the troubles his family ever did... doesn't that mean he should have Jordan's trouble and people can't touch him?
More+
Flag
They said the purpose of the Barn was to punish Audrey. Presumably it gave Mara a new helpful persona, forcing her to make up for the evil she did.

If Mara wasn't human, and the Barn made her human, and then she went too far and became too much human (by falling in love with Nathan), that would be the point of telling her she is too much human. More human than they intended, at any rate.

But yeah, I noted that having William be one of the keys to opening the door to send him back didn't make much sense. Presumably there were at least four adopted kids, and they only had time to find two, so they needed to fill in with William and Audrey.
Flag
But the kids that Howard brought were in completely different time periods. How did they know that the older dude wouldn't just get hit by a bus?

It just seems too much pulled out of their you know what at the last second.
Flag
We don't know that he only brought over 2 children. Like Gislef is saying, there may be more just in case some one got hit by a bus.
Flag
Well, they were a little rushed for time... Howard seemed to have made some effort to conceal his/their involvement.

Another unanswered question is, where is the rest of "they"? Howard seemed to be hanging around pretty constantly. Did the rest of "they" just leave him on Earth and go off elsewhere? Was Howard a permanent guardian? Did they rotate guardians in? Why aren't "they" reacting to Howard's death to see what happened? Or what?
Flag
And yet neither the entire gang searching for them couldn't find them nor could William.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members