A Haven Community
Friday 10:00 PM on Syfy (Returning "See No Evil" premiering late summer 2014)
You, my child, are the only one who can save us.

And so we come to the end of the season. Not quite as apocalyptic as last year's finale. But some big stuff kinda/sorta happened.

Oddly, a lot of this episode seems to be either showing us things that we already knew, or confirming things that we pretty much already knew.

1) We knew that big evil thing was outside the door.

2) We knew that a mysterious "them" had used the Barn as punishment, and banished William. (And yet, oddly, made him one of the keys to sending him back to wherever.)

3) We knew Jennifer was... unusual.

4) We knew that Audrey's first incarnation* was pretty evil.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah...

I believe the only things that were new were that:

1) Duke has all of the Troubled blood in him percolating, and

2) Dave and Jennifer came from the other place.

I liked the Duke situation, since it's always seemed a bit odd that there was no downside to his Trouble. One drop of blood and he's got superpowers! No need to kill anyone required.

The "other place" people thing was so downplayed that it was kind of meaningless. Dave and Jennifer seem to be nice normal this-dimension people. They're not crabs with human eyes (whatever happened to those?), Dave whines like a human, Jennifer falls in love like a human... Duke said he accepted Jennifer and that was it. Well, given she seems to be 99.99% human, why wouldn't he?

And nothing was really resolved at the end. Presumably Mara will get William back. Jennifer died but will get better. Duke won't explode. We don't know any more about Agent Howard's people then we ever did. The only answer we got is that Mara and William are super-powered beings that brought the Troubles to Haven. And we already kind of knew that, too. So we got a Bigger Bad to top William as the Big Bad**.

Maybe I'll write a season review in the next 6+ months, but it seemed like a lot of early stuff petered out. Nathan being demoted after running out on Haven: dropped. Jordan dead: nobody seemed to care. Wade dead: he got a namecheck but that was about it. Thirteen episodes almost seemed to long for what they wanted to work with.

There was some good stuff, however. Like I noted before, any episode with both Adam Copeland and Jayne Eastwood is high-class stuff. Although Gloria's discussion with Audrey about the afterlife seemed a little out of the blue, Ms. Eastwood hit all the right lines. And then there was the forgiving-Duke scene...

I want my Emmy, byitches!

This is what a high-class actress does. It's also how you write a high-class death scene. Gabrielle Stanton hasn't written this season since the premiere, and Matt McGuiness did the workman-class "Countdown." They should have been writing more. If they had written death scenes for Wade and Jordan, maybe those characters wouldn't have seemed like total wastes this season. Funny that they could give more gravitas to the death of a one-shot character then other writers could do for two recurring characters.

Adam was great as always. I liked Dwight's acknowledging that Duke has what it takes to take point in Haven. I do wish they'd do something with his daughter. Without doing a Goggle check, I don't really remember a lot about what they've said about her. The statement that Vince took care of the men who killed her was interesting.

I'm back and forth on Dave Teague. Sometime John Dunsworth really conveyed the angst of being the forgotten younger/adopted brother (his "It's not all about you, Vince" bit). And sometimes Dunsworth was chewing scenery with salt and pepper tossed in.

There were also a few clever one-off "gags" that I suspect Matt McGuiness threw in, as that's more his style. Among them was Nathan figuring out where to hit William in something that Audrey doesn't have and therefore couldn't feel through their connection. And giving us audience a vicarious thrill in nailing a really obnoxious character.

And nuts to you!

There was also Dwight using his Trouble in a fairly clever way, which is the way I'd like to see people on the show use their Troubles more often.

The Ballad of the (very) Flexible Bullet

I still like Jennifer as Duke's plucky girlfriend (or Duke as Jennifer's plucky boyfriend). Hopefully her death will be brief, and they don't bring her back to a botched next season of appearances where they kill her off in some ignominious "Girlfriend in the refrigerator" manner (i.e., Kate Kelton and Jordan).

There were also some off moments, though. The episode stopped for a brief flashback to... some time period, with the implication Mara and William weren't around for quite that long - maybe 400 years at most. Then again, maybe the Troubles have only been in Haven for 400 or so years. Seemed they were implying it's been longer, dating back to the Micmacs in the area. Still it was an odd little stop just to tell us things we already knew, that Mara was evil and "they" were chasing them.

But why's the rum gone?***

It also seemed weird that William's two henchmen (as a recapper, I wish they had given them names) were just sitting around on the docks casually fishing. If I was an evil mastermind who could create henchmen, I'd probably have them... well, do something.

Gee, Heavy, what do you want to do today?
Same thing we do every day, Sinister Man--try to take over Haven! Let me just get my darn line untangled...

Generally, it was kind of a roller coaster of good and bad, but the good was gooder than the bad was badder. I suppose that they had to up the ante but William was already pretty much an omnipotent omnipresent villain: what could be worse than him? Guess we'll have to wait until late next summer to find out.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?

-----

* with apologies to Doctor Who fans

** with apologies to Buffy fans

*** with apologies to Pirates of the Caribbean fans

***** with apologies to Pinky and the Brain fans

Follow this Show
Members