A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
No, I don't think you do, Detective Wor-or-Nose.

Now that is an episode. IMO the first one that really has risen to the show's usual levels. We had playful banter, the Nathan/Audrey partnership with a twist or two, less of Nathan's constant whining, a little less of Jordan's constant whining, a pretty blunt but still interesting Trouble of the Week, and a couple of decent plot twists.

The main thing was Emily Rose's performance, where she got to cut loose as Lexie. It also let the writer Brian Millikin engage in some meta-joking. Included were the pronunciation of Nathan's last name, the curiosity about why anyone would live in Haven, and the suspicion that maybe all of the Troubles are caused by Audrey's Trouble. At least I've wondered if that was the case for a while.

The ending wasn't entirely surprising, but still pleasant. And I didn't anticipate how Lexie would finish off the Troubled person of the week. Although... that seems kind of hardcore. Yeah, they couldn't negotiate with Tyler, and he had nothing to lose. But Lexie/Audrey basically set him up to kill himself. I don't recall her so deliberately murdering a Troubled person in the past. But it seems like they're going to sluff this off.

We got the anticipated Duke/Jennifer relationship. Hopefully they'll have her Troubled ability manifest in some other way. Otherwise, as she noted, she's basically "cured" and is basically just there as Duke's love interest.

Emma Lahana is okay at any rate. At least her character doesn't whine like Jordan. Or is so wooden she could float, like Wade. Putting two null forces like Jordan and Wade together should theoretically cause some kind of gravitational implosion, shouldn't it?

Dwight got kind of backburnered this week. I'm not sure I like him taking orders from Vince, to the point where he drops a case and lets Nathan and Lexie handle it. I'm also not entirely happy with Vince flipping back and forth from heartbroken wreck (visiting Audrey's supposed corpse in the morgue), to vicious guy threatening to kill people (his warning to Duke tonight).

What is it with Kirsty Hinchcliffe? Is she married to someone on the staff? Okay, yes, Officer Rafferty is a tolerable character. But she doesn't really have the raw animal magnetism and sex appeal of Stan the Cop. Stan's been in two episodes this season, Dr. Lucassi has been in one, and Rafferty gets... four episodes?

What is it with confusing fight scenes on TV these days? The opening bit was horrible. Jordan yells at her men to "Get Parker! Get Wournos!" And... no one gets Parker. Yeah, she doesn't try to run, but she could have. We never see how Duke got defeated. And I wonder about that one poor guard who was apparently ordered to just hang out near the trucks and clothesline anybody who runs buy. "What was that huge-ass explosion up on the hill, guys?" "Oh, nothing to worry about, Jim-Bob. You just hang out there and guard the trucks."

The Trouble of the Week was... forgettable. Nothing too bizarre, just basic body-puppetry 101. We only had three guest stars, and there was no effort to make us care about any of them.

Overall, I'm giving this an 8. At least it was a decent mystery case, and the relationship work and the plot twists boosted it above my usual average of 7.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. What do you think?
Comments (35)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I saw the premier today. Its not bad.
Flag
Best Episode So Far! - SPOILERS -

I am so happy that Audrey - the real one - is finally back. Even if Lexie was a lot of fun (such a good performance girl!), I was starting to miss the heartbreak factor between Nathan and Audrey... It will be still interesting how and when Audrey will come clean towards Nathan.

Duke is so cool and cute! Actually I would have preferred him as a love interest for Audrey, but now he is obviously "out of the game" due to lovely Jennifer.

And - yeah, you are right - Vince and Dave get on my nerves, too, causing just unnecessary chaos.

Jordan used to be one of my favourite characters back in the day with her heartbreaking trouble - but nowadays she is so obsessed with being a bitch about killing Nathan as soon as possible... Stop it! Be cool!

Can't wait to see the next episode...
Flag
It's definitely Parker, but I love how Audrey just stands there like 'what' lol. The trouble of the week was terrible imo, I got confused straight away as to who Katie was with but I was half paying attention as my son was keyboard bashing! I love Jennifer & Duke together, troubled or not, she could be the making of him. However I NEVER liked Nathan with Audrey, he's really really selfish & pretty much always has been, I still don't care what anybody says, when he slept with Sarah, he was with Audrey, it's still cheating!! Lol, that plot line really irritated me as Audrey just shrugged it off. NO woman would do that. Vince & Dave used to be loveable, but now I honestly have no idea who is doing what, which week one of them is the good guy, bad guy, or both! Jennifer's dialogue with Tyler(Duke) was funny, the part about missing and shooting him in the face ^_^. My absolute favourite part all of the way through this was the realisation that the person who discovered Audrey is really Audrey, was Duke, not Nathan, the supposed love of her life, but Duke, it made me smile. If you loved someone as much as Nathan moans on, he'd know, instantly. But nope, he's blind to it, cos he's stupid. But super Duke who has always known her better, realised it in one swift move. Suck it WarNose!
More+
Flag
Jordan was actually saying " forget cracker, get wuornos!"

the case was a bit blah to be sure but it was interesting to see Eric Balfour be Tyler in duke. No big change but subtleties that led to a kiss with Jennifer. I liked them together so I really don't mind if she stays put even as a love interest... I doubt it though. Barn may be gone but William is still somewhere in the void and James and arla too. I kinda suspected that Audrey was lexie... Everyonce in a while when she would look at Nathan there was a pained look like, "i have to push you away to save you". Now this begs the question though.... Does she rememebr all her personalities or just Audrey and Lexie.

Still best episode of the season. Hopefully no more whiny nathan, Jordan should die, and wade well he should after killing the person leave or something and I hope that Dwight has a bigger and smarter role next week.

While I get why Audrey has to keep up the charade for the town, I hope nathan is smart enough to pick up on it soon....

pancakes. :)
More+
Flag
Sorry, no matter how many times I play it back, it sure seems like she's saying "Get Parker."
Flag
and it is indeed 'forget Crocker, get Wuornos', after I re-watched the sequence like 4 times. And it makes more sense, than yours 'forget Parker' also, since at that time Duke started fighting guards and urged Nathan to run, so Jordan yelling to other go after Nathan and just skip beating Duke down is so much more logical, given the fact that Audrey as Lexie wasn't going anywhere at the time
Flag
Huh? I might need to re-watch that part but I've also hear 'forget Crocker'
Flag
Is this show any good? Or is it like most of what you see on syfy channel?
Is it gritty and adult oriented, or made for children or "family"? Whats the hook?
Flag
I would definitely recommend it. Not cause of its gritty and adult oriented nature... Which I think it is a bit... I mean as much a syfy can manage and while at times a bit frustrating (every show is though) it is compelling enough, compared to some of the other syfy stuff.
Flag
I liked Alphas somewhat. That was good enough to follow.
Flag
Ahhh I forgot about alphas. Yeah I think a cross between alphas and eureka would be a good way to look at it.
Flag
I'd compare it to Warehouse 13 and Eureka, rather than... whatever you think is gritty and adult oriented on Syfy (direct to video movies? reality shows?).

The hook is that a small town in Maine is plagued by a genetic disposition called "The Troubles," where people have strange abilities that run out of control. The Troubles come every 26 years Besides dealing with those every week, the mystery of the show is what is causing the Troubles and why a mysterious woman shows up every 26 years with immunity to their effects and a desire to help those that are afflicted.
Flag
That sounds kinda interesting actually. I'll checkitout.
Flag
Actually Officer Rafferty is married to someone on the show, Nathan. I didn't even realize it was her until I read this post. But I agree, I like Stan better.
Flag
Actually, I think Jordan yelled "Forget Parker! Get Wournos!" It's rather hard to tell, but that makes much more sense.
Flag
I love Officer Rafferty - make her a regular!!! She's awesome!!!

As for other stuff - read my review :)

Thanks for review Gislef - it's always great to see how differently we recieve the show.
Flag
I am wondering what Duke was thinking at the end, during that hug, though. He didn't look happy, he looked sort of... unhappy, and determined. There wasn't even relief there for a moment.

Was that just because he now knows that he's going to have to keep this from everyone to stop the guard from forcing her to kill Nathan?
Flag
So glad that Audrey's back, although I am wondering how long it's going to take Nathan to cotton on. I feel a bit like I'm watching S3 of Fringe again waiting for Peter to work out that he's sleeping with the wrong Olivia, only the other way around. I know she's trying to put him off, but I hope he works it out on his own rather than having to wait for someone to tell him. He's in love with the woman and, no matter how good an actress Audrey is, she's got to slip up sometime. Like maybe she'll test his coffee without really thinking about it or something (I loved that scene).

She was a bit mean with the teasing though, and all that poking. Was she just making sure that he could still feel her or something? I know she didn't see him at his 'getting beaten up by men' low point, but still, she could have made Lexie rub his nose in it a little less.

I quite liked the trouble of the week, and I like the fact that Wade was so matter of fact in his acceptance of it. We hadn't really seen him face the Troubles before and he was just like 'oh, possession's possible', 'oh, you're not my brother'. It made him a bit more likable in my opinion.

Jordan still irritates me though, she needs to get more emotions other than angry and bitter. And while I sort of agreed with Duke not telling Wade about the whole 'we can kill people to save them' thing, which was a rare occasion of me supporting a lack of complete honesty in a TV show, I think we're going to see that classic trope of ignorance causing more problems than it solves next week.

The last couple of lines of this episode made it for me, though... that and Jennifer stabbing Duke in the leg.
More+
Flag
I don't recall her so deliberately murdering a Troubled person in the past
Actually she did do that. I think even more than once.

Off the top of my head:
The guy who controlled his own house which they blew up.
The guy who summoned spaceships which they made him enter one and he was gone
The guy who created a twin of himself and Audrey talked his twin into shooting himself
The guy who resurected dead people's ghosts and Audrey talked Duke into killing him

Possibly more.

Other than that? This is the first time ever I think I agree with 100% of what a reviewer said. Hands down this is the best episode of the season so far and it is the only one moving forward where up until now it was just about goign backwards.

Here are my 2 cents:

1) I have less of an issue with Dwight taking a back seat, I have more of an issue with his "wall of weird". What could he possibly have there that would confirm that Audrey has to kill Nathan? How did he found out something that nobody else did? Even the old geezers didn't know that. The only one who knew was Arla, who found out from James who I assume heard about it from Howard.

How do old clippings tell him anything?

2) Jordan's plan. Okay, so obviously she thinks that Audrey's trouble is what causes everyone else to have troubles and if Duke (or his brother) kill her, it all ends. But we know that plan is useless. Where's the suspense?

3) I actually did not see the ending coming. In fact, I was sure they'd drag the "seduction of Lexy by Nathan" a lot longer.

4) So Jennifer's trouble are gone? It would totally annoy the heck out of me if that would be the case. What sort of trouble is that? It's just stupid and as I said before - Dumb Deus-Ex-Machine to "fix" things.

Random hunch? Nathan killed Howard and Jennifer is meant to replace him.
That is why she is connected to the Barn.

5) It's nice that everyone are worried about Audrey, but now that it would be settled by next epiosde, would we finally get someone interested in the fates of Howard, James or Arla? Seriously there were 3 more people at the barn.

I get that Audrey is priority #1, but how on earth is it possible that not a single person asks about the rest of them. Heck, the old guy* told everyone that Arla told him the secret so why isn't anyone asking "wait, who? Where is she now? If Duke got out maybe she did too"

* I don't know why, but I can't seem to remember their names...

6) Are they ever going to hook up the open plots from previous seasons?
What about Nathan's adoptive dad? It was clear that he was reconstructing himself and that the geezers were going to help him.

Who is the person tracking Audrey down and wiping people's memories? The real Lucy told Sarah that if "he" catches up with her, he'll wipe her clean. The "real" Audrey lost her memories (where the real Lucy didn't) and it was implied that something happened to her. Does anyone care about the real Audrey? And who was it that was chasing her?
It can't be Howard so obviously we're missing someone.

Obviously the writers forgot about that but I'm hoping they'll tie it up.

More+
Flag
The kid who was bullied and she essentially made fun of him till he blew himself up. I think that was the first time.
Flag
If Jordan wants to cover all her bases, her plan should really be to get "Lexie" to kill Nathan, then to get Wade/Duke to kill "Lexie" then to get the Guard to kill Duke and Wade. That way she gets rid of all of her least favourite people. And if the Troubles don't end after that, then I guess the Guard will have to kill her for killing of anyone who could have done anything about it.

As for Dwight's big wall o' stuff. I wanted to see more. Vince and Dave must have compiled stuff back from before Sarah at some point. I'd really like to see how far back their research goes and if we can get a glimpse of some of Audrey's previous incarnations, but I didn't see any pictures that we didn't already recognise. If we don't get to see more of that cave I will be very disappointed.
Flag
Yeah, I was sort of hoping that wall was going to show something that pre-dates Sarah. I guess Dwight, Vince & Dave ran into a dead end with their research.
I really wish this show would reveal more about Lucy. She seemed to know a lot, and if it wasn't for The Guard forcing her into the Barn she might have been able to leave more clues for her future self...Audrey.
Flag
My issues with the wall of weird stuff is that it just makes no sense what so ever.

How come Dwight only has it? The old guys had nothing. The priest (forgot the name) knew absolutely nothing.

What could Dwight possibly have found out? All he had was news clippings. How do news clippings and some pictures tell you that Audrey needs to kill someone she loves?

If Dwight finds out, it needs to be from something else and much better than some stupid pictures.
Flag
JohnPeterson5, that is actually a very good explanation - But doesn't tie in what so ever to the wall of weird.

I'm simply having issues with the tired tv cliche that having a wall of images = research.
Flag
Let's not foget that Dwight was a confidente and odd jobs man for Chief Wuournos, Nathan's "father", who was well versed on the troubles although he kept a lot from Nathan. The Chief, in fact, conspired with "Agent" Howard to bring Audrey to Haven in the Premiere episode. We should assume Dwight knows more than it seems.
Flag
Maybe it's because Millikan kind of "cheated." They made Tyler so insanely powerful that there was no way to stop him other than killing him... but they did that by making him uber-powerful. I mean, all you had to do to become a possession target was touch anything, even for just a couple of seconds? Heck, why give him any limitation at all?

Also, as I recall, wasn't Audrey kind of adverse to using Duke as a weapon last year? This time she kind of made Duke an accessory to murder.
Flag
Audrey did that before, though, with the guy who used his children as organ donors and that was just as manipulative, if not more so. In this episode she didn't convince Duke to do it, Tyler was already determined to kill himself, she just didn't tell him all of the facts and let him follow through.

Also, the fact that Duke wasn't mentally responsible for the murder, I would say, makes it slightly better. Last time she convinced him to do it, meaning that he actually decided to kill someone and followed through on that. Duke's a fairly pragmatic person, definitely able to distinguish between 'what I did' and 'what Tyler did in my body'. There's no guilt there for him because the actions were not performed by him, although they were performed by his body.

She couldn't have been 100% sure that Duke's "curse" would help though, as it's still unclear how these things work. She assumed that it went with his body, not with his agency, but it could have turned out that because Tyler was controlling the body, that Duke's power was latent along with his... soul? Well, we knew it would work, because there was no way they were killing Duke, but she didn't.
More +
Flag
Actually she was 100% sure. Remember, it was stated that Audrey has some sort of "sixth sense" regarding how the troubles work. Even she commented (season 2 I think?) that she constantly takes wild guesses and she is right 100% of the time.

That is part of her "thing".
Flag
So someone else appreciates Stan's animal magnetism? Kewl.

I'm not sure if I'd count all those as murders, or even "kills" (the guy vanishing into the UFO).

Also, while Tyler was pretty ruthless, he only killed three people. The fireman fire-guy killed 5+. Apparently, as long as you say you're sorry, you get to live. Or maybe they just kill people who possess Duke.

"but now that it would be settled by next epiosde,"

Well, for us and for Duke. But she pretty much to keep pretending she's Lexie, or the Guard and Nathan will force her to kill Nathan.
Flag
The fireman didn't know what he was doing. It's not being sorry (which I absolutely hate when shows do it), it's about intent.

Even in a court of law, I'm pretty sure the fireman would be found not guilty. At best it's accidental homicide and even that is in question since he had no real expectation. Did he even know about his trouble? I got the impression that he didn't. That's not even the same as drunk driving.
Flag
And technically it was more nathan than audrey
Flag
The episode was finally, finally moving forward. The puppet master thing kind of didn't get to me as anything memorable in Haven but there were our favourite characters involved. I felt like "can you give Lexie some fresh clothes for most of the previous episodes and bam - I got my wish fulfilled :) Ahh, btw - "all shades of grey" - loved that :)) And I was not that much surprised when Audrey appeared to be Audrey, just pretending to be Lexie in order to save the day when we were in a tough spot. Overall, 8 or even 9 because finally Nathan wasn't whining and there was less pissed of Jordan and we got a new tricky Jordan plotting some new way to be able to touch without gloves.
Flag
I'm just happy to have Audrey back. I wasn't really interested in this episode until the very end. I almost missed the most important bit as I was mucking about doing other stuff while it was on. Had to come back and rewind the ending to make sure I had heard it properly. Yay!! Audrey!!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members