A Haven Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on Syfy (Returning October 8, 2015)
My dear, this is Haven. There's never been any trouble here. - Vince

So, it's another alternate Haven, after we had last year's "Sarah." Nathan is still Nathan, and this time Duke and his family are police officers. Jennifer and Dwight are conveniently absent in both realities. I'm not sure I'd want to live in a reality without Gloria, but it's temporary so I'll bear up. And Dave and Vince are... whatever the heck they are.

Oooh, look--birds!
Nathan Wournos - a lovable doufus in any reality

So it was fun and all, but the problem is we had to get here through the contrivance of a truly unbelievable Trouble: wishes. Yes, the Haven producers and writers have been watching Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Which means that they're probably a majority of the viewers that show has right now...

I'm not a genie - I'm just Troubled

Far be it from me to question the rationale of a show that has giant snow globes and dogs turning into human beings. But... wishes? Really? Wishes are the bane of Dungeon & Dragons dungeon masters, and TV writers everywhere (ask the OUaT in Wonderland writers). Toss in the Haven mythos as well, and you get several headaches. But here's one big one:

If Audrey and William created the Troubles, and they're immune to the Troubles, then how can Cliff the Genie wish that they never created the Troubles?

Essentially they the writers gave a Troubled person the power to rewrite the entire world. And if William is to be believed, he and Audrey had the power to give someone the power to rewrite the entire world. If William has that kind of power, why is he dinking around with a gun and breaking people's necks. If he no longer has that kind of power... why not?

With wishing, we've left the supernatural and the science fictional, and we've moved into the divine. And not just the divine, but the almost-omnipotent.

Speaking of William... was Colin Ferguson always this big a ham? The set decorators must hate him for all the scenery he's chewing through.

I'm so naughty...

He came across as kind of sympathetic in the first episodes. A disturbed stalker in "William." Now he's just being obnoxious and mean.

Lucas Bryant seemed to be having a ball, and Richard Donat and John Dunsworth got to raid the costume closet.

Fred from Scooby Doo called, Vince - he wants his ascot back.

There was also the odd decision to kill off the Teagues yet again. Vince died (offscreen) in last year's "Sarah," too. It's like the writers don't like Dave and Vince except when they have to espouse convenient expositional dialogue.

Ascots - not good protection against straight razors

Some of the other tropes were there as well.

Nathan gets a hot wife if Audrey doesn't enter his life? Check.

Were we supposed to know this woman? I don't remember a Marie. She didn't make much of an impression here.

Beefy Guest Troubled/plot contrivance gets introduced and then killed off? Check.

So while it's always fun to see "mirror mirror" universes where the actors get to play against type, this seemed kind of mediocre effort. There was some great byplay between Lucas Bryant and Eric Balfour during the murder investigation scene. Even if the actress playing Doreen the corpse couldn't hold her breath for five seconds. :(

The Joker drops by for a visit

Although that scene brought up some logic gaps, too. Let's assume for the moment that Duke told Audrey about the fiberglass on the fingernails off-camera. So... William killed Dave and Vince in their office. But he drags Doreen out to his fiberglass repair shop, and then drags her back into town. Just to send a message to two guys who don't know who he is, only confirming that Audrey is who she says she is. Does that make sense?

William also seems to be one of those villains who can appear anywhere and anytime. Is teleportation a power of his or is it just writer contrivance? It seemed like all of Haven is only two square blocks.

William killing Cliff seems kind of weird. So he kills Cliff, which breaks his power to maintain the wish-reality, sending Audrey and William back to the real reality, where... Cliff is still alive? But if he were alive, then he couldn't have died to break the wish-reality. There weren't two Cliffs--Cliff was just as immune to his Trouble as William and Audrey were.

Four minutes until the end of the episode? Sod this for a game of Soldiers - I'll just shoot the guy and hope for the best.

Also, if William was the one sending out the Grapes of Wrath last week, why didn't he threaten to use them to force Audrey to work for him? He could have said, "I'll drive everyone in town nuts unless you help." Would have saved him some of that legwork he complained that he hated.

Anyhoo, the logic gaps were a few too many for me to get into the episode entirely. I enjoyed the principals' performance: even Emily seemed to stand out - must be getting rid of the hair and nose ring. If we ignore the whole wish thing, it sounds... interesting that William and Audrey created the Troubles. As long as they don't later show they have the power to give someone the power to make wishes.

So overall, I'd give this a 7. Which is about average for me: I don't watch anything that averages less than that.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
Follow this Show