A Haven Community
Friday 10:00 PM on Syfy (Returning "See No Evil" premiering late summer 2014)
I don't trust the Troubles. They are deep and dark and they take the people you love away.

And so we come the penultimate episode. Did this prepare us to wrap everything up, and set the stage for the big blowout next week?

Well, kinda. This episode seemed a bit more settled down, but the season overall has felt kind of... jumpy. The writers jump onto a plot point, play around with it for a bit, then jump over to the next. This week, the book that we found out about just one episode ago is suddenly a critical plot point and there's a hunt for the heart of Haven.

So the Trouble of the Week this week was a baby that killed people with its crying. A Trouble most parents can sympathize with.

The Baby O'Doom!

It did seem odd that the Trouble was random and had no logic to it. It wouldn't have seemed as odd if someone didn't keep telling us it was odd, but oh well. It did help to raise the stakes for the big showdown. Audrey has to find a way to save hundreds of people before the baby kills them.

And William is orchestrating the whole thing. (Parents, don't let guys walk up to your baby and slap a handprint on them.) I'm still not impressed with Ferguson's performance, or more likely the directions he's being given to act out. There are times when he's sympathetic and/or interesting, like his childlike disappointment when Audrey doesn't remember herself after her first Trouble-inducing attempt. But then there's a random burst of chaos like him punching Nathan.

Sucker punch!

Like the writers, William seems to jump around a bit. For instance, they make a big deal at the beginning about protecting Jennifer from him, but then he never seems to have any interest in going after her. Even after Jennifer leaves police protection to go to the lighthouse. I'm also not sure I buy leaving him to run free instead of arresting him. He seems to be offering information about how Audrey can counter-Trouble in return for his freedom... but why don't they lock him up after he tells her what to do and how to do it?

Speaking of which, where's Dwight? Havenites are dropping like flies, and he's nowhere to be seen. Again, they made a big deal about him being the new Chief and Nathan being a lowly peon at the beginning of the season, but they seem to have forgotten that in this episode, and several previous ones to be fair. What was the point of demoting Nathan if they were just going to put him in charge again?

But Dwight's absence does let Jayne Eastwood to step up and kick some major ass, acting-wise. I've commented before about the faceless Victims of the Week (tm), but this time they effectively gave the danger more heft by both upping the stakes, and giving us a recurring character involved with the Troubled person. In "Crush" I wasn't worried that the town was going to be destroyed on a one-off Troubled, but having Ms. Eastwood act her heart out helped make the potentially hundreds dead seem like a big thing.

Get away from my grandson or I will drink your blood!*

Jennifer didn't make much of an impression this week. Dialogue about flavor-coffee commercials didn't help. I'd like to see them going back to doing a bit more with her than just Duke's love interest. That's probably not going to happen in the one last episode of the season, though. Here's hoping she makes it to season 5.

I liked Lucas Bryant's delivery on "I'm going to put you in the ground. And it will hurt." They've finally got Nathan off of self-sacrificing suicide watch, thank goodness.

It was... interesting to see them set up Duke's loss of his Trouble a few episodes back, so that here he could be the impetus for Audrey to help him get his power back. That setup paid off pretty well, but introducing Wade basically just so Duke could kill him, to lose his Trouble, so that Audrey can restore it, still seems a little contrived.

So "Bough" didn't answer any big mysteries, but it set up the showdown for the finale going by the previews: Duke with his Trouble back, Audrey turning to the Dark Side, whoever The Four are stepping onto the spiral and sending William back with or without Audrey's help. But we'll see how it goes next week.

But of course, that's just my opinion--I could be wrong. What do you think?

-----

* With apologies to Buckaroo Banzai.
Follow this Show
Members