A Haven Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
You're kind of throwing me off here. - Duke

Well, this one was kind of an improvement on last week. It still feels like the Syfy equivalent of speed-dating as they rush from one revelation to the next. But we had less of Nathan and Duke moping, and Duke seemed to be back on track as the sarcastic everyman.

Dwight was also back from Cleave's Mill. Despite being captured pretty easily...

Characters only do normal around-the-home stuff when it's a trap.

... he managed to notify Nathan of his location and wrap up the whole capture subplot in a matter of minutes. This is the kind of thing that they would have (and did) drag out to half an episode in the past. Remember Audrey sitting in UFO guy's basement in Season 3?

In any case, it turns out that capturing the two nameless guys (someone on the show give them a name!) doesn't resolve anything, because they're not talking and seem to be where they want to be. The Troubles Gang also find William, Audrey's buddy from the Bar(n). He's not very helpful either.

I get most of the dialogue, but am only a co-star. Why?

Oh, right...

The Troubles Gang engages in a round or two of pointless interrogation, which only serve to set up the main plot: anyone who comes contact with the prisoners start having paranoid delusions of their worse nightmares coming to life. Except Duke, who did touch the "Heavy" and wasn't infected. And the four dead townspeople, who seemed to die just to keep up the Per-Week Haven Body Count (tm). But hey! That gave us an excuse to bring Gloria in, so who can complain about that?

Interfere with my video game again and I'll have YOU for lunch.

After a few quips and the revelation that the victims have black spheres on their minds (literally), Gloria moves on. Meanwhile we get more soapy-cam shots of Dwight, Nathan, and Jennifer's worst nightmares. Dwight in particular is kind of scary as he channels his Edge persona and looks like he's about ready to pick up a folding chair and start swinging.

The fantasies also give our principals a little chance to play out. Eric Balfour is particularly creepy.

Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper...

And of course, Audrey has to have sex with someone since Nathan is busy contemplating suicide again this week.

A little something for the Haven/Eureka Slash-ficers

In any case, William and Audrey turn out to be immune to the Trouble of the Week (if that's what it is), and William knew about the box our bad guys were looking for. They escaped pretty easily, and Audrey finds out who is truly responsible for the delusions.

A demented vintner with some Grapes of Wrath? The black mushrooms from tonight's Grimm?

No, William. Apparently he and Audrey go way back to when Audrey was whatever she was that she started out before she became the Trouble-Solver for Haven. Which seems to be something other than human, if William's comment is accurate.

In any case, William made some vague pronouncements, zapped Audrey unconscious, and... left? The episode ended on a kind of anticlimatic note with the bad guys going away and Nathan telling Audrey everything will be all right when clearly it isn't.

So a lot happened this week, and a couple of things got wrapped up like Duke's angst over Wade's death. But the plot didn't really move forward much. The producers seem to be substituting some slowly developing mysteries where we eventually get answers that lead to more questions, with throwing a lot of quickly-solved mysteries that really don't solve anything and just lead to more mysteries. Not a lot of difference, I know, but I kind of prefer the slower pace. It means things like Wade's corruption/death/resolution doesn't get zipped by in three episodes.

So overall, I'd give this a 7. Things moved along, moping was kept to a minimum, there was some good dialogue and nice characterization. But the ending ended on a dud note, which is the problem with fast-paced stuff when you can't come up with a way to wrap it up as quickly as the writer's toss it out.

But that's just my opinion--I could be wrong. What do you think?
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I must confess, I, like Audrey just was assuming William was Howard's replacement. I was even ready to say, okay, maybe he was just, well, like September. Now, well, he's Silas? Sorry, TVD reference. I do want to call bs on his claim that he and Audrey aren't human because when Audrey did ask point blank questions to Howard, he did answer and she asked that exact question. What I am going to suggest is maybe William is not human, but the Barn was the way for Original Audrey (seriously, couldn't he have called her a name) to escape I am guessing an abusive husband, a controlling psychopath, etcetera. It makes me kind of think Sarah might be first though...she was running wasn't she? But seriously, I did not see him being actually the big bad for the season...way to let us get distracted by Wade.

Apparently...the Haven people will call the duo the Seekers.
Flag
Someone noted that when Audrey asked Howard if she was human, he said she was "all too human," implying perhaps that she was something else, and she had become human. Or started acting like one.
Flag
Ah...see I figured that meant she was far more empathetic than she should be.
Flag
No news for a season 5 so far ?
I am worried.

Won't they rush the end in 4 episodes and bring a lame explanation....(like Haven/Heaven >>>Gods playing....)
I hope not.

The episode was interesting, this season is quite good actually, that's probably why I wish for another season, maybe I shouldn't be too greedy and just hope for a fine ending.
Flag
Didn't they announce the renewal of season 3 really close to the season finale?
Flag
Ok that's a relief to read that, I just have to wait
Flag
This is the most frustrating 43 minutes of television I've watched in a long time. This show is rapidly declining in quality
Flag
"I get most of the dialogue, but am only a co-star. Why?"

I ruined the joke there a bit, because I was still fiddling with photo captioning. It should say:

I get most of the dialogue, but am only a co-star while my mostly-silent buddy is an up-front guest star. Why?
Flag
Oh Haven! Why are you so SyFy-y? Oh right, because that's the network that's steering your wheel!
Seriously though, who couldn't see the William reveal coming?
I'm not really complaining though, I still genuinely enjoy this show. Yes, it could be better but somehow the actors and the characters manage to make it a lot more enjoyable then it should be. I really hope that Haven sticks around. It's a good Friday night escape to looney town and I for one love it!
So, at first I thought that William was just some schmuck who was Lucy's ex but it turns out he is the ex of the original-setting of Emily Roses character. So that reveal did kind of surprise and intrigue me. One really good thing about this episode was that it wasn't the typical "Trouble of The Week" format and if you ask me, that is something that Haven should do a lot more often then just mid-season. I mean, it's time! We are in Season 4 and right now more serialised storytelling should be incorporated into the show. I think this season has done an ok job at that (better then previous seasons) and hopefully things will get more serialised from here on out.
Adam Copeland really took me by surprise with his acting skills this week. How good was he? He was straight up crazy-pants and I thoroughly enjoyed his unnerving performance. Especially the part on Dukes boat. He was so good!
The other actors were great as well but for me, Adam was the stand out.

Ok, what is the deal with the flower (does it really have some symbolic reference to William and original-Audrey's relationship or was that all just some trick to release the crazy-shrooms?) and those two nameless minions? Where did William get his minions and are they human? Is William? Is Audrey? According to Byron (Lol) Howard she is very human. Is very human just a play on words for more than human? What did William do when he zapped Audrey unconscious? It doesn't look like he erased her memories because she was thrilled to see Nathan but he definitely did something other then just zapping her unconscious. Right?
Duke and Nathan also got zapped this week! Lol at Dwight's taser-happy fingers! Like I said: DWIGHT WAS AWESOME THIS WEEK!
Lots of questions....but I like mysteries. As long as we get some good answers. I told you guys that the gunshot we heard last week was Audrey shooting at someone or something other then Nathan. I'm glad I was right because Nathan must live! He's too good looking this season to just get shot to save thousands of lives. Maybe if this was "Season 1 Nathan" but not this new and improved (manscaping - what can't it do?) insanely handsome Nathan! No way! Deal with "The Troubles" people of Haven and just be grateful that you get a visit from the hottest guy in town when your trouble goes haywire.
NO HORSESHOE CRABS THIS WEEK! What? Also, I need more Vince and Dave this season. They've kind of been sitting on the sidelines and I've had enough. I'm still giddy over that scene from last weeks episode when Vince and Dave were "drunk" from the pressure. Vince telling Dave that he looks like a turtle!? OMG, how fun was that whole scene? So, more V & D please! I want a at least one whole episode about those two this season! I <3 The Teagues.
I am also really glad that Audrey's acting (and sounding) more like Audrey with each episode. I really hated her Lexie voice! Lexie was fun but that voice was the worst. Yes even worse then Sarah's voice. So welcome back Audrey's voice and please don't ever leave again.
All in all, this was a solid episode. Colin Ferguson was back in full form, people were even crazier than usual, Dwight was awesome, Duke was funny, Nathan was hot, Audrey's voice came back, Jennifer was adorable as usual - it was a fine episode.
One of the strongest this season. 7.5/10
(Would've given it an 8 if we had more V & D)
More+
Flag
I always thought Agent Howards "human" comment was a bit strange. She asked pointedly "Am I even human?" And he responded "oh Audrey. That's your problem. You are very, very human". I don't know if he was implying that the problem is she's become human...in the sense that she now knows what it feels like to truly care for people, sacrifice and not want to leave people behind. Maybe whoever(or whatever) she was before, didn't have these feelings.
Flag
I assumed that Howard's statement referred specifically to Audrey having emotions. Her ability is affected by her emotions (that is why she needs to charged with love).

I think if anything, Kwiaf's analogy to christian mythology is false. The more likely analogy would be to Prometheus in Greek mythology.
He decided to help the people by giving them fire, so the gods punished him to be eaten by vultures in an endless cycle.

That would seem to fit more into the window of punishing someone for caring too much about humans.
Flag
Hmmm...who hates human beings, lies all of the time, has no problem killing to get what he wants, and carries around a box of dicey looking fruit?.....Could it be...could it be...Satan? This is coming from the mind of Steven King, you know. Howard/Willam is totally Satan. But who does that make Audrey ---- Hmm. How about Audrey is Eve? What do ya think about that folks.
Flag
I'm not too familiar with Stephen King's books. Is there another character in the King-verse he might resemble? There was an article on Colin Ferguson this past week, and in it he says that his character comes from the Stephen King mythology...but he didn't want to reveal which part of the mythology/books they were using. I know there have been a lot of comparisons drawn between Haven & The Dark Tower series but I never read those books.
Flag
P.S. I know the reviewer was joking about the black stuff in the box being a demented vintner's grapes, but I think he is more right than he knows (or maybe he does know and is having a little fun). In the bible Jesus often refers to God the Father in many of his parables as the Master who owns the vineyards, so a demented vintner is definitely a great allusion to Satan.
Flag
It could be. Good points definitely. I hope that it isn't because that kind of thing has been "done to death" on Supernatural. But and there's a but, IF Haven can do it better then Supernatural - then maybe it could work?
Flag
I'd tend to agree with you. Agent Howard always had that Supernatural-ish big bald bad-ass angel vibe...
Flag
There was definitely something about the way he said it.
Flag
I thought this was the best episode of the season so far. So glad to see William back (I have a total man-crush on Colin Ferguson). I was really kinda hoping he was gonna be a good guy and be on Team Trouble Solvers, but I am really intrigued as to where his story may go. I really did like the swerve at the end with William being the "bad guy".
Lots of good acting all around this week too. Particularly Eric Balfour and Adam Copeland.
I am pretty excited for where Haven is headed. And we definitely need more and more of Colin Ferguson. I've loved that guy since Eureka. He's awesome. lol
Flag
"A demented vintner with some Grapes of Wrath? The black mushrooms from tonight's Grimm?" <----Hilarious!!!!

So here's what I can gather so far: Vince and Dave have still not given us the whole story, or more appropriately, history of the Troubles. Like always, they are playing it too close to the vest. The crazy world that is Haven obviously goes back centuries, perhaps millennia. And to keep the crazy under control, a balance between the good and the bad must be maintained. And not only is William the big bad for this season, he is THE BAD. And Audrey is THE GOOD, the yin to his yang. And as Gislef has pointed out, they are not of this world, but have assumed human forms I guess. This would explain why she's not affected by the Troubles. But aliens doesn't seem right. They are more like low-level gods or angels of some sort. A long time ago William went all evil and decided to toy with the humans for his pleasure. But Audrey decided to care for the humans. But being that their power is equal to each other's, he can't stop her from helping the Troubled, who he created, but she is subject to him as well in that she must leave her life and return to the barn OR kill whatever man she's fallen in love with that time around. And that this all happens on the cycle of that comet has something to do with this as well. I have no idea where Agent Howard or Jennifer come in though.

More+
Flag
Not buying William as a villian. I've met more sinister puppies.
Flag
I was just thinking that same thing. He is Dark and she is Light. They used to love each other and were balanced but now are seperate. I thought at first William was also from the first Haven but can't be because he says they keep going back and they say other worlds and the ancient tribes have legends about it so it must be something bigger than ourselves. I thought the box was some sort of Pandoras box at first but the idea of it could be hte flower or the grapes is intriquing. Im excited to see this further esp with all the mythos of pure evil and the crabs and such....
Flag
I was joking in my review. Presumably they are the black spheres that William sends out.
Flag
lol. I referred to them as Grapes of Wrath too. But yeah, they look like stones or spheres.
Flag
I would not call 'William' an improvement over the earlier episodes, but it sure was rather intense. I'm so relieved that William turned out to be a bad guy in a sense that since reverend was killed there was no real bad on the show since, and William is more than capable to be the Big Bad.
Whatever his references about Audrey not being the real one and that the real her was all about Will's love and all, I just hope the show won't go the way of making That the Love Story to save or doom Haven. I'm more than content with Audrey/Nathan's one. And I really really hope the show isn't making Audrey some sort of alien. William yeah, but I hope Audrey's left out of this alien equaition
Flag
No bad guy since the priest? Well we had Arla. I suppose she was a bad gal.
Flag
I figure that any episode where Duke has more good lines than Gloria is an improvement. They seemed to bring her in to give the show the sense of humor it used to have. Tonight, Duke got a little bit of his humor manhood back.
Flag
I like Gloria. I assumed you did as well because she was always the star in your recaps. Any show character that gives a woman over 50 good lines gets my vote.
Flag
that's a good point, though I like Gloria :) I'm just sort of worried that after Duke confessed to Dwight he'd killed Wade, all was dismissed so easily. I know I know otherwise we'd have Duke in prison and that would be bad, but making this killing a 'good' one was also a bit too... um, for the lack of better word 'Duke, you've killed ye brother? Give me high-five!' or something
Flag
Well, if you counted up all the corpses they've left in their wake with pretty much no legal justice dispensed...
Flag
yeah, but there was never this pat on one's back feeling to those cover-ups or something. I'm probably seeing things or something, but for the last couple or more episodes Duke was almost knighted or sainted, which was fine with me, but to actually like Praising him for the killing... that's sort of over the top. They used to cover up dead bodies, to keep it shushed and all, but never yet a killer was actually high-fived, and this high-five vibe troubles me
Flag
I would consider last year's skin-skinner a big bad...
Flag
ok, Arla was definitely Bad, but for some reason I've never got the Big Bad wave off of her during the 3rd season. But maybe that's just me, or she simply could not get to the same level of bad as reverend was with his grand plans for trouble free Haven vs. Arla's'I just want James back at any price'
Flag

(wrestling fans will get it...)
Flag
Is there a gif of him out there breaking the chair when he was held captive? I knew the writers/director couldn't resist getting the wrestler to break a chair.
Flag
Ask and ye shall receive...

Flag
And the other guy is a former wrestler, too...
Flag
Love it. Really miss E&C!!
Flag
I completely agree on your statement on pace shifting. This is the difference between the lost\heroes season 1 which were masterpieces and their crappy sequels that were absolute garbage.

I also don't get your comment on Audrey not being human. I didn't get that from William and Howard told Audrey at the barn that her biggest problem is that she IS in fact human.

The only way I can somehow make sense of this episode not completely contradicting everything is this:

Audrey asked Howard if the reason she needs to kill the person she loves is because she is being punished and he said it seems so.
So... Maybe William is Audrey's stalker or something and he wants to punish her for not loving him? That's why he's trying to force her to kill other people she loves?!?

I'm totally confused here.

I personally hated this episode badly. I'm sorry but it really had every single thing I hate.

1) The old geezers and their make-no-sense research again

2) Completely tossing aside contradicting canon issues. Audrey was explained to have supernatural intuition regarding the troubles and everything. She guessed that William was a replacement for Howard but that seems to be clearly not the case so she was way way off.

I admit my guess was that in fact Jennifer was Howard's replacement and yes, it is quite possible that I'm just being a sore loser if William would be the one, but... Does it really seem like William is the one?

Espeically since the geezers seem to claim that the other 2 guys have done this before?

3) Let me see if I get it straight, William gets the 2 guys to kidnap Dwight and ask him about a box he already has? I am just totally confused.
What was the plan? He wants to get Audrey back but how did any of this help get Audrey back?

If all he wanted was 5 minutes with her he could have asked her.
If he wants her to stop playing saviour for Haven then removing the troubles seems like the best idea, not get her more and more into the game.

Or maybe he wants the game to be a much more difficult one so she'll quit?

I hate to repeat myself, but I am totally confused and don't get anything at all.

And just to see that I at least understood one thing right, those black pills thing was actually the people? That's how they got out of their cells? By turning into the pills and flying around?
More+
Flag
I totally agree you. I totally think that Audrey is very human (I actually think that she is Eve) and that William is Satan (the snake in the garden). The snake is kind of a creepy stalker type in the Bible. (Steven King wrote The Stand so I don't think I am stretching at all with this biblical interpretation.) Anyway, merging the book of Genesis with the plot of Haven -- The troubles began when Even was infected by the little bouncing black evil "grapes" (or apple) and then infected her real husband. Then some how Eve/Audrey was deceived and believed that in order to cure her husband that she needed to be exiled to the "barn", where Satan was living. The deception is maintained by letting her out when the "troubles get bad" and showing her that she makes them go away when she goes back into the barn. Thus deceived, she always stays with Satan willingly. But now that she has met Nathan, her real true love, she doesn't want to go back with William/Satan. He is now trying to instigate a new deception to get her to come with him willingly. He is going to try to convince her that she is something evil so that she will think that she belongs with him since he is the personification of evil. It's the classic sociopath meets girl, lies to girl, convinces girl that if she doesn't do something she shouldn't do then all hell will break loose. Moral of the story - Stay away from sociopaths bearing black fruit-like substances.
More +
Flag
I do think you are stretching more than just a bit. Yes, King often right about stuff that involves faith but not really religion.

The stand may have taken a quote or two from revelations, but it is by no means even remotely close to the caliber you are going for.
Compare it to Supernatural where almost every single verse out of it is being tossed.

If this would want to go the religious route, I don't think they'd hurry to put the only priest in town as the bad guy...
Flag
I gotta agree with you. I never got a religious vibe from Kings works either.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"Stay away from sociopaths bearing black fruit-like substances."

LMFAO ^ ^ ^ Yep, they're the worst!
Flag
I really hope they leave the bible out of this. Aliens too for that matter...
Flag
Yeah, I gotta agree. Something other then the two most used (Bible and Aliens) sci-fi plot devices would be my preference. How about something new and original. It has to feel authentic to the story and so far...I don't really get a biblical feel from William or Audrey. But Haven has used plenty of biblical references in the past, so who knows!? It's definitely intriguing and I like the fact that it's been stretched out as the main (underlying) storyline of the season.
Flag
Geezers? They're names are Vince and Dave.
Flag
I have been watching this show for 4 years and I come to the conclusion that my personal trouble is that I will never remember their names.
Flag
Well then that's ok. If it's a legitimate Trouble, I understand completely. ;-) I have several. One of them is worshiping the looney ground that Vince and Dave walk on.
Flag
"I also don't get your comment on Audrey not being human."

40:06 mark, William says, "They're inferior. All of 'em." Audrey says "Them. Not us." (my emphasis) He seems to be speaking about human beings: nothing else really makes sense in context. And he's saying that he and Audrey are the same--superior, thus not human.
Flag
I don't think it's an issue of human beings. More like the 99% vs the 1%, nobles vs common people, rich vs poor, genius vs mundane etc
Flag
And best of all, no metaphors!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members