Haven Forums

Syfy (ended 2015)

Reunion Preempted!!

Gislef

[1]Dec 14, 2012
    • level: 104
    Due to the Newtown school shooting, tonight's episode of Haven will be/has been preempted for a repeat of last year's Eureka Christmas special.

No word on when/if they'll air it, or if they'll air it before the season finale on 12/21.
    Edited on 12/14/2012 7:00pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Goobers_

[2]Dec 14, 2012
    • level: 2

I like how the notes section has this as being preempted by the shooting on Dec. 7th.

Time travel?!?

joetaxpayer

[3]Dec 15, 2012
    • level: 3
    Appreciate the note, just sat down to watch this episode. SyFy made the right decision just from the episode description, bad to air it.

jwill58

[4]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 1

Its just too much political correctness ! How does a science fiction show about a high school reunion and murders committed through otherworldly means have anything to do with the massacre of 6 to 8 year old kids and their Teachers at Kindergarten ? Aside from the school theme , the similarities end there. I doubt if anyone from that town will or would have been watching Haven anyway. People as a society only get involved after the fact, if there was all this concern , why wasn't anyone reaching out to help these mentally ill kids before something like this happens ? I know this isn't the place to debate things of this nature, I'm just sayin...... enough with super political correctness.

jwill58

Kevers68

[5]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 6

How were you able to watch the episode?

RodLightning

[6]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 2

For what it's worth, I too would very much have appreciated the option to watch this episode. Some will say that the pre-emption is done as a show of respect to the victims and their families. I understand that point of view, but the many television pre-emptions brought on by this sick act only serve to add a tiny bit more misery to the world. I speak for those of us who look forward to our shows as a form of escape, albiet brief, from the depressing real world. I am hopeful that SyFy will show good judgement and air this episode on time in the UK, and provide live streaming of the episode online. I want to see it BEFORE the season finale in the order which it was intended to be seen, not next month. I am in the USA, but will actively seek out a commercial free irc or bit torrent of any overseas broadcast when US broadcasters refuse to market their own shows.

jwill58

[7]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 1

I agree with you. I really don't understand why this cancellation took place. The number of shows on TV every single night are too many to count. What about NBC's line-up with all the "Special Crimes and Law and Order Sexual Deviants version....(I know those titles are wrong....not by much though) . This episode of Haven was probably the Least offensive show that would have aired that night. So , yes , I'm searching everywhere I can to watch what I want to watch. I feel bad for those parents, but I choose not to dive into a pool of sympathy and ruin my frame of mind for the next six months. I have problems of my own . I want my Haven episode.....

gothceltgirl

[8]Dec 19, 2012
    • level: 13

I agree as well. But you know if they aired it anyway, there would be so much negative fallout among a bunch of people who aren't even fans of the show, much less sci fi, and then the SyFy channel would end up having to apologize. They preemted the Sason 3 finale of Buffy as well for similar reasons. But they announced it first. I wish they'd done the same on SyFy. My cable channel guide still had the show in that time slot, and boy did I get a surprise when I tried to watch what I'd recorded. No explanation, just a different show. A show I happened to also enjoy, but still I was annoyed and confused and thought, WTF? I apologize if there was some sort of announcement and I missed it. I hate to sound like an ignoramous, but I only have that one night to watch SyFy, so if there was some sort of warning I wasn't aware.

I kind of figured the reason out for myself when it wasn't slated to air. But I guess we will just have to wait. And get used to any shows with similar subject matter being delayed if (when) there are any other tragedies like this.

Simonuela

[10]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 5

wisperin88 wrote:
    How many more freedoms and how much more oppression will this police state of a government disguised as a democracy continue to trounce upon the rights of citizens of this once great nation? ... American Civil Revolution 2013!

Seriously, why wasn't this commentary flagged? Looking for a new revolution? New murders in the name of freedom? That revolution you were ranting about took the land of the natives and was built on the graves of millions of slaves. A great nation indeed! But what to expect from someone with that name?

Syfy was completely right in not showing this episode on schedule. Respect for Syfy! I wouldn't have wanted to watch any more murders for entertainment that week. It wasn't only Newtown that was mourning the death of these children and their teachers. It was a sad day for humanity.

joetaxpayer

[11]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 3
    Simonuela - beautifully written. I tip my hat to you.

wisperin88

[12]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 4
    LMAO @ SIMONUELA. You obviously missed the point of my post. But if all goes well you will be among the first to be wash away with the filth and ignorance that now abounds this country. Just for kicks here's my post again because it is protected under the 1st amendment and i could careless if my account gets deleted as i can just make another. Down with censorship, down with ignorance-

We find ourselves some two hundred years from the that day of independence with a darkness approaching and must ask the question; "with what regard would those that gave their lives hold our contempt to sit and watch as the freedoms they fought for are slowly striped away?" And then we must ask what? What can be done? What can one with little to offer but strength and conviction accomplish? And then we must say to each and everyone, "The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission." In this path we need to remind ourselves that "in the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility - I welcome it. For conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." -John F Kennedy Flag me all you like, ill pay the cost for true freedom!