Haven

Fur

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Aug 13, 2010 on Syfy

7.1
  • Like stuffy bear wasn't enough...

I must say I mostly agree with entil2001. There were a lot of questions raised and a lot of new are coming but I feel a bit lost in the stories writers are telling us. They don't seem to follow their own logic and basically the viewer has no idea about what this whole show is. Is it about "The Troubles"? If yes, then who/what are they? Are they curses? Are they some land inhabitants? Or maybe some generation occurences? And what about Audrey's mother - was she "The Trouble" too? Who is/was Colorado Kid? The hints are scarce and instead we get some improbable tales about stuffed people (like the reanimated stuffed animals weren't enough). I think the whole show is starting to developing in the right direction but writers have to be more decided what it is about. So far we got six stories out of the blue that just does not seem to fit together.

The show started reminding me "The 4400" but the difference is that there is no mythology here. We observe occurences without real explanation and reason and everything that should join things together just hasn't shown up yet. Each TV series has its own main plot. "Haven" doesn't seem to have one (or this is the first show ever that hasn't developed one being in the halfway).

P.S. I wanted to write something about horrible special effects but I think I save my thoughts for the next episode.
  • Great episode

I dare say that this has been the best episode so far. Unlike previous episodes, you get to see where reasons and motives come from, you get to see the background story as well as the suspects, making the episode more interesting and fun to watch.

I was glad to see Chief Wournos back even when he doesn't trust his son at all, and I can say he thinks he's immature and incapable of following his steps. Maybe he thinks he's weak because of his condition? Also, this is the second episode we see Eleanor and her character is becoming an important part for the plot. I was sort of disgusted by the scenes where they shoot/kill the animals, doesn't matter we later know the real deal.

I detected tension between Nathan and Audrey, and this happens when they're either with Duke or in this case, the Jess woman. Seems to me that they're trying to protect each other.
  • Fur

Could Haven finally be getting, dare I say, good? The show may not be setting the world on fire in the 18-49 ratings department (although it is doing better than Caprica) but the past few episodes have actually shown signs of improvement. The storylines are actually interesting, over the top, yes, but they have that eerie Stephen King vibe about them that makes this show ripe for watching on a boring Friday night.

Another plus: no Eric Balfour here tonight.

Haven has been getting better, but it still needs to improve further than this to warrant a second season. But the groundwork has been done for a good series. Now give us some answers about Audrey's "mother."
  • Still not quite coming together

Just when I thought I had a handle on the connective threads of this show, this episode comes along and throws a bit of a complication into the theory. Previous "curses" seemed to be linked to a particular individual's unfulfilled need or desire. Had this situation been confined to the current generation, then it would have fit the pattern.

Instead, it turns out that this particular family has been carrying the ability to reanimate stuffed versions of their loved ones for generations. How that's supposed to work is left rather open-ended; even the characters remark that this is just plain impossible to explain or comprehend. Sometimes that is the mark of a plot point being established, but more often it is a sign that a writing staff just wanted to play with an idea and didn't know how to make it all fit in the end.

There are a couple of caveats to the criticism and disappointment. If the theoretical theme holds true for the "current" crisis in Haven, then one could assume that the same mechanism (vague as it currently is) would apply to previous periods like "The Troubles". And there's a definite sense that the "curses" recur periodically anyway. So the desire for a loved one to remain alive may have originally been fulfilled during one of those earlier periods, with the effect tracing down through the bloodline.

Also, the main plot wasn't related directly to the generations of stuffed family members. It was actually the reanimation of animals stuffed in a similar manner by a reanimated member of that family. So the theme holds true in terms of the current timing and the current manifestation of the "curse"; it's more the deeper context of the situation that seems not to fit as well.

I found Nathan's potential relationship with a local "witch" to be a far more interesting development. Jess appears to have an agenda, though it's unclear what that could be at this point. Part of it is clearly making Nathan feel more comfortable with his "curse". Could she know more about the true nature of the activity in Haven? Either way, having more recurring characters to give Haven a deeper context is a step in the right direction.
SYFY