Haven

Sketchy

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Aug 20, 2010 on Syfy

7.3
  • Its getting veryintresting.

Its getting creepier. And its an amazing episode. X-files renewed almost.
  • Finally an interesting episode

The first episode so far that was really interesting and thought through since the very beginning. The show seems to be finding its own agenda but somehow I still don't see the mythology part (see my review in previous episode).
  • It was good!

So what if they stole the erased mouth/ears from Fringe? Looks like Fringe stole it from the X-files, you know, with the alien rebels?

Anyway, this case and plot were good and I liked how Audrey and Nathan follow their leads and one as a viewer can actually see it and enjoy it instead of being left behind cameras, like previous episodes.

Audrey can sure be tough when she wants to, but I wish I could see more of that in Nathan, who sometimes I think gets a little lost. I wish there was an episode where he was the one proposing and taking the lead, with Audrey following him.

So, Duke helped, and unlike the previous review, I don't think they were focusing on Duke and Audrey and I believe they have no chance; a relationship would be doomed. I love his interaction with the duo, love and hate. I wish they had left Jess out of this episode and bring her back later. However, it was funny to see Nathan being mocked by Audrey.
  • Sketchy

I wish I had something positive to say about this show, but I just cannot do this as tonight's episode of Haven was boring from start to finish. They clearly stole the man's eyes and mouth shutting from Fringe (it would not be the first time) and even that was not that well done. There was no conflict here, they figured out how to "win" too quickly, and seemed more focused on teasing the romance between Eric Balfour and Emily Rose than anything remotely related to science fiction.

Eureka, Haven's counterpart, just got renewed, but I fear if this is the quality the show is going to keep giving us, this program will be done after one season.
  • Still in neutral, but getting steadily better

While "Haven" is still not quite living up to its promise, it does continue to crawl closer and closer to something that could present an identity of its own. Right now, it's struggling for consistency. This episode was a bit better than the previous installment, but it's still taking too long to build its case for renewal.

I like the fact that they've built up the Audrey/Duke dynamic into something nice and complicated. They are attracted to one another, but they are also in positions that are diametrically opposed. Their chosen professions keep getting in the way. This can be mined for drama for ages, while maintaining a strong balance between personal issues and management of "The Troubles", so I'm hoping they keep this tension going for a while. It shouldn't be easy.

This is all neatly facilitated by the emergence of Nathan's relationship with Jess, which prevents the potential of a mind-numbing love triangle between Audrey, Nathan, and Duke. I prefer these relationships that challenge Nathan and Audrey. Nathan, in particular, is being drawn out of his shell, and this episode makes it clear that Audrey isn't going to be the one to strip away his reserve. (And when that starts to happen, it might make him less wooden.)

The situation in this particular case was once again aligned with the unspoken or subconscious desire theme, but on a scale that rivaled the mess that took place in the pilot. I was left wondering whether or not this was related to the cracks forming in the roads and what not, though that connection was never made.

But perhaps more interesting is how the scale of this threat is perceived by the locals. While there is a great deal of fear and concern, there are some who are taking this in stride. And that may just be the most disturbing part of it. To some of these residents, this is a certain brand of "normal". If that's the case, how much worse can they expect it to get? Hopefully that will become clearer soon, to give the show a little more heft.