Haven

Spiral

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Oct 08, 2010 on Syfy

7.7
  • A great finale for the first season

Just before this episode aired, Syfy announced that "Haven" would be returning for a second season. That brings a great deal of relief, because if this was where the series had ended, I'd be quite annoyed. And considering that "Haven" has not been my favorite show in the world, that's saying something.

A lot of plot and character threads came together in this episode. The big news, of course, concerns "Audrey". Or should we just call her Lucy from now on? I suppose we're supposed to assume that something unusual happened that forced Lucy to not only move forward in time, but also assume the identity of another woman. That's going to be one heck of a story.

After all, it's clear that her apparent boss at the FBI had to know the truth. Otherwise, how in the world could she have been working for the FBI in any capacity? The interesting thing is that we can't assume that she was, in fact, an agent before the events of the series premiere. If her memories have been altered on a fundamental level, her "conversion" could have happened minutes before we first saw her!

Of course, there's also the very interesting revelation that Chief Wuornos is the source of the (very metaphorical) cracks appearing since the premiere. And he's not Nathan's father; the man who was charged and convicted for killing the Colorado Kid was. And somehow, Vince and Dave were involved in the whole Colorado Kid mess (I'm almost positive one of them was the real killer). Much of that was meat of the drama in the episode, and it has to be connected to Audrey/Lucy and her true nature.

Beyond that, we also got to see just how important the odd design of that tattoo really is. The fact that it's all over gravestones going back centuries is another hint that this is some kind of cyclic occurrence, triggering The Troubles. But what was the deal with the tattoo appearing and disappearing towards the end? It's going to be fun seeing how that all comes together.

But I was probably most pleased to see the reverend come out of the woodwork to challenge Nathan, making it very clear that the religious overtones to the rift growing in Haven will only be escalating. His presence could have been used a few other times this season, but this is one case where it's better late than never. Such concepts are part and parcel to any good Stephen King story.

All in all, this was a very good season finale, full of all the things that I like about "Haven". I'm genuinely glad that I kept with it for the whole first season, and I look forward to seeing them escalate the stakes and the weirdness in the second!