Haven

The Hand You're Dealt

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Sep 17, 2010 on Syfy

Haven dropped in the ratings without Eureka as a lead-in tonight, but that can also be attributed to a pretty bad episode overall. Haven's best episodes are not even average episodes for good dramas, and the show is just too unorganized to be on national TV. Are they going to have a romance? Are they going to explain who the mysterious woman is? Does Audrey not think all the crazy things going on in Haven are just that, crazy?

I do not know if Haven will get a second season. If it does, you cannot have dumb episodes like this, you just cannot.
  • Another great episode, delving into what we really wanted from this series, The Colorado Kid Case.

This episode looked closer at the Colorado kid case, trying to find out why everyone has no memory of that morning (except the guy who thought it would be fun to take off his pants). It was an interesting episode in itself, with an interesting twist, having involved two people part of the troubles.

Nathan tries to explore his weird revelation, in which Audrey is the only one he can feel, and goes as far as asking Duke for some input into the odd situation.

Duke's babysitter was an interesting twist, seeing how people are going to die, and telling Duke That he dies in the same way as the Colorado kid, by a man with a Tattoo that was found on a deceased body a few weeks back.

I am interested to see where this season ends, and hopefully where the series continues over the next few season :D
  • Going back and forth in the Colorado Kid case

The case was kind of X-filish, reminded me of the show's early seasons. It seems to me that Nathan wants to proove that he can feel Audrey and no one else or nothing else, because later, he was talking to Duke about fate. He knows Audrey is there and her presence can mean something good for him, but I think he's trying to understand that the fact the he can feel her doesn't mean that he can feel anything else, that's why I think he was poking his hand with the fork. As long as he doesn't try to touch her in every episode is fine by me. Besides, Audrey started it this time.

Witnesses not remembering anything from that day in 1983 could have something to do with the very Colorado Kid case. Like his murder erasing that moment of their lives so they wouldn't go around and tell everyone what happened?

Julia filling Eleanor's place was expected. It's not like there's a bunch of doctors in Haven trying to get a job where most of the customers-clients-victims are mostly troubled. She's good company for Audrey besides Nathan and she fits the Nathan/Audrey/Duke dynamic.

It was a good episode. Renew this show already please.
  • Things get interesting...but will it be enough?

It's taken most of the first season to get there, but the writers appear to have brought the story to something of a point. The very end of this episode should bring plenty of speculation, but it's good to see some of the obvious planning coming to fruition.

I was a bit worried for most of the episode, though. The episode felt a bit rushed, as if it ran ridiculously long and the editors had to slice and dice more than usual. This was especially the case in the beginning, where it felt like a lot of the connective tissue of the story was missing. It all eventually came together in the end, but it was rough getting there.

Part of the problem was a guest cast that under-delivered. Vanessa was very cute, but she also didn't come across as genuine; one could see the actress struggling in nearly every scene. To be fair, it wasn't the easiest role to play, but if those were the best takes for the editors to use, I shudder to think what was left on the cutting room floor. Sadly, Billy wasn't much better, especially towards the end.

In terms of the story, Vanessa's ability was a nice way to tie the stand-alone elements of the episode into the larger context of the Colorado Kid mystery. There now seems to be a reason behind the apparent miscalculation of removing Jesse and Eleanor from the story. Complicating the Nathan/Audrey relationship worked well in this episode, and it sets the stage for future tension between new allies Nathan and Duke. And Julia is revealed as something of a stealth addition to the main cast, with important gaps in her overall understanding of Haven and its history.

Unless I'm very much missing the point (a distinct possibility!), these four individuals are meant to uncover the layers of mystery at the heart of The Troubles and Haven itself. Not so long ago, I mentioned that the series needed something like a Bookhouse Boys organization (from "Twin Peaks" lore) to give it some flavor. This isn't exactly it, but they are on the hunt for members of a secret society with a tattoo that links back to something in the town's history.

Of course, I can't help but notice that there are four figures on the tattoo of the circular maze, and this is discussed by four people, sitting at four familiar positions around a circular table and dedicating themselves to solving a mystery (a metaphorical maze of sorts). It all seems fairly obvious, yet I must admit that even predictable plot progression can rise above with the proper execution. And it may be too early to assume that this is the final configuration, even if it makes sense, given the group's connections to the Colorado Kid mystery (which now seems like it may have been the previous attempt to address the meaning of the tattoo, as the story is taking on cyclic overtones).

I still maintain that the show is suffering from too insular a main cast. There are supporting characters, but the story is often so focused on the main cast so much that the character of Haven itself has yet to become memorable in its own right. It may seem like a personal sticking point rather than a fundamental weakness, but consider this: what is memorable about Haven as a place? I think of shows like "Eureka", "Warehouse 13", "Stargate Universe", and "Caprica", and all of those shows are set in a location with distinct character and style, fleshed out by representative supporting characters. I still don't think the town of Haven compares favorably.
  • See Summary

The Hand You're Dealt is a complex episode that takes us deeper into Haven. This series is different, and some times I feel like it is awful, but I can't stop watching it. This episode was a bit emotional at times, and it was interesting to see certain characters reactions to everything that was happening and everything that happened. It is hard to get a feel for where this series is going. I never read the books, so I only know anything by watching the series. I am sure the books are better, as they usually are, but that is a given. This episode was important, but was lacking in delivery.