Haven

The Trial Of Audrey Parker

Aired Friday 7:00 PM Sep 24, 2010 on Syfy

• The improvement continues

This has been a bit of a rough first season for "Haven". I don't think it's been all that consistent, and I've repeated my mantra about the lack of connection to the actual town for a while now. So I'm happy to say that the story, at least, is beginning to gain some momentum, and that has given me hope that interest in the show (including my own) will be generated as a result.

It was clear from the series premiere that Audrey had been directed to Haven by others, and this episode confirms it. I found it odd that her FBI boss would have confronted her about her reports and activities in such an unusual manner; needless to say, it's rather atypical. So something had to be going on behind the scenes, and it makes sense that Chief Wournos was part of the scheme. That it is related to the cyclic nature of "The Troubles" makes it all the more intriguing.

Which brings up an interesting point that Audrey herself alludes to: does Audrey have an ability of her own? The "troubled" rarely have abilities that end up being a positive factor in their lives, and we haven't really seen Audrey deal with any negative consequences of her apparent gift of insight into the situation in Haven. But we've also seen how the "troubled" sometimes take time to recognize how their gifts become a curse. And it's quite possible that Audrey will never become "troubled" herself. Time will tell.

The main plot for this episode provided Duke with a plethora of screen time, and that worked to its favor. Duke is to Haven what Han Solo is for the Star Wars franchise, the scoundrel with a heart of gold, and Eric Balfour continues to give the character a vital sense of vulnerability. The episode really leads the viewer to ask: what happened to Duke to turn him into the man he is today? I suspect the answer will be one of the highlights of the series.

If there was one thing I didn't like about the episode, it was the emphasis on the conflict between Nathan and his father. The approach made it seem like the conflict had been a long-standing element of the show to this point, but it really hasn't been building up that much at all. So it felt a bit unearned and out of place. Hopefully this will tie into the plot to keep Audrey in town in some fundamental way.