Haven

Welcome to Haven

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 09, 2010 on Syfy

7.7
  • Pilot

The Fringe clone known as Haven premiered tonight on Syfy and while you can never not watch a Stephen King show, this may be the exception to that rule. The whole series just seems too unsure of itself (if that makes sense.) Is it a procedural? Is it a science fiction show? Is it some hybrid, like the aforementioned Fringe?

I might continue to watch as there is a chance this could get really good really fast, but right now this was a bit of a letdown as I was really looking forward to this show. But right now, this is far from one of cable's elite dramas.
  • Yet another "X-Files" inspired show...

5.5
    I happen to like the Sci-Fi genre. Just this year I've seen "Sanctuary", "Warehouse 13", "Supernatural", "Fringe" etc. And I probably would have been fascinated by all of these shows...if I hadn't seen the "X-Files" first. See, the things is, "Haven" might be based on a novella by Stephen King, but watching the pilot I couldn't help thinking of an episode of the "X-Files" called "The Rain King". Somehow the entire case of a person, who possesses the freaky ability to control the weather, but then it turns out it's actually another person who does that - that sounded all too familiar. Not to mention the main character Audrey Parker reminds me of Fox Mulder in so many ways.
    On a sidenote, the lead actress looks too much like Kelly Clarkson to me,(or possibly Julia Stiles) and her accent is bugging me a bit. I can't make up my mind if I like the chief's son or not - he seems alright for now, though.
    So, all in all, the pilot of "Haven" didn't seem particularly interesting or enjoyable, but who knows, perhaps the following episodes will be better.
  • boring and depressing.

the look and feel of the show was very dark, dreary and depressing -- just because a show is about the supernatural does not mean that it has to be all dark and dreary - on the contrary, having some light helps set up those darker moments - this was like one dark scene after another and IMO became quite monotonous. the music was uninspired and not well matched with the action. the dialogue was uninteresting and mechanical. the acting was wishy-washy. the mystery of the detective's origins and connection with the town was not pulling me in for some reason and normally I totally get hooked by that kind of stuff. .

For me to continue with the show, there would need to be changes - starting with vastly better use of lighting, vastly better music, vastly better scripts, and a more engaging overall atmosphere. Oh and some wit and fun (which were both pretty much absent in this pilot despite some minor unsuccessful attempts). That's quite a laundry list so I'm not holding out hope for this one, but I may still go back and check it out later one more (possibly final) time.
  • A bad start to a promising show

When this series was first announced, it sounded like it would be a generous blend of "Twin Peaks" and "X-Files". Certainly the early promotion fit the mold. But now that the show has actually begun, does the pilot live up to the promise?

Other reviewers have already given the consensus answer: not quite. If anything, it is a decidedly mediocre start to a series that hasn't quite made a case for its own existence. From what I've seen so far in the pilot, the concept seems fairly limited. The idea of a town that stands as a refuge for those with supernatural power is all well and good; it's a direction that the last season of "Heroes" could and should have taken.

So far, my problem is with the main characters. Agent Audrey Parker (Emily Rose) does seem to be a very good agent. I never felt like she was competent enough to conduct an investigation into a missing sock, let alone the case at the center of this story. Her flippant attitude is supposed to be endearing and witty, but it just makes her look petulant.

Officer Wournos (Lucas Bryant) is mildly interesting, but he doesn't seem to have too much personality yet. The writers have Parker and Wournos act as though they make a modern Cooper/Truman or Mulder/Scully partnership, but that hasn't been earned yet. And while Duke Crocker (Eric Balfour) and Marion Caldwell (Nicole de Boer) were much better on the whole, they didn't really bring enough to the table.

But the real problem is that the town itself isn't strange and unusual enough. Twin Peaks as a place was full of the bizarre and mind-boggling, almost to the point of excess. It also had a thematic cohesiveness to it that "Haven" utterly lacks. There do seem to be a few ongoing mysteries and conspiracies to explore, in terms of the Colorado Kid and her true purpose in being led to Haven, but it doesn't connect on the same level as, say, Fox Mulder's ongoing search for his sister.

It's certainly possible that the show will grow over the course of the summer season; it wouldn't be the first capable series to have a terrible pilot and improve dramatically. But even in comparison to other recent Syfy fare, this is a disappointing start.
  • An interesting show so far

When I saw the ads on SyFy for this show I wasn't certain what it was going to be about. So now I know, primarily a supernatural phenomenon show involving the people in the town. The setting is quite nice, in fact I now want to visit the small towns on the far upper east coast even more, and plays well into setting up a background for the series. I enjoyed the episode story line and the initial character development as well. If they continue to build on the primary characters it could play out well. I think for me the thing I liked was setting it in this New England seacoast town which was different than the X-Files. It reminds me of a grown up Eerie, Indiana, which I really enjoyed back in its' single year run. This should prodce very grown up versions of these things, it captures that quirkiness and great setting that Eerie did.
  • Good start

So what if people think this is like the X-Files? It's not going to be the first show and certainly it's not going to be the last to be compared to a show that will never be surpassed by any other sci-fi show in my opinion.

To be honest, I can't see that many similarities to the X-files, except the supernatural phenomenon. Audrey and Nathan are just working together, one an FBI, the other a cop but so far Audrey is the one with the quest.

The music was really nice and it gave the show the mysterious feeling. It was nice to see Nicole De Boer, I wasn't a follower of The Dead Zone, but it was good to see a familiar face.

I wonder if Nathan's condition will be the result of something that happened in his past or if it has some kind of paranormal background. We'll have to wait and see.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Convincing cast, empathic and strange characters, love at first sight town, intriguing and emotional but not scary story, rushed editing, witty dialogs, questionable visual effects and soundtrack, anticipated boring episodic format

A fresh show based on a Stephen King novel and created by the master of horror is hard to resist. So even if its supernatural story didn't really intrigue me I decided to give it a chance. Moreover quickly checking out the cast I instantly thought the performers were convincing. And my intuition was right because they all succeeded in making their respective characters grow on us. Emily Rose portrays Audrey Parker, a fresh FBI agent opened to unusual cases with an orphan trauma. Her profile was obviously inspired by The X-Files protagonists, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, because she's both emotional and rational. Her enigmatic boss also reminded of their own. But despite the obvious and welcome inspiration she has her own identity. In fact she reminded me of Julia Stiles, the blonde next door but with acting skills.

Swimming around her we have Duke Crocker, played by Eric Balfour. The irresistible fisher playboy ? I don't know because there's just something strange about his face and think casting him for such a show was a bold move. In the pool there's also Lucas Bryant as Nathan Wournos, a local police officer she has to team up with to solve her first case in Haven. Their first scene should immediately puzzle you and even if we quickly got an explanation of what happened it didn't make it less exciting. Let's also not forget the other bizarre characters involved in their unusual journey. Indeed from the creepy but friendly duo to the local weirdos Haven is definitely a gallery of weird portraits. They should remind you of productions like Carnivale and Big Fish even if the writers gave their profiles a science fiction twist. Nevertheless they still remained accessible and natural enough to make you care for them. In fact I can say that I instantly fall in love with these odd inhabitants.

But these characters would have been nothing without a proper environment to evolve and it's exactly why Haven was designed and imagined. The lost little town with cliffs and shadow waters is an old recipe but it's definitely a good one when it comes to Haven. There're Sunnydale, Smallville and Eureka but now we can also count on Haven. From its wood houses with red roofs to its rotten boats I found the sets quite authentic. Of course I suspect the show is actually filmed on site but it was a smart decision because your immersion should be total. You don't watch it, you live it. The process was so smooth that I didn't want it to end. First the story was twisted and well written. Some scenes were even sensational, specially the one on the beach. However I found the editing sharp at times and wish they had done a better job on it because some intense and surreal moments deserved more attention. An other element I enjoyed were the dialogs. In fact I consider them as the show's strongest asset. There were full of wit and the ones between Parker and Bryant were just delightful. To sum things I was very impressed and I can't even remember the last time it actually happened ! Well done.

Despite its numerous qualities the show has also a few flaws. For example when it comes to King I expect horror or at least to be scared like never before. But there was nothing dark about Haven. In fact the contrary considering the number of times I laughed. Moreover the scenes that could have been frightening were too short or cut sharp by the hasty editor. Even the supernatural parts were questionable because of the just decent visual effects. Since Jurassic Park I've been fascinated by weather as a pivotal ingredient to make scenes more dramatic but here the digital effects ruined the whole experience. From the fog to the storm you can only be disappointed. The last one was specially disastrous and would have been ridiculous without the great supporting cast. If budget was an issue I think they should have filmed these apocalyptic scenes at night with flash lights, like in The X-Files. It wouldn't have been original but definitely brought darkness to the over shiny ambiance. I also have to mention the soundtrack because when you notice it well it's either good or bad. In this case I found some piano ballads deceptive. As usual I noticed a subliminal advertisment for some famous search engine. How annoying and useless !

Otherwise these few cons shouldn't prevent you from enjoying Haven for what it is, a good supernatural show. However I couldn't help reading the upcoming summaries and it seems the writers have chosen an episodic format and I just can't bare it ! So it seems the investigations of the week are back and as often I anticipate boredom, even if the writing team proved it has what it takes and the cliffhanger was surprising. So as a standalone episode I think Welcome to Haven was good but it didn't convince me to stay. With a pure heavy format it would have definitely been an other long term story, a more captivating one.
  • like an x files role reversal... sort of...

I am from Maine so when I heard of this show I thought I would check it out. Unfortunately, Maine license plates and Maine references are pretty much the only real ME authenticity. It is filmed in Canada, and just about all the actors are Canadian... Once I got past that, I was able to enjoy this pretty cool pilot. Based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid, this show looks to be full of unexplainable and supernatural things happening to townsfolk in Haven, Maine. This town has been free of its cursed "troubles" for 27 years. That is until just about the same time as FBI agent, Audrey Parker arrives looking for a perp. She joins local detective, Nathan, who strangely enough, can feel no pain or real sensation on his skin, and hasn't been able to since childhood... Together, they solve her case, which turns out to be on the supernatural side. She gets her first taste of Haven's "troubles" and realizes that her family may have had something to do with the history of the small town. She sticks around for a while to see if she can find some answers. I really enjoyed this. Nathan Wuornos is extremely handsome, and Duke is a funny fellow. Looking forward to the secrets Audrey uncovers and (my favorite part) the relationship to blossom between she and her new partner...
  • One word, "Intriguing!" :D

I liked the show. It keeps me in suspense for the first time I watched. Well, the case is amazing. The first episode where we have a woman who can control the weather with her emotions is creepy as we have a twist here and there. The people in Haven is quite weird as well as interesting. It's like they have special powers or something. Nathan does not have five senses but only four. He can't feel pain. And we have Conrad's extraordinary strength. I can't wait to watch the next episode in the time to come. Hopefully it will be as great as the first one.
  • Nice series :) liked the pilot

Well Syfy managed to create an interesting Syfy/Comedy, a nice show all an all put together. I have to admit i didn't expected to like it at first and i was a bit skeptic, but after the first 10 min, started to enjoy it and found it interesting. True, it's not comparable to Eureka, but for the debute it's prety ok. Although same plot, the law ( in this case an FBI agent ) tracks down bad guys or ppl who are "special" :)... anyway the classical Scifi show. Will have a better POV after i'll see future episodes.
    For the writers, keep it up and you might get another big hit show