Hawaii Five-0

E Malama

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 07, 2011 on CBS

• It's a rough day for Five-0. The team is called in when a witness for the prosecution in a high-profile murder case goes on the run after an attempted assasination. To make matters worse, Danny's ex-wife and young daughter are carjacked.

This episode was certainly entertaining. However at one point I began wondering if I was watching First Blood. The scenes of McGarrett with the black makeup on his face setting his elaborate booby trap were a little bit silly. I will admit that seeing the assasin step into the trap was kind of neat. Also, McGarrett's dialogue was a little bit cheesy. The storyline focusing on Danny's investigation was a little better because it avoided too many cliches. The scenes of the vast Hawaiian wilderness add to this episode's entertainment value. It's not a perfect episode, but it's worth seeing.

• It's a long day for the H50 team.

The team splits up for a very good reason- the team needs to find, protect and deliver a key witness or else a killer goes free. Danny takes off after something happens to Rachel and Grace, and he gets involved after hearing about Step-Stan's troubles.

The usual action and ass-kicking took place, but the true star of the episode (as usual) was Scott Caan's Danno. Frightened father, dutiful detective and all-around amazing actor (couldn't help the alliteration, sorry)- Scott Caan proves that he can do it all.

The main storyline was good, just not really original. Still, the episode was well-written and acted. And it was nice to finally meet Stan. I like the character development with Danny, though I'd like to see a bit more development for Chin and Kono in the future.

I have been waiting all season for the Kono character to have some substance; some serious contribution to the over the top testosterone this series can have, and we finally got it last night. And not only that, it all came about after a fine piece of quite cerebral detective work. About time, I say, and well played "Kono"!

Also nice to see Chin have something to do other than be supportive and back at the office computers. Two things he does well mind you, but nice to see him part of the action as well.

Mariana Klaveno was a nice surprise as the not-so damsel-in-distress; Julie Adelman, federal witness. A far cry from the scheming vampire, Lorena on True Blood, but I guess that's a good range to have, career-wise.

And Steve's little turn with his hand-made jungle swing was a hoot: did you see that guy fly? Awesome! Though is anyone else wondering how Steve got his face so clean on that truck ride from the jungle to the courthouse? Can you say, "continuity error"?

But the next-to-Kono's take-down prize goes to Dano and his little intervention in the diner with the developer: brings a whole new meaning to 'Hell's Kitchen' and a small tear of joy to the eye, doesn't it? ;o} Though again, does anyone else notice how lame Dano makes 'Stan the (?) Man' look? Rachel must know she got second-best there...
TNT