Hawaii Five-0 Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on CBSIn Season

No GOOD!

snake63

[21]Oct 10, 2010
    • level: 21

I am a big fan of the original series and thought the new version was going to be a bad remake given the remakes of The Bionic Woman and Knight Rider. But although it is not as good of the original I do like this series.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lynna12000

[22]Oct 11, 2010
    vicbjones wrote:

I have three complaints about the new Hawaii Five-O. So far, none of the episodes have had any revelations or plot twists in the closing 10 minutes that the audience did not know 30 minutes into the show. In other words, I'd like a little more mystery. Also, McGarrett is supposed to be in charge of the unit; Danny could show a little deference to his rank instead of acting as McGarrett's "partner." My third complaint would be the CSI-styleestablishing shots that don't contribute to the story in between scenes, as opposed to the jump cuts in the original series and other shows from the late '60 (e.g. Mission: Impossible). How much time do those shots kill? I'm still enjoying this series a lot more than NCIS: Los Angeles S1.

I definitely hope the unmarked plane and the Czechans' Asian buyers were a foreshadowing of a new Wo-Fat.

The writers are still laying the groundwork for both the characters. Once the new canon is established, then the future story arcs will be full layed out. The lack of surprises in the last 10 minutes isn't a bad thing. This show is more 'action' than 'mystery'. Revelations are not a requirement. At this point Wo-Fat is not needed. There is still at least one rat hidden in the Honolulu police department. Not to mention the body of the terrorist that was never retrieved from the ocean.

The independent task force set up by the Governor was not a traditional police operation from the outset. McGarrett himself treats Danny, and to an extent, Chin as equals. They both have more direct experience with police work than McGarrett; his experience is military related. So far, no one on the team has failed to follow orders; either when going into combat, or perfoming investigative duties.

Personally, I like those 'style establishing shots' between scenes. They are certainly more interesting (IMHO) than similiar scenes on CSI:M. The island itself, and its' activities is becoming a character on the show. Besides, those shots more than likely give the show a nice tax break by providing potential tourists glimpses of the fun that could be had.

hal9000_basic

[23]Oct 26, 2010
    • level: 8

I like action oriented and mystery Shows. I don't know why but I'm having trouble getting into this Show. Its not that I don't like it but I can take it or leave it. Maybe its the Characters. Whatever the reason I'm puzzled. Smile

Kartana

[24]Oct 30, 2010
    • level: 9
    Ok, I watched the pilot today and have a short question. Is this like Castle where you have a new case every episode with just very little 'main story'?

IanHaze

[25]Nov 4, 2010
    • level: 6

Love this sh*te

Funny, developed, and decent acting! And of course James Caan is a hero

IanHaze

[26]Nov 4, 2010

Kartana wrote:
    Ok, I watched the pilot today and have a short question. Is this like Castle where you have a new case every episode with just very little 'main story'?

Kinda.

lynna12000

[27]Nov 7, 2010
    IanHaze wrote:

Love this sh*te

Yes, James is a hero. He's responsible for Scott Caans' appearance in the world. Scott is the best possible choice to play Danny Williams.

IanHaze

[28]Nov 8, 2010

lynna12000 wrote:
    IanHaze wrote:

Love this sh*te

Yes, James is a hero. He's responsible for Scott Caans' appearance in the world. Scott is the best possible choice to play Danny Williams.

Lol I say James? I actually meant Scott, though James was awesome in Las Vegas

parkerren

[29]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 4

Some people won't watch the show since they were not fans of the original, and other will watch the show because they are fans of the original. But you have enough fans of the original along with new viewers to make the show start off strong. If the essential elements of the original show are not maintained you lose fans of the original. With the ratings going down, the network will let a show go without allowing it to establish its own audience.

The new show is missing some essential elements.

5-0 was the state police. When the state police was formed (remember there never was a real Hawaiian State police) the people of Hawaii gave it the nickname of 5-0. Just as Federal Express and Kentucky Fried Chicken was nicknamed and then officially re-branded FedEx and KFC respectively. Having it be a task force seems to be an attempt to explain why it seemed to involve such a small number of people. So when McGarrett said he was from 5-0 most people knew what it was. Here McGarrett gives it the 5-0 name (why he called it that ended up feeling lame) and it would seems less likely anyone would know what he is talking about when says "I am with Five-O"

Steve McGarrett had a strong respect for the law. He did not violate procedure. He did it by the book in order to preserve the rights of the people while getting the criminal. When he made the arrest it would stick.

The show would focus on the criminal many times, we would see many scenes with out the 5-O team.

The should could improve by not getting bogged down by the back story of the Father and the mystery of his mother's murder. People watching the show should feel comfortable not watching the show every week. I just started watching castle, and enjoy that it does not seem to have some continuing story arc requiring me to watch every episode to stay caught up. If you watched the episodes out of order you wouldn't notice a difference. If your members of audience miss a week they should not feel like they have to get caught up to watch again.

"Book em Danno!" is an element of the original show but is not essential . By having it be a point of annoyance in the new show, its simply a way to avoid using this cliche.

Will it have enough of an audience to be renewed? Tv by the numbers seems to question it. But being a people's choice award winner could gives it a better chance to be renewed.

CRaivios

[30]Jan 21, 2011

parkerren wrote:

Some people won't watch the show since they were not fans of the original, and other will watch the show because they are fans of the original. But you have enough fans of the original along with new viewers to make the show start off strong. If the essential elements of the original show are not maintained you lose fans of the original. With the ratings going down, the network will let a show go without allowing it to establish its own audience.

The new show is missing some essential elements.

5-0 was the state police. When the state police was formed (remember there never was a real Hawaiian State police) the people of Hawaii gave it the nickname of 5-0. Just as Federal Express and Kentucky Fried Chicken was nicknamed and then officially re-branded FedEx and KFC respectively. Having it be a task force seems to be an attempt to explain why it seemed to involve such a small number of people. So when McGarrett said he was from 5-0 most people knew what it was. Here McGarrett gives it the 5-0 name (why he called it that ended up feeling lame) and it would seems less likely anyone would know what he is talking about when says "I am with Five-O"

Steve McGarrett had a strong respect for the law. He did not violate procedure. He did it by the book in order to preserve the rights of the people while getting the criminal. When he made the arrest it would stick.

The show would focus on the criminal many times, we would see many scenes with out the 5-O team.

The should could improve by not getting bogged down by the back story of the Father and the mystery of his mother's murder. People watching the show should feel comfortable not watching the show every week. I just started watching castle, and enjoy that it does not seem to have some continuing story arc requiring me to watch every episode to stay caught up. If you watched the episodes out of order you wouldn't notice a difference. If your members of audience miss a week they should not feel like they have to get caught up to watch again.

"Book em Danno!" is an element of the original show but is not essential . By having it be a point of annoyance in the new show, its simply a way to avoid using this cliche.

Will it have enough of an audience to be renewed? Tv by the numbers seems to question it. But being a people's choice award winner could gives it a better chance to be renewed.

I absolutely agree with one thing: focusing the whole show on Steve finding the reason behind both of his parents murders will get old very soon. It is OK for it to come up once in a while, but is cannot be in the spotlight all the time. Even on JAG, Harm found out what happened to his dad and the show went on.

Given that this is the first season, I think things went well. Considering the other stuff (the word that rhymes with trap) that premiered in 2010, I see a renewal in the future.

Edited on 01/21/2011 5:47pm

Glornt

[31]Oct 23, 2011
    • level: 13
    I can't decide whether the Hawaiian episode titles are pretentious, or just stupid.

lynna12000

[32]Oct 25, 2011
    Glornt wrote:
    I can't decide whether the Hawaiian episode titles are pretentious, or just stupid.

Considering the tax breaks the show is probably getting from the state of Hawaii, it certainly couldn't be considered stupid.

Just think of it as an entertaining language lesson.

Rachwhut

[33]Nov 2, 2011

People expect an exact replica of the original series. It's not going to happen because it already happened.

I love the new h50.

Dec1964

[34]Nov 20, 2012
    • level: 37

I watched the Original Show with Jack Lord, i was still in school
    at the time. But i Love the new Five-0, 3 seasons already.

Edited on 11/20/2012 2:18am