Hawaii Five-0

Ha'alele

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Apr 09, 2012 on CBS

• When a young woman is found brutally murdered, Max thinks the crime may indicate a serial killer with ties to his past.

In the first season of "Hawaii Five-0" I mentioned frequently (Too many times than I wish were necessary.) that the episodes were bogged down with cliches and old plot devices. Unfortunately I have to mention that once again with "Ha'alale". There were a lot of tired old plot devices at work here. The serial killer on the loose. The old device of everybody but one person who thinks the killer is already in prison because somebody was convicted a decade or two ago. In the end the one person, in this case Max, was right. The climax of the movie where the killer was revealed was recycled right out of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Masi Oka's terrific performance is what keeps this episode afloat. As the second season went on, I started to feel confident that the formulaic and cliched episodes were in the past. "Ha'alele" has reminded me not to get too confident.
  • Brilliant episode even with Steve MIA

Yes I was devastated that Steve wouldn't be in this episode but I loved how the writers wrote him out. The 'dear Danno' letter was perfect for Steve and the clip at the end got me my McGarrett fix Masi Oka was superb in this episode. Like the previous post said, he wasn't comic relief but instead we got to see his more serious side and I loved learning about his past. It was great seeing the camaderie (sp?) between Danno and Chin and I actually think that Alex O'Loughlin being off set has in some way benefitted the show, in that we get to see the relationships between the other characters develop. Not that you didn't before but it wasn't often we saw Danny and Chin partner up. This was the silver lining out of the whole situation.

Only downside of this episode is that now we have to wait three weeks for the next one!

TNT