Hawaii Five-0

Ho'apono

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 01, 2010 on CBS

• The ratings are slipping! The ratings are slipping!

Five-0 looks like it was behind just about everything on TV last night. Not that I agree that this is an accurate assessment, but I do believe that the overall feel of the series is slipping.

I can't quite put my finger on it, and personally speaking, it really is a lot of little things that are adding up as little things tend to do.

I think the overall writing has slipped. The past couple of episodes, including Ho'apono, are inconsistent in cadence. The interest level, or fixation on the story line of the evening and/or the characters, waxes and wanes. And once you've lost the connection, it's harder to get it back and reconnect with the story and the character's part in that story.

Partly this is a believability issue. If the tact of the "updated" series is to be more real; more modern, then the writers have to remember the level of sophistication of the largest part of the show's viewing audience. These are people who are used to influencing the direction their "game" goes via their own inputs. If a gamer doesn't like what he's done, he gets the chance to go back and do it all over again.

The writers don't. The performers don't. And the series won't.
  • McGarrett and his team learn of a hostage situation on board the Battleship Missouri. McGarrett soon learns the hostatge taker is a fellow SEAL who is the prime suspect in the murder of his wife.

The biggest disappointment of the season so far. Once again cliche and formulaic plots are the major problem here. I knew from the minute the SEAL said he did not murder his wife I knew he was innocent. I think the writers of this episode saw the movie The Negotiator before they started to put this episode together. Adam Beach was not convincing in his role. The scenes of him whining and screaming while professing his innocence were just not convincing to me. I hope this episode is not a sign of things to come as the season goes on.

• Series stalling material.

5.5
    This show, plainly, is formulaic. Yet, I love Hawaii, so I watch. I don't expect intricate plot-lines; this show is designed for fluff.

Episodes like this one are cheap to produce, too bad they often also come off as cheap. The actor from Windtalkers is excellent, but one can only work with the material they're given.

My biggest grievances with this episode come in the casual stroll with Danno, Chin, and the navy psychiatrist whilst a major standoff is underway. The pacing is clearly off. Then Steve stops to have a conversation instead of proceeding directly to the pilothouse. Really people? Really?