Hawaii Five-0

Ho'apono

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Nov 01, 2010 on CBS

• The ratings are slipping! The ratings are slipping!

Five-0 looks like it was behind just about everything on TV last night. Not that I agree that this is an accurate assessment, but I do believe that the overall feel of the series is slipping.

I can't quite put my finger on it, and personally speaking, it really is a lot of little things that are adding up as little things tend to do.

I think the overall writing has slipped. The past couple of episodes, including Ho'apono, are inconsistent in cadence. The interest level, or fixation on the story line of the evening and/or the characters, waxes and wanes. And once you've lost the connection, it's harder to get it back and reconnect with the story and the character's part in that story.

Partly this is a believability issue. If the tact of the "updated" series is to be more real; more modern, then the writers have to remember the level of sophistication of the largest part of the show's viewing audience. These are people who are used to influencing the direction their "game" goes via their own inputs. If a gamer doesn't like what he's done, he gets the chance to go back and do it all over again.

The writers don't. The performers don't. And the series won't.
CBS