Hawaii Five-0

Lanakila

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 11, 2010 on CBS

• Writing and realism needs some sprucing up.

The cast is great and the show has much potential but this episode is just way to unrealistic. A prison break would have a huge manhunt going for this guy but it turns into 2 guys borrowing a sight seeing helicoptor to chase him down. The breakout itself was so poorly written that I am still having trouble believing they used it. We are supposed to believe that a prisoner breaks out by sending a guard out in a prisoner uniform with his mouth glued shut, really! It seems to me they are making the show try and move way to fast by cramming way to much into an episode. Just slow down and make it more real. Would have been better if they don't even show the prison break, just start it with him on the run. This episode was hard to watch for me. They write in a sister for McGarrett out of no where. I still don't understand this at all. She really had nothing at all to do with the episode. I love the characters and will continue to watch in hopes that it gets better. It has potential but they have not reached it yet.
  • Come one try to keep it a little believable at least. 10min to track a car and 10sec after you called a us navy ship it finds the car and sends you live fee then helicopter crash drops its roters and all walk out to drink water and get sick.

Come one try to keep it a little believable at least.

And at least sometime try to show that they do something except be "cool" and for some rezone no one know find whatever they are looking for and no security any ware they just walk in get what they want walk out.

Hope this show soon get a grip or it will be dead.
  • For the sake of the show, It was a good one. For the sake of realism, Four thumbs down. :(

Now there is one thing that people have a hard time with when it comes to TV shows in their particular hometown or involving their job. Being that I am a born and raised resident of O'ahu, I know my locales, and being a six year veteran of the US Navy, I have the tendencies to be picky about what McGarrett does in the show when it involves the Navy. Before I get into that though, let me tell you what I thought of the show for the sake of it being a show. This episode was much better than last weeks episode. I give them that. This series (so far) has been quite the roller coaster and I approve. Don't let the typical local resident dictate what you think of this show. Honestly, there are locals here who just argue and complain about what is right here in Hawai'i when it comes to a show just for the sake of arguing. I (a local and not a haole) see this show for what it is: an action packed show with a little of everything and the spirit of the original series (which I used to watch all the time). Anyway, for the sake of television, this is a good show and I love all the little details they put to make it local like pidgeon (hawaiian creole), and all the cameos from local stars (like local comedian Augie T.). At least there is an effort on that front unlike other shows that were filmed here. The stuff that does bother me is the twist in locales. One big example is the part when the convict was about to make it to the airport and then had to detour. That guy literary jumped from the Nimitz Highway on-ramp to a ground level street (looks like Lagoon Drive along the airport) in a second! I know every local watching caught this and had the same reaction I did. However, I am a man of practicality so I would understand why they did this. The actual Nimitz on-ramp in that scene is a single lane that merges into the airport. To close that lane off to film that scene would have been impossible since mostly everyone eastbound uses that ramp to access the airport. Like I said, as annoying as it could be to see this (and this will not be the last), I understand why they would do that and it doesn't take away how good this show is. Before I go to the navy screw ups, I would like add (in particular towards us locals living in Hawai'i) that I hope you understand why they changed things like the look of HPD, the governor's office, the court office (5-0 headquarters), etc... You can't use the real stuff...plain and simple...it just won't happen..
    The next thing that twists me about this show is the portrayal of the Navy. For starters, we have a tendency to point out the littlest things like what carrier they use...The USS Enterprise...that definitely wasn't the Big E. It was a Nimitz class carrier. Secondly, the use of a cell phone as if that shipmate had it on in the middle of Gulf the whole time. This will not stand because one, there is no cell reception and even the freedom to use a cell in that AOR. Thats bull and laughable.

All in all, I am still getting used to not being critical when it comes to homeland and the military but coming from me, as a show, Hawaii Five-0 is an excellent show and I wish for its long life in primetime.
  • Superb chase scenes really made this episode!

I really enjoyed this one, although it was a little slow in the beginning half of things. The best aspect of the episode was all of the chasing scenes, particularly with the helicopters, and then the helicopter crash and the chase through the jungle.

The suspence was all there, and that really made this a brilliant episode. Another thing I am thrilled about is that they did not abuse police powers in this episode, and I think that this in itself deserved a 10/10, considering the abuse of powers in the last couple of episodes.

All up, a really enjoyable episode! Keep it coming, and this show really has potential!
  • Which one of these things wins? Inaccuracies or imagination?

I guess most shows require some level of suspension of disbelief. This episode started, for me, with the shooting of the guard at the beginning. Would the cops and guards who were aiming at the culprit coming out the door not have had rifle scopes? And could they not identify that, if not one of their own, that this guys was NOT the well known criminal they assumed would walk out the door?

However, it was a fun romp, which despite its claims, at least as far as I could tell, did not get anywhere near Molokai! But McGarrett of new was McGarrett of old in that there is nothing this man can not do: from confiscating a spy satellite to flying a helicopter. Not bad for a Navy Intel man!

The introduction of McGarrett's sister was interesting. In the original, McGarrett's sister was a very proper family woman, who had lost a child to a quack doctor. I can't decide if this iteration of the sister is supposed to be some strung-out, 'poor-me' loser with a history of petty crime but a heart and soul of gold that we are to about to see saved, or if she's just been alienated from her family and finally felt the need to come home; especially now that big brother seems to be settling in one place...more or less.

Lots of possibilities, including, I hope, some substance for Kono! Please! You are wasting this actress!
  • If they continue with this kind of dialogue, I'll watch indefinitely.

The beginning was pretty brutal for my taste, but consistent with the craziness of our evil guy of the week. Very convincingly acted. The plot "why-did-he-do-it" was pretty obvious, I think the team should have figured it out a bit earlier. Or maybe I watch too much TV. So, the crime story was of medium quality, nicely finished off, but the lines! I could start quoting right now and it would take me half an hour to finish. plus extra time for being unable to speak because of a laughing fit. And I have seen it only once. So, the first episodes were nice, this one will have made me watch every single one to come. (I'm not a native speaker, but I hope you get what I'm saying... or else: get a new partner!)
  • A prisoner breaks out of jail, targeting a young couple.

This wasn't my favorite episode so far. I can overlook some of the stretches in realism, but the writing just didn't seem to be as good as before. I think having Caan's Danny limited due to knee injury (written in as Caan suffered a knee injury during filming) affected the episode. Though it was nice to meet McGarrett's sister (played by Taryn Manning) and to catch a glimpse into their family's lives and history. I look forward to seeing what else Hawaii Five-0 has in store for us this season, and in the future (hopefully it lasts as long as the original).