Hawaii Five-0

Pukana

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Dec 20, 2013 on CBS

7.8
  • Christmas episode

Seasonal episode that ties in Christmas with the anniversary of the Tsunami.
  • Not bad, not great

Not too bad of an episode, though I felt that such a professional killer being killed so easily was a bit of a crock. When Chin was knocked out and dragged to the basement I really doubt such a careful serial killer would take the time to do what he did and let himself be killed. Obviously we're not going to lose Chin, so we all knew that was the end of the killer.

Also, while the part about the Japanese tsunami victim getting his belonging back was quite moving (especially since I was there when it happened), I'm always a little dubious when this kind of thing or a Japanese actor (or Japan) is put in a TV serial because I know that in many cases it is to increase viewership overseas. In this particular case, though. Shows from the US that feature Japanese actors often come to Japan almost immediately after aired in the US, but if not take one to three years for a season to air. Flash Forward came here soon after season one because it had a Japanese actress and featured scenes in Japan, and people are talking about Helix already because it has Sonada (an excellent actor, BTW). I'm all for diversity in a TV crew, and am very happy to see more and more Asians making it to 'the big leagues', but there is often underlying politics and money at play. It works a LITTLE better with Hawaii Five-0 because there has always been a strong connection between Hawaii and Japan, there IS actually tsunami wreckage washing up on Hawaiian and North American shores and stories of things being returned, and a lot of people of Japanese descent in Hawaii (and they worked in the 'Christmas gift' and giving angle), so I think it worked to an extent. Still more or less a side-story within the episode.
  • Average episode

The serial Killer angle was good but I feel that the Catherine role is just a filler till Kono comes back after the search for adam ends. Could do with some more answers regarding the Wo Fat story line as this is more interesting. I would say this is better then Criminal Minds better Characters.
  • Five-0's investigation into the murder of a local burglar turns into something nobody could have imagined.

Is this an episode of "Hawaii Five-0" or "Criminal Minds"? While I did enjoy the episode and it kept me hooked all the way through, I did have problems with it. First, as I mentioned at the beginning, it rips off the terrific series "Criminal Minds". The scenes of Chin being held captive look like they were copied right out of a "Criminal Minds" script. Also, the character of the serial killer is such an old boring clich that it just doesn't work anymore. The psycho who seems to have the upper hand and be one step ahead of . Though I will admit the final confrontation between Chin and the killer was very well done. Also I do not like the fact that the viewer never sees the contents of the safe. From what the FBI agent said, the killer always cuts off one of his victim's fingers to keep as a souvenir. While it's safe to assume the safe was filled with severed fingers, that is never confirmed and I feel it should have been. Since CBS used that scene in the trailer to get people to tune in and then leave the question unanswered, there is no reason why that is the case. "Pakuna" is a good episode, but it is undermined by many flaws.
  • Hawaii 5-0.

So what started out as home burglaries ends in the murder of Dobbs by the a serial killer the FBI has been tracking, Dobbs just happened to rob the wrong guy. Sapoli, Dobbs' partner was the one who told him what homes to hit. So when Chin and Catherine split up and take on the possible house's that were cased, Chin hits the house where the serial killer is. Agent Conway in the end gets her man Gary Nathan after Chin with the help of Gary's girlfriend shoots him. Grace finds a little box with a heart shape necklace inside, of a missing girl from a couple of years ago that washed up on the beach, from the Tsunami from the Japan earthquake. Danny and Grace fly down to Japan to give back the necklace to the only remaining survivor, her father Mitsue Tanaka (really a very sad scene). Kono is still looking for Adam. Fantastic Episode. Thumbs Up.