Hawaii Five-0

TesserT

Hawaii Five-0 Fan Reviews page 6 of 6

7.7
  • More 24 than 5.0

I looked forward to this new show. And I see that it is well produced with a good cast. But I'm tired of and reject entirely the premise that the rules are the problem and we should throw them out. This show did not need that anyway, so it is gratuitous propaganda for the no-rules, no-regs, lawless authority supporters. We do not need to lower ourselves to the level of animals in order to win against them. And if we do then we will lose because there will be nothing worth defending. And this show did not need it to make a good story! There was very little actual rule breaking anyway! America is tired and weary of the constant escalation of violence and anti-authoritarian authorities! This in life and on screen. At some point the escalation hits a ceiling and everyone sees it is just childish BS and they start to walk away. No more lawless cowboy criminals taking over and running the show! It doesn't work, and this show will be much bettor off without it! It doesn't need it anyhow! Are they going to kill every bad guy so the court doesn't let them go after they've broken the rules with him? That's nonsense! Lets get back to the good old cowboys that lived by the rules even when they rebelled and walked the edges of them. The Duke and the original Garret were brothers under the hood. They did not need to reject the rules, they were good enough to win by them. But it only takes a weak mind, absent conscience, and gutless ignorance to take the easy way and throw out the rules. The Duke and original Garret would be ashamed. I hope they turn this show around in that respect. Then I would enjoy it.
  • A worthy remake that keeps you hanging like ten and never wipes out.

When I first heard the dreaded 'R' word in the same sentence as "Hawaii Five O", I must admit that I immediately rolled my eyes and prepared for the worst. Perhaps the only time I've ever been more wrong is when I said that there was no way in hot Hell that NBC would cancel "Law & Order" within the next two years.

What makes it an impressive remake is that the current incarnation of "Hawaii" in many ways surpasses its predecessor in terms of writing and the strength of the ensemble that forms the nucleus of its cast. The spotlight never shines too brightly on any one actor and the division of dialogue is very well planned, avoiding the pitfall of the program becoming "The Jack Lord Goes To Waikiki Hour" that the original became after the first season. The writing staff has done well to cut around the Hawaiian cliches and provide a solid action drama that is about characters and situations, with less emphasis on the program's setting and more pressure on the cast to perform, without the islands themselves being the main attraction. The show could be set along the border between Maine and Canada and still be thrilling and relevant, so the beautiful Hawaiian landscapes and sunsets showcased in transitional shots and backgrounds are really just glaze on the pork and never supersede the matter at hand. The individual performances of the cast members are punctuated by the relative anonymity of the actors themselves. When you see Kono on the screen, you're actually seeing Kono, not the actress that portrays her. This trick is nearly impossible for any veteran character actor, but the cast of "Five O" is mostly young and fresh, an excellent move on the part of the producers. "Hawaii Five O" has all the right ingredients to be a ratings tsunami for CBS not just this season but also in the future.
  • Good for you Alex Loughlin!

after watching 7 episodes i have decided that this reboot is the best reboot done so far! well, Loughlin finally landed a lead role that is no where close to a threat of cancellation. hehe. Moonlight was pretty good, love those vampires. Three Rivers was a show where it teaches us what NOT to do during procurement and transplant surgery (everything they touched was getting contaminated!) hey! third ones the charm or something like that. loughlin is perfect, danno's amazing, the whole cast was well...umm.. cast! hehe. except for Daniel Kim, i should have played his role! haha! loving the reboot and more power to come.
  • YES, YES AND YES!!!

What a great show. Absolute and substantive proof that the good ole shows are the best. Add a touch of 21st century effects, charismatic actors and an explosive script and we have another winner.

A-Team, Star Trek and now Hawaii 5.0 are examples of shows that have for years been favourites among the masses of "TV entertainment" viewers but modernised adds just that touch of authenticity that the today's technology can bring.

If you want pure entertainment at it's very best, then this is the very show to do just that. A classic and a certain hit! Bring on more of the same and well done!
  • The reason why classic TV should be respected and homaged, the merrier the better.

This one got it all: the chemistry, the sets, the action, the cheesy lines (well, any action hero needs to have one nowadays). I agree that more classic TV shows need a remake to the modern age. Back in 1988 we had a Mission Impossible remake which was hip and cool; Miami Vice made it to the big screen in a gritty yet successful way; The A-team got a chance to shine once more in what could be the first of many (oh, please do!); Even Knight Rider got his short-lived kick-off with a new set of wheels (and boy what gadgets does this one had). Just when it got interesting it got cancelled. Just hope this is not the case, since it has been long since we actually had a "regular" cop series where the lead actors had so much chemistry going on. Cause that's what partners are for. And if the premise is correct, the five-0 unit will use more to their disposal at eliminating threats. By now, this one ain't "regular". It is a keeper. If not for 12 seasons then maybe more than one.
  • Really enjoying Hawaii five O, more than I imagined I would.

Really enjoying Hawaii five O, more than I imagined I would. I'm not really a cop show girl.

My only minor quibble with Alex O'Loughlin is that he wears a shirt way too much in it :D Could they not have used the fact that it was based in Hawaii to justify him taking it off at least once in every scene?

I wasn't crazy about Scott Cann before this but I have been completely converted, he's actually kind of great and perfect for the role of Danny.

The only real criticism I have is based on the Mary character, I don't care if she is going to lead to further plot development at some point... the sooner she catches a stray bullet the better in my opinion.
  • Good show, still needs some development!!

First off, maybe I will be a little biased as I write this, I still enjoy the original series, simply for what it was. A crime show, driven by the investigation of a team. The show, was at times, humorless, but when there was humor, it was genuine, not forced. Which is my main problem with the new series. It seems, at times, when the new series started, they were trying to push the McGarrett and Williams characters as from the "Lethal Weapon" movies. Now, with the recent episodes, the series seems to be more focused and starting to fall into place. As well, I'm not a fan of the main actor in the series, Alex O'Loughlin. Although his acting is not of any debate whatsoever, but he is simply not "McGarrett". The character should have been named differently, or could have been written as an ancestor of Steve McGarrett. His character is more of a show-off, than a cop... That is just an opinion... Plus, the new series seems to be aimed more to the female audiences, than the male. There are more shots of of the actors with their shirts off, that there appears to be no balance of both. At least the original had some amazing female "eye candy"!!!

I think, for most, Jack Lord was and always will be Steve McGarrett, no matter which actor was selected for the role. Hawaii Five-O is so associated with Jack Lord, that the two simply go together. Plus Lord had so much input with the original series, since he was the unnamed Producer, following the creator of the series, Leonard Freeman's death.

One thing is consistent with both series is the scenery and the use of the Hawaiian people. This is what makes both series unique and original. I do like the new cast as well, but I think that the character names should have been different and perhaps this would make the series a drastic improvement for me.

I'm certain the series will eventually evolve, but the writers need to continue the trend where the focus is on the investigation and not on the actors!!! When the show has action; it is usually quite entertaining!!! As well, a change in the time slot, should be looked into... A 9pm slot would be better, than the current one. Thursday night, would be perfect for the show with a strong lead in...
  • A total remake of the 70's - 80's original. It's much like most modern day cop shows, but in hawaii, and the intro with the updated theme song captures the look of the original show, but really, that is where the similarities end.

Overall, it is a good show, but the only thing that makes it "Hawaii Five-O" like is the fact that it is in Hawaii and the character names are the same as the original, and the catch phrase, "Book'em Dan-O." Dan-O and McGarrett are at odds with each other, much like Kirk and Spock in the Star Trek remake, and I think they focus too much on Dan-O's problems with child custody and ex-wife. Other than that, I wouldn't call it a must see, but a good show to watch if nothing else is on. I am really anticipating when they will bring Wo-Fat on and who will play this role, and if it might tie in to the terrorists in the series premiere.
  • Very Good Show

I've never watched the original one but this is very good and it's not fair to compare it with the old five-0 . the action is very good , clearly they spent quite a money on this (comparing with other TV shows) the harmony Steve and Danno is pretty good , maybe they should have brought a sexier girl (sorry Grace). even though the 3rd episode wasn't that good -for me- I tihnk the series is getting better and better , even mom likes it (yea she saw me watching and joined me then kept asking about the series every now and then) . Anyhow I think this is one o th best action series out there and I'll enjoy tonight's episode ;)
  • A 60s-70s TV show rebooted.

I saw a little bit of the original show on repeats, so didn't really have anything to compare. I like this version a lot. I like the added drama attached to each character, and how they interact with each other. The writing isn't always perfect, but it's consistently good. And there has been some character development already (only 4 episodes into the 1st season). Until I saw the 1st episode, casting was a question as I hadn't really seen much of the four leads (didn't watch Moonlight, Lost or BSG). So far, I really like this show- it's got humor, action and the occasion "Book 'em, Danno" (to which Scott Caan's Danno doesn't react well).
  • A total reboot of the series for this decade. Don't expect the original

If you were expecting something similar to the original, forget about it. The names are the same but don't stay the same. There wasn't any females leads in the original, however it wouldn't be politically correct to not have females in the show. There are homages to the original within the show like the car that Steve in the original uses and the catch phrase. As a fan of the original, I couldn't help watching the pilot to see how the writers put together the story and how they formed the team. I had no expectations till the show went on air. I definitely was blown away afterwards. I am a little biased about the locale because I was born and raised in Hawai'i. I recognized a lot of the places where they filmed and also my bro was there at one of the sets by accident. Overall, the show is fast paced when it came time for the action. but slowed a little to develop the characters.
  • I approve

Actual resident...long time fan of the original..anyway, its nice to see a change of pace... to see Hawai'i as a haven for national security risks... To be real though, you can't expect this 5-0 to be like the original. Get that out of your head. The times have change...so its only proper that the show adapts to the change. Look at it like that and you'll enjoy it a little better. What does bother me is the little Steve vs. Dano thing they have. Hopefully as the story progresses, this will change for the better. As a resident and a skeptic of shows based in Hawaii (since most of em were terrible), I have hi hopes for this show.
  • I may have been wrong.

I didn't want this one made. I am a die-hard fan of the original, and I am usually opposed to messing with remakes; especially of really great classics.

But aside from a few introductory slips into kitsch I think the writers and performers did a great job of maintaining the style and class of the original show and its characters, while bringing the necessary updates (for lack of a better word) to a much broader and more sophisticated viewing audience.

Any concerns I have over characters will likely go away as long as the writing stays first class, and they stay away from the temptation to exploit Grace Park's obvious charms. I think all members of the cast have the chops to do credit where its due and still make the characters their own.

Keep it true CBS, and I'm in full time. Have to admit, you surprised me with this one, but I like surprises!

Now, can we assume the new version of Wo Fat did not in fact die from that climactic gunshot wound and subsequent dive into the Pacific???
  • What a positive surprise!

What can I say? Many pilots lately have been kind of lame lately, even with good shows it took them quite a bit to get going. Hawaii Five-0 on the other hand... well if they keep up this pace then we have a winner here! Really happy with the casting so far, and the action scenes are top notch. _Loved_ the slide over the two crashing cars! Also, the beginning - very well done. The FX feel expensive, so does the editing and sound.
    As for the story, well, it wasn't exactly reinventing the wheel, but it was alright. We have our villain, and I'm a bit disappointed they went for the ending that clearly left them an opening to revisit the story. But hey, it's forgiven.
    I like the banter between the characters as well.
    Oh, and may I point out Grace Park in a bikini? O-M-G.
  • Epitome of Revamped!!

I don't understand why people were saying that the show didn't premiere strong, when it clearly started off better than most shows in their whole first season.
    It would be cheap to say point out that the whole setting in Hawaii is fresh off the heels of Lost's concept of island isolation and exotic-ness.
    It would be an injustice to say that the retro idea of the same catchphrase and the original theme song is awesome for fresh eyes.
    It would be a waste to point out that there is finally a show that has Asians in the major roles and in a plot-line that fits.

What I will say is that the show has a new cutting edge that is missing in most remakes. So give it a chance before we see a good idea go to waste again.
  • Hawaii Five-0!!!!!! I Love this show! The cast is Fun And Good-Looking!..and the action is On Point. It will be interesting to see what kind of story plots they come up with. I am definably looking forward to seeing more of this show!!!!!!

Hawaii Five 0 ! ! ! ! ! ! I Love this show ! The cast is Fun And Good Looking ! . . and the action is On Point . All of their personalities fit right in with the show . It will be interesting to see what kind of story plots they come up with . I love Alex O' Loughlin's sarcasm and Scott's laid back personality . I am definably looking forward to seeing more of this show! ! ! ! ! ! I hope this show stays on air for a while because I'm loving it.
  • Super!!!

Grew up watching the original and was not sure if the new could live up to my expectations - but was I surprised! I even made the theme song my new ringtone. Can't wait from week to week to watch! The cast is great and you can tell there is a real connection. Besides the seriousness of the show, they're are some comedic moments between Alex and Scott. I've never been to Hawaii, but I really want to go now. It would be great to see them filming! I really believe the show will be a hit if they can keep characters in it long term like the original did.
  • This seems like it'll be GREAT!

I'm to young to remember the original series so i'm not comparing it to the old one. There was nothing ground breaking about it by any means. Everything was pretty standard bickering partners, a vendetta, catching bad guys and so on.

It may not be new but it works! All the right elements are there for a great Tv show. Good acting (the hotness of Alex O'Loughlin doesn't hurt either), great action sequences, great character interaction. The scenes with McGarret and Danny were hilarious. None of the elements are new but they are put together in the right way that makes it enjoyable to watch.

It wasn't thought provoking it was a fun, entertaining hour of tv. This show is definitely going straight from my maybe list to my watch list.
  • A kind of update of the Original Hawaii Five-O that starred Jack Lord as McGarrett, with the catch phrase, "Book 'em, Dan-O."

The theme song was by The Ventures, a classic, exciting instrumental theme song with the signature guitars of The Ventures augmented with punchy brass. The new show keeps the theme intact, pretty much, and some of the characters have similar names. The lead, played by Alex O'Loughlin, is also named McGarrett. He reminds me of Rob Morrow from Numb3rs, but is much more believable as a tough cop. In the opening show his father is killed. Is his father supposed to be the original McGarrett? Get your fact checkers on that. Anyway, a woman from "Designing Women" who wasn't Annie Potts, Delta Burke, or Dixie Carter plays a Senator who gives the new McGarrett carte blanche to pursue the terrorist who has killed his father. The bad guys are also smuggling in people from China. McGarrett picks Dan-O as his very reluctant partner. McGarrett is too gung ho for the divorced parent, Dan-O, who wants to live so he can go home at night and see his daughter. Dan-O is her nickname for her daddy, from when she was too young to pronounce his full apellation. This might be a bit contrived, but it gives McGarrett the chance to continue with the catch phrase, "Book 'em, Dan-O." at the close of each episode. The new Dan-O is played by Scott Caan, son of well known actor James Caan. Scott and Alex have good screen chemistry, in that they don't get along at all. It is fun to watch. When Dan-O's ex-wife calls him, the ring tone is the screeching violins theme from Psycho. That gives McGarrett a clue about how he feels about her. McGarrett chooses another guy who now works at the Pearl Harbor Gift Shop after being drummed out of the police for taking a pay off. He knows the good and bad guys in Hawaii, and McGarrett picks him for the team. He is innocent, which means there might be some friction between the corrupt cops and his newest team member. The Senator is supposed to cut through any red tape, and she can make the charges go away. Next, they choose his cousin for the team. She is cute enough to be a decoy prostitute, but tough enough to fight her way out when the bad guys figure out that she is a cop. She is in the Police Academy two weeks shy of graduation. She is also a former surf champ who blew her knee out. She is your typical tough but beautiful female that in real life would never be a cop, but on shows like this I am perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief while carefully avoiding tripping over my tongue, which is hanging out. My favorites archetypes in this genre so far are Ziva from NCIS and the fixer on The Good Wife played by Archie Punjabi. This one, played by Park Grace, has just been added to the top of the list.

At the end of the show, they are trying to come up with a name for their team. Someone suggests a hard to pronounce Hawaiin name, and they don't actually get around to Hawaii Five-O. Question: Does the show continue where the original show left off, with some connection to the original, or does the show exist in the culture, where people could refer to it, like quoting the catch phrase? When the new McGarrett says, "Book 'em Dan-O," he almost winks at the camera. When they choose Hawaii Five-O as the team's name, as you know they will, are they going to nod, as well?
1 2 3 4 5 6 >