Hawaii Five-O

A Bullet for McGarrett

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 29, 1969 on CBS

7.9
  • Wo Fat returns with a plan to hypnotise a female undercover officer into "a human bullet" to kill McGarrett.

Hawaii scenery/landmarks: The University of Hawaii area is in the majority of the scenes. Braedon and his female hypnotic target go on a picnic at the same Kahala beach area used in other episodes, with Koko Head and Kawaihoa Point shown on the far left side of the beach. A back road through Kapahulu Avenue is another area covered in this episode. As the camera views the mauka side of Kapahulu Avenue there is a shot of a familiar bank building nearby and the Leonard's parking lot in the distance - but I couldn't make out the big Leonard's sign.

Notable stars: Eric Braeden plays the professor who dabbles in hypnotism on the side. He is more well known as Victor on the Young & the Restless soap opera, but I am more familiar with his work as the evil doctor on Escape From the Planet of the Apes - or that bastard who shot Zira and her baby! It's interesting that he also used hypnotism to get Zira to reveal her past in that film.

In this episode we get a taste of the effects of hypnotism and how to manipluate another person, but some of it is a little far-fetched. When someone is broken of their hypnotic state they are supposed to be back to normal, but both the women who were put under seem to be in an almost constant state of odd behavior. The opening scene features a red chinaman being shot as he dives into a pool, though for some reason we see no red blood in the water. With the AIDS epidemic these days authorities would have drained the pool rather than have some bystander jump in to fetch a piece of evidence, so I won't deduct points for that.

Wo Fat has some classic lines in the few scenes that he is in and it's nice to have him back for a 2nd time in season 2. One can never get tired of McGarrett's clever and philosophical arch enemy. Confucious say: every 5-O episode has beauty, but not everyone sees it.
WZME