Hawaii Five-O

A Thousand Pardons -- You're Dead!

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 24, 1969 on CBS

• A crooked army seargent sets up bar hostesses with dead Vietnam soldiers to collect on the insurance, then he takes the money and murders the ladies.

Hawaii scenery/landmarks: Unless I'm mistaken, the outside of the bar might be the Stop Light strip bar from the 80's, located on the corner of Kapiolani Boulevard and Kalakaua Avenue. (The bar was not called Charley's - those painted parking spaces belonged to Charley's Taxi service.) Barbara Luna's apartment building looks like the hotel on Lagoon Drive by the used car lot. (I went to a memorable Bachelor Party there in 1984. Good thing no one took photos of me!) Luna's furniture - that orange and yellow flowered design was popular back then as I knew people with those same cheap bumpy plastic covered cushions. (My mom, for one!)

Notable stars: Of course the lovely Barbara Luna is known as the evil alternate universe Captain Kirk's woman in the Star Trek epsiode called Mirror, Mirror. Interesting that she later acted across Jack Lord in this episode - who almost became Captain Kirk! Luna plays a terrific drama queen - in space or in Hawaii! James MacArthur gets to kiss her on the beach in a bikini - the lucky guy! (No, no, Luna was in the bikini - not Danno!) Oh, and Danno...don't tell her you're a cop! Awww - you blew it, bruddah. Loretta Swit makes a cameo at the beginning but then gets run over by a car. (In season 2 both actresses who played Hot Lips in both the M*A*S*H movie and TV series guest starred.) James Hong - everybody's favorite creepy Asian character (the guy who commits Hara Kiri in Airplane!, Hannibal Chew in Blade Runner, the evil sorceror in Big Trouble in Little China and the burp master in Revenge of the Nerds 2) plays the crooked record keeper, and Harry Guardino who plays the sergeant later went on to Dirty Harry and The Enforcer alongside Clint Eastwood.

Terrific job by Guardino as the sergeant, who gets to have a classic match of wits with McGarrett in the base's pool hall. (Oh, and Steve...you have to hit the cue ball first, not the colored ones!)

This is the first episode in season 2, and I noticed a few differences. Jack Lord now narrates the upcoming previews with his famous "Be there, Aloha." The police light running through Waikiki is replaced by the Hawaiians in the outrigger during the end credits. I liked that police light better because it went sailing through numerous landmarks like the old Waikiki Theater on a then 2-way Kalakaua Avenue! The music is more evident, including more of that creepy echoing bell! "Kono - step away from the buffett table and get your hands up!" McGarrett's Hawaiian partner looks a little bit rounder in season 2. Love ya, Zulu!