TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Hawaii Five-O Forums

CBS (ended 1980)

A Hawaii Five-O sequel?

123home123

[1]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 55
    The Hollywood Reporter relayed the news on Tuesday, August 12, that CBS is planning a sequel of the c1assic detective series Hawaii Five-O.

Ed Bernero, executive producer and showrunner of Criminal Minds, is writing the pilot for what he calls "Hawaii Five-O 2.0". The main character will be Chris McGarrett, the son of Steve McGarrett. The pacing and storytelling will reflect modern sensibilities but the original series will still leave its mark. The famous title music will return but perhaps in an updated version.

A key element is the decision to film in Hawaii. Southern California really wouldn't cut it for a show set in Hawaii.

No word on when this series will join the CBS schedule but it sounds like it won't get going this fall.

What do you all think about this surprising news?
    Edited on 08/12/2008 6:15pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jamoon2006

[2]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 36
    I hate Criminal Minds, so I'd rather the remake be from another producer. But I'll give it a shot. My guess is that other than the theme song and the setting, it will be night and day compared with the original - you won't see the mix of high adventure and crime drama from the 60s and 70s. On a related note, it's interesting that CBS is prepping remakes of both this and Streets of San Francisco.

olihist

[3]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 1
    Should be interesting....I don't think the new series will quite match up to the memorable standards of the original Five-O, but at least it's an attempt. I just hope it doesn't end up like that failed NBC show "Hawaii"

Timewhisper

[4]Nov 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    I gotta see this, anyone know the airdate?

123home123

[5]Dec 3, 2008
    I don't think it will air until next season, if ever. Many of these announced projects never make it to the air. If the Screen Actors Guild goes on strike, that will only damage the chances of a new series, unless CBS thinks that "Hawaii Five-O" is a safe bet because it already has widespread name recognition.

123home123

[6]Feb 8, 2010
    Daniel Dae Kim (of "Lost" fame) has joined the cast of the remake. He will star in the role of Chin Ho Kelly.

It also sounds like a new production team is onboard. The production staff now includes people from "CSI: NY" and "Fringe", not "Criminal Minds".

It sounds like this new series could start airing this fall, or maybe next winter.

TesserT

[7]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 78
    EW/Ausiello Files Feb 10, 2010

CBS has successfully persuaded Alex O'Loughlin to headline its in-the-works remake of Hawaii Five-0, sources confirm.

O'Loughlin will play Det. Steve McGarrett, the role originated by Jack Lord.

tvking1

[8]Mar 1, 2010
    • level: 42

In my opinion, dramas these days are hard to follow, too much imagery over substance, but being a fan of the original Hawaii Five-0, I'll be sure and check out the remake. I hope it fares better than the remake of Dragnet. As for Chin Ho Kelly, will this be his son? Wasn't Chin Ho killed off at the end of Season 10? It'll be interesting to see thenew characters as well as the old ones.

123home123

[9]Mar 25, 2010
    Sounds like the new series is a remake, not a sequel. So it doesn't matter who was killed off in the original series. They're going to start over.

MSNBC had a recent piece about the 10 new shows they would be least likely to watch this fall. Unfortunately, the new "Hawaii Five-O" was on that list. But maybe the author of that item was just upset that this isn't going to be another "Runway Model" or Jersey Shore" or "American Idol". Or "Lost".

TesserT

[10]May 19, 2010
    • level: 78
    Entertainment Weekly

May 19, 2010: "CBS released its fall 2010 schedule in anticipation of its presentation to advertisers this afternoon in New York. CBS ordered four dramas"...including Hawaii 5-0 (Mondays 10pm)
    Edited on 05/19/2010 1:27pm