Hawaii Five-O Forums

CBS (ended 1980)

Missing Episode on Season 2 DVD

Vader47000

[1]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    I recently received an advanced copy of the Hawaii Five-O Season 2 DVD and the set is missing the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself."
    The box states: "The Second Season Episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once and is not included in this set. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."
    So Paramount strikes again. Not only is it missing an episode, but the studio cheaped out and used the syndicated versions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 55
    Well, I'll wait to see what the official release looks like. Paramount did a good job with the Season 1 set. All the episodes were in their original, uncut versions, including the original pilot version of "Cocoon."

Obviously the Season 1 set sold very well because Paramount almost immediately announced that Season 2 would be on the way just a few months later. That doesn't happen with old shows unless sales are good. I know that all the stores in my area were sold out or nearly sold out the first week of release. I've read many other accounts on the Web where people around the country said the same thing.

I don't think that statement on the box, even if that shows up on the final production version, means that the set will contain the syndicated versions. It sounds like a disclaimer in case they decided to edit out a controversial scene or episode like "Bored, She Hung Herself." According to all the other sources I've read, that episode is supposed to be on the set.

In any case, we only have a couple weeks before the official release date.

123home123

[3]Aug 15, 2007
    Vader47000 wrote:
    I recently received an advanced copy of the Hawaii Five-O Season 2 DVD and the set is missing the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself."
    The box states: "The Second Season Episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once and is not included in this set. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."
    So Paramount strikes again. Not only is it missing an episode, but the studio cheaped out and used the syndicated versions.

Everything you posted turned out to be true, but I think the disclaimer on the box only related to the use of the Season 1 opening titles instead of the Season 2 opening titles. The average run time for the episodes on the DVD suggests that the episodes haven't been cut. They average out to about 51 minutes each. I haven't had a chance to watch any complete episodes but I haven't read about anyone posting a list of what exactly was edited out. The Hawaii Five-O Home Page suggests that the disclaimer may only relate to the opening titles switch.
    Edited on 09/18/2007 10:20pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tvking1

[4]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 42
    As I said on another thread, it isn't right to omit the episode because of what MIGHT happen. I understand the concerns that Paramount has and wanting to protect themselves, but since this would be on a DVD, the chances that the hanging would be imitated would reduced considerably. Parents, don't let your children watch it, and make it clear that the "exercise" is deadly, which, from what I gather, was the intention of the exercise guru in the episode, using it as a murder weapon. Perhaps they could have placed it on a seperate disk. Maybe if I saw the episode I might agree that it should be left, but as it is, I'll never know.

tvking1

[5]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 42
    There should be two releases of season 2, one with the deleted episode, and one without, to make it less likely that children will see the episode, while making it possible for others to watch it.

lecagr

[6]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 3

It doesn't matter whether Bored, She Hung Herself is a good episode or not. It is part of the series and should be on the DVD. There is no valid excuse for not including the episode on the DVD. This episode is tame compared to the graphic, violent, foul languaged junk that studios are allowed to make today. No one seems to complain about that crap! Any serious five-o fan should be outraged at this blatant omission, voice displeasure to the studio and refuse to buy this product. That's precisely what I've done.

In addition, if they have put edited episodes on the DVD's, then that makes the set even more worthless than it already is.

123home123

[7]Nov 30, 2007
    Well, you don't seem to be reading too carefully. The episodes haven't been edited. The only difference is that the opening credits appear to be those from a different season. The only difference is that instead of seeing Danno running down the hall in the opening titles, he is looking through a broken window, or something like that. None of the scenes from the episodes have been edited or removed on the DVD set.

You are certainly free to boycott Paramount and refuse to buy the DVD set, but most other fans seem to have purchased the set. It's only a vocal minority that is upset about the omission.

lecagr

[8]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    If the episodes are uncut, then that's swell. I have read comments that say there are cut episodes on the DVD. What I will probably end up doing is try to track down a bootleg copy of Bored, She Hung Herself. If I succeed, then likely I'll go ahead and get the second season DVD. But the episode should have been on the DVD to begin with. No good reason for leaving it off.

123home123

[9]Dec 1, 2007
    Well, this is what Mike Quigley posted on his Hawaii Five-O Home Page site:

I suspect what they mean by "edited" is the fact that the main titles are actually the main titles from season one. The only difference in the second season titles is the line "as Dan Williams" instead of "as Danny" for James MacArthur's credit. If this is the case, then all the second season DVD episodes are "edited."

Muscle_Mike

[10]Jan 10, 2008
    • level: 11

That's really odd - My brand new official 5-O series 2 dvd pack contains Bored She Hung Herself. It's right there after Blind Tiger and before Run Johnny Run. Maybe they suddenly stopped making it on future dvd releases.

It's a pretty good episode but not one of the better ones, you guys didn't really miss much. I'll write up a quick review (along with my other exciting entertaining and in-depth 5-O reviews) one of these days.

Edited on 01/10/2008 1:28pm

rdperez

[11]Feb 26, 2010
    • level: 1

This episode was aired only once, during its run on CBS. After it aired, the Freemans learned that a person actually used the method depicted to commit sicide. Since Freeman owned the show, he ordered the show banned from future syndication and video release. I have a set of prints that I bought from a seller on iOffer.com. The episode IS in gthat pakage......and I paid only $80 for all 12 seasons!

Wiseguy70005

[12]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 14
    The disclaimer doesn't mean a thing. Paramount now puts it on all their releases. It's just there in case they slip up and put an edited episode in and someone complains or if they have a music issue and have to delete a song so they don't have to pay for music rights (as they did in season 3's "Trouble in Mind").