Hawaii Five-O

CBS (ended 1980)

123home123

Hawaii Five-O Fan Reviews (22)

• Helicopter?

Does anyone know an episode where Steve McGarrett/Jack Lord shoots down a helicopter?

I have been told about it, but cannot locate which series/episode?
  • Hawaii 5-O

I love the show but someone has to tell the producers that the background music is too loud and annoying. We often have to rewind the show to find out what is said.
  • NOISE

We love the show and have been avid fans since it began. music just keeps getting louder and louder and you cannot even understand much of the dialog. Please use some common sense and turn the background music down. I rate it lower simply because of the background music ruining the show.
  • The currect Hawaii 5 O

I would like to watch the new one, but the noise one calls music DROWNS out all dialogue. I have to change channels because I cannot enjoy the actual story line because of the noise
  • Hawaii Five- O

What do I think I LOVE the series Hawaii Five- O can't miss it even if it is reruns, me & my lil sister gotta watch our boys which is Steve & Danno & of course the rest of the cast too but Steve and Danno are our favorites :-) And just to let other ppl (fans) know The series Hawaii Five- O does not suck gotta prove it by me & that will never happen, that's how I feel & the way I see it my choice & my decision :-)
  • Steve McGarrett is the head of Hawaii 5-O, the top police force in the islands. (There, the obvious header known by all is out of the way)

I was never a big cop show viewer, but Hawaii 5-O peaked my interest as a small child. Sure, mom and dad watched other shows on TV but there was something about this one that set it apart. The fierce, tough, gritty performance by Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, who was larger than life. His loyal sidekicks who injected diversity and charm to the group. The unique and twisted villains, and the writing and dialogue that were mostly top notch. The recognizable guest stars from other shows. The beautiful Hawaiian scenery - which I called home for 30+ years. There goes McGarrett driving past Ala Moana, I was just there the other week! Familiarity and sentimentality for the beautiful island of Oahu led me to purchase the 1st and 2nd dvds of this spectacular series. I feel like I'm back in time watching this classic TV show again in my neighborhood up in Pacific Palisades. Only I don't have to ask mom and dad if I could stay up and watch it this round.
  • Hawaii Five-O was such a great series but then they come up with this new series that makes no sense at all I mean you have Steve's kid in this one but you have Danny anf Kon and they are younger now than they were in the original and the new people suck.

Hawaii Five-O was such a great police drama I use to watch it and then I also liked the streets of San Francisco then of course they come out with the new hawaii Five-O they have a person playing Steve's son then they have Danny and Kono and they are younger now than they originally was it's pretty amazing I love how they take a classic and ruin it later on down the road well enough said they just need to leave the classics alone and quit screwing them up. They remind me of Disney remaking every descent old movie that was made and messing them up it just kills me that they are not smart enough to come up with anything new.
  • Best crime data from theh 70's

There were many reasons this was a top 10 show during its run in the late 60's to 1980. Most fans will tell you it had to do with the beautiful scenery the 50th state provied and the presence of its main charactor Jack Lord but to me it was the well written stories that captured my interest. Sure they were more than a few duds throughout its 12 year run and by season 10 it had declined consideralbly in overall quality but the stories were original and varied and usually always captured my interst. In terms of seasons I would highly recommend seasons 3 and season 6 but this is more a matter of personal choice and any one of the first 9 seasons are of high quality. My favourite episode is from season 6 called One big happily family, a truly creepy episode with a equally disturbing musical score.
  • Starting with its unforgettable theme song, "Hawaii Five-O" left a lasting American cultural legacy. For twelve years, this well written series was a blueprint for CSI with its crime analysis, and used the beauty of Hawaii as its set. "Book-em Danno!"

There were many things to like about "Hawaii Five-O," from Jack Lord's marvelous performance to the lovely backdrop of our fiftieth state. What primarily kept this series going for 12 seasons were the believable crime dramas centered around supercop Steve McGarrett, who was assisted Dan Williams, wonderfully played by James MacArthur. The stories were well-written, featuring the step by step breakdown of the crime by the Five-O team and the capture of the criminal. Speaking of the villains, they were well cast and sometimes had as much depth in character as the crime fighters themselves. A true classic police drama.
  • I loved this show! I even loved the rather dismal 12th season...

I was really young when this show went on the air and a young adult when it went off the air, and I can say with absolute certainty that I watched every episode!
    This show was way ahead of its time, back in the day when CBS knew what cutting edge was and then had the guts to actually stick with a show.
    I loved the cast and the story lines were often very gutsy. Amazingly they are still mostly quite relevant today, and its a joy to watch reruns.
    I am more than a bit dismayed that they intend to make a movie about this show, from a couple of perspectives:
    1) you can't replace Jack Lord as "Steve McGarrett", and so, realizing this, rumour has it that, 2) the creators have dreamed up a movie that is to be the life of McGarrett's son!
    Who pays these people for their bad ideas, and why don't they just go away and leave a classic to stand on its own??!! There is, and will only ever be, one Hawaii Five-0. Period.
  • A classic television series that utilized The 50th state of Hawaii as a backdrop for action and adventure.

A long running TV series that was filmed entirely on location in Hawaii. Jack Lord gives a fine performance as the tireless, hard working leader Steve McGarrett of Hawaii Five-0. His assistants include Mainlander Danny(Danno)Williams, Chinese Chin Ho Kelly and Hawaiian Kono.

The Five-0 crew enforce law and order in paradise dealing with homicides, prostitution, vigilantes, narcotics trafficing, Mafiosos, and the diabolical Red Chinese Agent Wo Fat.

Great scenery, beaches, people wearing mumus, Hawaiian shirts,seer sucker suits, a black full-sized Mercury Park Lane and Grand Marquis(McGarrett's personal car) and a list who's who made appearances on this classic series.

Guest stars include Hume Cronyn(Louis Avery Filer), Sal Mineo, Christopher Walken(Academy Award Winner, The Dear Hunter), Helen Hayes(James MacArthur's mom), John Rubenstein, Lew Ayers, Rossano Brazzi, Raf Valone, Sally Kellerman, John Marley, Simon Oakland and many more
  • One of the best crime shows.

7.2
    To me this is still one of the all time great cop shows. The thing I think made it so special was its irony. The fact that you it was set in probably the most beautiful of settings, yet it had all the crime of cities like Los Angeles and New York made it Honolulu seem just like any other major American city which is just what Honolulu is. Also, the fact that the native Hawaiians in the cast were not stereotyped made it a great show. Jack Lord was perfectly cast as McGarrett and pretty much was the embodiment of the character with his tough and almost unemotional demeanor and James McCarthur was great as Danny. Of course, who could ever forget what Kam Fong brought to the show as Chin Ho. This definitely was a classic.
  • Greatest detective police drama in TV history! Believable human characters and a variety of stories that were never trite or overdone. Strong male leads that didn't have to sleep with everything upright to prove their virility/manhood.

A long time favorite since childhood. It brings back lots of fond memories of growing up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. The cars (crazy about those BIG Mercuries!), clothing, styles and attitudes are all of a simpler time. From the stirring theme song, to the beautiful scenery and handsome actors and natives, this show is a classic among classics. I cringe to think of how the original noble, upright characters will be portrayed in the forth coming movie. The character of Steve McGarrett was Jack Lord's alone and there could never have been a more perfect actor to fill his shoes. May the memory of "The Lord of Hawaii Five-O" forever reign!
  • Ahead of its time!

This show was ahead of its time and one of
    The best cop shows out there filmed entirely on
    Location in the fifteth state. With Jack Lord as the lead
    Playing Steve Garrett. Tough, dedicated, but sympathetic who really was married to his job and didn't have much of a private life!
    Loved the show and it's theme music!
  • I can't believe I actually enjoyed enjoyed enjoyed this!

I can't believe I actually enjoyed enjoyed enjoyed this! It's like one of life's guilty pleasures. You know you're not supposed to enjoy it that much but you can't help enjoying it. I can't believe I'm typing this but long live Hawaii Five-O. You have one more (secret) supporter here!
  • A great show that needs to come back. Jack lord was fantastic.

Jack lord was fantastic as Steve McGarrett. This was a pretty good television series. As is normal with good television shows, this one did not last long enough. This is a show that I would suggest watching if you get the chance. Check the bargain bins at Wal-Mart, the online movies sites (Amazon.com and such) and all of the cable channels that run old shows. Nick at Nite and TV Land are great for theses kind of shows. They will even do a week long spot for shows that only had 6 or so episodes. Then you have your super stations. They run a bunch of old shows too. All in all a pretty good show that did not get a good enough chance. Sometimes it is a simple as the show it is up against. Look at Law & Order. It is one of the longest running shows on TV. They moved it to go up against Lost. After about 2 weeks of getting pounded in the ratings it was moved back to it's original time slot. Shows like this should be given more of an opportunity.
  • The most intelligent cop of the noncontinental United States does his thing in Paradise.....

The stoic Steve McGarrett, played by the equally stoic Jack Lord, had powers of deductive reasoning that even Sherlock Holmes would envy. If you were involved in ANY criminal activity in our 50th state, McGarrett knew about it. Hell, he knew about it before YOU did. The Governor was a clueless, meaningless figurehead. McGarrett ran the show--and everybody knew it. Drug smugglers, murderers, embezzlers, jay walkers--all had to face the wrath of Steve McGarrett. Throw in the spectacular location, the fine cast of supporting characters, and the great theme song that set the tone of each week's episode, and you had can't miss entertainment. Sure there were some convoluted plot lines but they only added to McGarrett's mystique when he cracked cases with virtually no clues or evidence. When the series ended, Jack Lord remained in Hawaii for his remaining years. And who can knock that?
  • Jack Lord - Steve McGarrett. That's It. He'll always be the top cop of Hawaii.

Steve McGarrett - Top Cop of Hawaii Five-0. Even when Magnum P.I. was on the air - I would except that Steve McGarrett would show up some time on the show.
    The police that showed up on Magnum P.I. weren't the real police department - it should have been Dano and Steve question Magnum.
    Jack Lord was more cold and hard than Jack Webb portrayed.
    This is a classic show and makes Hawaii the paradise when the economy when low and slow.
    They very seldom showed the water, beaches, surfing or other tourist spots in Hawaii.
    I guess if you wanted that - you might as well just read a travel magazine.
    After the 1st season or two, the cast seemed to work out better for the show.
  • My favourite actors were Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, head of Hawaii Five-O, with James McArthur playing Danny Williams, Zulu as Kono Kalakaua and Kam Fong as Chin Ho Kelly. I wish the program was now in a DVD set so I could watch it over and over again.

I rate this program 10 out of 10. Excellent. I really enjoyed watching Hawaii Five-O on a Tuesday night at 9 p.m. on CBS. My favourite actors were Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett, head of Hawaii Five-O, with James McArthur playing Danny Williams, Zulu as Kono Kalakaua and Kam Fong as Chin Ho Kelly. I wish the program was now in a DVD set so I could watch it over and over again. The scenery was georgeous and beautiful (I wish I were there) all around and the action was super fantastic to watch with a different case to solve each week.
  • Book Em Danno

This show lasted for many seasons because of the talents of Jack Lord and great writing, but I think it helped that it was on CBS as well. CBS always seemed to stand behind it's shows longer, even after ratings begin to drop. Perhaps my memory is wrong, but didn't the show end because Jack Lord wanted it to instead of it being cancelled? There are many memorable episodes of course, but the one that always stands out in my mind was the episode with singer Nancy Wilson as the heroin addicted performer. I thought she did a great job! Hopefully the show will come out in a DVD set. I hope the show will always be in reruns somewhere at least!
  • Hawaii Five-0 was a dependable cop show with a beautiful backdrop to the ugly crimes it showed.

Hawaii Five-0 was a dependable cop show with a beautiful backdrop to the ugly crimes it showed. It may not have been the very first show filmed in Hawaii, but it was the first to stay in the collective mind of the U.S.

It showed the exotic loveliness of the islands, and the people as well! It was entirely filmed in the islands, except for the odd show here and there. It respected the native religion and customs, and even spoke about the movement for sovereignty in at least one episode.

Sure, Steve and Danny, Zulu and Chin Ho were straight arrows, but you knew you were safe in their Hawaii, even if there was the occasional threat of death by volcano explosion, gang warfare, or a master plan by Wo Fat taking place.

Obviously a product of it's time, looking back now, it inspired several other shows- not just police shows!- to film in the luscious surroundings of the Hawaiian Islands, Lost being just the latest example!

So, a dependable police procedural a trendsetter? Sure!
  • Book em Dano. Would love to see an updated version of Hawaii Five-O.

Steve ruled the islands. Great shots of the local island environment. Enjoyed sitting in front of the tube and watching Steve and crew solve the mystery and catch the bad guys. Hawaii Five-O was always filled with action shots and hoods looking to better Hawaii Five-O. Bring it on for a new updated version of Hawaii Five-O.
WZME