Hawaii Five-O

'V' For Vashon: The Father (2)

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 1972 on CBS

• Classic face-off in the world of Hawaii Five-O.

Honore Vashon tries to kill McGarrett as revenge for his foolish son's death.

This episode is my favorite of the infamous Vashon "saga", to me it has the best mix of old school organized crime and emphasis on family honor. Vashon goes after McGarrett in classic fashion, a grave-side warning (courtesy of the "patriarch"), car bombs, and a hired assassin from Australia.

There aren't really any surprises in this episode, though I was amused that the most noteworthy part of McGarrett inspecting his car for wires was that none of the trim pieces on his 70s Mercury sedan matched up very well. Its also nice to see Honore talk with his father, and the dynamic between old school mobster behavior and the more "respectable" image the Vashons are trying to project. I also like the give and take and bluffing between the assassin and Vashon when they are planning the "hit".

The ending is a bit predictable, and it would have been nice to get a little more of an idea of how the crime family is still involved in illict activities (it is revealed that Dominick, the "patriarch" tries to sell the criminal assets of the family in the next episode), as McGarrett is pretty determined to "get" the family once and for all (including using a lot of Interpol resources to track the possible assassin).