Heartbeat

Return Crossing

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Apr 19, 2009 on ITV

• A bog standard, ordinary episode.

After something like five months the Sunday night drama (which is still stuck in 1969) returned for a nine week run (after this current run concludes there will be nine episodes left from this 24 episodes long 18th series), starting with this bog standard episode (although the following episode sounds and looks a lot better).

With just over a series with Joe McFadden as the lead bobby in Aidensfield there has been enough time to get used him. Yet I just can't get used to him. He dosen't have the same screen presence that Jason Durr had (I think he's been the best lead bobby in Heartbeat), and there's something strange with his eyes (is he cross-eyed?). He looks too short as well. Those things aside he does play the part well.

I wish Miller would cheer up and use some more humour. My favourite police sergeant in Heartbeat to date has been Philip Frank's Raymond Craddock. I loved his sense of humour. Miller (along with Wetherby and Younger) just seem dull, dull, dull.

The two stories in this episode were alright, but it just felt like there wasn't much going on.