Heartland Forums

TNT (ended 2007)

Thoughts on Heartland

djariya

[1]May 20, 2007
    • level: 19

Hello TV.com posters

I want to try to keep this forum as neat as possible. Please post your general thoughts on the series in this thread. Feel free to talk about the characters, the timeslot, if it's a good companion to"The Closer."

Thanks

Edited on 06/19/2007 9:24pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bloo_91

[2]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 20
    This show is amazing! Definitely my newest favorite.

pgsuperfan

[3]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 25
    Bloo_91 wrote:
    This show is amazing! Definitely my newest favorite.

Not a favorite but in my top ten list for the summer

LordReiden

[4]Jun 21, 2007
    THIS SHOW SUCKS!!!

LordReiden

[5]Jun 22, 2007

djariya: I'll defiantly watch something esle, just wanted to save time for others as well. And u should close threads of others just becuase u have the power, we can express ourselves as long as it's not a profanaty.

P.s.

By the way i'm not against this show especialy but agains every show which is a copy of other shows in plural!!! There are so many gifted writers out there give them a chance to bring something original to us.

Edited on 06/22/2007 3:19pm

MrRossZ

[6]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 8

I agree -- heartland seems to be cross between grey/house and e.r.-- I would not be surprised if we see hybridized plots as well. In other words, when I want to see medical drama I'd tune into House first and ER second.

jo_idnew

[7]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 15

After two episodes, I still don't know a single character's name. Vancouver doesn't count. He stands out b/c it's a city and it isn't his real name anyway.

I won't list all the things about this show that annoy me, suffice it to say that if it doesn't knock my socks off this Monday, I'm done with it. I think the fact that there are nothing but crickets chirping on the episode two discussion thread speaks more eloquently than words of all that is wrong with this show. Such a shame, too, because given the premise, it should be absolutely riveting.

I sure hope Saving Grace is better when it takes over the post-Closer spot.

djariya

[8]Jun 30, 2007
    You know I'm actually surprised how it seems like noone cares about this show. TNT has been promoting the hell out of it since the spring. Also, I don't know if any of you watch The Closer, but the end credits go directly the opening scene of Heartland. I'm not saying this is the best show ever because it's not. House is a much better and more compelling medical drama. But, I'm amazed what David Hollander and Warner Horizon have managed to pull off getting this show on the air with a tiny tiny budget. Plus, they managed to get an A-List actor in Treat Williams to be the lead along with some pretty decent supporting actors. Again folks, this show is a fraction of the budget a normal network show has. Medical dramas aren't for everyone and some tend to repeat the same things over and over again. For a summer show with a pretty decent cast, I think Heartland is a good filler until the real TV season comes back....I actually like this better than Saved. But that's just my opinion.
    Edited on 06/30/2007 2:30am
    Edited 2 total times.

jo_idnew

[9]Jun 30, 2007

djariya wrote:
    You know I'm actually surprised how it seems like noone cares about this show. TNT has been promoting the hell out of it since the spring. Also, I don't know if any of you watch The Closer, but the end credits go directly the opening scene of Heartland. I'm not saying this is the best show ever because it's not. House is a much better and more compelling medical drama. But, I'm amazed what David Hollander and Warner Horizon have managed to pull off getting this show on the air with a tiny tiny budget. Plus, they managed to get an A-List actor in Treat Williams to be the lead along with some pretty decent supporting actors. Again folks, this show is a fraction of the budget a normal network show has. Medical dramas aren't for everyone and some tend to repeat the same things over and over again. For a summer show with a pretty decent cast, I think Heartland is a good filler until the real TV season comes back....I actually like this better than Saved. But that's just my opinion.

A small budget is an adequate excuse for poor production values, sparse props, and limited special effects, but not for unmemorable and unlikeable characters in mostly forgettable scenes, weird gimmicks, and writing that seems to just miss the mark. Also, I don't think the post-Closer timeslot is right for it. I watch The Closer for hard-hitting drama and a good mystery that engages my brain to try to figure out whodunit (and how Brenda is going to catch him/her). I don't think a lot ofCloser viewers are looking to follow it with something meant to give you the warm fuzzies, which is what it seems Heartland is trying to do.

As I mentioned before, I don't even know any of the characters' names yet. There have only been about four scenes that have held my attention, and only one of them in a good way.

The way the blond manipulated the family of the potential donor in episode two by wearing the cross around her neck and wiping off her lipstick to make them think she was religious like them actually made me think twice about signing my donor card next time I renew my driver's license. I want this show to make me feel good about being an organ donor, not like I am setting up my family to be played like a violin by some ghoul who wants to pick over my carcass like a vulture after I kick off. It also really disturbed me because she did it in front of her daughter just a week after the girl got busted for shoplifting condoms. What kind of character lesson is that?

If the Treat Williams character is going to keep seeing the ghosts of deceased donors, he needs to be more subtle about it or move over to Medium or Ghost Whisperer. I find it quite distracting to have him look at some stranger who has nothing to do with the scene and get a wink or a nod of recognition. It totally disrupts the flow of the scene, and I find myself thinking, Oh, yeah, he sees dead people. Alternatively, they could limit the donor appearances to times when it is clear he is seeing the donors and not just random strangers, like when they sit up in the hospital bed of the recipient. I don't know enough about Mr. Williams to say whether it is his acting, the director's instructions, or the editing, but the attempt at asubtle approach is failing miserably.

The scene where the hooker's organs were a match for the guy who had had all those transfusions was brilliant science, but it wasn't adequately explained for the viewer to understand what a miracle it was. Often, spouses can't donate blood or organs to each other because the exchange of bodily fluids during sex can cause them to build up antibodies to one another. The husband's body would have recognized the wife's organ as a foreign invader and attacked it. Because she had had so many partners, the hooker, on the other hand, amazingly wound up with a similar antibody profile to the patient, making it more likely that his body would accept her organ with a little help from the anti-rejection meds. The odds of her being a good match are astronomical--there's no reason she couldn't have had a different mess of antibodies. To have a Jane Doe prostitute also be drug- and disease-free, die in a manner that made her organs viable, and to be able to locate her next-of-kin and obtain consent is truly nothing short of a miracle. Too bad nobody told the audience.

I want to like this series. I want it to make me feel hopeful, but so far, the only scene that has moved me in a good way was when the mother tried to kill herself to give her child her heart. That single act perfectly embodies the ideal of a mother's love, and finding that such a selfless gift would have been in vain (because she wasn't a match and he wouldn't have done a transplant on a child who had no one left to care for her) was positively wrenching and the kind of drama this series needs a lot more of if it is going to be successful.

I will probably watch Heartland until it moves to Tuesdays to make room for Saving Grace but I won't follow it unless it improves dramatically in the next few episodes.

Edited on 06/30/2007 2:40pm

djariya

[10]Jun 30, 2007
    Actually as I posted on the editor blog, Heartland is moving to 8pm on July 23. The Monday lineup will be Heartland, The Closer and the Saving Grace.

Brunete20

[11]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 63
    I wanted to like the show but I don't find it realistic. For example, when they took the donor heart out of the lady, they didn't seem to donate any other organs. The operating room should be full of people waiting for the rest of the organs, like the kidneys, lungs, liver, tissue, etc. They could have save/helped over 30 people or so, instead of just one. Another thing that doesn't seem realistic is that the person always seems to die in the same hospital as the donor. What are the odds that the next person on list for an organ would be located in the same hospital? I think they only traveled once to get an organ.I'm not gonna go out of my way to make sure I watch it, afterall I can watch in On Demand whenever I want. Hopefully it will get better.

kelley0528

[12]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    Please....give us "Saved" instead. How many partial liver transplants and characters who can't make us care must we endure before you give back a superior show in return? Can it be only me tat feels this way??? Saved was far superior in every way.

jade38

[13]Jul 2, 2007
    • level: 11

Does anyone know how many episodes total were made or scheduled to air??

Thanks

Brunete20

[14]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 63
    jade38 wrote:
    Does anyone know how many episodes total were made or scheduled to air??

Thanks

There are 13 episodes total.

pgsuperfan

[15]Jul 3, 2007
    The more I watch the better it gets

jo_idnew

[16]Jul 4, 2007

kelley0528 wrote:
    Please....give us "Saved" instead. How many partial liver transplants and characters who can't make us care must we endure before you give back a superior show in return? Can it be only me tat feels this way??? Saved was far superior in every way.

While I do prefer Saved, right now I would rather see them can justone hourof Law & Order reruns to bring back Saved than tocan Heartland right now. This third episode finally, finally moved me the way a good drama ought to. The young prisoner's situation deeply affected me, especially his excitement about seeing his little niece as I have just recently become an aunty myself for the first time and can't wait to see the little guy. The plot line about the little boy, Andrew, wasn't what I thought it was at all, either. I rememberthinking when they were watching the baseball game thatthe Treat Williamscharacter should have shown that kind of devotion to his daughter.The ending where thegood doctorwent to meet his daughter at the bus s she wouldn't have to ride home with her annoying friend was beautifully poignant.

If Heartland continues with the quality I saw this week, I will continue to watch.

But I would like to be able to remember the characters names!!!

PoohBear73

[17]Jul 6, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think the show is okay, but I admit at times it doesn't hold my attention well. I do have one thing bothering me though and hope this is the place to ask it. What is with the blond girl that keeps popping up. I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far (I DVR them) and I swear she's in both. In the second episode she was wearing that pink top and black skirt, I believe. Did I miss something somewhere explaining who she was? Thanks in advance for answering. I will probably tune in for all episodes since it's on the same night as The Closer, but don't know if it will ever be one of my faves.

djariya

[18]Jul 7, 2007

Your probably talking about Thea played by Gage Golightly. She's Nathaniel's daughter.

Edited on 07/07/2007 10:44am

pgsuperfan

[19]Jul 10, 2007
    It is getting better

djariya

[20]Jul 10, 2007
    The show is indeed getting better. I think David Hollander and his writers have finally found a groove with their writing.