Heist Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Heist gets cancelled...

micke_hg

[1]Apr 8, 2006
    • level: 6
    Well, i guess it wasnt really a surprise since the bad ratings but anyway, strange that they wont let the series end.
    Personally i would have liked to see how it ended! What do you guys think about the news?

TV Squad post:
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/04/07/goodbye-heist/

Michael Ausiellos personal blog:
    http://www.michaelausiello.com/2005/2006/04/06/breaking-news/
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_MasterAK47_

[2]Apr 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    It's sad... I found it was a funny show, but maybe they will pass the rest of the season at an other moment.

thatmonkey

[3]Apr 9, 2006
    • level: 10
    That's a damn shame. Not only was it a great show, NBC never gave it a chance.

I can tell you right now that the landscape of TV is changing and my guess is in a few years network TV will be all but commercials. NBC has made some serious bad programming moves and the peacock needs to be put out to pasture and shot.

Oh well, the other networks seem to be more forgiving, so I think I'll tune in to their schedule. THe shows that NBC has dropped in the last couple years are way better than the garbage that they are currently trying to sell us.

hogwash13777

[4]Apr 9, 2006
    • level: 13
    Why can't they show it in the summer?

LordYoshi

[5]Apr 9, 2006
    • level: 15
    Well that makes my first visit to the Heist fourms a bad one, I really enjoyed this show.

_MasterAK47_

[6]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 12
    You cannot attempt to have the best ratings when you play at the same time of Lost... Not for a new show.

KrazyPlaya005

[7]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 1
    This is a shame, but I'm not suprised.

I didn't think the show would last that long to begin with, but when they dropped it in the Lost time slot I knew Heist was done. Law and Order got killed against Lost, and NBC decided to save L&O since it has another year and is the biggest franchise they have. The execs at NBC decided to cancel Heist the moment it was moved into that slot. Its a shame they wont at least give it a chance at another time or let it run in the summer.

maritimer00

[8]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 71
    Geez...cut off after only 4 eps. NBC figured it wasn't going to work and pulled the plug quick. I'm always amazed how shows that try to be edgy and build a storyline get short shrift. It might have helped if Heist had an action/drama lead in instead of Deal/No Deal...two different audiences, if you ask me.

Now we'll never know how it would have played out...

tvguy8472

[9]Apr 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    I kinda liked this show. I watched the first 2 eps. But I already had enough trouble trying to watch Lost and American Idol at 9, so when they moved it...that was it for me. Bad move, NBC.

nateman241

[10]Apr 11, 2006
    NBC does it again! they never give shows a chance. thats why cbs is #1 and NBC is not. i dont know why they dont just let it go to the end, its only a mini series so lets see the whole thing and then release on dvd then they never have too hear about it again! its the same with boomtown, they had a season 1 but when one episode in season 2 was not good they just cancelled the whole damn thing!

BarryWeen3

[11]Apr 11, 2006
    • level: 14
    Heist originally was ordered for 13 episodes, then production was halted after episode 6, I believe I read about that from one of the actual producers posting on another message board (forgotten which one though). Now on the Futon Critic, NBC will still air episode 4 (How Billy Got His Groove Back) on April 12 and episode 5 (Bury the Lead) on April 19, but will then air a Dateline NBC special on April 26, and as yet undetermined programming for the May Sweeps period. Meaning most likely that episode 6 won't be seen.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=7133

As I've said before, I started liking this show more and more as it went on. I still think it would have been a good show if it was allowed to build its audience and if it hadn't been put on Wednesday against Lost.

I'm still wondering what possible reason or who thought it was a good idea to pair up Heist with Law and Order and Conviction with Las Vegas. I really don't understand that kind of counter programming. It makes more sense to have the two crime dramas together and have a Heist/Las Vegas pairing, I mean the original Ocean's Eleven, which this show is a riff of, was set in Las Vegas. I mean CBS used that logic to set Close to Home with Ghost Whisperer and was able to boost the ratings of Close to Home and thus have it succeed.

NBC truly is the 4th network. If such logic continues, do you think they'll fall further behind the new CW merged network? That would be a truly epic tailspin.

the_311_saint

[12]Apr 12, 2006
    nateman241 wrote:
    NBC does it again! they never give shows a chance. thats why cbs is #1 and NBC is not.

I tend to think that just about every channel cancels shows equally as quick.

They're all guilty of it though...

KrazyPlaya005

[13]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 1
    Reading the article at futon critic really makes me ticked off at NBC for the time slot move.

Sure Heist's ratings were never spectacular, but the ratings for the first episode were just under Law & Order's (which was the lead in for the first two weeks).

NBC then figured out that 9/8 CST on Wednesday is a death slot against American Idol and Lost, so they decided to move L&O out of it and throw Heist to the wolves. Then, the first week, ratings drop (SHOCK) and they cancel.

This whole situation smells dirty, but this is indeed not uncommon. Its irritating that crap like Law and Order, American Idol and CSI rule the networks, while fun story-driven shows get the shaft every year.

kendahlj

[14]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 5
    I expected this cancellation after watching the first episode. The program was okay, but not great. It wasn't any better than Eyes, which ABC also cancelled after five episodes. The problem was the actors, not the writing. It may have had a chance if paired with Las Vegas, but I just am not sure it was a great show. One thing I liked is that the story was slowly building. I am not sure they are bothering to air two more episodes though...why would anyone watch episodes four and five of a 13-episode story, knowing they will never get to see the rest. I agree with the poster who said they should just film the remaining seven episodes and air it during the summer and release it on DVD. I bet they could recover their investment plus make a small profit. Maybe another network will buy the rights, but I doubt it...

JunaD

[15]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    I loved this showed. Great writing. I wish USA or some other station picked it up. I love the whole gang idea, like Ocean's Eleven or Italian Job. The Black cop/White cop thing was funny too. A little Pulp fiction/Lethal Weapon thing with White cop trying to be black. Funny. I loved his lines.

I really think NBC was trying to kill it. Put it on Friday or Saturday not up against LOST. Everybody wants Wednesday. CBS moved Amazing Race to wednesday too. I wonder how that's going.

cheezhead430

[16]Apr 14, 2006
    • level: 4
    why are all the shows i like on the two networks that blow?
    NBC and FOX
    o well

thatmonkey

[17]Apr 14, 2006
    This by far was the freshest talent on TV, NBC really screwed the pooch on this one.

UlmerTab

[18]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    Oh, **** NBC to hell. This was a stellar piece of television. The first heist alone, to gain the working capital was superb. Elaborate, yet conceivable. I hope, somehow, we can get our hands on the next 9 episodes, one way or another.

justliam

[19]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 6
    1.There should be an independent tv network. Just like what they have for Indy films

2. There were 6 eps aired and they are showing 5. However lost is a repeat next week so we will see what happens. Maybe it will boost its ratings. Everyone watch! Or someone tell me how to get a neilson box.

3.What does NBC expect? 9pm on Wednesday? The show is the best new show this spring. Yet it goes head to head up against - American Idol = Every tv viewer who doesnt watch non reality shows, Criminal Minds = Best new drama, and Lost = Need I say anything about Lost. What do they expect. Its better then Thief on FX. The show has potential. Its a criminal version or genre of Las Vegas. If they put it in any other slot it would work. I cant believe they are pulling this. Why not just try a different time slot. The ironic thing is Lost has repeats the next 2 weeks. Heist is going to air one more episode. I guarentee it will do allot better next week with lost having a repeat. And then they will pull it. These people are execs huh? Im getting so sick of this!

BarryWeen3

[20]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 14
    Hmmm....the episode guide for this show now lists both a summary and a episode air date for episode 6, does that mean all 6 episodes will actually air...hmmm....I know that at least the 5th episode is going to air this week, but NBC didn't mention anything about airing the 6th episode even though they had it finished before they halted production.

In the realm of wishful thinking, I wish that Heist was picked up by another network ala JAG, which went on to become a good hit on CBS after initially airing on, where else, NBC. It wasn't doing well on NBC, was thought to be canceled, got picked up by CBS and lasted 9 more seasons.

Hey I can dream...