A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Oh sure, you could be one of those people who doesn't watch special previews of TV shows because you like to watch an episode all in one sitting, OR you could be the guy who tells everyone else what's about to happen in the first 15 minutes because you've already seen the first 15 minutes. I think the choice is clear. 

Below you'll find the first quarter-hour of Syfy's new science-fiction thriller Helix, produced by some guys involved with Battlestar Galactica and Lost. It's about a team of CDC scientists who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible viral outbreak. Over the holiday break I watched the first two hours of the series—one of our most-anticipated new shows for 2014—and when it's good, it's really good. However, I'm obligated to warn you that the opening 15 minutes are the snooziest part (backstory and exposition, mostly) of what I've seen so far, so I think Helix is better than this preview suggests.

Note that the video is on Hulu, so geographical restrictions apply. Maybe someone in America can help out our foreign friends by describing it in detail in the comments, or inviting them to come over to your house to watch it.

Well, what did you think?

Helix premieres January 10 on Syfy.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
compelling bunch of characters, I'm in more than ever
Flag
Seemed ok. Agree with others about the very early soap-opera style relationship issues being thrown at us.

Still, weakest point of this 15 minutes was how everyone treated each other. No respect, demands made, non-optional implants (surely the first question for a scientist be "what's in it?" and "any chance this might contain the virus?").

Such an environment would more likely have respect in abundance, so i presume this is a too obvious method to tell us all is not right in this place.
Flag
I may be biased because its Ron Moore but this one had me at Burt Bacharach.
Flag
Possible BSG tie in the blond CDC lady said Frak LOL. Maybe this is in the same world as our BSG characters lived that would be tight but I'm probably just grasping at straws because of frak.
Flag
Well, this hardly makes up for losing Alphas or the lackluster of Defiance, but any scripted show on SyFy is a blessing at this point, and it looks pretty good to boot!
Flag
I placed this on my watch list for 2014 last year since I don't have any Friday shows I watch on a regular. I'm definitely giving this a try. Fingers crossed that it turns out to be a really good show.
Flag
Oh sure, if you are smart you can watch it on youtube, because syfy have uploaded it there as well. Where any country can watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviEeDRBr6w
Flag
Yes, Tim, I am one of those people that doesn't usually watch 15 minute previews because I want to watch it all in one sitting. However, I was on the fence about even giving this show a try since the recent fare that Syfy has been serving up(Defiance, Continuum) hasn't been grabbing me and they are cancelling the shows that I actually enjoyed (Eureka, WH13). So I watched this particular preview to help me decide. I'm glad I did because now, at least, I have a feel for the show and its characters. I'll be giving it a try. Thanks, Tim.
Flag
Well, i think hulu sucks :P
Flag
I'm going to Pro and Con this sucker:
Con: Being a scientist I recognising some of the "high tech" equipment they use and know what it's real purpose is - and I'm sick of the use of supposed sub-dermal implants that can be "injected" without consequence or even drawing blood, that scene pissed me off. *
Pro: It certainly looks like it has potential.
Con: Within five minutes they sneezed a load of potentially soapy relationship cliche at us.
Pro: Despite the obvious budget constraints it does look pretty cool, although...
Con: The "make-up" on Peter certainly won't win any awards.
Con: Not only was there the obvious relationship BS, but none of the characters showed any indication of being anything other than a stereotypically constrained cliche - are we placing bets on who will "do" who, who will betray the group, who will die etc?
Pro: Regardless of the Con heavy list, I'm sufficiently interested enough to be looking forward to it. It was only the first 15 minutes and there is a long journey ahead of us, plenty of time for me to be completely wrong, but most of all it's sci-fi and good sci-fi is depressingly scarce these days.

----Mini-rant alert----
*The problem is, why don't they just use a fingerprint scanner? All the "implant" achieves is exactly the same as a key card would have so why have a foreign object forced into the muscle of your thumb? If they are scared about tampering then it's a lot easier to match a radio-frequency than it is to replicate someone's fingerprint, unless hand severing is going to be an issue - in which case they still haven't achieved anything because the implant is in the hand. Then there is the fact that a hand is a complex appendage that could be easily damaged by shoving a piece of metal into it completely randomly. I know that most of you really don't give a toss about this, but it really is one of my biggest annoyances. It's simply unnecessary.
More+
Flag
Another pro - BURT BACHARACH!
Flag
I was disappointed when nobody reacted in pain or revulsion when getting the implant, but hey, they must be the hardier sort of scientist used to being probed and prodded. I have to agree with others though, I think the RF implant will likely be used for more than just opening doors, possibly for tracking and time stamping whereabouts and such...
Flag
I wondered about this too....my first thought is that the implant is something more sinister than a keycard. Or maybe the fact that the radio frequency can easily be matched will play into the series later.
Flag
I suspect it was just for effect, I doubt that there's anything more to it than just trying to look cool.
Flag
Watched it yesterday and I am hooked, really hope this turns out good.
Placing all my eggs in the 3 baskets namely..true detective, helix and black sails
Flag
It's that Tim said that it will be better, because I wasn't really that good. The writing was bad and although I understand they have to give information, it was illogically clodded together and questions were asked at the wrong time. Something like blurring the access code to the door (twice in the opening scene) is questionable, the cgi very visisble and there are many more reasons not to take this series serious. But Tim said it's getting better.
Flag
It sounds almost like you're being intentionally overcritical just to disagree with Tim, not that there's anything wrong with that ;)
Flag
Nope, I usually agree with Tim. I found this 15 minutes not really gripping but as he said that it will be better, I will watch the whole episode and even maybe give it the 4 episode test.
Flag
Can´t watch it :(
Flag
scroll down
Flag
The first fifteen looked intriguing enough for me to want to watch more. The abrasive animal expert character was over done, but everybody else seemed like they could be interesting.

My primary concerns at this point are that 1) the story seems like it should be a one season, less-than-thirteen-episodes mini-series, and stretching it out too long would make it lame, 2) though it has the potential to be interesting, it could also very easily devolve into some cheesy, B-movie, horror show, and 3) it is being done by SyFy, which is so inconsistent in quality, that I can't put a lot of faith into anything they do anymore.

There are/have been a few SyFy shows in recent years that are pretty good or got to the pretty good point (Haven, Eureka, SGU, Warehouse 13 kind of), but just about all of them have been or are being phased out and none were or have been hyped up the way Defiance and Helix have been. I think at this point, the more promising the show seems, the more SyFy tends to over think/over hype/over manage it, and ends up diluting the quality of what could have been a great show (Defiance). Hoping this emerging pattern doesn't hold true on this one. :-)
More+
Flag
o look, another video that i can not watch :( Damn you hulu
Flag
It's on Youtube, and if not there, get the browser extension called "Hola" which allows you to watch Hulu. I had this issue yesterday, but, somebody pointed out that that extension exists, and it really works well :). Happy watching
Flag
Many Many Thanks :D
Flag
it looks ok but I cant see it being a long run series
Flag
Unless... it becomes a global epidemic!
Flag
I was interested in trying the show prior to "...produced by some guys involved with Battlestar Galactica and Lost." I tried BSG and couldn't get behind it and Lost became a mess quite early on.add to that that I'm not big on splintered viewings I'll just wait until the whole thing is available. stupid syfy.
Flag
So, you obviously enjoy being in the minority then, seeing as those are often regarding as two of the most well received and fanatic-inspiring series to come out in the last decade, but sure, go ahead and disregard an entire show because its PRODUCED by people involved with shows lonely, little you did not enjoy....
Flag
regarded* and no I don't generally enjoy having to defend my feelings which is what is asked of me when stating that I'm not a big fan of the same shows other people are. BSG I only tried because of all of the hype and I couldn't make it through the first episode.

Lost I was offered the chance to see the first season on on DVD and took it. I was intrigued enough -as was my mom who was my viewing partner- to give the next episodes a shot. Lost dropped the ball not addressing a number of story-lines and yet still chose to pile new ones, one after another, on top of the old. ultimately culminating in a an absolutely terrible finale akin to and far too similar to shows and movies that had come before like "St. elsewhere."

your whole post is pointless as you missed or dismissed the last line that states "I'll just wait until the whole thing is available."

lastly, don't capitalize individual words to try and provide further emphasis. it's a fool's errand.
Flag
Your post is DUMB.
Flag
Can't reply in a string of more than 4, so I have to reply to my own post. And any defense you have to not looking dumb was lost when you chose to reply in an internet argument, thus making you look even dumber for getting baited in!
Flag
not nearly as dumb as you appear to be.

I look forward to your reply.
Flag
Terrible opening. It sounds like hotel music.
Flag
It looked like it was rushed... I can't stand 5 second intros
Flag
I prefer them over having to fast forward through 3 minutes or recaps and intro sequences of cast listings everyone memorized 3 episodes in just to watch the remaining 39 minutes of an episode minus commercial breaks...
Flag
I call BS. No one uses Sony MP3 players.
Flag
I wish people would. eff apple.
Flag
Looks like a mash up of Ice Station, X-Files and Outbreak.
Ill give it a watch for sure!
Flag
Really? You skipped The Thing, likely the closest possible resemblance you could find to this series?? Lazy, lazy posting, sir!
Flag
Hehe, yeah. The Thing came to mind as I was clicking submit. Also Andromeda Strain but hey, what can you do! :)
Flag
Just finished watching; it was okay for what it was. Nothing about it seemed overly stupid, which is a plus for this kind of show on this kind of network, so I still have every intention of watching it.
Flag
Here is the version EVERYONE CAN WATCH -

Flag
I wonder which new Ron Moore show is going to be the best, this or 'Outlander' on Starz? Both look good.
Flag
black sails!!!!
Flag
It looks like Michael Bay may be on to something with this one. Everything I've seen has made it look like "Black Sails" may perhaps give Starz the next "Spartacus" great show on their schedule.
Flag
I am surprised it is not restricted to any countries according to http://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi?ytid=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CviEeDRBr6w...
Flag
Thanks, but I think I prefer this Youtube link.
Flag
It was OK, but 15 minutes was not enough. Nice frak word. ;)
Flag
Oh God, I despise that word.
Flag
Cover your eyes and pull up the covers then, otherwise the big, bag words will come and get you in your sleep!
Flag
Been looking forward to this show for a while, same as "Defiance" last year. While that one is enjoyable but not awesome, I have higher expectations for this one. We'll see how this turns out, but I will definitely give it a shot.
Flag
I think Defiance was very disappointing so hopefully this is better.
Flag
Defiance was awful. Using sci-fi as a way to get old stories and lazy writing on TV, and to market a video game.
Flag
I think my biggest problem with Defiance is that it seems to treat its audience like idiots and force-feeds 100years of backstory to us almost every episode to make sure every little detail is explained. Just throw the story at us and let us catch up to speed, don't tip-toe us through every single insignificant little detail about every single race and every little aspect of the war, etc...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members