A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Helix S01E12: "The Reaping"

Poor Hatake, but who is going to clean up the mess in that picture up there? And who's going to clean up the mess left behind from "The Reaping," a penultimate episode that focused on *gulp* relationships? I think I've been pretty transparent with regard to what I love about Helix: the inappropriate treatment of rodents, zombified people barfing into other people's mouths, and all the other weird shit you can expect from a typical episode of this messed-up show. I was all ready to put a bunch of words on pictures and bask in the insanity of "The Reaping"—that title suggested all-out slaughter!—but the hour turned out to be more of a massacre of familial bonds than a bloodletting, and that made it a pretty uneventful table-setter for the season finale. 

Every other minute, someone was bemoaning a father or a brother or a sister or a mother instead of killing each other or spreading disease. In fact, the only contagious thing about "The Reaping" was its plethora of relationship problems. Big old softy Daniel led the charge, repeatedly voicing his disappointment in his adoptive father Hatake for lying to him about Hatake's biological daughter Julia. Sarah counseled Daniel on his relationship with his father, going so far as to assure Daniel that she was sure Hatake—the madman who caused the whole mess she's in—had a reasonable excuse for the way he was behaving. Really, Sarah? If you think you know Hatake, you're as good of a counselor as you are a scientist. Peter and Alan worked out some childhood issues during a field trip into the vents, bickering like brothers fighting over who gets the last beer, and we realized that those two had problems well before Julia made the Farragut rounds. Even the Scythe spent most of "The Reaping" weeping over the death of his mother, instead of following orders and bringing sweet death to everyone at Arctic Biosystems. And Anana, Tulok, and Balleseros got into the soapy action too as Tulok played overprotective little brother to his sis, even though the romance between Balleseros and Anana had materialized out of nowhere. What is this, Helix or Grey's Anatomy

In some cases, this relationship-building worked for the story (Daniel vs. Hatake, Scythe and Mommy), and in other cases it didn't because it felt forced and unnecessary (Alan and Peter, Anana and Balleseros). The Scythe's discovery that Hatake killed his mother led him to kidnap Julia for some payback, and Daniel bringing the cure and virus to the Scythe (why did he do that?) brought him right into the Scythe's clutches for a fun game of Sophie's Choice with Hatake. I still have no idea what Daniel was doing this entire episode, but it meant that he and Julia both ended up with explosive collars around their necks, with the Scythe telling Hatake to choose one of his kids to save so I will excuse his inexplicable behavior because of what happened next. Hatake refused to choose, Daniel made the decision for him by sacrificing himself, and the result was this nifty head-exploding .GIF:

It's a good thing Meegwun Fairbrother has a built-in safety net and can stay on the show as Daniel's twin brother, but I'm going to miss Daniel even though he was a bit of an idiot toward the end. Still, his "Sorry, father" goodbye to Hatake was a bona fide tearjerker, and his head explosion gave Hiroyuki Sanada an excuse to do some legitimate acting. There was something about seeing Hatake emotionally devastated that really punched me in the heart. I mean c'mon, this was sad!

But Daniel's demise was met with different reactions from the other witnesses. 

Haha, I loved the Scythe's reaction. And while we're talking about him, I think we should admit that he's not too scary after all. Isn't this supposed to be a man in a young boy's suit who spent centuries perfecting the art of inflicting pain and suffering? So why is he so non-threatening so far? The elevator massacre from "Black Rain" gave us a look at his murderin' skills, but in "The Reaping," he ran away from a fight and then later on he got his ass beat by Alan. ALAN! No offense, Alan, but you're kind of a wuss. The Scythe was pitched as some immortal badass, but instead he's just a brat, and that's going to be a problem going into the finale because I don't see a major threat. Heck, even the virus is like "whatever" at this point.

We also saw what was in the box that came with the Scythe, and it was either another bait-and-switch by Helix or just my overactive imagination hoping it was a monster. Instead, it was Jay—Julia's mom and Hatake's baby mama—who was definitely not looking immortal because either she's aged since Julia hallucinated her or a high-altitude drop in a cargo box adds 40 pounds and wrinkles. 

That was about it for "The Reaping," an episode could've used a lot more balance and that tried to shoehorn in some character relationships a little too late in the game to be effective. Helix needs to finish its first season on a high note, and now it's going to have to rely on one hell of a finale. 

DANGLING STRANDS

– Haha at the Scythe's friend for falling into that trench trap! Later, lady! Have a nice trip! See you next fall! Cold enough for ya? 

– If anyone can figure out when Alan and Hatake had time to make that trap (and how they set it up over a bottomless fissure), that would be cool.

– What in the heck is going on with the Anana-Balleseros-Tulok storyline? We haven't even seen these villagers they're supposed to be saving, how are we supposed to care about them? 

– Who is the "him" that the Scythe needed to speak to at the beginning of the episode? No doubt a semi-big name guest star that will later be announced as the Big Boss in Season 2. 

– Julia said Hatake was 513 years old. Is this the first time we've heard that, or did I miss that earlier? 

– I loved the girltalk between Julia and Sarah about being immortal now. They're so chill about it. "Yeah girl, you get to look 26 forever LOL!"

What'd you think of "The Reaping"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

90 Comments
Comments (90)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I don´t think Alan is so happy that Sarah is going to look 26 for ever.
I don´t think Alan is so happy that Juia is going to be... what? 35-40? forever
I don´t think Alan is so happy that everyone he cares is inmortal, and he is not.
Science sucks, is what Alan thinks now after this whole mess created by Hatake.
Flag
Craziest show ever!!!
Flag
I am starting to get fed of Helix already the Scythe is a huge disappointment the fact he killed at least eight people in that lift and gets twatted by a doc stupid. The whole story about the other twin and the eskimos is going nowhere and the vectors in the lab missing? Hopefully next week finale will make up for the laziness of this episode.
Flag
Scythe should have been cast as an older and/or tougher looking presence. The guy they have now is a baby faced kid with a limey accent. Doesn't send chills down your spine no matter how many people he kills.
I like this show. Don't think it has been great, but it's been pretty good. I hope it gets a 2nd season but if it does it better have a solid direction on where it is going to proceed because right now not sure what that's going to be. Other than the gang trying to retrieve the Narvik that Daniel for some reason hand delivered...
Flag
You left out my favorite line of the night. Scythe says to Allen, "That make you feel powerful?" And Allen takes the crowbar and beans him on the head saying, no, but this does! I was laughing out loud at the line. Great comedy.

Flag
Should be cancelled
Flag
I liked the first 5 episodes of the show, they were very good, they showed promise, but ever since Sutton appeared it's been going downhill. The Reaping is the worst episode yet.
Flag
I am now getting bored with this show. Acting, writing, everything is so bad and not in a good way. The Scythe is more like a brat than a creepy evil badass. I don't think I'll be watching the 2nd season.
Flag
This review I totally agreed with. The Scythe was truly disappointing and the show as well. I expected more from Ronald D Moore. I can only hope for a better season two. I cannot say I am disappointed if there isn't then perhaps he can go make a better show.
Flag
Spencer the Scythe is such a Joffrey!
Flag
Nah, Joffrey makes me want to kick him repeatedly in the nuts.
Schythe, just a shove is alright.
Flag
I tell u..Daniel was killed off becos the actor didn't want to play 2 characters for 1 pay. Ha!

And if Hitake was so cock sure that he could take on Scythe after Daniel's head was blown off. He could have just done that even before he had a choice to make. It was just a 1 on 1 situation man. That fella had no gun, no scythe in sight ( unless I was mistaken cos I wasn't really paying attention)

Anyway. the show is so ridiculous, its just fun to watch. Exactly what the others are saying. So many things don't make sense, till we don't really have the time or energy to debunk all of it. I think that's their motive. To seriously fuck up this show so much that we can't be bothered to set things straight :D
Flag
Poor Hatake... Poor Daniel... Scythe does not seem scary, but more like a brat indeed.

I don't understand this virus thing. That's what made them zombielike, but what would have happened to them eventually if they didn't get the cure? Why were they "scared" of Hatake and Julia? And what is Hatake, Julia and Sara now? I get they are immortal, but there must be more to it. Also, if they were immotal - how could that guy Alan & Julia found in that other station die so easily if he was supposedly immortal as well?
Flag
Helix is the new "The River."

Flag
Ilaria's downgrading threat.
--& Dozens of commandos storm Arctic Biosystems.
--& That was a distraction. there are only three of them, but they are highly trained assassins and they are more dangerous than a whole army.
--& They are actually a boy and two beautiful women, not the mercenaries you'd imagine.
--& Alan and Hatake kill one of the women and Hatake says "but the women are irrelevant."
--& So the big Itaria threat we're left with is just a brat with mommy issues. Stevie the Scythe and his mother must've watched Sophie's choice one too many times.

That was 100% pure Helix nonsense gold!
Flag
its a bad show and you waste too much time on it - watch something better, or get better taste
Flag
I left you speechless. I knew you wouldn't have an answer for my question. There simply isn't anything better than Helix on Tv!
Flag
Helix is a lot of fun, and at least I don't waste my time on boards of shows I don't like. Who are you? The TV taste police? Which shows of such lofty quality do you enjoy then? Please, enlighten me.
Flag
The big thing to me in this episode was Julia casually dropping that Hatake is 500 years old. This means that somehow, in the 16th century, they already invented immortality? I thought it was this virus that was supposed to do that, but somehow they had genetic manipulation in the 1500s? The fuck is going on here?
Flag
Clearly it must be a natural mutation. Through how did Hatake survive 500 years without his lenses is a mystery.

I suspect it more as of fuck what do we do if Syfy is somehow silly enough to order another series, let stick in the fact Hatake is 500 years old that a good hook for season 2. This is a Ron Moor show and he doesn't do planning out future seasons after all, which is how BSG ened up such an unwatchable mess by season 3.
Flag
what acting! what plot! no what acting? what plot? I only lasted 10 minutes tonight...WTF with alan whispering, worst actor ever! Goodnight Helix
Flag
I really don't get the Sergio-Anana-bunch_of_extras storyline. What is it with the need for more shows to have a by-story away from home? The Base is a great set for the story, and Sergio was important. Saving the villagers is boring, sorry.

Also, I like the fact that the great assassin is deceivingly teenager, but the character is written like a teenager, too. They should make him more hardened, and the mommy storyline was useless. It would be great if he stayed the deadly, cold killer of the elevator scene. Not all big bads need weepy backstories.

The Jay storyline (mother in distress) is done to death. I hoped for more creativity from this show.
Flag
They didn't the story about illari corporation, the villagers, the love triangle or even being immortal, they could have just told a straight simple story of them battling a virus that is able to adapt and change and fight back and then expand the idea that this lab was doing a lot of illegal research on a lot of stuff, outside of any oversight.
Flag
The final 5 minutes basically made the episode pretty good, as everything leading up to it was ehhhhh.
Flag
nothing "good" about helix
Flag
I don't know, the conversation about immortality that the women had seems ludicrous to me. They took things too matter of factly.
And Julia's blood can make anyone immortal?
Flag
It was hinted that there were rules that over 500 of them were allowed to exist, which suggests that they could easily create more of themselves if there wasn't rules to prevent it. We also know or at least it was hinted that they aren't or can't have children.
Flag
I dismissed what they said about not being able to have children since 2 of the immortals we have seen so far in fact have children. :-)
Flag
helix is a very good show so far, but not great one.

however, Fringe had so-and-so first season and was great later. And Helix has better first season than Fringe did.
Flag
I agree with you about the Fringe season 1, I almost quit because it seemed too much like X-files...and then season 2 started :D I just hope Helix kills off all the bad-actors (a lot) and steers to a somewhat believable storyline...
Flag
Oh and I was totally crying at the end... I realize Daniel didn't sell it on remotely the same level as Hatake, but it was heart wrenching non the less. I was really sad to see Daniel go, even though he started out pretty sketchball, he became a good character later on. Although what exactly was he FUCKING THINKING DELIVERING THE VIRUS RIGHT TO ILARIA? Even if he did it for Hatake, is one mans life worth the deaths of billions of ppl? Fuck no... Be a lil more selfish.. Unless it was a ruse.. and what they have aren't actually the core Narvik samples. But why would Daniel do something like that without telling anyone? I don't think it was a ruse, I think he actually was that stupid.

Flag
Like everyone else, I am also confused why Daniel brought the cylinders to the Scythe since there was no strategic advantage. As a side note, the actor who played the Scythe also played a similar character that can't age on Being Human as a ghost who committed suicide and is now young forever.
Flag
Ok so.. way back when, Balls was supposed to recover Dr. Havitt, who ended up being just a head.. so I was left with the impression that the heads retained in those tube things could later regenerate a body or could be attached to a new body..cuz why else would they keep the heads like that? Why wouldn't they just burn em or otherwise discard them? I think this will play a part in the finale, Hatake offering Scythe his mother's head back in exchange for letting them go or something.. I just don't understand why else they'd make that HUGE deal about getting Havitt's head back from Balls (from Ilaria technically since he was under their orders) if they couldn't use it somehow.. I bet Constance Sutton will return, I thought so from the moment Hatake killed her.. I just figured Scythe assumed Hatake had destroyed her head too.
Flag
Yeah, I got the impression also that the heads can be regenerated when attached to the body or a host body so they aren't dead.
Flag
I guess when a Scythe has been around a long time, it gets a bit rusty. At least that's the explanation I'm going with now for a completely inept defense against Alan of all people! I mean that was Alan, the incompetent CDC lab guy, he swept this stone-cold immortal killer off of his chair and knocked him out! WTF!!!

Girl talk is the best! On the other hand, bro talk is so cliche.

But the father/son talk would've been more intriguing if Daniel had showed more emotion. But I don't get it. We finally see a bit more potential from Daniel during the last episode, and then he's killed off?! And that was the first time we've seen Hatake let his controlled facade drop and show some serious grief.

Sergio...baby, you are so needed back at the base! Maybe you can show the wussy baby-face Scythe how a real killer works!
Flag
And one last question: why get into an elevator, kidnap Julia but do not kill the other ones?
Flag
I even find the show better nowadays. Better of course being a relative term. I found no technical or otherwise really stupid faults in this episode. That made it less funny in a way, but it added to the story.

I do hope our main protagonist Hatake will beam up to his spaceship next week and will leave humankind to deal with its own business for at least halve a year.

Since they added the immortal storyline, for me the attraction rose to about 65% (imagine what it had been before) as the possibilities became huge. Almost the same as it had been a real scifi story instead of a fantasy one.

I'm with you on the fact that this kid just acted like a kid about his mother and how he was captured,. Nothing like a killer who has been around for years. With you with the question why Daniel brought the virus to this kid. I was amazed that he knew the code to the safe as nobody will have told him (do not tell me he saw it when Sarah opened it) so I hope to get an answer on this next episode.

Bringing in Mom/Jay in for the last episode sounds like a Deus ex Machina where mom is going to be the factor that brings about the final solution. Been there, done that and will not accept it.

I did love the fact that we finally got to know how old Hatake is. Did he have other kids and what happened to them? I do not believe he stayed single until this time.

Also with you on the village kids. they might just be another kind of Deus ex Machina, turning up in battle at the moment hey're need to win it all. I was really pissed of when they mentioned having done 40 km in a day and thinking it was great. It sounded realistic but that station where we found our Norwegian immortal was 75 km away and it seemed as if our protagonists (not sure if they are, but ok) got to that station in only an hour.

More+
Flag
Yeah, for next time figure out a fun way to kill Peter, maybe even the Banana! Let's also kill Tulok. Let's just torture Alan and leave him with that. Everyone blames Sarah for being a stupid scientist, but seriously what has Alan done till now except getting everyone killed. Not complaining though please keep your brain shut off Alan. This show gives dialogue between the Farragut brothers with almost as subtlety as a flower being crushed with stone. Also Sarah 0000 is not a good password. Be better than that! and I guess Daniel leaved the attic without any1 noticing because he had a time stopping device i guess which he developed from spare parts and could use just once, because I can't think of any other way. Everyone was in the cabin. Also I have figured out how they created the bottomless fissure. Hatake is an Arrow fan. After watching the season 1 finale he made the bunker earthquake proof while developing an earthquake machine he used in this instance. That's the virus and cure combo Hatake style bitches!
Flag
Notice how I write this jumping so haphazardly between things. Thanks Helix you taught me this! It's just annoying for any1 who reads this!
Flag
Oh my god :( i felt so sorry for hataki , i hoped his brother got killed not him. Please make him in a dream next episode and didn't got killed.
Flag
Poor Hatake about losing his son! Can't wait for next episode! Please renew this show! :)
Flag
I'm going to miss Daniel/Mishka on the show, because his brother sucks. I really would have loved if the brother could have gotten killed instead. He is one dimensional and a little mean. So I would not be sad if he was the next to go; but the actor playing the twins is good. Um.... I did have to get the eye roll on one major thing "THESE CHARACTERS ARE NOT SUPERNATURAL & Scythe disappearing like Batman took me way out of the realm of belief, your in the snow and your wearing black you can't just disappear and then Julia getting taken um how the hell did that happen. She didn't scream or nothing somebody comes out of the ceiling for me, I'm screaming like a bitch (Under these circumstances) Also why didn't Hatake tackle Scythe before Daniel killed himself, He could have kicked that chair and gone after him a few moments earlier. I'm sure that little psycho would have killed both, Promise or not. It was a good scene but Hatake was a little slow on the draw on that one. And Balleseros leaving um what's the point of this story anyway, they literally left the center of the action; maybe this was the excuse to send Balleseros back to the base. I think he will turn out to be an immortal too. Now I just hope that the cliffhanger we get for the end of season will be a good one and not something stupid.
More+
Flag
Twas a good episode for me. I had the same thought when Julia said Hitake was over 500, I don't remember hearing that before. Fairly significant piece of info!
Flag
Julia and Sarah girl talk was great. Everything else - not so much.

Still no space ship :(

It's good they didn't kill Julia (I really hope she can re-grow her finger) cause I would stop watching Helix.

Shame Jay is old - she will probably die soon.
Flag
It was all right. I think I have finally come to terms with that there s no actual science to be had in the show. Which is all right as long as it entertains. They killed of Daniel, which I find good, I think he would have dragged it down as the series goes on. Scotty is so hilariously not intimidating that it is just too funny. It was kind of solidified since Hatake and Alan beat him up. I mean really, you are this ultimo assassin and you got beat up by the equivalent of John Kerry.

Alan I feel still is the worse character. Delusions of grandeur much? You are a half assed Doctor that is crappy at your job, you would rather braid your brothers hair than do any science whatsoever, you got members of your team killed because you are incompetent, at what point in your deluded life gave you the confidence to think that you can take on a bunch of Assassins from a conglomerate of people that have lived for quite some time. What a dick.

Sarah and Julia are fun. The contemplation of them living forever was fun to watch. Of course Sarah is going to focus on the negative aspects of it. Because she is a debbie downer. Better jump on Alan again fast, his time is limited. Hopefully, if they give him silver eyes I am going to be perturbed.

Overall it was fun. I am not sure what is going on with the village. That just seemed tacked on to remind us that they are there.
More+
Flag
So is the chick that fell in the trench dead, or like hanging out down there forever?

I completely agree about Hatake's reaction to Daniel's death, that was heartbreaking. Sanada is way too good for this show.

One more ep and I can quit this show for good. Or can I...
Flag
I wish they told where they get their contacts from. Seems great!
Flag
Daniel! did he delivered them the virus and the cure?
if so, so what were Scythe and the blonde waiting for? kill them all
or was Daniel stupid enough to invoke Scythe? just to be caught and find out how would Hatake react? Good for you Daniel... u r news &_&

and Scythe... so much for a powerful stone cold killer
Scythe: that make you feel powerful
Alan : No but this does
... nope Hatake over-estimated you

Julia missing a finger... will she grow it back?
Flag
It's been quite some time since I have called Timothy 'Nitpicky' Surette, out, on his quote-unquote 'work' but it's time, once again for me to do so.

Timothy, you should know better than to take the word 'reaping' literally, and then base the foundation of your quote-unquote 'review' on a flawed assumption!

If we look at what transpired during this episode, it is easy to see that the 'reaping' that took place, was not a physical one i.e. death of characters, but rather an anaclitic one (of or relating to a strong emotional dependence on one or more people).

I thought the episode was brilliant (one of the best of the season), and it deserves greater praise than the flawed, opinionated text, in the 'review' above, and can't wait for the final episode.
Flag

this is truly starting to suck. The "secret" passages, the sudden revealing of "secret" levels - did the writers all graduate from some really dumbed down "creative" writing course? Then there are the endless air ducts that make the "secret" passages etc. unnecessary anyway! I had high hopes for this show in the beginning but I see little worth watching anymore. When you need people to do truly stupid stuff to advance your story you have a really bad story anyway - regardless of the creepy soundtrack. When I am the evil genius running the world, my minions will have to go to the firing range weekly and will be sumarily shot if they only fire "warning" shots and miss everything. Also, all the airducts in my kingdom will only be four inches wide but tall enough to accommodate the amount of air required. Hidden secret passages will not be allowed unless they are MY scret passages - none are to constructed for use of my minions - fail the ID check and it explodes
Flag
Yeah. Very strange episode. Daniel was an idiot giving them the virus so he deserved to die.
The villager storyline is horrible. I wish they would all fall into a fissure.
Flag
I did like Julia & Sarah girl talk... that was about the best part of this ep.

The brother talk was very forced.

And Allen smacking the kid with a pry bar & saying that line was laughable
Flag
The last two episodes, was so lame :(
They changes the writers or what???
Flag
That was a fun ride, just disappointed that Scythe was acting like a kid having so fun with poor Hatake.
Flag
Here's the shit,there's the fan and you know what happens next.Helix is pure cheesy delight with a lot of 'what the f**k' moments.This was a fun episode with great character moments and a devilish punk-ass villain.I didn't expect Daniel to die or that Sutton was Scythe's mother but that's what Helix is all about...expect the unexpected and that ending with Julia's mother was definitely unexpected.Can't wait to see the fall-out from all this drama in next week's finale.One thing's for sure,we're in for a hell of a ride.
Hope this series gets picked up for season 2,because if it doesn't,where else will I get my junk food TV.
Flag
Nobody expects ....

Flag
Love Monty Python!These guys still crack me up!
Flag
I thought the episode was great... twisted and sick at points but great. And maybe that's what Helix is: a twisted, fun sci fi horror thriller that doesn't take itself too seriously yet still manages to be a deep experience when you slow down and realise, it's answering some questions while slowly introducing potentially game changing questions that might alter the landscape of the show from here on out.

Whatever Helix is... it works and it works better than most things on TV right now. But this is sci fi... er, syfy... if they know how to do one thing, it's create a fun and enjoyable series.
Flag
What would make season 2 a bonafide hit is if they put explosive collars on the whole cast. Give the audience the remotes; If you do not learn some actual science and stop the "Dallas of the Arctic" family crap, you are a goner. (Aw, bye indecisive Daniel.) Scthe is a punk-brat.
Flag
Just like any 'reality' show nowadays.
Flag
Scythe.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members