A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Helix S01E05: "The White Room"

Any serialized sci-fi ridealong with a big mystery at its gooey center will go through phases of asking questions and answering questions and then answering questions with even more questions. Call it the Lost effect or the Now These Writers Are Just Making Shit Up effect, but it's not only part of the process, it's part of the fun (whether you'll admit it or not). However, that fun can quickly become exhaustion if questions only spin viewers around in circles, making them dizzy from extraneous and inconsequential details (seriously, what was the deal with Claire's psychic?).

Helix is currently in asking-more-questions mode: The killer virus became a temporary afterthought in "The White Room," and I think the result is making everything more fun. Some new questions I have after watching the episode: 

• Frozen monkeys can scream!?
  • Is Hatake some sort of zombie man?
  • WTF ghosts?

These are great questions that any show would be overjoyed to have its audience asking, and as Helix peeled back another layer, it seemingly became a whole lot more than what we initially thought it was. Remember when this was a quiet, patient series about little microscopic bugs that could only be seen under microscopes? Now it's a creepy, full-blown horror show. I enjoyed the frozen hell out of "The White Room" because Helix is approaching a level of insanity I had only ever dreamed of. And also because Sarah finally killed off that useless infected broad.

The biggest improvement over last week's draggy "Single Strand" came from all the characters finally arching their eyebrows at one other in suspicion, rather than waiting around for stuff to happen—like when Alan hovered over Peter for an hour or Sarah locked herself in a room with an infected patient. We've been waiting for characters to catch up to what we already know, and now the light bulbs are flashing on over characters' heads. Everyone was looking at everyone else like they were at a Paranoid Schizophrenics Anonymous meeting, and it all paid off with the major breakthrough being Alan's discovery that Balleseros is kind of a dick. We always knew that Balleseros was a no-gooder (or maybe an actual gooder who just had to make tough decisions about things we have no knowledge of), but now that Alan knows, everything changes. And a gold star for Alan for telling everyone who would listen that Ballsy killed Doreen and was a bad dude. It's about time someone knew what to do with information on this show. 

All of this progress culminated in the thrilling ending when we learned that the famed White Room was an inside joke among the scientists who referred to the Arctic as a whole, and Alan and Daniel the Security Guy realized that the secret Dr. Hvit who Balleseros needed before he could be extracted was outside. Daniel got a head start and went outside in the blinding snow and negative temperatures to find the severed head of Dr. Hvit in some fancy outdoor tube that rose up from the ground (as though he already knew where it was). A severed head! Pretty much anything is better with a severed head. But Balleseros was sneaking behind Daniel and clanged him with a shovel. Alan showed up soon after that, and Balleseros had no trouble kicking Alan's ass and kicking him down a snow slope (Alan would eventually make it back inside). But wait! There's more! Daniel wasn't out cold in the cold for long, and he stuck Balleseros with a grappling hook, stripped him down in the snow, and walked off with Dr. Hvit's head. Who is Dr. Hvit? I don't know! What did Balleseros's people want with a severed head? Ya got me! 

Julia's adventures in the basement didn't get much sunnier relative to what she experienced last week. But at least she had more company from Hatake, who gave himself a pre-credits impaling on a knife. Why did he do that? I don't have an answer, but I love the question. Hatake, Julia, and Jay limped around the corridors dodging vectors to provide most of the episode's horror thrills, but the psychological terror came from realizing that Jay was just a hallucination of Julia's as the infection spread within her. This was plainly obvious early on and it didn't appear that the episode was trying to hide Jayllucination, but it still went through the motions of being a shocking reveal at the end when Julia realized it herself. It's tricky to play the ol' "this character is a hallucination" card in any situation, but Helix gave it away when Julia mentioned that hallucinations were part of the sickness and Hatake was like, "Girl, who are you talking to?" But Jayllucination certainly saw Hatake and knew who he was, so she's obviously a ghost! I don't know, actually. But having a ghost on this wacky show sounds like a good idea to me. 

I'll only briefly mention Sarah because this girl is super dumb. Her sick doctor friend from last week continued to be a problem, and at one point she escaped and tried to spit black goo down Sarah's throat after tripping about dancing for her old boyfriend. So what did Sarah do? She invited the lady back to her place again. Truth to you all out there: If you try to barf into my mouth you will not be invited over to my house for at least a full day. Thank goodness Sarah finally came to her senses and decided that assisted suicide was the way to proceed, so now the infected lady is dead because Sarah pumped her full of death serum. Maybe I was supposed to be sad during this scene—the music certainly wanted me to be—but I felt nothing but joy. Phew, glad that bit is over with and Sarah Kervorkian can get on with her life. 

And now Helix can get on with its life, too. It's just now that this show is living a certifiably crazy life, with severed heads, ghostly hallucinations, zombie-ish weirdos lurking in the dark, and a crazy old Japanese guy who commits Hari Kari for fun. Is this the fourth season of American Horror Story? Is there a method to Helix's madness? Is this brilliant pacing for a series that knows where it's going, or extravagant filler in the middle episodes? We seem to have entered a gray area where everything is delightfully mad. After "The White Room," I am no closer to understanding what the hell is happening on in this show, but I sure am enjoying myself. 

LAB NOTES

Helix is making the jump from mysterious scientific thriller to straight-up horror series, and having a hairless rat crawl out of the mouth of the mouth of a corpse is one way to hurry that transition along. I approve!

– Hallucination or not, why would Jay throw the group's only source of light toward something that was making scary sounds? Sure, we got a cool close-up of a snarling vector, but maybe just run in the opposite direction next time. 

– Any theories on why Hatake stabbed himself? I'm guessing he's working on making himself immortal and that he's pretty close if not already there, so that was just a pin prick to him. By stabbing himself, he was able to get closer to Julia and whatever weird bond he thinks he has with her. Maybe he should've asked her out for a cup of coffee instead, but hey, I guess that's how things are in the Arctic. 

– Why did those frozen monkeys scream when Balleseros lit them on fire? Were they in suspended animation and thawed by the fire just enough to realize they were on fire? Sure! 

– Sarah kissed Alan finally. And Alan kissed her back even though he didn't want to. Go Alan! Get some!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

230 Comments
Comments (230)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well its certainly daft in its own way but not as ridiculous as the Wallowing or the Dome , I reckon that the Dr Hevit Head has the original strain of the virus thats why the government want it. Its about time the good doctor figured out the Major , Sarah could do with dying now its getting boring I mean what a flawed employee to have in dealing with viruses who has a tumor ? I reckon that the monkeys were thawed and thats why they screamed and I do miss the brutish doreen RIP
Flag
I was losing hope in this show... you know episode four wasn't that exciting but man did I love episode five. It was full of weirdness and questions. Loved it.
Flag
Dr. Hvit is clearly Thomas Jerome Newton!
Flag
geez. this show is a mess)
Flag
Hatake is Julia's father...
Flag
OT: Is Battlestar Galactica really that great? I've never watched the show however I did see a movie with a friend about BG called "The Plan" and it seemed to chronicle a good deal of time from the pov of the cylons. I liked the movie, but I felt like I didn't get as much out of it because I wasn't familiar with the characters and storyline of the show. Have I ruined watching the show by watching the movie?
Flag
skip the 80s stuff like I did and start with the mini and then go from there. I really liked it. I think it is on netflixs if you have netflixs
Flag
Personally, I think it was really great & it lives up to alot of its reputation, but don't let that draw you in. Since The Plan covered events from the miniseries on through season 2, I'd say start at the beginning with the mini & simply decide on its merits how much further you wanna go from there. I waited a few years before I started watching it because I was irritated by all the hype surrounding it...but when I finally sat down to watch, I loved it & lost alot of sleep because I just had to keep going to the next ep.

Flag
I love this show already! It's so atmospheric. Too bad Doreen is dead though.
Flag
Why do you need to show the rat out of the mouth scene again ? !! You must really enjoy horror !

I loved the first 3 episode of this show but now I have reached the point where I just do not know. So many questions that I am not sure if the writers have any answers to and if the show get cancelled after 1 season than we will be left with no answers. There is a scary proposition that happens too often.

And my favorite villain died ! He was one of the best character in the show and the guy that played him did a good job. Now 2 great characters had died so early. Doreen and the villain that killed him !

And that stupid brother is still alive and from the promo trailers, he seems to be up and walking next episode. OMG !

Flag
Hold out hope Magpi, I don't think Balls is actually dead.
Flag
I really hoped you are right !
Flag
I was having my doubts about Helix already as it continued to leap over the shark like it was a skipping rope, and so soon into it's first run......but now Surette loves it, I KNOW it's time to bail......
Flag
lol! true but I've watched this long and so I'm having a hard time quitting...I'm holding out hope for some kickass aliens! At least Tim likes POI and Justified...surprised he likes this as much as he does but maybe it's because is aren't any sci fi thrillers on.... Not a big deal as we all have slightly different tastes in shows but your comment made me giggle!
Flag
I know, I know - I always tell myself to be good and be nice. But then I figure that for me sarcasm isn't a hobby or an attitude; it's an artform.

Still, so long as I made you giggle I consider it a job well done. ;) For me the final straw is the army guy not getting rumbled - I mean seriously, he just needs a moustache to twirl and he's good to go. And the 'oh yes I like you.......' reply with the unsaid "I like you dead!.....MWHAHAHAAA!" It was just so OTT I actually physically cringed. And why pull over the zombie rat cages? I mean no one's going to believe she committed SBZR (suicide by Zombie Rat) are they? I can think of easier ways to shuffle off this mortal coil.

THEN he left all her research there on the computer.......WHY?! If you're going to kill the poor woman at least make her death worth something by stealing the information you don't want anyone to know and the reason you murdered her to begin with! I mean does he think him and her are the only ones able to activate a laptop? Everyone else is super intelligent with DNA, Genetics, and NOT computers? I mean really it.....oh wait, there goes that shark again...... ;)
More +
Flag
even more evidence that this is where Dexter's final season writers ended up;-)
Flag
Well, so long as the zombie rats eat them after what they did to that once great show, then I'll be happy. The final season of Dexter was beyond awful. :(
Flag
I'm so glad I stopped watching this show. In spite of Doreen's weird diction, I thought she was the one redeeming factor. Since she has been killed off - what's left?
Flag
I liked the episode, but for different reasons than most of those who've commented. While I also thought the screaming monkeys and freaky rat-out-of-mouth were cool scenes, what really got me were the small reveals. How come no one else noticed how the security guard's eyes glowed the same way as Hataki's eyes right after Balleseros tried to shake up his loyalty? I had to re-watch that scene just to be sure I wasn't mistaken. And then the security guy starts thinking (I didn't think he even knew how to do that) and figured out that Balleseros had destroyed the video footage. And then he causes Alan to re-think who he trusts? Wow, way to go from being a waste of a character to someone actually relevant. And the whole white room-arctic joke, too cool.

I hadn't caught on to the fact that Jay was a hallucination, but then I wasn't paying as much attention to that plotline.

How could Daniel kill my favorite black-ops guy??! No!!! I hope he's not really dead!! I'm so bummed.

Alan finally acts like a leader in charge of a team...of course his team's decimated, but still, it's a start.
More+
Flag
At approx 7:06 (by the copy I watched anyways) I can kinda see what WildPact may be referencing.. At the end of sec guard's talk with Balls, after Balls starts walking away, sec guard turns around to watch him go, and though I don't really think his eyes flash exactly like Hatake's did, his eyes do visibly dilate very quickly in a seemingly abnormal fashion. It took me a sec to even make sure it was happening it happened so fast. There is also a sound effect made right at the same moment before the scene transitions to Hatake that makes the eye thing stick out a lil more.
Flag
I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it; they didn't glow as much as Hataki's, but the outer ring did glow. Since the camera did rest there for a split second, I think we were supposed to see it.
Flag
I watched every second of the security guard in the episode over and over and his eyes never once glowed so I don't know what your talking about with that. I'm a little annoyed too spending all this time trying to see it when it isn't even there, can you please look again and if you still see it happening please tell me the time or the exact words said before the eyes glow and the words after. What is odd is how you say " I had to re-watch that scene just to be sure I wasn't mistaken." but clearly you are mistaken unless they made 2 versions of the show lol.
Flag
I will find the time stamp when it happened; it will just have to wait until I can catch the episode free on Syfy since I already deleted it from my DVR.
Flag
I hate agreeing with Tim because usually I am sure he lives on another planet and never sees the same thing that I see but I can agree with a few things (painfully) this time.

I spent most of the episode wondering what the hell was going on but I loved how it all seems to be coming together...into what I am still not sure. My favorite was the whole outdoor sequence. I LOVED seeing all the arctic white and the characters fighting with this major death element in the mix! I have never quite seen anything like that so kudos for originality and major kudos for terror!!

Sci fi isn't my genre but I am a sucker for a good story and imho this story just got good. I wanted to choke Sarah for bringing death chick back to her room again...I mean COME ON! That was the dumbest damn thing ever and hopefully the writers have that out of their system.

I also love how fractured the team is literally...everyone is split up and facing their own stuff. I was probably the only one that thought Jay was real so the reveal shocked me...and Hatake WTF? Right. I will be watching next week. Pleasant way to do Fridays until Haven comes back.
More+
Flag
Now we know where the writers of Dexter's final season went to work!
Flag
I used to give this guy credit for Battlestar Galactica.
Flag
After watching this episode I wanted to quit, but this review by Tim gave me a bit of hope. He pointed out some aspects that (for me) drowned in the illogical and unrealistic aspects that all have been described in comments below. It sometimes feels like a Revolution season 1 episode. I am also happy that I'm not a MD so I can't see the obvious mistakes that they make in that field.

I am still hoping for the overall sci-fi arc to be interesting, and for me it doesn't need to be horror but I'm afraid it will not happen.

The rat was a nice detail, although they should have told the CGI department that a rat that walked through blood will leave prints.

If they had used all the filler in these last episodes to tell us why they all ignore rules (some related background people) it would have made it acceptable. Now it just seems irritating. You and I, the normal viewers, would never do some of the things they do. Why would trained scientists of the CDC do it?

I do hope we get more of the major background story so we get to know why he did it. I fear that in the end he just will have been a 'hand/tool' and we will not get any explanation. I also do not hope it will be renewed like UtD and we will not find out what is happening and it will resolved in an acceptable fashion..
More+
Flag
I don't about everyone else commenting here, but Helix is crazy fun. I likey. Please don't compare it with Under the Dome random commenter down there. I couldn't take more than 15 minutes of that show.
Flag
Really don't know that I like Helix. This episode was better previous episodes though that maybe more to the horror factor that anything else. As many reviewers have and keep commenting it is littered with factual errors particularly when it comes to the procedural elements. Helix needs to do more consulting with experts on this show element. For anyone that might be interested please look up a radio drama from a gentleman called Simon Bovey. The Drama is called Cold Blood. See how it chimes with Helix.
Flag
Soooo....Julia is Hatake's cloned daughter, right?
Flag
Only if he or she got a complete makeover as he appears to be Japanese/Asian and she appears to be Caucasian.
Flag
And I thought Jay looked like Julia, like they were related or something.
Flag
Yes perfect! This is it.
Flag
That animated gif is gross. It almost needs one of those buzz feed click to play loading screens. :)

RIP Doreen.

Sarah you're next.
Flag
And initially I thought there was some sexual tension going on between Balleseros and Doreen. ..
Flag
I miss Doreen.
Flag
I kept wanting the head of Dr. Hvit to be like one of the heads in a jar from 'Futurama' and just start having conversations with people. This is setting up kind of cool, still better than 'Defiance'. Its way more interesting than 'The Walking Dead' has ever been. In 'Walking Dead' there are too many places to run - the isolation of this landscape is one of its most compelling parts. The infected are a hell of a lot scarier here as well.

Flag
BUT ABOVE ALL:
-I don’t want to know the Way to San Jose.(Thanks Syfy now it would stick in my head as worst elevator tune ever)

Flag
I’ve been reading your thoughts and reviews expecting the worst , but then I gave it a shot( 5 episodes).
-I expected medical inaccuracies in tv series but this is between pathetic and outrageous.(most of the gibberish is either wrong or laughable.)
-What kind of scientist were if they didn’t know something basic like the historic fact narrated by Alan?(ep1)
-Cholera is not airborne so unless they thought of licking the content of the bottle they were safe.(ep1)
-The military guy said he spend years after his round in Irak in SouthAm fighting Cartels?!(Isn’t that a black op to talk about in that informal manner?)
-Releasing Halothane in the vent, how they know if they reach appropriate concentration ,taking into account the money that cost and the availability.(If they can contain it otherwise they would anesthetise randomly in that floor?!!! )Why the base were designed to realize gas into the ducts?(ep 1or 2)
-Abdominal Surgery in a hallway, that’s a case for Dr NICK RIVIERA!(ep3)
-Screaming frozen monkeys (on fire)!(ep5)
Flag
I really, really like the hairless, creepy, mousey-out-mouthy-crawley thingie, but it's still not enough of a hook to draw me back in. Call me back when the writing & acting actually improve
Flag
when? I think you mean "if"
;-)
the mouse was the best part of the episode!
Flag
This show is a crazy mess but I don't think I can quit it because it's not boring yet. I feel like Helix is Under The Dome v2.
Flag
So much stupid, so little time. Most of you have covered it quite well already so I won't labor those points. Some thoughts;
-There is no science, protocol or logical behavior in this show. Stop waiting for it because they threw that towel in a long time ago.
-Kill Sarah- she is useless.
-The monkeys froze when they ran outside. The virus was not killed, the heat woke it up , thus the screaming and movement.
-What, they couldn't build a walk-in freezer so they had to store the head outside? Dur.
-The heads- this whole thing started as human cloning experiment.
-Julia is the result of cloning and may have accelerated growth. Why does she fear the vectors if she is already infected unless she is able to transform the virus and not die from it. She was groomed to carry it.
-Balleseros may make it back to the station because in this show, no one seems to die from exposure in minus 60 degrees temps. And he's evil but hot.
-Hatake stabbed himself so it would look like he had to defend himself, thus justifying the shootings last week to Julia and get closer to her.
-Daniel- don't care.
-Farragut may finally be growing a spine. Man up and lead dude. And please smack some truth out of her.
Farragut and Sarah- no.
Who knows, this show is a mess but I still want to know how it ends.

More+
Flag
Balleseros is supposed to be some sort of black ops guy? He kills Doreen (and how many others already? I've lost count.) but can't finish off the security guy and Farragut outside of the compound? Yeah, right.
Flag
"Kill Sarah- she is useless."

She's actually much worse than useless. I mean just off the top of my head A) she came up with a test for the virus that didn't work, yet they made major decisions based on that test, B) she didn't even bother testing herself before administering the test, C) she is harboring an infected person outside of the quarantine area, and D) she is shooting up heroin while trying to work on this stuff! And probably other stuff I'm forgetting. That is much worse than useless.
Flag
Agree HiRez, let's off her. She is a danger to everyone at the facility.
Flag
Balleseros […] he's evil but hot.

#this

Flag
This episode gave me more blank pieces to the puzzle I presume it will be more and more clear after a while. But to be honest, it is kind of driving under a heavy rain or snow where I can not see very well the way ahead, but it is kind of exciting and frightening, both at the same time. Still, after a while it does gets boring and I want to get to my destination. I don´t know how many more episodes I can watch without having any idea of what is going on in here. Nor Lost, Fringe, or even X-files gave me this degree of uncertainty. Helix seems like a show I want to stay and keep watching, but I don´t know what I am watching. That is not a good sign.
Flag
What I find odd... is didn't Farragut say that each of their members get complete physicals before going out? And that's why Boyle couldn't have had a heart attack?

But what... the physical guys missed Sarah having advanced cancer with either a giant growth or scar on her back? Or that she was taking cancer meds and/or pain killers?
Flag
Stop trying to make sense of anything! It's supposed to be all bananas. Just sit back and enjoy the ridiculousness.
Flag
don't even try to count the plot holes! Come on, she takes Gabapentin for her tremor or with these writers she is likely taking it for her tumor...lol. FYI: it also sucks as an anti-epileptic and is mainly used to treat neuropathic pain (but rarely, almost never, for migraine prevention). I don't think they have a science or medical consultant for the writers.
Flag
I'm not even sure any of the writers took any high school science classes. If you worry about the medical accuracy in this show, you will go mad. It's become a guilty pleasure (frustration) of crazy. I'm just riding the crazy train to find out what more lunacy they can strap on.
Flag
This show is an excerise in inconsistency. Everything about the Sarah character is annoying and illogical.
Flag
- How do you make a cat go "woof"?
- Cover it with gasoline and light a match.

- How do you make a dog go "meow"?
- Deep-freeze it and cut it with a circular saw.

I suspect monkeys screaming is the result of a combination of these two; freezing them and setting them ablaze. Or maybe it was the virus that made the sound.
Flag
You have a disturbing imagination. You should write for the show.
Flag
By stabbing himself, he was able to get closer to Julia and whatever weird bond he thinks he has with her. - I AGREE

Why did those frozen monkeys scream when Balleseros lit them on fire? Were they in suspended animation and thawed by the fire just enough to realize they were on fire? Sure! - THATS WHAT I THOUGHT
Flag
He is her Father just a thought
Flag
IF he is her father it is seriously miscast
Flag
I know right? They look like they could have been to college together, lol... he looks at the most 10 years older than her, and that is being generous.
Flag
This was a decent episode. The thing I hated most, aside from general stupidity in the characters which many have already pointed out, were a couple of poor act breaks. I almost never really notice that kinda thing, but this episode threw it in my face how bad the act breaks were.

- Sarah gets attacked by sick woman and seemingly can't hold her off
(OH NO!)
COMMERCIAL
- Sick woman easily gets pushed to wall and everything goes back to normal
(Oh... okay)

- Farragut gets beaten up, his cable is cut, and he drifts away from safety line
(OH NO!)
COMMERCIAL
- Farragut wakes up pretty close to the safety line and walks right back in to the lab
(Oh... okay)

Meh. I know many shows do it, but it sucks if it's easily noticeable (which these were for me).
Flag
That pretty much describes every commercial break for the entire series run of 24.
Flag
Obviously Farragut is Walter White, I mean, Heisenberg...lol:-)
Flag
At least your recap of OH NO and OH OKAY is entertain.
the show not so much ,it's like patience testing torture.
Flag
Interesting....I watch a commercial-free version so I don't have this problem ;)
Flag
I watch a commercial free version too, but you can clearly tell where the act break is -- there's usually a half-second of black screen. So even without the commercial, it still sucks. It's not the commercial that's bothersome, it's the fact that the writers and director decide to do such obvious fake drama for commercial breaks.
Flag
The continued stupidity of the characters on this show is astounding. Sarah almost getting her face chewed off by the infected doctor she has been stashing in her room and continuing to lie about her tumor which I never understood in the first place, Alan deciding to go to the white room when he knows the military guy is out there the same guy who just murdered Doreen! The only interesting part was Julia and Hitake but the whole hallucination reveal was pretty obvious. This show is a complete mess and is nothing more than a bad 80's horror flick.
Flag
Enjoying this show, but find the 'big reveals' aren't revealing enough... Admittedly I watch whilst playing angry birds, but I do that with every show I watch. I miss a few key events and only pick them up in Tims reviews!
Flag
So I haven't watched Helix at all yet but having read a few of the comments, sounds like this is not really a great show? Would anyone recommend watching it after having seen 5 eps? SyFy calls it a 'hit' show but ratings have been meh (0.4) last two Fridays
Flag
I think this show is perfect for binge-watching so wait until the season is over. That way you won't be able to think too much about all the inconsistencies.
Flag
I enjoy it despite the stupidity. Yeah, that stuff bothers me but it's still entertaining. As another poster said, I'm finding it a lot more interesting than The Walking Dead (where the characters also constantly do stupid things), which just drags on for seasons at a time with nothing happening. Putting on Friday night is terrible, I don't know how they expect it to gain any kind of sizable audience in that slot. Which probably means it's very likely to be a "one and done" show no matter how interesting it gets.
Flag
I will issue this disclaimer: I am really into viral/medical horror so I'm somewhat bias.. They are not even remotely accurate in their medical terms or situations seen here.. so if ur a stickler for that kinda stuff you'll be disappointed. If you can sit back and just enjoy a show for what it is and purely for its entertainment value, you may find something here.. I enjoyed the first 3 eps, the 4th kinda dragged, but like Tim stated, this 5th episode seems to indicate greater things to come on this show. These first few episodes have had their DUH moments and some very cheesy dialogue but this is syfy were talking about. I'm sticking with it though because I think its gonna become one syfy's best shows. Most shows need a lil while to gain their footing, and that seems to be whats gone on here. I think ppl who have stopped watching after the first few eps are really gunna miss out later on.
Flag
It's like a car wreck. I have to look. I am there every Friday. So mission accomplished SyFy. But Good Dog, the complete lack of professionalism from the so called BEST the CDC has... I mean other than lying about data, hiding infected folks, hiding being infected...are there any protocols in containment of a LETHAL CONTAGION they haven't violated? I really hate lazy writing.
Flag
not fair! I get stalked and trolled for saying anything remotely negative about the show....lol, lucky you:-)
FYI: I agree 100% with your comment and I wish you wrote this review;-)
Flag
If they do it again give me a shout and I'll come and defend you! Stupid people annoy me!
Flag
LOL really? People defend these points? Even fans of it acknowledge these characters are some dumb M@#$%rfu#$%rs
Flag
Thanks for that! I am not bothered by technical inaccuracies (that I def couldn't catch anyway) but glaring bad writing, weak plots, paper thin characterisation or inconsistent behaviours do irk me like say in the last season of Dexter... So will add to the possible....
Flag
All the characters do stupid things that make you want them to die...seriously, they are idiots and not well fleshed out characters. Wait until the season is over and then check the "favorites" of those people who dislike the show and those who like the show to see which meshes up the most with your tastes. I'm actually trying to like this show (stuck with it this long...longer then most who didn't like it) and I still am disappointed.

go with TrevPlatt's suggestion
Flag
Thanks for that... Wait and see (or not see) it is...
Flag
The characters aren't exactly fully fleshed out and a few cliches have been thrown in, but the biggest problem is that none of them have any common sense, given a few possible choices they almost invariably choose the dumbest. It's actually as if the writers themselves can't even see the smarter options.

If you find that you usually have a light schedule during the summer then I strongly advise you to hold off and wait to see how it pans out. The ratings are not good, it's no where near being the "hit" that Syfy claims, and if they keep dropping then the show might only have two options, cancelled on a cliffhanger or allowed to wrap up, if it's the latter (or it actually gets a second season) then by all means catch up with it during the summer, but if it is cancelled before the end or it ends on a cliffhanger then I'd give it a wide birth.
Flag
Next week, Hataki will have a handle bar mustache. He will twist it and go "MUhaHAHAHAHAAHA" Sorry. SPOILER!!!!
Flag
@ludoTV I actually prefer Intelligence to SHIELD and Intelligence isn't that good. It a shame because I was really looking forward to both of these shows. So much wasted potential.
Flag
@TrevPlatt - I watched the first 2 /3 eps of SHIELD and whilst the premiere was fun and promising it quickly went downhill for me... I find it a very 'Disney-fied' action show (perhaps to be expected airing at 8pm on ABC...) with mostly terrible writing, mediocre acting and very cliche underdeveloped characters though it may have improved later...
I may add Intelligence to the summer list but it has such bad ratings that I expect few eps by the time the show is cancelled
Flag
@ludoTV, Good idea with Almost Human too, but I've already started it now... we could probably add Agents of SHIELD to this list too!
Flag
Thank you! Definitely more time in summer so yep, maybe then joining Almost Human which I'm also waitandseeing ...
Flag
If I wasnt bald I would be pulling the hairs out of my head. This show is illogical unreasonable and downright unbelievable. The charaters act in laughable ways for people that should be among the most brilliant among us. Forgive me Tim I think you like this because you have no background in science or you'll understand this is horse-poo.
Flag
30 comments and 7 of them are spam. Sure gets tiresome weeding through that crap. Was hoping I'd never have to see that rat coming out of Doreen's mouth again....should have known better!
Flag
Better episode, but still it is like watching remedial biology students be in the CDC.

It was nice to see Alan actually doing some work. Perhaps had he done that from the start and would have been objective Doreen wouldn't have been killed (though she deserved it) Walker wouldn't be down in the dungeon and Sarah wouldn't be a smack head. Way to go Alan. Bang up team you brought.

As for your initial questions.

The monkey's weren't dead. They were merely just frozen. This virus seems to protect the host, perhaps from death but you can't fight biology and the biological functions can stop from freezing however once the fire warmed them up they became alive again and then were burned.

Hitaki isn't a Zombie, he is the original host. Whatever this virus is it had to come from something and or someone, likely it is Hitaki. It is why he isn't bleeding much from the wound and it is also why originally accosted by one of the infected. Which could also be a reason why he stabbed himself. Perhaps the infected will only attack something that it thinks is weaker than itself. And he needed some time with Walker.

Not a ghost, but a hallucination. Walker is infected but she is the host that Hitaki desired so the virus isn't going to affect her like it does everyone else. But it would still likely create symptoms and one of those could be a fever. High fevers can cause hallucinations.

The rat thing was awesome.

But the whole thing is still ridiculous and only seems to have occurred because the characters are unbelievably dumb. Also note to the writers. If someone has a device that uses satellites and sends encrypted messages in order to secure communication with another party. A. Those type of things don't keep records. B. Those types of things are passcode protected and likely would be kept on one's person instead of in a drawer. And when the hell did he have time to unpack. He has been the busiest of all of them.

But aside from all of that it is still watchable.
More+
Flag
I don't think Hitaki is the original host, otherwise why would they have been experimenting with the Narvik A and B viruses? I'm going with Hitaki being an alien or science experiment gone wrong or something....he can no doubt control the virus, but if he wanted to spread a virus that he carried that would be pretty easy right? Also, he would be more of a guinea pig, not so much a leader, if his main role was original host.
Flag
He could be an end result and something that he is trying to mimic.
Flag
1. Jay turned out to be Fight Club style hallucination. Shame cause I was starting to like her. Also poor Julia is getting sicker with every episode.

2. I loved the scene in which a rat walked out of Doreen's mouth. Perfect!

3. So Alan's brother is waking up. Is he an alien now?

4. I hope Balleseros freezes to death.

5. Sarah is still alive :(

6. Why Dr. Hvit's head is so important that folks are killing each other for it?

7. How long till Jerry Ryan shows up?
Flag
Jeri Ryan is scheduled to show up the week after next (in the episode "Survivor Zero", airing on Valentine's Day). But then she has at least the next 2 episodes off, and is scheduled for only one other episode (called "Ultra") that is not even in TV.com's episode list yet. She plays a character called Constance Sutton. There are no other Suttons in the cast, so she's probably not a relative/spouse of anyone, and she's not a doctor.
Flag
6. Maybe they want to re-animate the Futurama head in Prometheus-style and we can have an awesome head exploding scene!

7. I didn't realize Jeri Ryan was going to be in Helix. I wonder if this means the station will no longer be isolated and new characters are set to arrive on the transport.
Flag
6. That would be fantastic!

7. She was in the promo at the end of pilot. I expect she's one of Hatake's employers (so she's probably an alien)
Flag
Best episode...but that says nothing. The show is dreadful - but only because how flat out DUMB these characters are. I won't waste bandwidth. But one point, at the beginning, which ruined the rest of the episode for me:

There was no reason to shoot those guys last week, but putting that aside, Hatake did - and he needed to fake an attack to claim self defense. So a bad cut? No. Broken hand? No. Even a bullet in his butt or leg? No. HE FUCKING IMPALES HIMSELF!! Shock for shock's sake, with ZERO reasons for it ...just add this to the Idiot List.

The rat crawling out of Poreen's mouth was pretty "Holy Shit!" And it had a reason. That was cool.
Flag
Dude he is a samurai! That was a Seppuku. (j/k)
Flag
LOL!!! If only that could explain why a knife to his thigh wouldn't have covered it. WHAT A GUY!!!!

If it winds up he knew nothing could kill him and the pain was incidental - and it was a ploy to get Jules to trust in him... I will take it all back. but I don't believe this show is that smart.
Flag
aren't they all on the idiot list?
:-)
Flag
goTs 2 git dem alls on dat list, hun! (that sounded like Doreen!)
Flag
I don't understand why Julia is running away from the vectors or why they're chasing her if she's already infected. They're not zombies; they're not trying to eat her. They're vectors trying to spread the infection, and she already has it. Does anyone get this?
Flag
Well, she doesn't know exactly what their "motivation" is. Maybe the disease just turns them into brainless rampaging zombies who hunger for flesh, who knows? Would you make that assumption if you were in her place? I know I wouldn't.
Flag
characters and writers haven't shown themselves to be that bright...who knows...and that is just one of many plot holes. Most people who dislike this show have already quit the show but I'm holding out in hopes of some bad ass mutants or aliens to kill everyone (the characters are too stupid, based on their actions, to live)
Flag
ALIENS! Let's just hope they juice it up with as much trash as possible.
Flag
I think this episode may have been the last straw for me. I fell for this crap when Lost was on, it won't be happening again. The writers clearly haven't a clue and are throwing stuff out there, but it is just so retarded that this show has lost all of its original appeal.

Some of the choices made by the characters also had me shouting at my tv!

Bah, never mind...
Flag
A lot of mixed opinions of this show, but I have to side with the camp who actually likes it. It's an entertaining mystery with enough creepy and good acting to keep me around for a while.
Flag
I was just thinking how much I miss idiocy of the The River... Well, guess someone up there heard me.
Flag
It is more starting to look like Revolution season 1 to me.
Flag
Aww what? the River was awesome. I mean it was a complete train wreck, but I loved every ridiculous second of it.
Flag
Exactly. It was beyond stupid, but we all loved it. Well, Tim's commentary also helped :D
Flag
Oh c'mon this is better then the river... And the river did have a few interesting ideas I thought, just poorly executed.. but yes a lot of it was downright laughable..
Flag
– Hallucination or not, why would Jay throw the group's only source of light toward something that was making scary sounds

The light was weak and dropped off quickly. They could only see a few feet in front of them. So she threw it to see farther.

Had it just been a cluster of rats, then no big deal... they just walk the 15 feet and pick it up. It's probably better to know if there's a zombie 15ft in front of you instead of 3ft.
Flag
I imagine Hatake stabbed himself to make it more likely that Julia would help him. So she would actively help him and stay with him to get wherever they're (really) going.

Though I wonder how much damage the stabbing really did. Perhaps as bad as it looked, for his weird body it was just superficial.
Flag
This show is like the ever complaining mobster who thought they were out and then, what'd you know; we've got another episode for you, you can't refuse.
Flag
I thought this was a fantastic episode, easily the best so far.My thoughts:

1. Okay so we know Balleseros is a bad guy but that doesn't stop me from being sad he's dead. Prick or not he was actually one of the show's stronger characters. I knew he was a problem that was going to be needed to be solved but I was hoping that wouldn't be quite yet...plus now that he's gone no more eye candy

2. Sarah...please just kill her off. As much as this show is now running short on lead characters and so this makes me think it wont be getting a renewal I still want her gone..find a way to bring back balleseros and peter.

3. Julia continues to be my favorite character on this show(yes even over eye candy). The woman playing her just plays her so well. I'll state again how I hope they find a way to save her because the show needs her. If it loses her too then I have trouble watching

4. it was nice to see characters acting as you would in this situation and putting everything together. It was hatake's son who initially caught on to balleseros

5. Julia's hallucination was either a ghost or her self conscience, either way Julia is aware hatake is a liar and that daughter story was bullshit so I wonder where she goes from there before she passes out

6. why the hell did hatake stab himself?
More+
Flag
"Okay so we know Balleseros is a bad guy but that doesn't stop me from being sad he's dead."

Do we actually know Balleseros is dead? Unless I'm forgetting something, they just left him lying outside with his jacket removed (which was conveniently left right next to him). In my opinion, there is almost zero chance he is dead, he is almost certainly coming back...with a vengeance.
Flag
I so hope your right. He's my favorite character and I was really bummed thinking he was dead.
Flag
Well he was stabbed and then left there to bleed out in the arctic with no jacket or anything to keep him warm. We do see someone in the preview for the next episode dragging his body away. Cant imagine anyone that's on base now having a reason to keep him alive
Flag
I believe Balls will be back, he's listed as included in most if not all the episodes of the season. Besides he's really the most compelling character on the show (other then Hatake.) I could be mistaken however..
Flag
I hope im wrong. He is one of my favorite characters
Flag
The other thing I forgot to mention is..whats with the monkeys? are they somehow alive again?
Flag
Well, near as I can figure, the monkeys were never actually dead. They froze when they tried to escape. It's really freaky that the virus kept them alive even after being frozen solid for god only knows how long...at least a week.. Because they were vectors, when they got lit up they thawed and started screaming before they burned to death.. This leads me to believe that unless the infected are dealt with in the right way all of them might be reanimated or kept alive by the virus. I bet that doctor in Sarah's room who was given the morphine overdose will be back..
Flag
Yeah. The natural assumption is that they were dead but if the virus kept them alive out there, kept them from freezing to death ...wow.
Flag
6. Hatake stabbed himself to ensure that Julia would trust him and stay with him in her virus-induced hallucinatory state...knowing that as a doctor, she would prbly want to help him and not immediately question his motives. If he'd just turned up down there totally fine, alone, she would have questioned the whole thing a lot more. I believe he's leading her somewhere specific for a reason.
Flag
That was also my answer for Hatake stabbing himself. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Flag
Please remove "Lost" writers from this show, they are killing it. Many things happen by chance, and the actions that take the characters are stupid. Also, I wonder what the characters talk about when they are eating lasagnas at the canteen. They eat, right ?
Flag
I don't think Julia is Hatake's daughter... but I can see why some people have said that (just because of his interest in her) but the age thing is kinda close.. being that Hatake is probably about age 45-50, and Julia no younger than 33 for me. I think its more interesting to have him interested in her for other reasons.
Flag
Son't know if Hatake is actually the father, but there is certainly some connection with her father. In one of the earlier episodes he asks her "And what about your father?" and before she can answer there is a convenient interruption.
Flag
Yeah I think that's a red herring too, the whole Hatake-Julia being father and daughter. I do think they have a history that Julia doesn't remember tho..
Flag
I don´t really want to bother anybody, but if you are not satisfied with this show, then I strongly (very) recommend BANSHEE
Flag
As much as I love Bansheee (and I do, I really do). I think for the most part that's a different audience. People watching Helix, were hoping for a smart, science themed thriller slash/horror. Banshee is a carnival of sex, violence and moral judgement.

Plus I'm wary of recommending anything on Cinemax to people without explicitly mentioning it's on Cinemax.
Flag
nope! Most of us have eclectic tastes and don't like to be pigeon holed.
I love Banshee and guess what--I also watch shows like Nova, Fringe (miss it), AHS, and so much more. So you think you are the only one who watches Banshee and Helix? Sorry but you are wrong about that.

Our hopes were not met with Helix. It is not a smart (lol), science (lol, I'm offended as a scientist) themed thriller (not thrilled) /horror (not horrified except with the stupidity of the characters and major plot holes)
Flag
I think you've misconstrued my comment. I'm not saying that people don't have eclectic taste. Lots of people watch shows from all different genres. My self included. But I'm sure the crossover between the 2 shows (Banshee/Helix) is smaller than you might think.

I'm not trying to pigeon hole anyone, I'm just saying that when you go to a restaurant and feel like steak, you're usually not going to go with fish. Of course YMMV.

Flag
Maybe it is due to the limited number of commenters now on this site but a lot of the people commenting here also watch Banshee. Regarding cross over, I can't think of any current medical thriller/horror currently on air. The closest is TWD which is nothing like this show. I think if anyone is watching this show for "thrill" then it may crossover to action and hence the tie in for Banshee (both have action/thrill/violence).

I can't think of a current science thriller or any good current sci fi. If you know of any good sci fi thrillers that aren't cancelled then please let me know. Defiance, Falling Skies, and Under the Dome didn't do it for me. I love Orphan Black and that seems like the only current sci fi show that I like (but it's nothing like this). I'm still watching Helix---I'm that desperate for a sci fi thriller--but I am not impressed so far (mainly because of how the characters act, the inconstancies and obvious lack of a medical/science advisor). Maybe smart movies like The Thing and Aliens caused me to have higher expectations for this show.

I understand what you mean about cross over but help out and give suggestions. I realize most people already quit this show but for the rest of us who are still giving it a chance, it would be nice to learn about alternatives where it is done correctly.
More +
Flag
Nice, learned a new English word: 'eclectic'.
Flag
I love Banshee and would have loved Helix if the series would have taken itself serious in how to deal with the problems. In Banshee we know why Hood is doing what he does outside of the rules, but in Helix they all act is if there are no rules for dealing with a situation like and there is no explanation why they act like this. Of course the major has a background story that obvious;ly is part of the main story and we we will get to know it, but f.i. Doreen's we will not. Why was she acting like she did? There is a lot more to be desired........ But I will keep watching for the sci-fi part and because it is only still 5 episodes. I do not hope it will be renewed like UtD and we will not find out what is happening.
Flag
I am the number one fan of DEXTER and FRINGE. Two very different shows. I am sure others feel the same way.
Flag
Banshee = awesome

Helix = retarded scientists and lame attempt at "horror"; still waiting for aliens since this is supposed to be sci fi and the tech isn't sci fi enough for me to categorize the show as sci fi. Characters still acting stupid and I'm just watching to see if aliens show up or reveal themselves (or freaky mutants) and if not then to hopefully watch all these idiots die.

BANSHEE;-)
Flag
Haha, I'm not sure why, but this comment made me laugh. Sure, go Banshee!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members