A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Helix S01E07: "Survivor Zero"

There's a fine line between good television and bad television, and Helix is currently lying on that line, motionless and limp like a fat cat in a sunbeam, refusing to budge either way. But after an opening like this week's—where Dr. Hatake, under orders from his new hardass boss, was forced to sternly say, "No one gets out alive," and the line was accompanied by the musical equivalent of a gasp, and then there was a hard cut to Helix's fantastic and fun bossa nova opening theme—I'm inclined to nudge Helix toward the good side of things. I love what this show is doing with tone and viewer expectations, which is that it's sabotaging whatever sense of tone and expectations we might have to somehow create its own unique tone and upend our expectations. Make sense? Helix is trying to force us to expect the unexpected, and I'm eating it up.

The whole show is one great experiment in trolling the audience through atypical television-making decisions. When Jeri Ryan's Constance Sutton first spoke to Alan, there was a subtle musical cue that sounded like a reprise of Helix's theme song, and I was fully expecting the opening sequence to kick in. But nope, it never came; those quiet drums and that low humming organ were just there to tease us. Was there a reason to use that music at that moment? No, not at all. But Helix threw it in there to keep us on our toes and off balance. The show is low-bridging us, telling us our shoes are untied and then yelling "Gotcher nose!" And did you notice the odd establishing shots sprinkled throughout the episode? Like this one:

A few scenes later, the editors used a similar establishing shot for the basement that started out of focus and then transitioned back to the action. There's no real precedent for this style, so why is Helix using it? Who knows! And when Helix wants to throw to commercial, have you noticed the way it always cuts off a beat early? Re-watch the scene where Julia was hiding from the redheaded vector and you'll see what I mean. It's all part of the game. When I spoke to Helix showrunner Steven Maeda earlier this week, he told me that he's purposely experimenting with different stylish techniques—jump cuts, music that doesn't quite fit the scene, unusual editing–to keep us feeling unsettled while we watch. And it's exactly that feeling that I'm looking for every time I sit down to watch an episode. Plot? That's secondary to me now. I'm more excited to see how Helix puts itself together each week, and I have no problem taking the bait. The series is purposely trying to capture an amateur filmmaking style to heighten its sense of unpredictability, and I love it.

But I suppose we should spend a least some time discussing the plot, eh? Jeri Ryan! I never Trekked, so her guest casting isn't as exciting for me as it may be for you, but I love the addition of Constance Sutton as corporate middle manager descending on Arctic Biosystems to look over everyone's shoulders. She's a psychopath without a doubt, and her directness provides a sharp contrast to Hatake's extreme caginess. She also brought with her a good opportunity to kick the plot forward without diluting the other characters because she demands answers, dammit! 

And let's not forget that she's got those silver eyes, too, just like Julia and Hatake. The silver eyes must have something to do with a cure or an immunity to the virus, right? Is Julia THE cure, like Peter suggested? When Julia flashed her eyes at the vector, that thing looked like it'd just seen a ghost and skeedaddled away, whimpering. Is that the bad version of the virus's way of reacting to the cure? Here's an interesting thought: Is Helix treating these people like they're a macro version of what happens on a microscopic level between viruses and cells? Is Julia the human equivalent of a white blood cell, and the vectors walking viruses? You know how stoners sit around and say, "What if we're all, like, little parts of a much bigger being, you know? Like the Earth is just the cell in a huge entity" and other metaphysical babble? Maybe THAT's what's going on here. Or, you know, maybe I need to go back on my medication. 

Anyway, back to the virus. We know from a few episodes ago that Hatake has some crazy regeneration/healing abilities, so let's add Julia's scare-the-vector-with-an-eye-flash trick to the list of things that people who accept the virus "well" and experience whatever the subsequent transformation is can do. We also saw Constance GRINDING DOWN HER TEETH with an electric sander, which is probably because her chompers are growing, so throw in some extreme dental health along with everything else the virus provides its healthy hosts. Is bone growth a side effect of the virus, or part of it? 

Of course, everything I just said assumes that Hatake, Constance, and Julia were infected in the same way. Maybe they all have different pieces of gene therapy from different trials. I don't know! It's fun to theorize about what's going on, but I'm not sure we have enough information at the moment to be right about anything, so let's all be wrong together.

One thing that appears to finally be coming together is all the lovey-dovey stuff that felt forced in the pilot. It's certainly not great yet, and it's dwarfed by everything else that Helix is doing, but it's at least enough to elicit a few wolf whistles and snaps. Now that Alan and Sarah have done the deed, as we saw in that unsexy sex scene last week, Sarah can get on board the Jealousy Express because Julia's back and she saw Alan and Julia hugging. And Hallucination Peter asked Julia why she was hallucinating him instead of Alan, which is a darned good question. (Although, is it? Didn't she essentially leave Alan for Peter?) Helix is beginning to actually use all the personal baggage these CDC scientists brought with them, and I'll allow it for now, even though I used to think it was the weakest part of the show. 

And just to further soap things up, "Survivor Zero" revealed that Constance and Balleseros are at least lovers, if not more. Small world, I guess! 

This week's big send-off—and this show really knows how to hang us off a cliff—was a breach of the safe levels by a trio of vectors, who I guess were riding on the top of the elevator? And their escape went down to the tune of "You Give Me Fever," in another cheeky, well-done scene that left me wanting more of this bizarre show. If these stowaway vectors cause as much havoc up top as we saw in the excellent vector action sequence that took place in the basement this week, things should start to get very fun very soon.

"Survivor Zero" kept Helix's within the realm of "interesting enough to continue watching," but what I really find fascinating is the way the show is holding steady. The plot didn't move forward that much this week, and we didn't get any big answers, but there's an all-in feeling to Helix's erratic presentation, and it hit another high in this episode. There are currently enough distractions in play to keep me from getting frustrated, and with only six episodes left in the season, I'm pretty sure we'll see the story catch up to the presentation soon enough. 

LAB NOTES

– That scene where Constance's army guys got attacked by vectors was fantastic. Very 28 Days Later

– After a slow start, Daniel is quickly becoming my favorite character. I loved the way he stood up to Constance, and how he deflected Anana's insistence that she's his sister. When she showed him the picture of them as kids, he shot back, "Impressive, but I can use Photoshop, too." Hahahahaha, haha, hahaha! Go Daniel, you giant stern bear. He may not be the most emotional oaf, but you have to sympathize with him as the big victim here.

– Why do I love every single line of dialogue that Hatake utters? "I'm sorry you had a rough journey" had me cracking up and I don't know why. 

– Oh geez, I just realized that I once said this could be the best show Syfy has put out since Battlestar Galactica. I forgot about Alphas. So let's try that again, Helix is the best show Syfy has put out since Alphas. Okay, phew. 

– More fuel for the "Hatake is Julia's dad" theory: He was crying when he was bandaging her up after he saw that she had the silver eyes. He seemed to be more emotionally invested in her than he would be if she was just his lab rat. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

153 Comments
Comments (153)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
What bugs me is they keep saying "heetahkee" and not "hahtahkeh." How ate they all botching the character's name so badly?!
Flag
OMG! What lock down protocol immobilizes the elevator but leaves its door open?!!! :O More importantly, from where did the infected come? Level A?
Flag
I just find this show more and more awesome! Every episode goes in one direction. Then next episode takes the show elsewhere. Can't wait to see how this resolves.
Flag
Hatake seemed very very sad, not happy that Julia was "cured"
Flag
i think it gets better every week...except the military dude... i liked him at first, but he is just a bad actor.
Flag
I love all the calm music when something big is about to happen. I feel that it is very creative and different. and that's what this show needs. something to make it stand out from the other sifi-thrillers

Flag
so did sarah's tumor heal? and what happen to allens brother! I felt like these plots were either dropped or they will start them up next episode. thats the one thing i hate about this show
Flag
Hatake flashed his silver eyes at zom errrrr vector in earlier episode and he backed away as well. So I think silver eyes are a symptom of "next step", that is effect of absorbing whatever they are working on and having your DNA changed. While vectors are people where absorbtion failed and had their DNA scrambled instead of boosted.

Which is why I think "outbreak" was deliberate thing by Hatake to test delivery and absorbtion means. While he and Constance absorbed "virus" under clinical conditions so it wouldn't fail, base was exposed to it to see how it reacts under less clinical but still manegable conditions.

Flag
1. Anyone else noticed the ad on the side that says "Do your contact lenses make you feel like you're dying?" So weirdly relevant to this episode that I couldn't stop laughing.

2. I really am loving the visual and editing style of this show, though it reminds a lot of American Horror Story in terms of the use of strange (and sometimes nausea-inducing) focus and angles and jump-cuts to imply scenes have a more disconcerting and menacing sub-text than they might otherwise have.

3. The theme of blindness/physical change in vision as symbolic of a character shifting towards or more profound understanding of the world and their situation is coming up a lot in TV lately. It's an interesting trend.
Flag
I forgot Tim liked Alphas. Heh...

I don't love this show, but I give it a "Pretty Watchable," snugly between "Ehh, Watchable" and "Totally Watchable." I judge by the expression I feel on my face while watching, and I'm hardly ever annoyed. The show goes along, and I find myself nodding along. No one here really annoys me, and that's much more important to me than being excited. Horror doesn't always have to pair with Stupid. That's my theory, anyway.

I think the silver eyes aren't exactly part of the cure, but part of the corporate inoculation, the stuff the important people get. Hatake and Sutton already said that the originally intended all-cure would contain something that the corporation (silver-eyed) could control the cured, so once they create the all-cure, Ilaria Corp. and other very rich people can use their silver eyes to control the world. Kinda like Dexter in that movie Gamer.

I think Julia is the first person to get infected by Strain B and be cured by it, thus becoming the only person to recover from the cure and the side effects. I doubt that the silver eyes are intended to be in the final cure, but I do believe that Hatake wanted Julia to have them, as the friends and family package. I don't think she's his kid; I think his kid died, as he said, but Julia was there as a kid while Hatake was grieving, so he imprinted onto her, and he loves her like a daughter...even though he experimented on her. I think he gave her at least part of the inoculation when she was a child, and he gave her the rest after he found her recently and gave her the "sedative."

I also believe that Hatake purposefully matador'd not only Peter into Julia's path to infect her, but the strain B into Peter. Hatake was happy that Peter was infected (maybe not him, particularly, but someone), and he hoped-prayed that Julia would overcome the infection once Peter infected her.

Now that Julia has, I'm pretty sure that Sutton would have her killed, as the cure and the power of control isn't meant to be in someone who's not they, so Hatake's right to try and hide her from them. Not really likely to keep that up for long with the three vectors jumping up down from the elevator. Someone really should've brought some infrared scanners with them.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out, but I actually don't expect to be too disappointed.
More+
Flag
Quick side thought: Hatake just may have hired Peter in the first place because he knew of his relationship with Julia, and Hatake knew that if Peter had become infected, Peter both get Julia to return without Hatake raising suspicion, and Peter would infect Julia without killing her. Mebbe.
Flag
I agree. :)
Flag
I may be completely wrong, but my hunch is Hatake is at least 70+ years old and his scars are burns from the bombs at Hiroshima or Nagasaki...
Flag
Was this a joke? lol..

He said it was from trying to rescue his daughter and his wife from a burning house...which I wonder if Julia was the daughter...and he tracked her down..or whatever..
Flag
Yeah and he hasn't lied once in the show has he?
Flag
I'm still going with that he received his burns from whatever "event" separated him from Julia.
Flag
this was a darn good episode, the vectors attack on constance and her men were pretty cool. More of such stuffs please.

PS: They should yank out the love angle from the script...big bummer.
Flag
Missed the last three episodes -stupid life- and just mainlined them from my DVR... My attention started to drift during Day 5 (Sarah, you are NOT that interesting!) but Day 6 and 7 brought it right back! I have no idea what is going on with pretty much ANY storyline right now, and it's amazing. Like If Sutton is a benefactor for Arctic Biosystems, why send in Balleseros as a spy? She'd have access to all their data files and security footage anyway, so she'd know what they did to Hvit, right? ESPECIALLY if Hatake is reporting to her... unless Hatake is going turncoat and doing all this crap behind her back for his own agenda. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

And I don't think Hatake already has a cure, because whatever he injected Julia with looked more like blood mixed with other diluting and preserving chemicals than a serum. Maybe he thought a little of his blood would help fight the virus off, and he was crying because yeah, it kinda cured her -still hallucinating!- but now she's one of whatever Hatake is. But this Daniel-Anana-Hatake thing is the MOST confusing... You'd think this evil overlord company would provide the Biosystem with anything it needed, including test subjects, not expect it to go out and kidnap local children, and potentially turn the locals against them. "Hey, 30 years ago, all our kids started to go missing! And didn't that fancy-schmancy laboratory start operating 30 years ago?"

Unless Daniel is another one of these special people, or they particularly needed children who were born in this particular area for reasons... JEEZ, so many questions that need to be answered!

As for the off-kilter visuals and music? LOVING IT! That song over those three guys breaking into the upper levels was awesome.
More+
Flag
everytime the bossa nova comes on I wanna dance.. like ...

Do dooo doo... this is a freaky show...do dooo dooo... but I love it.. :)
Flag
I think Constance and Hatake have very different agendas, since he said he's not interested in a cure and has engineered two strains of the virus. Also, the satellite only transmits, what, once a day? so she wouldn't be able to keep tabs on him very well (plus he's obviously hiding information, like about Julia). I think the kidnapping children thing is only a part of whatever Hatake is trying to do in secret, so obviously he wouldn't be able to get them from Illaria.
Flag
From last week's review, I thought this will be good but it turns out to be a weaker episode.

Actually the music just irritate me more than anything else.
Flag
I think Julia is either Hatake's daughter, or she was among the kidnapped children and Katake has already done experiments on her. Though when Katake and Julia return to his office and they take her away to the lab Hatake says "Julia I'm …" and trails off. He was either going to say "I'm your father" or "I'm sorry." I'm leaning towards the latter because that seems like a really odd, not at all private, and out of place moment to confess this. But, this is Helix, so all by-the-book TV tropes are out the window. Julia's hallucinations are obviously pointing to the fact that she's been there before when she was younger, and that the "Montana" she visited wasn't really Montana.

On another note, if Hatake has what appears to be a cure, that he administered to Julia in his secret passageway lab, why is he insisting he doesn't have one? This was among the more interesting things in the episode for me. Is the "no one gets out alive" policy no scaring him since his maybe daughter is there too? Is he having second thoughts about the evil-doings Ilaria is up to? I don't know! And the answer will probably end up being something totally off the wall that I'll be content with because it's Helix and they can get away with it.
More+
Flag
I don't think whatever he had was a cure, because he said to Constance he's not interested in finding one. I think he's found a way to change people into whatever he is (silver eyes) while Constance wants something much different. I think his "cure" or whatever it was is specific to the message that is currently programmed into the virus, which is not the message Constance wants.
Flag
I think he isn't interested in finding a cure because he already has it..
Flag
Not to be -that- person, but the jump cuts, atypical music choices/sound editing, and eratic visual editing are all from the French New Wave school of cinema that arose in the late 1950s and the 1960s. It's not so much amateur as "auteur" theory, although limitations of budget drove some of the stylistic decisions made by these directors. The purpose of the style was to draw the viewer's attention to technique, to prevent the viewer from sinking into the narrative.
I agree with flintslady's comment (below) in that these "affectations" would be more interesting if they came with equally creative attempts to subvert the genre in terms of writing and plot.
BUt for those who are interested in French New Wave cinema, I would recommend starting with Goodard's Breathless (not the Richard Gere American version!) and Alphaville (sci-fi), as well as Chris Marker's short La Jetee, one of my all-time favorite films and the inspiration for 12 Monkeys.
Flag
Arctic Biosystems: if you hear upbeat music, run like the wind!
I think Julia looks pretty good with silver eyes. I find her particularly sexy.
Every character seems to have a hidden agenda, so whenever a character collects some piece of vital information, I have the feeling, they won't tell anybody and will use it for his or her own nefarious purpose.
Flag
They’re ruining all the bad elevator tunes!
Flag
Good review!
I have come to terms with the idea that I don´t know what I am watching, neither will I find out in future episodes. But I do understand one thing, as Tim kind of pointed out, and that HELIX is not about the story, but about an experimental film making show. I can live with that because I love photography, and Helix gives me plenty of that.
I also agree with Tim with Hatake´s lines. Hiroyuki Sanada just have the right timing, rhythm and voice loudness to make me want to hear more. I was sceptical when I first saw him in the first episode. He was not so strong in LOST, but now I like Hatake a lot.
In a way HELIX is all about experimenting with images and music. Does it sound crazy?
It may be a new way to add to all the good new type of shows on TV right now.
Flag
So are we witnessing a path breaking event?
I like to think so :)
Flag
A new way to make TV?
Flag
This show is great but why did they bury it in a suddenly very crowded Friday at 10pm. Its competing with the next GREAT one 'Banshee' (Ha Ha- already given a third season!), 'Real Time' (whose audience isn't going anywhere, ever 'cause its found a really good formula that works and its still Live and will still be around that studio when its space-sharer 'Dancing With the Stars' finally admits its title is an oxymoron and just stops), 'Blue Bloods' (the 'stache still has power!), and in two weeks add 'Hannibal' to that list. It'd probably do better at 9:00 or 10:00pm on another night.

I think this show is very good and hope it survives. Its so much better than 'Defiance'. I like the 'BSG' vet added to the cast. (She was Starbuck's pain in the ass young Viper pilot, who conned her way into the crew, that only made it as far as a picture on the Wall. Kat.) Luciana Carro was lucky enough to be killed off of 'crappy 'Falling Skies' and she's provided a great character in 'Anana' - the ONLY person who has been completely honest and whose mission isn't in the slightest bit nefarious. Why does our reviewer just disregard awesome female characters? - her purpose is as/more justified as Alan's is and she's not f'ing anybody. This lying, liar that lies was kidnapping children as part of his experiments. That is some shady sh1t going on. (I think Julia was a subject/victim he became too attached to.) Anana's is a great story to add This show and these characters and the scary as sh!t infected - the fact that they only have each other to depend on in this isolation and no one can trust anyone else and they all just lie, lie, lie, lie. And the perfect musical accompaniment(. This show is so much better than 'Walking Dead' is at present (which keeps insisting on giving someone that just cannot act more lines. Really when are the zombies going to just eat the crap out of the waste of time/space provided by Chandler Rigs? ) And Jerri Ryan back and awesome! This show is a keeper and is doing well keeping both the sci-fi and horror genre working together in something different. Billy Campbell doing the character he's been doing for a while, - powerful shady dude who outhits in the dating department. Keep it going!
More+
Flag
The grinding of the teeth. How f'd was that!
Flag
Has no one considered the possibility that Julia is not Hatake's daughter, but rather someone he was/is in love with? I mean, she's at least in her 30's and he's in his late 40's - early 50's, so he would have had to be awfully young when he fathered her! I would much prefer this story line; I think he's sexy.

I'm intrigued enough by the plot to keep watching; I need to find answers and solutions! And how does that embalmed scientist's head fit into the puzzle?

The theme music at the beginning reminds me a lot of Eureka, which was also a quirky sci-fi show.

And did anyone else notice Da'an (Leni Parker) as one of the infected zombies?
Flag
Wait what? Leni Parker.. which one..which one lol
Flag
Episodes 2 & 5. She's only on for a few seconds.
Flag
Ohhhh, Da'an! That's where she's from. Thanks for that. That (Earth: Final Conflict) was another fair show until the last season with that other race. Unfortunate, that.
Flag
its possible he is interested in her romantically..the photos he have of her do seem to speak more to that theory.Especially since in several of them she clearly has no idea that there's a camera around
Flag
I liked the episode, it did feel a little slow but it wasn't boring , it wasn't filler.

So now we know that whatever those grey eyes mean..belleseros, Julia, constance and hatake are all in the same boat. I have to wonder if Daniel is too..i guess if he was we would have seen that by now.
Im not really sure if hatake was crying because he was sad or if they were tears of joy with whatever he did having worked. He seems afraid that constance will kill Julia either way .The question is if and when constance finds out Julia has silver eyes how will she react?, will she still want to kill julia
so I guess its safe to assume everyone in that isolation on level R is either a vector or dead...wow it must have been a hell in there.
Im just interested in why the vectors are now scared of the silver eyes. Do they somehow know that Julia is cured? even if they could somehow tell it doesn't make sense that they would be afraid because hatake, constance or belleseors have yet to give us any proof that they can harm them in any way..in fact if hatake could reallky do anything then why wouldn't he have done anything to that one he came across on the way to rescuing Julia a few episodes ago

More+
Flag
Balleseros doesn't have silver eyes, does he?

Hatake didn't control the vectors when he and Julia were on the run because he didn't want to reveal himself to Julia. Also, he got them into that situation on purpose to get closer to her or experiment on her or something, so they were never in any real danger.
Flag
I wonder if Balleseros does.. I couldn't tell if he was just looking creepy..or had silver eyes..
Flag
no the moment I was speaking of was when hatake was on his way down that hall alone and he encountered that vector n the way to Julia. Its the first time that we saw the vectors are afraid of him and the silver eyes but we've yet to see why
Flag
1. Jeri Ryan - it's so great to see you again! Your character is fantastic villain. I know they will probably kill Constance - but I will cherish every second of her.

2. Julia is now an alien. Constance and Balleseros are aliens too - I love their grey eyes.

3. What I think is going on here - aliens are preparing to take over the world. They will infect humans with the virus and turn them into vectors (I think vector is some sort of human / alien hybrid) The aliens need the cure to save / recruit valuable individuals who will become their slaves. There is one problem though. Apparently Hatake doesn't want to take over the world anymore. He likes humans - I suspect his wife was a human - and she gave birth to a human daughter (Julia). Now Hatake has found a way to turn his human daughter into alien.

4. Hatake said his daughter had died - either he was lying or Julia had a twin sister.

5. This show is crazy - and I love it. I can't wait for the next episode :)

6. I encourage you all to check Tabletop's episode with Jeri Ryan

More+
Flag
3. I agree with you that they want to take over the world. However, they do not want to turn people into "aliens" (with silver eyes - I'm actually going for the idea that it makes them immortal) - that is unique to Hatake's agenda and the reason he created the secret second strain of Narvik.
Flag
Aliens who like like human but with silver eyes?? what is this Cylons of BSG II?
Flag
I like this ep and I like that Julia is at least semi-back. I can't make out if the Hatake tears as he was bandaging Julia's eyes was happy or sad, that guy is totally unpredictable to me. Love him.
Julia looks great in silver eyes though. I wonder if Alan liked them or not?
I've never been a big fan of Jeri Ryan (yes you can shoot me) but I kinda like her character in this. But please stop with the soapy soap - Constance and Balleseros. Ewww. Not as bad as Alan & Junior but still ewww. Please stop. There's a time for kissing and we're certainly not at that point right now. Every oral contact should stop from now on if it doesn't include black guey stuff.
That last scene was impeccable, the music, the slow-mo, that last guy being handsomely blackened making me understand women who write men in prison (did I mention you can shoot me)
Can't wait for the next episode and something that can give me a clue to what the hell is going on here, or there meaning the Artic of course.
Flag
Helix is becoming FUN! I still think comparisons to Fringe or BSG are ludicrous, because they are completely different, but I really like the fact that you have no idea what's going to come next. And I do indeed love the soundtrack. "You Give Me Fever" at the end of the episode with those three infected coming through the roof was brilliant, as is the opening theme song.
Flag
To me it looked like Hatake was trying to cure Julia, but instead of being healed she became 'one of them'. I wonder what the side-effects of the current "cure" are and why Hatake was crying when he realized Julia had silver eyes.
Also: good thing he had those contact lenses lying around...

On a side note: Hatake also scared off a vector before just by looking at it. So that's not really news.
And thank goodness they tuned down the "science" this week, it made the episode a whole lot more enjoyable. Though I always enjoy a good laugh!
Flag
Could be, but I think it more likely he was crying because he succeeded in what he wanted to do. His cure worked. But then, that's part of the fun of the show -- you just never know.
Flag
stopped watching after episode 3 - is it getting any better?
Flag
Thank you all for the explanations... indeed, it would have to improve A LOT for me to come back to it. I had great hopes for this show, but it was so disappointing.
Flag
It's maybe gotten better, but if so, probably not significantly enough if you disliked it enough to quit it.
Flag
no
Flag
It's crazy awesome!
Flag
so you like it? mmm... I have to take time to read your reviews of Bitten, though, that one we might have in common :)
Flag
I love it but I have no clue to what the hell is going on :/
Flag
This show is getting crazier by the episode, and I'm falling for the crazy. Now, while the idea that a person could ride a snowmobile in the arctic with exposed skin, or even sleeping in the open is beyond ludicrous, I ignored that for the getting Balleseros back in the game. And yes, that whole Constance/Balleseros foreplay scene was cliche, but since it's something I'd love to do to him myself, I just snickered and watched the show.

What I loved was the mystery changing tracks to a completely different destination. So Hatake might be the good guy?? Now that's an unexpected curve! And Daniel threw his father under the proverbial bus because of a girl he never met claimed to be his sister?! Whether its true or not wow, he can think for himself! Who knew? Hatake really miscalculated by not trusting Daniel with more of his plans!

It almost seemed that Hatake was grieving that Julia had silver eyes; I'm still not sure what's going on there. But I loved watching that vector skedaddle when she saw Julia with them. That's some seriously cool java going on! But I still don't understand the memory/vision of Julia as a kid and vector. That's what's confusing me about how she's responded this time. Was what she remembered last time wrong, or was it not really her?

The whole feel of the show is just such a crazy combination of sterility and infection that I'm off kilter, and I love it! The almost claustrophobic setting and and the increasing tension keeps bringing me back each week.
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
It's taking place in the ARCTIC, not Antarctica, so yes, there are plenty of native tribes there.
Flag
A lot of whining there... but you're still watching, which means is not as bad as you make it to be or, maybe you're as "ridiculous" as the characters of Helix!!
Flag
I can ragequit for not getting answers, but I love this show. Especially the cinematography and music. It's just so much fun watching this I can ignore every hole plotted!
Flag
I think the show is starting to find its groove in terms of pacing and storytelling. Like you said in the review, not a lot happened in terms of plot, but it still felt like the story was moving along. The triangle angle - still 'eh' on, but at least I didn't have to watch more awkward sex scenes. The one burning question, the thing that's really hooked me on the show, is the Hatake & Julia connection. I didn't know how to respond to his burst of emotion over her silver eyes. Was that not what the drug was supposed to do? I like that Hatake is being fleshed out, finally. I'm curious to see what his ultimate goal is (given that it wasn't developing a cure). Also, am I the only one who thinks Julia looked pretty cool with those silver eyes?
Flag
It just hit me. Last week Hatake said they were working on a cure for all cancers. That's basically saying he's working on immortality. So the people with the silver eyes might be immortal and they want something to cull the undesirables.
Flag
Just basically sayin, but curing cancer wouldn't make people immortal...it would just keep people from dying of cancer
Flag
If you want to cure all cancers you need to be able to make your cells/DNA copy itself without mistakes. If you can do that you will not age. (granted I'm actually meaning a "vaccine" against cancer"
Flag
Edge's idea makes more sense than you guys realize. And not just in a "TV science" sort of way.

It's true that "normal" vaccines don't influence DNA replication. They just train the immune system to combat certain pathogens or toxins more effectively. But cancer is not a pathogen or a toxin. It's an umbrella term for a variety of cell mutations (caused by either replication failure or damage from external influences), which are grave enough to eventually lead to systemic failure in the afflicted organism, but not pronounced enough to allow the immune system to recognize and dispose of the mutated cells.

As such, it stands to reason that a process that is able to inoculate an organism against cancer would involve making its DNA replication less failure prone, as well as drastically improving its immune system (to better identify and eliminate already mutated cells). On that note, remember Julia standing in front of a mirror and saying to herself "Come on Julia... you NEVER get sick" a few episodes ago?

As for immortality... Well, cell mutations are precisely what causes aging. Actually "cause" isn't even the right word. Aging IS a cell mutation. A decay of telomeres, parts of our DNA that protect other DNA sequences during replication, to be precise. Over time, these telomeres grow shorter because parts of them are lost during cell division. Eventually they decay completely and further cell division is no longer possible. This, in turn, causes the organism to degrade in a way that we casually call "aging". It is hypothesized (and partially demonstrated in experiments on rats) that if telomeres didn't degrade, or if they are restored, aging would not occur and could even be reversed. Incidentally, telomere degradation and dysfunction is also linked to various forms of cancer.

Long story short, cancer and (im)mortality are indeed related and governed by largely the same processes. And if you fix one, you'll likely also fix the other as a side effect... or at least be so close that the final step becomes relatively trivial.

PS: And if you think that this is all too science fiction-y to ever become reality... there are actually several multi-cellular organisms that have _naturally_ achieved effective immortality by perfecting DNA preservation in one way or another. And this is in nature, without any kind of human intervention. They just evolved that way. For example, several species of Hydra (a small, aquatic animal) achieve this by keeping a small pool of stem cells inside of them as a "DNA backup drive" of sorts. When their main cells degrade too much, they draw from that pool to restore their DNA to its original state and effectively make themselves younger again... and again... and again.
More +
Flag
Excellent job! I was trying to figure out how to explain these concepts, and I just didn't want to tackle it.

Everything I've read has indicated that increasing longevity only increases the odds of cancer over time. Having already dealt with cancer, and hoping to live a very long and active life, a cure for any form of cancer would be like finding the fountain of youth...I'm in.
Flag
A vaccine doesn't influence DNA synthesis. So we're back to being mortal.
Also cells make replication mistakes all the time, it's usually no big deal. I could elaborate on that but I'd probably bore you so let's just say that if the immortality plot turns out to be true on Helix it's just because of TV science, and it wouldn't make much sense scientifically in real life.
Flag
That's a nice sci-fi pipe dream & it's a cool idea, but just to give a little food for thought: Even if we ever got to the point to artificially copy our DNA perfectly, that couldn't produce immortality. All it could do is make a flawless copy of the strand. That idea doesn't take into account the external environment. I'd hypothesize that since even nature itself is unable to replicate perfect DNA, in order to stop natural evolution in its tracks and maintain internal hegemony, one would have to spend the rest of their unnatural life in an external bubble where every single factor, from every single molecule in the air that's breathed, to every atom of food ingested, ect ad infinitum.
Point is, no matter how much we may advance our science, the human race will never, ever conquer death. Life can simply not exist without it
Flag
oops...what I forgot to type was:
"from every single molecule in the air that's breathed, to every atom of food ingested, ect ad infinitum, would have to be constantly regulated in an extremely controlled environment, making the outdoors and all other uncontrollable areas, places that an immortal, cancer-immune person could never go.
Flag
This show reminds me of Under the Dome. However, it has one glaring difference. Now that difference isn't absurdity, like the absurdity of riding a snowmobile in the arctic with exposed faces, and the ability to speak to one another and hear each other. Nor is it spending the night in the lack of shelter that they had with merely their coats and a broke down space heater. Come on show. Also, Ryan's character sanding down her teeth. And th other assorted absurdities that exist in this show. But this show, unlike UTD, seems to have a direction and the show runners seem to have a plan and are not just throwing shite at the wall to see what sticks. And that, that kind of makes it watchable.

Now I want Alan to die. His stupidity and idiocy has gotten half of his team killed or infected. I really want Ryan's character to not file down her teeth and chomp his head off, Along with Sarah.

Hatake and Walker are the show. They are the only interesting aspect of it and are the ones that are making the show. Without one of them this show becomes unwatchable.
More+
Flag
They can kill off Sarah.
She is no good anyway...getting tests wrong, being jealous and taking tons of Morphine.
Flag
Speaking of stupidity, Alan is not responsible for the actions of Hatake and others, he makes mistakes sure, but he's a decent person, wishing his death just shows how immature you are. The characters that really deserve dying are the sociopaths like Balleseros, Sutton, etc.
Flag
Agree with you about hatake and Julia. I said from the very beginning that Julia is the best character on this show and now I can group hatake in there with her. Balleseros and Daniel are getting there too. I honestly don't care what happens to anyone else, I hate alan and sarah more every week.
Flag
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the show is "unwatchable" without Julia and Hatake, but they are the most interesting parts by far (with Alan and Sarah at the other end of the spectrum). Constance is a nice addition, and Belleseros and Daniel are growing on me.
Flag
Ok I have tried, and I mean really tried to like this show, but the plotholes, the bad acting and the terrible Writing has finally made me turn it off in the middle of episode seven. My god how bad can a shows Writing be?
Flag
I take it you didn't see the final season of Dexter
Flag
Caution: Negativity below

LOL @ the poll! It is so skewed because most people have quit the show. I think the reviewer has fanboyitis. Maybe if TWD creator/producer/gofers talked to him he would go gaga over TWD and ignore all the stupid stuff. Just a couple "stupid" things (too numerous to count):
  • Riding snowmobiles in the Arctic with exposed faces.
  • Their "shelter" in the Arctic (a snow fort would of be better).
  • Lost/stolen twin brother with amnesia (soap opera anyone).
  • Constance and team going the way Hatake suggested~LOL, they deserved to die!
  • Obsessively starring at photos? Could he put them on a locked smart phone?
  • Did Anna seriously think going to the compound with Balleseros was a good idea? Hmm, companies/people who steal kids and I'm just going to stroll in…
  • Was anyone surprised that Constance and Balleseros kissed? Yawn
  • Hey Julia is back! Let's all forget she is infected. WTF????
  • No questions about how Julia got back--let's just hug this infected woman and consequences be damned. After hugging her, just state your assumption about her being cured. Dude, I thought you were a scientist (LOL)
  • The infected are not unique so far~very 28 Days Later, World War Z, and almost every infected/zombie movie (except Romero's movie saga and TWD). The Crazies was much better but it had a fabulous actor (yummy Timothy Olyphant)
  • Nothing scary on this show except for every single character having no fucking common sense. To borrow from edshrinker, forget about a science advisor, what about a common sense advisor
The poll is favorable because the vast majority have quit this show. I'm tempted to troll Tim fanboys with links to this "review":-P

The ONLY thing I liked about this episode was the grinding down of the teeth. I never understood the concept of "hate-watching" shows. I keep expecting this show to get better but it keeps getting worse. If I keep watching, which I doubt, then I will understand the concept of "hate-watching" shows.

Seriously, this review consciously ignores the show's too numerous to count flaws and chooses to talk about stuff like the music and how it looks when cutting to commercials. What happened to critical reviews? It doesn't have to be negative but at least mention the bullshit and say why it doesn't matter. For example, I don't care about the amnestic lost twin brother story nonsense because the sterile white imagery fascinates me. IDK since I don't write reviews but this one feels like there were some kick backs given by show (Helix paid for the review).

Still no Aliens;-(
More+
Flag
No "expecting it to get better" excuse, if Helix is so bad, maybe you're not as smart as you think, you are what you watch. ;-)
Flag
If I've miss-understood your comment I apologise, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. Are you trying to imply that because @Vicky8675309 thinks the show is bad that she doesn't get it? That her comment on the quality of the show is a comment on her ability to understand what is going on?
I gave up on Helix after four episodes and I'm an analytical chemist - does that make me not as smart as I think I am, because I think Helix is worse than bad, it's terrible? What does the fact that I think Sean Saves the World is the worst sitcom in the last few years say about me?
And what is "you are what you watch" suppose to mean? Do you only watch sci-fi shows or are you a complex human being with differing tastes and varying moods who likes to enjoy different types of shows, just like me and I assume Vicky and every other member of the TV viewing public?
Flag
What do u mean no aliens?? Even tho it wasn't expressly spelled out I think its become pretty apparent that the silver-eyed ppl are aliens that wanna cull mankind's population and take over...
Flag
silver eyes automatically means aliens? If that is all the proof you need then that reminds me of the scientist on this show;-P
Flag
If you had read my other, much longer comment below I get a lot more in detail as to why I think they're aliens, I just didn't think I needed to reiterate my entire comment again in my reply to #vicki.. So no, silver eyes does not "automatically mean aliens" in fact the way I worded my reply does not indicate that in the first place. I just simply stated that the silver-eyed ppl are aliens, not that their silver eyes MADE them aliens..
Flag
I am glad someone other than myself pointed out Tim's obvious change in character in terms of writing show reviews. He does this show like it's his best friend and everything else like it was out to kill him.

I don't agree with all that you've said poster, but I agree with that. I am kinda still on the fence about Helix but with nearly every other show I watch in Midseason hiatus (whoever started that needs to die a painful death) it gives me something else to do. I want to know how the story ends but I am by no means in total love with it.
Flag
God forbid someone who reviews a show actually expresses love for it? Maybe you prefer dry, unbiased (which I'd argue is impossible) analyses of shows, but I like reading reviews in which the opinions and thoughts of the reviewer are present. To be honest, that's pretty much the case with all of the reviewers on this site. Also, I don't know where you're getting the "everything else like it was out to kill him" comment...Tim has been pretty clear about his issues with the show from the beginning, he's just choosing to look over those issues because of other things that work. I've never seen any zealotry on his end...
Flag
I agree that Hataki and Julie are most likely related. I like the idea that she is half human/half alien and that now she has the ability to stop the vectors because the aliens are naturally immune. It does make sense that they want to commit genocide and then control the rest with the cure. This is a fascinating show. I also agree that the aliens are naturals. They were not infected - you are right - they did not need to create a virus of something they already have. Still so very X-file-ish. :-)
Flag
I would say retared, not related....
Flag
"retared"????

If you meant "retarded" that's not cool, period.
Flag
Ok we got it, you hate it blahblahblah... but you love whining for sure! Smart people don't watch shows they consider retarded, unless...
Flag
Hataki and 7/9 are obviously aliens. She said she needs the virus to kill a lot of people, and rule over the rest. Julia is probably Hataki's daughter, and half human/half alien, and he activated her alien half, which is immune to the virus, just like they are. It makes sense. They create a virus to infect the population, then cure a few to enslave. In this case they obviously create a virus for which they are immune to. It's probably alien itself just like them and that's why they can control vectors. Just my theory.
Flag
When you say Julia is his daughter, I think it is more adopted/abducted daughter, much like Daniel. It would explain why she's been there but doesn't recall being there.
Flag
But she has the same "eye thing" going on, which means there has to be a genetic connection between them. I think she was just brainwashed or something to forget her childhood.
Flag
Well that's probably because aha take injected her with some of his blood in order to kill her Narvik A (or B) infection.
Flag
But then he cried because she was okay, and wanted to save her from The Borg very badly. And knowing what kind of a person he is, I would assume he wouldn't love her that much if she wasn't his daughter.
Flag
I really like this show....but you CANNOT sleep outside in an arctic winter storm, heater or no heater. Just watching it made me cold to my core. That detail irritated me enough to lose focus over the other storylines.
Flag
but they had some US military hocus pocus thing so thats why......or not....
Flag
I think the out of focus was to symbolize what Julia is going through. Her vision is also blurry from time to time. Especially when she is ina bright surrounding. But maybe I am wrong.
Flag
I agree; I think it was a bit of foreshadowing too, that things are finally starting to come into focus (at least for Julia).
Flag
To better explain what I am trying to say below:

Think of the VIRUS as a perfect delivery system. It detects possible candidates automatically. It infects the target and causes the target to both become recipient and also a new messenger to deliver the message at an exponential rate. It also has a fail-safe mechanism that prevents any one messenger to deliver the message to a particular organism (in this case the silver eyed species).

Those above are the properties of the VIRUS and not the message. The message can be anything, for example you could prepare it such that the VIRUS carried AIDS and spread AIDS to everyone but the silver eyed species at an exponential rate. And in this case CURE is what ends the message delivery, but not related to the Message. So What a possible CURE would do is just to remove the VIRUS from the target organism, but not the Message delivered. So if you cure one of the messengers carrying a virus with an AIDS message, you cure him of the VIRUS so it doesnt go berserk and infect everyone, but you wouldnt be curing him/her of the AIDS message delivered to him/her.

So, that is why I claim that Constance doesnt yet know what message is in the VIRUS at the moment and if she discovers that the Message contained causes people with specific compliant genes to become one of them, she may do whatever necessary to stop it, since it is Hataki's agenda and not Contance's. All Constance knows is that the virus is a perfect message delivery system and a perfect mass genocide weapon as soon as they have the cure to control the damage done by the virus. She also knows how virus works and that the infected (automated messengers) wont harm her.

More+
Flag
That makes a lot more sense than what I thought people were saying lol
Flag
Well, given that the virus is just an automated messenger (automated in terms of trying to auto spread the message to possible candidates around) one should not focus on the messenger itself but the message.

So, whats the message inside the virus? What we know so far is that the message is an alien DNA (here, alien means not known to men). And combined with the virus, it forms a gene therapy, modifying the genes of the target organism to match what is in the message.

Given that Hataki and Constance are naturals, meaning their genes are not modified through a therapy but they are naturally what they are (If they were not, they wouldnt be creating/experimenting the virus, why experiment something you already have before?) It seems like they are somewhat source of the message.

Depending on Constance asking for the virus and the cure, and mentioning they need the cure so that they can limit the damage done by virus when they use the virus, It seems like Constance & Co are interested in some mass genocide and also considering Hataki thinking Constance may kill Julia, Constance may know the virus is a delivery system but may not know what message virus is delivering and what is the end result.

Another fact seems to be that Hataki is somewhat related to Julia, either father or some relative or maybe developed something emotional since he raised/experimented on Julia during all those years. Especially the scene where Hataki was trying to tell something to Julia but got interrupted by Daniel supports this idea.

Also, the scene where Hataki realized his experiment worked (successfully transformed Julia's genes) his emotions may either mean a Scientist's tears of success, or a father's tears who thinks that now his daughter is finally one of them.
More+
Flag
i think the virus somehow changes people to something more, remember when alan said it was some kind of genetic therapy that carries some unknown DNA to the person who is infected?
Maybe the silver eyes are a side effect of that change, and by the looks of it no everyone can survive the change.
And the infected being scared of julia when her eyes turned silver could also be some sort of hierarchy, we know those infected with the virus don`t act randomly they attack people in order to create more of them,could be that those infected have hierarchy of themselves with the silver eyed people being on top and so on.
We haven`t seen the infected go after Hiroshi or after Constance when they were down to level r or anywhere for that matter.
It is not a cure or anything like that, with hiroshi and constance both with silver eyes if that was the side effect of a cure that would imply that they all ready have it.
I`ll just stick with my own speculations from above until i`m proven right or wrong :D
Flag
Why'd you have to curse it by mentioning Alphas, Tim??! It hasn't been renewed yet, dang it! It definitely gets better and better with each episode. A few weeks ago I was watching because its SciFi but not massively enjoying, whereas now I look forward to it each week. Don't be a d*** SyFy...
Flag
Jeez, it seems like I feel a lot better about this show right now then anyone, including Tim. I thought this episode was fantastic, the best yet really. It took most of the ideas and things we were comfortable with and threw them out the window..
I didn't really like Constance at first but she grew on me by the end... (I also never watched Star Trek, aside from the rebooted films) I don't know about Balls and Constance tho...I like the idea of him with Anana or whatever the hell her name is..
I personally thought that this episode revealed a lot about the characters which helped moved the plot forward... I have a pretty clear vision of some of whats goin' down here at ol' AB and with their shady corporate backers..
So of course, by sheer nature of me even thinking this I'll prb be proven wrong but...
I believe they're aliens, all the silver eyed ppl except Julia who obviously wasn't always an alien but now maybe is turning/or has turned into one because of being infected and then being exposed directly to Hatake's blood (and also maybe having something to do with her childhood link to Hatake). I think Hatake is at war with who he is, and that's why hes considered (sort of) a failure by Constance. He has sympathy for the humans..that's obvious. That's why Constance felt she needed to remind him which team he's really playing for. It all became clear to me when Constance was talking about the two viruses, she brought up virus A, which just killed everyone, which is what they wanted (along with a cure) she said something like "we need a cure because we don't want to kill all of them, just bring the population down" and Hatake explained that was so the corporation (READ: ALIENS) could enslave err I mean rule them. Constance asked about why he created the second virus which seems unnecessary to her. Though Hatake just chalks it up to another whack at creating the virus to annihilate mankind, you can tell Constance looks suspicious.. I think the root of the virus came from the alien's home world or another place but either way it isn't natural to our world and more importantly it doesn't effect the aliens.. they are immune to the virus. I think the reason Hatake created the second virus (the vector virus) was with the intent of secretly placing withing the virus the foreign (alien) DNA. I believe it was not his intent to create raging vector psychopaths, but to give the human beings a chance to fight off the virus in order to save mankind. That's why at the very beginning of the show when Hatake found Peter he was pleased and said it was progress that Peter was still alive and hadn't succumbed to the virus. He probably had to do it this way because if he was non-compliant the other aliens prb would have just killed him and found someone else to do what they wanted. The aliens have obviously been around secretly in our world for a long time, since Hatake knew Julia as a child and Danny has also been around since childhood. They came and infiltrated all levels of the gov't, as shown by Constance telling Hatake that it doesn't matter if the CDC folks turn up missing cuz "they have people in place to take care of things like that.." I think Hatake sent for the CDC in hopes of eventually getting their help in stopping whats going on, prbly thinking they'd be able to leave AB and get word out. I'm sure he led Constance to believe he needed their help with a cure. Maybe he does to some extent, but I doubt thats the only reason he wanted them to come. Otherwise, why make it all personal with letting Peter be infected and asking specifically for Alan? It couldn't have been solely about Julia, because she wasn't even on Alan's team and could have come alone.
I had previously for a split second entertained the idea of Hatake and Co. being Cylons or other types of AI, but only after I had read about it in Tim's article earlier this week, but it just doesn't fit.. the biological aspect doesn't fit, why would Hatake's blood help Julia? Why would the the silver eyed people strike fear in the hearts of vectors? Why would any kind of android need to file down their teeth? Their teeth wouldn't continue to grow they would have been manufactured along with the rest of their bodies..
I could be wrong about some or all of it, but that's half the fun! I guess we'll find out! Kudos to those of you who stuck with my novel here til the end, thanks :)
More+
Flag
I really liked this episode. Well actually I tune in every week because this is my new favorite show. I know some of the science is off but this is TV and make believe. Pretend you are in some parallel universe and their science is correct there; that is all it takes.

I love that Julia keeps hallucinating Peter because at least we get to keep seeing Peter. The cure made her eyes silver - interesting. I too wonder if she is Hatakes daughter.

This show is so X-files reminiscent it is crazy. Stolen children = X-files. Stolen children used for experiments = X-files. Clones/Twins = X-files. Crazy virus that infects and destroys for which there is no cure that is even black in nature (The Black Oil) = X-files That is Okay. The X-files was one of my favorite shows.

I think the virus is also alien in nature and I think Constance is too, but I could be wrong of course. This of course which would again be very X-filesish. Black oil virus created by aliens ... sure.

I am not upset by Constance and army guy. He is so cute. I am glad ahe is alive. If they kill Hatake I don't know if I can stand it. He is one of my favorite characters. He has great depth in his sneaky persona.

Don't kill Hatake please. PLEASE
More+
Flag
Constance + Balleseros = NOOOOOOOO.......ugh I hate her SO much and she's SO boring. But mostly, I either want Balleseros to be single or possibly with Anana. Seriously, if the rest of the season is them being all lovey-dovey, I will end up hating Balleseros, and he's my favorite character sooooooo.....

I'm guessing Hatake isn't as bad as we were first made to believe......What did Constance say, she wants to kill 1/3 of everybody and control the rest of them? Hatake clearly isn't behind that, but what is his goal? He does seem very attached to Julia, but I don't think she's his biological daughter.....maybe he kidnapped her too as a child but just really likes all of his kidnapped children. Then again, he may have just been crying because he was glad his experiment worked.
Flag
I'm not sure if I like the tunes used in some of the scenes like the ending.
Flag
I am totally with Price usually with his intense hatred of hashtags but I found SyFy's what the hell is going on very funny. You know I still feel confident in some of my theories and Constance's reference to thinning the herd confirmed one. The origin of the virus and the DNA transfer of it still feel alien in origin to me. I couldn't really tell if Hataki was happy crying or upset crying with Julia. Like he gave her the cure and maybe was hoping she would be just be totally okay but he is upset because she became like him. I lean toward that since he didn't take the contacts with him. This is the first week I have leaned a little away from him being her father and more she is likely one of those children Daniel remembers maybe even from the same village but Hataki took a liking to her as a child so he insisted a female scientist leaving the base take her. I don't know.
Flag
It seems Hatake was relieved that it worked and that Julia was fine. He could be his father (or he sees her as a substitute daughter), he was going to say something to her before she went to the lab: "Julia... I'm" They're dragging it a little bit, hopefully they won't wait till the finale to reveal it!
Flag
Just to make sure they have every TV trope covered, here comes sexy but evil business lady, speaking businessese ("That's a non-starter" Really. Someone actually wrote that dialog. I was waiting for here tell everyone "coffee is for closers"), mustache twisting and out-villain-y the main villain. I swore to myself - once she started to slap around beefcake, (My exact words out loud) "If they use the ole, 'it's foreplay (slap) now I'm gonna straddle you and bury my tongue in your mouth' routine - I am outta here".

And whuddya know. And I AM outta there.

I won't swear it off completely. I don't want to be a liar. But I can't take any more currently. Maybe I'll check back after the season if enough folks like how it ended.
Flag
LOL. I have to admit I was hoping she wouldn't be the "power bitch" stereotype so as soon as she started swinging her non-existent balls around I kinda tuned her out.

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to have another soft spoken person like Hatake taking charge and pretending to help (at least in public) and then show that she is higher on the food chain than Hatake in private. The scene with her buffing/filing her teeth would have been so much better if we didn't already see her as a shark.

As soon as she started slapping Serge around, my eyes almost rolled right out of my head. #LAME should have popped up on the screen.

I wish they would be as "innovative" with their writing as they are interested in being with the directing and music cues.
Flag
Home *freakin* Run. YOu just hit it out of the park.
Flag
Yeah, what was that some kind of caricature of a scene from a completely diff show? That scene just was just weird and I feel like Constance doesn't fit in with the tone of the show at all.
Flag
I like a lot of goofy shows. BUt Helix went from goofy, dumb, quirky, but kinda fun to just plain lazy and brainless. I was on thin ice all season, but I kept walking out on the lake. Every Friday. But last night I fell totally through. Just way too many things to try to ignore that take me out of any enjoyment of the show. It was redeemed a bit when they killed P-oreen. But nothing can redeem it for me now. Maybe over the summer I'll see how it turned out.

That said - I'm glad it has some fans. You guys deserve to have shows you like and I want anything sci-fi to do well. So - keep on! Don't let my negative nancy routine bug you.
Flag
I LOVE Jeri Ryan. But there is ZERO originality on how that character is written. I's like they hit COPY from the description of "tough/sexy head of evil corporation", put her in the script and hit PASTE. Lazy, idiotic, and as you noted, TOTALLY out of place.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members