A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Helix S01E08: "Bloodlines"

Well that was crazy, wasn't it? "Bloodlines" was an insanely paced episode that zipped between captures and escapes with so much gusto that it almost obscured the fact that not a whole lot happened, especially since the episode's big reveal was also Helix's worst-kept secret. A lot of the show's now-typical weirdness was shelved this week in favor of focusing on power struggles; in the end, Constance Sutton (Jeri Ryan) was ousted as Queen Bitch, and Arctic Biosystems found itself close to where it was a few episodes ago, before the mysterious corporate behemoth that's bankrolling this clandestine operation butted in.

There's not much point in recapping the events "Bloodlines," since it was heavy on insignificant action via characters running around, getting caught, and escaping. Alan and Sarah were stuck in a lab and then escaped thanks to a microscope bomb, Balleseros was cuffed and then uncuffed thanks to a lock pick, Julia Walker was thrown into a locked room and then escaped by taking out an air vent, Dr. Hatake was bound to a chair and then set free by Julia... it was enough to make me think I was watching Revolution! But one thing we SHOULD discuss is the big murder of Sutton at the end of the hour, and whether she ultimately had an impact on the show, because I'm having a hard time figuring out why the writers ever brought her into the labs in the first place, at least from a narrative standpoint.

Other than being the first human (or maybe even non-human) representation of the Ilaria Corporation and understanding that Julia was highly valued by science types, Sutton apparently arrived just to stir some shit up by barking orders and teasing answers to some of the questions we've been asking. We know Sutton is was another silver-eyed freak (along with Hatake and Julia), but why? We know she had a romantic past with Hatake (she even gave him a watch! Also, who HASN'T she had a romantic past with?), but how does that fit into things? And we know the two of them were collaborating on something involving the virus, but what? These questions don't identify interesting new possibilities so much as they underline mysteries that already existed, and on a show like Helix—which relies heavily on the question-and-answer relationship it maintains with its audience—they're slowing things down. And now Sutton is dead. 

I'm not saying the character was a waste, no no no. I loved Sutton and the energy she brought to Helix. But when I look back at her arc, all I see are some fun one-liners and tiny question marks, instead of a giant Jeri-Ryan-shaped indentation on the story—especially now that Ilaria has been booted from Arctic Biosystems, and things appear to be exactly as they were before. 

But let's move on. Poor Julia! She had the worst Take Your Daughter to Work Day ever! Sutton did confirm what I thought was too obvious to be true, and what Helix didn't really try to hide: Julia is Hatake's daughter. It's the type of reveal that completely changes the outlook of a character. Now Hatake looks like he's trying to be a pretty good dad instead of a megalomaniac, which qualifies as one of those "you think you know the character but you don't" twists that showrunner Steven Maeda discussed with me just over a week ago.   

"Bloodlines" was a somewhat sloppy episode that only had one real goal: to wrap up the Sutton storyline and get the Ilaria goons out of the lab. But getting there required a lot of roundabout action and dangling threads. Why didn't Alan ask about Julia's eyes? What happened to the supposedly infected food supply? Why didn't the vectors that were released into the lab last week have more of an impact? The good news is that "Bloodlines" ousted Ilaria, and that gives me a good feeling about the last few episodes of the season.

LAB NOTES BUT MOSTLY QUESTIONS

– Vector Vision! And the vector couldn't see inside Julia, just Alan and Sarah. And it appeared to be looking at a human's bloodflow. Does that mean Julia's blood is different?

– I don't know why Arctic Biosystems stores their grub in a room illuminated by blacklights, but it looked cool. Maybe Daniel throws raves in his downtime? 

– Any theories as to why Julia was so famished after getting "healthy"? Is she one of the Returned from The Returned? (If you haven't seen The Returned, please spend the rest of the weekend catching up.) Also, Julia's viral fake-out was not funny. Not funny!

– Sutton sounds like a bitch of a boss. She thought CDC scientists would work better under pressure, so she decided it was a good idea to let vectors run free so the chaos would help Alan find a cure. Ooooooookay. 

– Balleseros's character sure has fallen off, hasn't he?

– Why did the vectors grab Peter?

– Julia ran into some vectors in the vents, but they just sniffed at her kept going. Compare that to the last time Julia confronted a vector, and it ran away screaming in fear. Was Julia wearing colored contacts in the vents? 

– Have you noticed that the Ilaria Corporation has a lot of redheaded employees? They're the true freaks! (Just kidding, gingers!) 

– Sarah's hobbies include operating sound cannons with precision targeting. Sounds about right. 

– Is Anana gone for good? What did she bring to the series? She'd better come back. 

– Sutton's comments about Hatake's watch were about much more than the watch: "I guess once you start replacing the parts it's not quite the same." The question Helix will be asking soon: "Does gene therapy make us inhuman?" 

– I miss Doreen.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I finally caught up with the episodes now after avoiding the spoilers , a good episode will miss crazy sutton although jeri ryan was a bit hammy. I do think the head in the case is a bit like matrix Dr Zevit head in the case like this series might be deja vu. I do think the season getting better a least we getting somewhere to knowing the truth ,although the Major and the Anana escaping and getting caught got boring.
Flag
I enjoyed very much having Jery Ryan round but:
- It was too short
- I still do not see the point...

I feel that Mark Ghanimé & Luciana Carro have some crazy, crazy chemistry and I drool every time they have a fight scene... is that bad?
Flag
This show is a hot mess.
Flag
I miss Doreen,
8 episodes done but still no clue where we are heading,
I have enjoyed the ride but fatigue is round the corner.
Flag
This is, basically, The Walking Dead in a smaller space with a better plot and it seems to actually go somewhere! And it seems like the B Virus is designed to turn someone with "Sliver eyes DNA" in them into Sliver Eye whatever they are! But it doesn't work on none Sliver eye childen.
Flag
If I am writing Helix, in two weeks, I bring back Sutton, in the same manner as before---choppers, storm troopers, bad attitude and all, only this time I write her even in an even worse mood than the first Sutton.
Flag
This is basically one of those episodes where they hit the reset button; now things are exactly back they were before, Peter is back with the Vectors, Julia is back with her team, Hatake is back in charge with Daniel by his side. Sara is back to pressing her face against the glass and watching helplessly as Alan worries about Julia,, Balesseros is still on the fence of good and bad, not knowing what side he's really on in the end. Jerri Ryan came in like a tornado but went out like a burst of fart, I like the actress but did she really bring anything to the show if they were just going to turn around and kill her off and then hit the reset button. The only question answered is that Hatake is Julia's father, I thought he just was in love with her so that explains alot; except for one thing, Hatake has not aged, he looks exaclty the same now as he did in that picture and Julia's visions. She was there before as a kid so her past will probably Vector related, but my current guess of the ingame is that Hatake and the others are aliens and they are using the virus to take over human hosts.
More+
Flag
Yeah this episode was tons of action but not enough substance.
I mean Julia is Hatake daughter... yawn.
I did liked when Julia was referred as a monstrosity! cool! please let her have awesome psychic powers.
And Daniel/ Miksa is staying in the facility with Hatake mmm
Yes Doreen was awesome I miss her too
Flag
Ok I have one question... I must've missed it.. who was the first head in the box guy?

Flag
Why didn't Alan ask about Julia's eyes?
Pretty sure he already noticed it in the last episode...

What happened to the supposedly infected food supply?
It got eaten. lol. Jk... I thought Daniel decontaminated the room?
I mean Miksa.. Daniel..MiksaDaniel...

Why didn't the vectors that were released into the lab last week have more of an impact?
They did..they stole Peter. That's all they wanted. And I honestly think the food supply thing was to distract them...because they wanted Peter.

Does that mean Julia's blood is different?
I think her entire genetic makeup has changed in ways they can't detect.

Balleseros's character sure has fallen off, hasn't he?
Was I suppose to like him when he let Anana go? I did not forget you KILLED Doreen...you douche...

Why did the vectors grab Peter?
Because he's there leader :) Patient Zero

Was Julia wearing colored contacts in the vents?
Probably didn't know how to activate it. In any event...they didn't want her. She could also now..."smell like them"

Have you noticed that the Ilaria Corporation has a lot of redheaded employees?
I honestly thought it was the same guy over and over... lol. ooh clones.. ginger clones!!!

Is Anana gone for good? What did she bring to the series?
Of course not..that's too easy..she's going to bring back the other brother with the weird name..and then they're going to go around going.. My name is Miksa.. My name is Anana.. My name is.. whatever the other guy's name is..
More+
Flag
I liked this episode, but the worst part was when Daniel was all "my name is Miksa" - I found that sort of lame. He JUST met his sister, finds out he was abducted and then just hours later is like "cool, I'm Miksa now"?
Flag
Ilaria demands their employees don't lose their heads under pressure. Sutton failed in that aspect and was terminated as a result.
Flag
one remaining impact sutton had was informing us that military dude is another allaria oversight plant rather than from some yet to be named faceless entity.

I think julia's transformation has lead to exceptional health and a raised metabolism. in line with sutton having to grind down her teeth.

alan ordered the contaminated food destroyed, i'd assume that's what happened.

miksa's sister brought some beauty in addition to reveals to the show. she can always come back and I welcome it for the most part.
Flag
I think we may see Sutton again. It's probably just a matter of doing some alien thing with her head. I wouldn't be surprised if she could regrow her body. See you later Jeri Ryan!

So Julia is Hatake's daughter - I'm glad they cleared that out. Finally I can stop worrying they will gag and tie her up.

Sounds like Grey-eyes and human mating is big No in Grey-eyes codex. No wonder Hatake tried to hide his once human daughter.

I can't wait till we see Grey-eyes space ship :)
Flag
"The only thing that's wounded is my vintage Dior...." Class!!! For a moment there I thought I was watching Ugly Betty! That's my second favourite line from the episode. My favourite is Daniels, "My name is Micsa" until that point I thought he was'nt interested in Anana and his heritage. Go Daniel Micsa!!
Flag
Am I the only one who noticed that Sutton specifically referred to Julia as an "abomination"? I'm fairly certain Hatake is not her actual father. I'm guessing she was actually created, which would explain why Julia in no way looks half-Japanese. I'm willing to bet money that Hatake grew Julia in a lab to serve as a perfect host for this virus, or some similar reason.
Flag
Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead. I was just about to stop watching.

I hate when there is one superior character that's nothing but a bully. Not entertaining, Im out.
Flag
This was such a weird episode. When the vectors were looking through the vents at Julia and Alan, their vision of Alan looked like he had greenish veins, but Julia looked normal. I think that's why they didn't attack her; and I'm sure that Hatake looks the same to them too. But what about Daniel and Balleseros, how do they look to the vectors?

I'm trying to figure out how Hatake will explain Constance' disappearance to Allaria. She is a mover and shaker in the company, and now her and her entire contingent are "headless" toast. And I'm not all that sure Julia is Hatake's biological daughter. As someone else posted, he never confirmed the relationship.

Balleseros and Daniel were changing sides so often, I'm not sure they were keeping up. And I'm not too sure why Balleseros didn't kill Anana. Maybe she's his back-up plan; after all, she is the law, and she has outside access to even more law.

The vectors broke in to get Peter? Now that's really interesting. I cannot wait to see what they do next!
Flag
Sutton brought some background to the table, some of it interesting and/or important backstory.

Through either her dialog or actions we learned the following:
  • Hatake is working for a group of [whatever's] that are like him.
  • He doesn't agree with their plan.
  • He's apparently going against their plan in some manner, apparently via some "Willis Hyothesis" or something.
  • The zombie-like Vectors are NOT what should have happened, but it seems like it was somewhat his plan anyway.
  • Sutton herself didn't really agree with the original plan, but something happened and now she's loyal to her masters.
  • Sutton appears to be big on culling the human population... Hatake appears to be slightly more on our side.

Flag
So this was another episode where Sarah's convenient hand shake didn't show up. I hate when shows do that. Either be consistent with it or think up something better to move plots along. I am sure we are going to see it again, when it proves convenient.

The rest of the episode was just all right. Julia is still my favorite character, even though a so called professional when discussing whether they are infected or not wouldn't do the whole fake out thing. Come on guys, these people are supposedly pros and they look like 2 yea bio students. I understand the need for levity but for crying out loud.

Same thing with Alan and Sarah not you know studying Julia to make sure she is good to go rather then going to talk to Sutton.

Julia not showing up on the vector radar is interesting. Likely their are two different defense systems for those like Julia and Hatake one is that they can't see their blood or don't recognize them as viable and the second is the eyes which they are afraid of for reasons not yet known.

The "death" of Sutton might actually not be what we think it is. Balleseros was going after the other Doctor's head. We know from Hatake that the people with silver eyes have unbelievable self healing skills. My guess is that the company wanted the head because that scientist too had silver eyes. Hatake, as he did with Sutton, cut his head off with the rest to take total control over the lab. But because they are silvers, it doesn't kill them. There were reasons why he froze them, likely because it puts them into a stasis. Attach the head back to the body or even another body and it comes out of stasis and becomes viable again. So she might come back at some point. Also if Balleseros finds out he knows where they keep the heads.

This is also why the Vectors stole Peter. Peter was put into stasis by Alan but as we saw with the Monkeys it doesn't kill the virus. My guess it comes back more formidable. Perhaps Peter will be the vector that can do something to those with Silver eyes. Hatake said progress when Peter became infected. But he did not say what kind of progress. Perhaps he is creating something that can actually kill the other Silver eyed people.

But none of this makes up for the silliness. Like there is no way that tiny room would feed all of the people in the lab. Or Sarah and her penchant for Sound Canons that don't exist. I think the smallest one is a couple feet in circumference and usually mounted on a truck. This one was the size of a boom box. Or that the head of Sutton's security didn't know the makings of an explosive. Or how Daniel is still alive.

Doreen is dead Tim and she deserved it.
More+
Flag
"The rest of the episode was just all right. Julia is still my favorite character, even though a so called professional when discussing whether they are infected or not wouldn't do the whole fake out thing. Come on guys, these people are supposedly pros and they look like 2 yea bio students. I understand the need for levity but for crying out loud."

This just shows how much she's changed. To me, throughout the episode, Julia seemed as though she were almost manic. Her increased appetite, her willingness to take greater risks (it seemed she just climbed up into the vent, just because she was curious - it was kind of obvious that vectors would be climbing around up there), and her pretending to be choking? Julia said it herself: she's changed. So, her acting like a second year bio student, was something that that TBTB added in on purpose to better illuminate the fact that Julia, well, obviously isn't the same Julia anymore.

That said, great point about Dr. Sutton! I hadn't thought of it that way. I was honestly disappointed with Sutton's death this episode. We had previously thought that Hatake would be the "big bad" of the series, and Sutton's entrance totally changed all of that - Hatake's true role, and that Sutton may actually be the "big bad" or the link to the true "big bad", Illaria. If what you say is true, then we may well see the return of Sutton, and Dr. Hvit!

More +
Flag
That is a great point Julia is almost teenager like. It likely would be an offset of the virus. We still don't know a lot about the virus inside of her. It made Peter stronger, it gives Hatake the ability to heal. Who knows what else it does. So it could with her not really knowing what is going on inside of her body and likely having a new found feeling, she could display a few manic tendencies. Really good point MC. Thanks.
Flag

I liked the ep. Best parts; Julia's fake-out she's officially my favorite character now, and the death of Jeri Ryan, never been a fan so it was great to see her head in a jar.
And "the worst Take Your Daughter to Work Day ever", thank u for that one, had me laughing out loud.
Oh and more vectors and humans(?) crawling around the air vents, spooks me everytime. Hello Alien. And Julia even referenced Alien during the fake-out. Awesomeness x2.
I want to see more vectors tho and it seems like I'll have my wish fulfilled the next ep. Peter for vector king. He has my vote for sure.

Flag
This episode was good, I did enjoy it... loved the fact that we got to see Hiroyuki's martial arts ability a little bit when he killed Sutton. I'm still not sure if Hatake is Julia's biological Father (it could still go either way for me (father/daughter or something else) but they have the best chemistry out of all the characters when they are together, thats for sure.

Side note: I can't wait for when the other characters have hallucinations :)
Flag
Sutton said "We [she & Hatake] took a vow to author a separate history". I think they came from the future.
Flag
Ah, interesting theory, as opposed to the alien theory.
Flag
Thanks for that info. I couldn't make out that line but knew it was important.
Flag
I'm gonna quit this show if Sutton doesn't come back in season 2 as a Cyborg, Battle Angel Alita style (but not really)
Flag
I actually really liked Julia's fake out scene. As soon as she started eating like crazy I totally called the scene from Alien. I was hoping her chest would start to bubble a bit and then she'd wake up, but her laughing hysterically worked for me too. :)

WTH with Alan not asking her about her eyes?

Rest of the ep was meh. So the silver eyes are trying to take over and Hatake is not down with genocide. (sad trombone). Disappointingly simple.

If Serge wanted to leave the base why didn't he just take off with Anana?

Why is Hatake keeping heads? I'm betting on some weird regeneration ability. I'm guessing Jeri Ryan will be back, this season or next (if it gets renewed).

Where is everyone else on the base? People keep making announcements over the P.A but no one seems to be around to hear them.

What was with the boots scene?

Honestly if it wasn't for the infectious opening title music, I'd have bailed on this show already.

Flag
"What was with the boots scene?"

Pretty sure that was just "Now go shine my boots, maggot!"
Flag
Omigod, thank you for asking the question, flintslady! I was wondering the same thing! I guess having her subordinates shine her boots makes the most sense, but after the revelation with the silver eyes and the teeth filing *shudders* I was wondering if she had weird alien feet or something?
Flag
Ahhh. Weird.
Flag
Yeah right, the opening title keeps you watching... that sounds dumber than anything Helix has ever done! lol Like a famous song says: Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies.... ;-)
Flag
I like the fact that Julia didn't try to keep her eyes a secret from Alan and Sarah.

Flag
Me too! However, I find it strange that neither Alan nor Sarah tried to find out what happened to her eyes or even discussed it.
Flag
The Returned, kinda sounds like The 4400, but different. too bad its not streaming on Netflix or free with Amazon Prime
Flag
So? You can still get the episodes online like thousands and thousands do around the world, is ok, no one is getting hurt or anything.
Flag
yes Julia was wearing contacts in the vents...i was wondering why the vector reactions were different too. actually, we just see them coming up and sniffing her...then commercial break....then no vectors around her. maybe they did run off screaming thru the vents, but we just didnt see it.

Flag
When the vectors were looking through the vents at Julia and Alan, their vision of Alan looked like he had greenish veins, but Julia looked normal to them. I think that's why they didn't attack her.
Flag
You're right that she was wearing her contacts. Her eyes weren't gray/silver.

We did, however, see the vectors crawl away after the commercial break.
Flag
oh, musta missed that after the break
Flag
Balleseros sucks. i thought he would be a cool character at first, but he's just a bad actor and has bad lines written for him
Flag
I went to bed. I'll catch what I missed later, but for now I need to know whether they ever explained why Sutton had to file her teeth
Flag
it appears that Ilaria wanted this virus and the cure so they could thin out the human population and keep/save/change the people they wanted to keep around. who knows why...other than for power/money??? or maybe they are thinning the heard before their overlord arrive from outer space.

Flag
Hatake never confirmed Julia is his daughter...its just a ripped pic of them together....doesnt mean he's her father
Flag
i'm not saying it's not true, he just never confirmed it when Sutton said it
Flag
So many questions!
I hope this doesn't go all Lost on us at the end.
Flag
LOST was awesome. including the end. not sure how this relates at all to Helix
Flag
Exactly, I'm so sick of people using that term. Plus it's getting old now. LOST was and always will be a masterpiece in storytelling.
Flag
Get all the sick you want, you can't deny Lost is full of plotholes and nonsense. There are better shows with more consistent and coherent writing: The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc.
Flag
That is your opinion. No need to be rude. I was referring to the saying "pulling a LOST" which was invented by lazy, intellectually challenged people who couldn't handle the fact that they didn't understand (or like) the show.
Now you've got your point of view and I have mine. For a network show LOST was a revelation. The Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad are all fantastic dramas that will stand the test of time for decades to come. However, LOST will always be one of my favourite shows. Just like Breaking Bad will always be one of my favourite shows. And there is nothing you can say to me to change my opinion. This isn't a competition.
Flag
I think she mean's she hopes that Helix doesn't fall into the trap of setting up a lot of mysteries that remain unexplained or inconsequential in the end.
Flag
Putting it the way you have is fine. It's just that I'm not very tolerant of people who point to LOST as the show that didn't deliver or that somehow "screwed up", just because they failed to understand the ending.
But Helix is a very different show. First of all, it's a much smaller show - budget wise. Second there's not much in the way of philosophy or intelligence. It's science fiction/horror/fantasy. The way the story is unfolding, I doubt many people will be thrilled with what answers are given. It also depends how popular it gets and how many seasons they do. But form what I can see so far Helix seems happy to walk the line between mystery and comedic horror without being too worried about logic or answers. And that's fine too. I'm sure the show can sustain it's current motto for a couple of seasons.
Flag
If you marathon LOST the final season is much easier to understand........almost all the mysteries - and certainly all the important ones - were explained in the final season.
Flag
I want to know if whatever Hatake and Sutton are resemble humans naturally or if it's a sort of form they can take. Now that we know Julia is half whatever Hatake is, and Sutton thinks she is an abomination, I imagine Illaria will feel the same way and try to eliminate her is they find out she is a halfie.

I'm kinda not understanding where it's supposed to go from here, since Hatake just activated Julia's latent "alien" half and there isn't an actual cure, it's basically people running around the Arctic being chased by vectors.
Flag
Sorry to add even more questions to the pile, but inquiring minds need to know:

Anana is a cop, right? What's to stop her from calling in the FBI, KGB, RCMP, National Guard, or United Nations? Somebody has to have jurisdiction. Now that she has solid evidence of child abduction, illicit and dangerous bio-whatever experiments, a corporate genocide plot, etc, shouldn't she be blowing a very big whistle once she gets home?

How far do you think Ilaria's patent claim on Julia would get in court? This isn't rhetorical. I'm serious.

With all the heads in jars, is this really just an early Futurama prequel? Look at some of the sets and story lines, and tell me I'm dreaming. Of course with Sutton gone, who's going to play Mom? Unless they reattach her head to a cloned body I suppose...

Flag
In the first episode they talked about how, because they're above the whatever parallel, they're in international territory and the CDC doesn't technically have jurisdiction - they're only able to go because they've been invited. I don't think she would be able to "invite" a police force into international territory - she would be able to ask for humanitarian help, probably, but I don't think there's a whole lot anyone could do for fear of starting an international incident.

I don't think it would get far at all: after all, people who have patented artificial heart valves and the like are allowed to live their lives even though their body contains patented information. They would be able to claim whatever they did to her as proprietary, but they wouldn't be able to keep her in captivity. Not in the US, at least.....if they're based in Russia or China, I doubt anyone would even find out about them keeping her prisoner.
Flag
I don't buy the "above the whatever parallel" argument. This may have been the case when this was a mere "disease outbreak", but it's clearly more than that now. We're talking about a company that's kidnapping children, and building their own bio-weapon here. Their grand plan is to eventually release it, for whatever purpose, but the result would be genocide on a global scale.

The US has repeatedly shown they are willing and able to take action to protect their interests, even in territory belonging to other sovereign nations. Why would they not take action in unclaimed territory? It would only mean they'd need to keep it quiet. And if not them, why not the UN? If nobody else has jurisdiction, surely they must. You can't say that a line on a map would stop the world from taking action to stop this.
Flag
Did Anana get any proof? She found Daniel/Miksa, but besides that? There might even be paperwork that backs up Hatake's story of finding Miksa in an orphanage. Without a trace of the other children, there's not much there. However, I think Anana is far from being done, just because she had to leave the base before getting anything else on the other missing children. I wonder if Sutton got the word out on Anana's escape so that the "second wave" could deal with it.

And what could Anana possibly know about the bio-weapon? Who would have told her? Neither Sergio nor Daniel seem to be very forthcoming...

Well, Anana was a fun addition to the show and I really hope she shows up again. Hopefully rescuing our heroes from the base :)
Flag
I may be presuming a bit there, but she did ask him about the other children, and she was there long enough to get most of the rest of their situation before leaving. The fact that Daniel /Miksa snuck her out the back door, apparently on his own initiative, leads me to think that they may have come to an understanding, and he may have told her more. Heck, even Balleseros tried to cover her escape. I think she has enough to start an investigation at least, and possibly a lot more. More likely she'll continue her one woman crusade, because that makes a better story than having the troops come in and shut the whole thing down. Just saying reality would probably be different.
Flag
If they start feeding the heads fish food, I'm in for Futurama prequel
Flag
Oh and I think the vectors are evolving, or have some kind of hive mind. They view Peter as their leader, that's why they took him.

Flag
Interesting idea. I assumed Hatake told them to do it. But I think maybe I like your idea better.
Flag
Wow, guess I was pretty far off in my theory. Looks like they're prb cyborgs after all.. I find that slightly less awesome.. guess that explains the other Dr's head Balls tried to steal that one time.. Goodbye Constance, for now at least. And Hatake really is Julia's father! All those ppl who said that was too obvious...apparently not! Maybe this show doesn't love dishing out answers, but I was engaged throughout so I feel Helix is doing its job entertaining me
Flag
I gotta agree with you Dazed, I have no problem admitting that this show is doing a good job by entertaining & keeping me engaged throughout the episode. I doubt they're cyborgs though.
Flag
LOVED this episode....mainly because it made me like all - yes, ALL - of the main characters, when I previously disliked most of them.

- Sarah is redeemed in my eyes (I just hope she doesn't revert to being boring/selfish/stupid).
- Alan is likeable (although still kinda boring, but whatever).
- Julia is both likable and interesting.
- Hatake has transformed from villain to good guy. We'll see if he stays this way once he and Alan are no longer fighting a common enemy.
- Daniel, who had previously bored me to tears, is now one of my favorites.
- Anana has proven that she is as awesome as I thought she would be, and according to IMDB (casting spoiler) she'll be in the rest of this season's episodes. Favorite female character, hands down.
- Balleseros (my favorite!) finally had the positive character development I was looking for - and was partially shirtless! - and so I'm pretty much in love with him.....so sad he'll be missing next episode! Hopefully he'll get a bigger role in the future episodes though. I'm totally shipping him and Anana. Shamelessly. She calls him Sergio....awwww. (And then punched him later - you go girl)
- And, Sutton, the only character I hated - mostly because the acting was bad imo - died, so bonus!

I thought I would hate if it turned out Hatake was Julia's father, but I'm actually really interested by both of them now, so I'm not nearly as bored by the idea as I thought I would be.
More+
Flag
Why are you saying Balleseros will be missing next episode, I'm sure I saw him in the promo :o... hopefully without any cuffs for a while :)

Flag
Ah you're right....he's sitting out episode 11 upon double checking. yay!
Flag
Oh don't worry, Sarah will do something you will hate, you'll see! lol
Alan is not boring IMO, but seeing how you're obsessed with Sergio, maybe you just don't like older guys. On Jeri Ryan's acting, it was ok, not worse than most of the other actors anyway, but the writers made the character not that likeable.

Wondering what will they do with the heads, quite a few possibilities there (cloning, artificial intelligence, powers...) depending how crazy they want to get with the show if there's a Season 2.

Flag
I agree about Sutton - but I think it was 30% bad acting and 70% badly written character. Oh and the dialogue she had to deliver....oh boy! Yep, glad she's gone.
Flag
I loved Sutton, she was such a great character. What a shame that she's been reduced to a bowling ball with eyes. I hope she did leave something to the show that will be made obvious in the next episodes. RIP Bitch. :/
Flag
So can I share a pet peeve? I hate cryptic half conversations where everyone is telegraphing we know we aren't telling you everything and we know you know too.

I laughed at the Revolution reference...how on earth are Monroe and Conner getting out! Did they tell Conner he joined the Houdini crew?

I think this might have been Helix's bottle episode.

I think they also need to make a commitment about Baliesarios. Good guy who is trapped? Bad guy on a redemption arc? Is he also one of the silver eye people? Are we supposed to be confused by the fact he killed Doreen but basically gave himself up for Anana? I am.
Flag
I think thus far they're trying to put Balleseros in the same category as Daniel: abducted as a kid, raised by evil people, did bad things, and now are looking for redemption although they don't think they deserve it or can earn it. Anana pretty much said that to Daniel.
I don't think he's silver-eyed; I think only the higher-ups like Sutton and Hatake are....whatever it is they are. I got the impression the grunts are just normal humans.
Flag
I like the idea of giving Daniel and Balleseros the same backstory. I’m still curious though: why did they need these kids? Just loyal soldiers? I don’t think either one of them is silver eyed, but they do have light greyish eyes. Based on the pic Anana had of herself and her brothers as children, Miksa’s eye color seemed much darker.
Flag
I'm guessing they were experimenting on them.....from the online Helix extras, we know they took a lot of siblings, and it's probably just easier to abduct kids than adults (plus they live longer so they can see how their experiments affected them).
Flag
I totally agree that Sergio (myphone and I won't agree on the spelling of his last name) and Daniel are basically the same. I sort of wondered if he was silver eyed because he was kind of being a pain in the ass to the Ilaria people and they seemed the type to rid themselves of such problems but he was confident they wouldn't or maybe couldn't.
Flag
I think Balleseros knew he was safe because of his connection to Sutton. Her minions sure wouldn't be allowed to shoot him.
Flag
I thought the episode was great and actually had a good flow and wasn't just a reset or filler.... you had more with Julia explained, Hatake and Daniel's relationship changed for sure, more shades from other characters, and two interesting develoopments with the vector's "rescuing" Peter and Sutton's head being placed outside.

It asks more questions, sure, but it also gives off a sense of "there is something deeper and even more sinister here". Are the vectors really that one minded and pure animalistic? Why the hell did they put Sutton's head out there with the other heads... wouldn't someplace inside be better...... unless Sutton cannot really die and her head being near her body might have her regenerate...?

Seriously, this show is taking the best of horror, thrillers, and sci fi and mixing them to make a first season that has truly been amazing. But then, there is an overall sense the writers and showrunners know where all this is going and there is a tightness in the narratives despite the audience confusion. Let's hope this continues and it doesn't end up like Once Upon a Time.. or Lost. Even if they really are just winging it with only some realisation of the overall goal. BSG pulled it off and this show has my trust right now.
More+
Flag
Follow this Show
Members