A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)

Helix S01E09: "Level X"

Helix is back to being freaky, and boy does it feel good. I figured that once Constance Sutton was out of the picture—and she made her exit sooner than I expected—the role of the show's main antagonist(s) would be returned to its rightful owners: those guys with the bleeding eyeballs downstairs. Bringing in the Alaria mercenaries wasn't a bad decision, per se, but the vectors are what really get Helix lurching into the creepy territory that makes the show so silly and fun. They're just so unpredictable and scary! Guys with guns working for a big corporation? Seen it many times before. Experiment-gone-wrong weirdos with black goo pouring out of every orifice? Seen it much less. 

And with the vectors and the virus back in focus, "Level X" moved forward with pressing urgency and at the glossing-over-details-and-basic-scientific-facts pace that suits Helix well. There were reveals! Old secrets exposed! A vector messiah! And one hell of an awesomely cheesy line from Dr. Hatake! Heck, even the storyline about Anana's village picked up speed to the point where it became mildly interesting. Together, those elements formed the compelling concoction that makes Helix such a perfectly brainless yet dazzlingly entertaining Friday-night show. 

The main arc of "Level X" followed Julia and Alan as they headed down to DUN-DUN Level X, a previously undiscovered (by them) basement-below-the-basement and one of Dr. Hatake's 1,637,284 secrets. That's where Alan and Julia would find Hatake's Chamber of Death, a storage facility for Arctic Biosystems' catalog of mankind-eradicating viruses and other microbugs. There were vials of Spanish Flu (not to be confused with Spanish Fly, but that was probably there, too)! The Black Plague! Even World Cup Fever! And most importantly, Hatake's designer virus, Narvik! And Alan and Julia had to go get it because Alaria Corp. "would not stop until they have the virus." [*cue Bossa Nova theme song*] 

But accessing Level X wasn't going to be easy, because the vectors were in the middle of a meeting to welcome their new overlord, Peter. And their election ceremony was pretty rad. The vectors passed around a cheeky "Keep Calm and Carry On" cup and everyone barfed into it one by one, then they poured it into unconscious Peter's mouth as if they were fulfilling the terms of some grade-school cafeteria double-dog dare, and then he sprung up and accepted his position as king of the vector masses like he was Hugh Jackman in Viva Laughlin. Why is Peter their leader? Who knows? Who cares? Helix is a show where comprehensible logic isn't the main objective. No, the main objective is to get viewers to say "Whoa," and I whoa-ed until my neighbors were convinced that Keanu Reeves had moved in next door. Mission accomplished, Helix.

So what plan did Alan come up with to circumvent all these vectors? The deep freeze by way of elaborately planned timing with a ton of moving parts. Vectors don't handle cold very well (same goes for the virus, which would explain why the Arctic is a good place to play God), so Alan turned off all the space heaters in the building and opened the windows to let the frigid air in. There was definitely some pseudoscience going on here, but again, who cares? I mean, Alan was talking about hypothermia possibly setting in, and they needed the temperature to drop to minus 40 degrees, but all they did was put on jackets and mittens and Julia didn't even experience as much as a rosy cheek or see her breath freeze. It worked! And Alan and Julia moseyed past the vectorcicles and destroyed a bunch of viruses thanks to a conveniently placed incinerator. There was just one problem: The Narvik virus was missing. Oh no!

On their way out of Level X, Julia noticed more of her child-time initials on the ground near a grate because little Julia was the Banksy of her day, I guess. And even though a bunch of vectors were in the process of thawing out, she HAD to investigate what was beneath the grate because she HAD to. So they went down into it, and they found a perfect replication of Julia's mother's cabin in Montana and I was like, "CALLED IT!" because I said that there was no Montana cabin three reviews ago. But now I don't feel like I should be all that proud because it was pretty obvious. Still, I was right about something for the first time in my life. 

That led Julia to confront Dr. Hatake for the umpteenth time about what in the wide world of sports was going on here, and Hatake coughed it up and told her in a growing snowball of truths. There was no Montana! It was a made-up state, and instead she and her mom had traveled to the Arctic all those times when she was a dumb kid who actually believed there was a place called "Montana." And and Julia's hallucination Jay was actually Jane, her mother! And and and then Hatake told Julia what we already knew—that he's her father—but he did it in the best way possible and it was so worth it:

Note: This was an actual line of dialogue from the show and when I heard it I spit my Dr. Pepper all over the place. You owe me a new keyboard, Helix!

Meanwhile, Sarah was totally tripping balls for some reason. Did anyone catch why? Did the cold trigger some sort of dormant LSD trip? While helping Hatake flip the power switches, Sarah channeled her inner Rustin Cohle: "Have you ever seen death? Ever stared it right in the face?" I would like to hear her thoughts on time being a flat circle. Then she bemoaned her life's work and her lack of accomplishment and her lack of children and then she convulsed because convulsing is scary. Later, she would ask Alan to boink her again while Julia was within earshot, which resulted in some awkward glances but you know that inside, Alan was all, "That's right, Julia. I totally hit that." I'm beginning to think that bringing Sarah along for this trip was a bad idea on a professional level. She invented a test that didn't work, she harbored an infected person in her bedchamber, and she abused the station's medicine cabinet. Sarah is the reason that virologists should be at least 30 years old before they're allowed in the field. Kids these days! 

And in other news, Balleseros is still around even though there's really nothing left for him to do, so after escaping a holding cell, he and Daniel/Meeksa snowmobiled over to a nearby village that an Alaria hit squad was going to eradicate. Why did Balleseros decide to do that? "Because at some point, it has to stop." Ballsy, don't go soft on me, dude. Anana joined up with Balleseros and Daniel/Meeksa and they killed all the Alarians (Ballsy's "Oh, you mean like this?" BANG BANG BANG move was sweet) and saved the villagers, including Daniel/Meeksa's twin Tulok. There was a nice family moment when Daniel/Meeksa remembered his childhood, and then Helix used some Orphan Black technology to put Daniel/Meeksa and Tulok in the same frame, so that was cool. 

"Level X" ended with a montage to that "Mad World" remake song, and revealed who actually took the Narvik virus: Victor, the cryotherapy guy! Never trust a guy named Victor. Presumably he's off to deliver it to Alaria and do snow angels in the fat pile of cash they pay him. 

And that was it! Another fun, silly episode of Helix that moved briskly and answered questions. With four episodes left in the season and plenty of still-unanswered questions left to resolve (as showrunner Steven Maeda promised would happen by season's end), there's no reason that Helix can't keep up this pace. I hope you're watching the show without nit-picking it too hard, because I'm certainly enjoying the madness. 

LEFTOVER STRANDS

– Victor... vector? Alan should have known all along! 

– Anana: "You two make more noise than a running caribou!" 

– When I'm watching Helix, I find myself continually screaming "ASK DR. HATAKE 'WHY?'" but then I realize that would ruin everything. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/10/2015

Season 2 : Episode 13

163 Comments
Comments (163)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
In a life or death situation where you know people are depending on you to do a task that you might not be fully equipped to handle, should you not say "Hey, guys, I think I should sit this one out. I'll probably screw up and endanger all of you because I have a tumor that can make me go into fits or tremors or hallucinatey monologues at the most inopportune times"??? Sarah is supposed to be super smart but everything she's said or done so far is plain stupid. Hatake probably has a cure for cancer stashed somewhere but I hope he doesn't give it to Sarah! :p The show does not need her.
Flag
This show...is absolutely crazy, and I loved this episode and all of its ridiculousness. Vectors spitting black goo into a coffee cup was gross as hell and when they poured it into Peter's mouth I wanted to throw up but who knew that black goo spit up was the way to not only bring someone back to life but turns them into the new vector overlord. Impressive. A lot of shit went down this episode and I was impressed because although some of the things that were revealed were obvious (Julia being Hatake's daughter, Julia spending her childhood in fake Montana) I thought overall it was still a good episode and I honestly can't wait to see what the hell else is going to happen next.
Flag
I only continue to watch the mess that is Helix to read your hilarious reviews.
Flag
Tim, I'm digging the silly lines on the pics! Very fitting for this show. I hope Julia & Alan didn't incinerate The Acting Bug because this show needs a dose. Otherwise solid entertainment.
Flag
I loved it when they shot the closeup of the cup with a black liquid pouring in it, then I thought, "Who's stopping for a mug of coffee? I'm gonna get some coffee myself." Next, open shot, and the vectors were barfing into the cup... Yuck! Never mind. Forget the coffee!

I laughed hard when Julia asked, "Why did you build a REPLICA of my childhood's cabin in Montana?" And then I thought, "Julia, dear, you STILL DON'T GET IT?"

Balleseros in need of a jacket to go outside found a typical Balleseros solution. Next we see an unconscious (or even dead) guy lying on the floor in his underwear. Classic Balleseros!

"Tulok" is a Vulcan name, right? And I thought the village people (no pun intended) were sorta Eskimos... Apparently not.

Are we going to find out there's yet another undiscovered level below Level X??? They can keep adding levels as the story moves along.
Flag
I suspect the "Don't call me an Eskimo" comment may have been based on modern negativity to the term, Inuit would probably be more correct.
Flag
My batshit-ometer is nearing Zero Hour levels - there had better be a Nazi sub filed with clocks and clones buried near the base.
Flag
Another entertaining episode of helix I do like when peter was reborn vector leader and the pic above looks like he dj at a rave LOL. Also what a time for sarah to collapse as soon the power needed to be turned back on. The show is reaching the finale and at least we are getting some answers now. Major change to hero is due to the fact that he has to pick a side that the most dependable
Flag
best episode till date, full of thrill...genuine thrill in level X. Enjoyed a lot!!!
Flag
This is one of the most exciting episode. Not necessarily good (I think we established sometime back) but we were excited to find out what happens next and glue ourselves to the TV. I am happy to continue watching as the producers promised us a conclusion.

I had my misgivings about music on the show but this week Mad World was nicely done. Who sang this new version?

Flag
There are some complaints about Mad World further down in this thread, but I loved it. Well done, Helix, well done.
Flag
It is definitely nicer and more suitable than those funny music moments which does not fit the scenes and suppose to be new techniques to distract you. For me, it is just annoying.
Flag
I don't know. I really liked the version of Fever when the vectors were on the lose
Flag
I so love it when twins, after having not seen each other for so long (25 years or so), come to have the same haircut and the same three day beard.
Flag
It's some of that twin phenomena like when they marry women with the same name and have the same number of children. I didn't even notice, lol.
Flag
I seemed to have forgotten to put a little sarcastic notion in :-). What I meant is that they even didn't bother to make them a little different after so many years. And I do understand what you say, I have twins myself and have followed all of these stories about twins, but there are so few of these stories and so many twins. They seem to be some kind of urban legends that are mentioned so often and thus got to be some kind of specifics for twins.
Flag
No, I totally got your point and was agreeing with the silliness of it
Flag
Really?! World Cup Fever is real?!
Flag
I had a different feelings than the reviewer when watching Helix, I'm bored. The Vectors are boring and I've seen the zombies/black goo thing time and again because I watch horror movies; case in point I just watched Cabin Fever 3 last weekend and that's basically the same thing without the (I'm guessing aliens in the throat vibrating) My problem with this episode is that nothing new really happened, we figured out or for some had it confirmed that Julia was Hataki's daughter so her finding out could have happened last week, the Montana reveal well we knew she was living at the facility as a little girl so nothing new with that, the Vectors are scared of Julia; this also we already know. I really wanted a good reunion with Daniel and Tulok but they just kept hitting each other, and he punched him in the face as a kid over cars? Well I'd want to get kidnapped from my igloo also jk. Ballaseros is still the good/bad guy (once again nothing new) Sara has a brain tumor; well we've known that for many episodes and now other characters know and it turns out it wouldn't have mattered anyway because Alan said if he knew he would have still worked with her, even Julia finding out Alan and Sara had sex was not done very well, her response was well we are divorced so um no drama came from that; and did anyone else find it funny that Sara is half dead and she's still begging for Alan to give her some dick? I'm like damn you have a brain tumor; had a seizure and all you can think about even in your delirium is getting fucked? So to say this show is back on track is silly; we are just back where we were before Ilaria showed up, just like last episode. I feel like now the show is just dragging it's heels as it inches towards the season finale; where I'm thinking the alien virus situation will be confirmed. So guys what do you think? Am I the only one feeling like the last two episodes set the show back two episodes, all we got was Ilaria coming in like a hurricane and going out with a whimper as the last few soldiers were quickly taken out. What was the point of Ilaria they could have saved them storming the base for the season finale?
More+
Flag
At first,I was on the fence with this show,almost giving up and moving on,but slowly,bit by bit,I started getting addicted to the show.It's now on my must see list with Walking Dead.Loving the turns and twists of the show,bad guys turn out to be good guys and good guys turn out to be bad guys,this show keeps you guessing.Can't wait to see what they got in store for us with the season finale coming soon and whatever cliffhanger they'll drop on us.
Definitely an unexpected TV addiction!
Flag
Loved this episode! But the writers should have title it "Level X - Family Reunion." We had Hitake-san revealing his paternity to Julia, bothers Allan and Peter get a brief meetup, Daniel/Meeksa reunites with sister again and long-lost brother Tulok, and there's even a little "family" moment between Allan, Julia, and spaced-out Sarah. Sweet, sappy, and scary in the Helix 'verse.
Flag
I loved how the level below R was named X. Someone doesn't know his alphabet.
Flag
I kinda love this show now can't wait till the next ep!
Flag
The only logical for Alan being chosen leader is that he was the first person infected and all the other Norvik B strains are evolved from his. Still whatever reason they come up with this episode was sweet. I basically pit the brothers up against each other again with Julia and Hatake in the middle of it.
Flag
I think you mean Peters, but I take your point. I don't even ask those questions anymore. I just accept what the show tells me.
Flag
I'm not exactly sure but I am loving this show..Level X is where the vectors are hanging, Fake Montana is level Y, seems like there might be one more... lol
Anana did save Balleseros life a while back so he might have said that, but either way don't believe him!! He's the T-Bag of Helix, never know why or what the heck he is going to do! love it.. So Helix...keep up the good work.. ( I think?)
Flag
Wait till you see level Z were they hiding the Evil Dead book and the frozen Ash to save the day! Also on that level The Umbrella Corporation T-Virus and some old Walking Dead comic books oh and one jail cell were they keeping George Romero's evil clone!!
Flag
lol
Flag
This review was hilarious and captured the attitude required to watch this show perfectly.
Flag
Billy Campbell ruined everything in an interview where he said that Helix evokes The Andromeda Strain and The Thing. Both feature alien viruses.
Flag
anyone else hoped that Hatake would say "I am your father" in a Darth Vader voice?
Flag
Yeah..lol..i was shouting that out loud! Common! Say "Im am your father!"
Flag
Me too!
Flag
Yes I was totally expecting that; we are on the same wave length
Flag
I was kind of dreading it and I'm glad he went with the super creepy "You have you father's eyes!" [piercing blank stare]

I mean for a guy fearing rejection for so long perhaps he should of gone a little softer on the big reveal. :-)
Flag
I have no idea why I am still watching this show. Maybe I am addicted to embarrassing dialogue.
Flag
I'm still laughing over the first episode where Hitaki told Julia that these were viruses you wouldn't want your children to play with.
Flag
LOL I guess Hatake has the best one-liners. I seriously giggled when he said "You have your father's eyes". That was Horatio Caine level of awesomeness.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Fylly agree, some of the dialogue is so bad its laughable. And the writing...dont get me started. The whole -50 freezing thing, and ppl outside not even lookin cold at all. Just terrible and rushed. Dont get me wrong, I love almost everything scifi related and can swallow alot..but this was just terrible. And suck a waste of a good concept. Arrrrg
Flag
What do you expect? This is from the channel that brought us Sharknado
Flag
Also, my friends have been saying that House of Cards is "not good but addictive". New strain of TV?
Flag
First season of House of Cards was both good and addictive. Second season is more addictive than good.

But yes I agree WTF tv seems to be on the rise.
Flag
HA! I feel the exact same way. I crave resolution of this story, so whoever is writing these scripts is really good at making us addicted. The dialogue and exposition, however, are bringing down the show's quality. I hope it's renewed and repaired.
Flag
I'm almost going to think they are deliberately making this show cheesy.
Flag
I almost threw up watching the scene where Peter drinks the sludge. Well done, Helix!

I think Balleseros has a thing for Anana. Also, and I've thinking this for a while, he does not seem Brazilian. Except when he mentioned Espírito Santo's violence rate - that was surprisingly correct (and a couple of episodes ago)! Way to Wikipedia info, Helix! (And, yes, I am Brazilian).

Finally, does every drama (and I use the word loosely where Helix is concerned), at some point, have to use that song? Is there a secret contract we don't know about? Always as a montage and, as far as I can remember, always at the end?
Flag
He is half Lebanese from Canada in real life, but for TV purposes playing a Brazilian character. Yes, I also think he has a thing for Anana which may be what ends up keeping the character alive.
Flag
It's not really about appearance. It's true that everybody can look Brazilian. It's something I can't quite put my finger on and the accent. The accent is awful.
Flag
Doesn't really seem to have an accent. I assumed the character left Brazil when he was younger and more or less speaks in the dialect of the country he currently lives in which I am thinking is the US.
Flag
I think the love affair began sometime between being handcuffed shirtless to her couch and the many times she bested him when he tried to get the drop on her.
Flag
This show is equal parts "awesome" and "what the f%$k" with a lot of "you did not just go there" mixed in for good measure.

Zombie spit in a cup, eeewwwwww!!!

And I absolutely love that Balleseros is equal parts "special forces" and "scary smart" with lots of "crazy" thrown in for good measure. He's just one of the coolest characters I've seen in over a decade. He so reminds me of Ian Nottingham. He's great at taking advantage of every situation, and is definitely not scared of getting his hands bloody to save the day. He's my hero...in a dark and very scary way.

Julia, when there's a small army of zombified vectors in the other room, you don't take side trips to real versions of your favorite hallucination. That's just stupid, and you're not a stupid girl.

Okay, I guess Hatake is Julia's father...damn, I was hoping she was one of the lost children. That plot line went from being intriguing to being cliche.

Alan, really??! You would've actually kept Sarah on a team dealing with a major contagion with apocalyptic consequences even if you knew her skills were compromised by dealing with a spinal form of cancer??!! Are you sure you haven't been infected with a highly infective form of stupidity!!! There are plenty of other CDC scientists who could've taken her place and not have their skills affected by drugs and massive amounts of pain.

I think this show has its own form of apocalyptic contagion, I just cannot stop watching it!
More+
Flag
I think he means after they were stranded at the base he would of kept working Sarah not that he would have still chosen her back at the CDC for the mission, at this point, he's considering burning it all down and freezing in the snow [Kurt Russell The Thing style]
I'm surprised he didn't say something sarcastic to Julia when she said "...but if we burn the base down how will we get back home?"
Flag
If I remember correctly, he specifically said he "would've brought her anyway" which implies from the beginning at the CDC, claiming that he needed her skills. But there is no way the CDC would've allowed her to be included in such a high-risk mission if they had known about her condition.
Flag
Alan just doesn't seem to have a whole lot of common sense, does he? Let's put aside the stupidity of bringing a person who's health keeps her from performing as an effective member of the team. He's also taken her away from any real medical treatment.
Flag
That's precisely the point. Right now Sarah's only chance is if Hatake really was working on the cure for cancer, and the virus, and cure he gave Julia, will actually cure it.
Flag
She's not scared. Pack leader/virus cure/alien dna/whatever.
Flag
I am really enjoying this show. I just take my brain out and stick in the fridge so it can't see what I'm doing. Then I watch with abandon, not trying to make too much sense of it. The show does a good job of keeping the atmosphere heavy and tense. The rest of the show is like a roller coaster. You think you know where its going, but the ride sure is fun. That Hataki. His comment about Julia's not being able to pronounce the name Jane when she was four years old (Hahahahahaha). And his assurance that she had his eyes. That was just silly (thanks Monty Python), just silly. And yet I really enjoyed it. See Under the Dome? Shows can be silly and still be enjoyable and scary. It can be done.
Flag
Hey there's that convenient tumor problem for Sarah in order to further a plot and to cause tension. I really dislike it when Shows do that.

Overall this was a good episode. Save for there is a lot of people going out into the -50 arctic, really without proper clothing and surviving. The scientist that stole the virus, there is no way he is going to survive. Also some one tell the show runners that in actual cold you can see your breath.

Peter is the Vector's leader because he is somewhere in between them and Hatake and Julia. I think that Hatake has created vectors before. But remember the first episode when Peter was initially infected Hatake called it progress. But we don't know what type of progress as of yet. He is something more and I am not sure if he was stopped by Julia or if he chose to not attack her. There is a story here and hopefully we will find out. What.

Sarah is obviously going to survive. This is supposedly what Hatake has been working on so I would presume that she is going to be a guinea pig for the virus once they get it back from the scientist who should die relatively easy in the cold.

The whole family reunion was kind of cheesy.

But overall good episode.
More+
Flag
Dum-dums: " that convenient tumor problem for Sarah in order to further a plot and to cause tension". That's called storytelling. Did you think this was a documentary?
Flag
Flag
Not a documentary. But I do appreciate continuity over convenience in my story telling.

Also dum dums? I don't think I have been called that since I was 5.
Flag
There's an off chance it was a compliment. There's a type of lollipop called Dum Dums. They're quite tasty. Maybe he was calling you sweetie.
Flag
@mate lol
Flag
That might be worse.
Flag
Dum-dums? Really?

Horribly convenient and obvious plot lines get a pass because of "story telling"? Please.

@Mate enjoyed the episode, but had every right to point out a scene that's seemed weak and contrived without being insulted. BAD story telling exists too you know.
Flag
Yes, it does. But it's dang entertaining bad storytelling in my book.
Flag
I hate the Sarah storyline too. Add the cancer to the sex (and Julia finding out the way she did - so obvious) and it's just way too much.
Flag
Actually she said, "a rutting caribou". Caribous in love
Flag
Such a good episode. Who knew silvery eyes could look even more gorgeous with tears running through them? Or that silvery eyes could even cry?! Amazing.
Remind me not to have Brunette Jr with me if I ever have to fight vectors. Not such a good back-up job there Junior. And while you're at it while not cause more friction between the ex's. Good job, really god job Junior. Like we really need that right now. Thank God Brunette Sr - the one who actually deserves a name though - Julia couldn't be bothered with it at this time.
It's a bit of a crisis here people!?
Oh Peter - are you still in there? I sure hope not. The vectors spit in a 'keep calm' mug and fed it to him ((((( O_& ))))))) Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Where was my pillow when I needed it the most?!
And what an awesome closing scene & with my fave song too. Oh yes it sure is such a mad world. Helix. I lurve it :D
Flag
Man, that spitting scene was disgusting, wasn't it? It reminded me of men spitting chewing tobacco. I better stop; I'm making it worse.
Flag
Totally gross & therefor oddly amazing ;)
Flag
Maybe Peter is the leader because he has been treated (almost) and came back, some sort of higher level vessel for the virus, because of all the treatments he received from Alan.

Also, the mention to Rusty Cohle makes me feel all warm inside, our inner circle of TV viewers who have mentions within mentions within mentions (silly proud moment :-) ).
Flag
Am I the only one who noticed the blooper in this episode?
I mean, they go down to "Level X" where it was supposed to be -50 degrees and none of them has visible breath, Heck, at -50 you get booger icicles under your nose and you can hardly keep your eyes open because your tears freeze and trap your eyelids shut.
But no, they just casually stroll among the vectors. I love that Mystery Island style suspense and setting - after all, what I loved most about Lost was the whole Dharma story with secret bases hidden in the jungle - but I'm starting to get bored with this show's blatant disregard for fact-checking.
Flag
As someone who works on film sets, I can attest that sometimes, fact-checking and scientific accuracy lose priority status to storytelling. Don't get too stressed about it. The story is what keeps you coming back.
Flag
Well, I am not one to find flaws in everything. But this just seemed way too obvious. I mean, it was the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw that scene. But maybe it's just me. Maybe I know and think too much for my own good. These days you have to be half-asleep to enjoy most shows anyway. I'm not saying it's a show breaker, but it completely ruins the atmosphere, which is half the story. It's as if True Blood replaced their prop blood with ketchup. They could have added the breath in post-processing. God knows you can do pretty much anything with CG these days. I doubt they'd had gone over budget with a little fake condensation. After all, if that doesn't matter, why bother putting fake ice on "frozen" characters?
Flag
Yeah, to bad they make these silly mistakes. It really ruins it for me.
Flag
Flag
Tim mentioned it in the review.
Flag
Well, at -40 any exposed skin will freeze almost instantaneously, so I would say that in general Helix is drastically underestimating cold temperatures. But honestly it doesn't bother me that much because it's kind of necessary....I mean, do you really want to watch two people talking to each other when you literally can't see any part of their face? It just wouldn't translate.
Flag
Tim mentioned the freezing breath thing in his review. The outdoor scenes have never been true to life in the arctic either, most of the time there is hardly any protection on the faces.
Flag
Yeah, like when they ride snowmobiles. Those goggles may protect your eyes but what about the rest of your face?! That's some serious cold temperature blowing at your face at high speed.
Flag
I liked it when Anana and Ballsy were sleeping outside on their way back to the lab. Sleeping outside, in the arctic.
Flag
ha ha ..
oddly reminded me of Jon Snow and Ygritte sleeping in the open :)
Flag
Congrats Dr.Hatake you just out-creeped Darth Vader in revealing you are the father of someone.
Flag
Except he didn't.
Flag
I likey! This was one of my favorite episodes to date. Fun stuff. As to why Peter would be the leader, I'm not sure. I think the obvious reason is that it pits him against his brother, who's on the opposite end of the spectrum and trying to destroy the cure. That brother dynamic is going to play in later and Peter will probably save his brother and sacrifice himself (thus in part making up for the affair). If you're looking for a more scientific reason, I was thinking maybe Peter was himself patient X or something -- the first to be infected (even though others were full out infected while he was fighting it, but that could have been the meds). Anyway, nothing like keeping you wondering.

Didn't like the use of Mad World at the end. That song worked extremely well for Donnie Darko, but not very well here. Otherwise the soundtrack as been great for this show.
Flag
I just thought Peter was the leader because he was the first one infected. His infection created all the other vectors.
I didn't like the use of Mad World either. It's difficult to re-use a song when you already associate it with something else. And in this case Gary Jules Mad World is already best known for Donnie Darko and also the Gears of War commercial.
Flag
Yes! It is cemented in my head from the Gears of War commercial. I'm going to go watch that again right now.
Flag
Yeah, that was what I figured. They're all essentially his "children" in the sense that he created them all through the spread of the virus.
Flag
Well, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Dawn of the Running Dead! With the virus now in the open, it is almost an absolute that this show is not going to end after the initial 14 days.
Flag
In interviews the producers have promised all questions will be answered by the end of the first season - a second season would deal with new mysteries but same people. So obviously they're going to have to leave it somewhat open since they are hoping for a renewal.....
Flag
we all know the zombie-flicks, were everything already happend and the world went to hell.
maybe the whole season one storyline is just the interlude to how the virus got airborne and spread.
if so, we have a whole zombie-apocalypse ahead.
Flag
*where
Flag
Loved this episode! Loved the "You hve your father's eyes," loved that "mad world" cut out early, loved that we're finally getting some answers, and especially loved that Sergio (&3) had a bigger role and Anana was bad-a** as usual. Also loved the family reunion (and although Meeksa and Tuloc are played by the same person, they look different to me).
Flag
Meeksa really needs to change clothes. That was day nine of his sweater.
Flag
LOL. Maybe he's like Batman and has a closet full of the same uniform.
Flag
At least Batman's outfits fit. Meeksa's look painfully tight. I keep waiting for his sucked-in belly to break through his spanx and show itself to the world
Flag
@peterspoor, You know it looks like they could have taken his body shape into consideration when designing what is apparently the only outfit he will ever wear. It's not like any one else wears it and he has to fit in.
I've long thought that actors (using the term loosely) working on Syfy movies had to wear their own clothes. Maybe that's what happened here. Maybe that is the only top he owns.
Flag
I like the belly stretching out the ribbed military pullover with epilets; Meeksa is the new Shatner/Cpt Brannigan of our century. I want more Meeksa/Balleseros/Anana action adventures.
Flag
Perhaps blinding the other actor in the scene while doing so
Flag
Man wat really frusterates me when ppl are so stupid in shows. At about half way through the show after they leave level x dr farragu is like"the door not gonna hold forever" well no sh$t if you only lock one of the 3 locks he only put the board up. Never locked the rest. It kept them down there b4 "when it was fully locked"
Flag
what really keeps me hunching for this show are the silver eyes. aliens, gen-expirement gone wrong or something we dont even expect yet? i just wanne know damnit :D
Flag
So they're like some kind of immortal silver eyed vampires right? With messed up zombie infected/offspring?
Flag
me to.... i really wanna see whats the deal with julia and her family.Not really buying the aliens stuff but the gen-experiment seems the way to go.Is hiroshi some kind of advanced human or something? Is julias mothers one as well? Is julia an natural born child or some kind of experiment of the two? Is the virus hiroshi made just an apocalypse virus or is it meant to deliver some specific dna sequence to create more people like them, because by the looks of it the virus doesn't simply kill the infected it changes them to something else, something with a social structure a hierarchy.
So many questions i can`t wait for some answers.
Flag
well, i tend to believe that julias mom was human and she is some kind of hybrid with dominant human DNA. (based on the fact that she got infected eventually)
maybe hatake gave her some of his own "blood" and made her completely freakish :D

Flag
Sutton called Julia an abomination. I took that to mean half human (her mom) and half silver eyed whatever (the hell Hatake is.) I think she's the first of her kind which might explain why the vectors fear her.
Flag
actually that's a good theory....me like it.
Flag
Heyo! Nice theory!
Flag
I can't believe I'm still watching this but now it's strictly the crazy train joy ride and not expecting one iota of real science or logic. Hatake (or Sarah for that matter) couldn't answer a question honestly if their heads were on fire and Alan had a bucket of water. This episode revealed that I am much smarter than I realized. My husband commented about the things I've already said; no Montana vaca house, check. Hatake is Julia's father (I so wish he had used Darth Vadars voice), check. Jay was Julia's mom hallucination, check. There's another level with viruses, check. What we still don't know is if there is another species/alien element going on. Sarah's continually changing condition….. who cares.

Did not see Victor (who we only know as disgruntled, underpaid drunk science guy) passing vectors to sell the viruses by the sea shore. How did Victor get down to the virus boutique without freezing the vectors out? What is the signifigance of Peter being the virus king?

I'm starting to think that Balleseros (although he stated that he was one who stole lives) is one of the missing Inuite kids and that's the reason he feels an affinity to that whole crew.

The pace was better on this episode. I have set the expectations so low on this show that I am happy with that. Typing more observations are minutes I will never get back. Bring on the last few episodes and then put the whole thing in the incinerator and never mention it again. Bring on next week.
More+
Flag
"Bring on the last few episodes and then put the whole thing in the incinerator and never mention it again."

I can get behind this.
Flag
Victor could have stolen the Narvik before the vectors made it their headquarters, I guess. I also thought the Montana house was fake and that Hatake was julia's father. I don't think Ballz is Inuit though. He would have been woefully miscast, and I think they're trying to hint at him falling in love with Ananaconda.
Flag
I thought of that ( with Balleseros) but it's so damned cliche! He goes from freely murdering people right and left , to puppy love in a day or two? I don't buy that. Guess we wait and see. You are probably right that Victor stole the virus earlier.
Flag
I'm conflicted over Sergio...that is my big thought about that story.

This show has moved into second place after Hannibal and is a good palate cleanser.

Was Alan really bugging anyone else tonight?
Flag
I've yet to see an episode when he hasn't bugged me. I can't believe he said he would've brought Sarah to Arctic Biosystems even if he'd known of her condition. He's the least professional scientist I've ever seen portrayed in any show...ever!
Flag
What the eff are you talking about? You can't tell that someone has cancer from just looking at them. Or from a basic physical, unless the tumor is protruding. There are also some that you can't detect via MRI, X-ray, and many blood tests.
Flag
I never said that he had seen that she had cancer, I said that once he had found out that she had it, he told Hatake that he would've brought her along anyway. That is totally unprofessional and never would've been allowed in real life. Her abilities would've been compromised by her increasing symptoms over time, and that would've, and has, affected her performance as a member of the team.
Flag
Of course though they had sex and he didn't notice the large and fairly recent scar down her back even when they were cuddling. Her hair isn't that long.
Flag
If you remember the scene correctly, he said he saw the signs (the tremors, the headaches) but ignored them because he needed her. He didn't know for sure that it was a tumor but he knew she wasn't fit for duty but didn't care.
Flag
And like the total weird way he was acting in the Montana cabin. I was like seriously give Julia a moment to think. Maybe he is a secret bad guy and we can find out Doreen was to so we can sort of be okay with Sergio. Right now Julia and Daniel seem to be the only truly sympathetic characters.
Flag
I've always liked Sergio, but then I like gorgeous and deadly characters (yeah, I'm a sick puppy).

But I did think the way Alan was acting in the "cabin" was a bit too dismissive. As soon as Julia told him it looked like her home in Montana, both of them should've looked for clues.
Flag
I totally agree.
Flag
i have no idea why sarah tranced out then siezed. i thought it was weird too.
Flag
She has a tumor in her brain, and no matter what meds she's taking it's been growing all the time. It's obviously reached a critical point where it's interfering with her mental functions.
Flag
It's in her spinal cord
Flag
" As Sarah battles a hand tremor from her brain tumor, Hatake gives Alan a gun"--Quoted from the Level X episode recap posted on the SYFY official website.
Flag
There is little continuity. In the last episode, Sarah says it's a spinal tumor. I don't believe she is who she says at any rate.
Flag
i'm with tims theory here. she didn't get her meds for a while and the cold triggered the seizure followed by the hallucinations.
Flag
Nothing about Sarah is logical (or intelligent,) just go with the ridiculousness. I did like Hatake and Julia both shading Alan…um, how did you miss the fact that she had a tumor on her physical dumbass?
Flag
some conditions are detectable only in autopsy
Flag
Cool. Kill her off and let's operate.
Flag
Besides- she knew she had it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members