A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
The world of Helix is complex and simple. Complex as there are a few different interweaved stories, simple as the only thing that should matter is whether the world as we know it will survive. But Helix does not make it that simple for us. Week after week we are, as Tim so eloquent describes in his last review, ‘glossing-over-details-and-basic-scientific-facts’. The several protagonists and antagonists (I’m not sure who is who) do not seem to be able to keep up the level of competence they should have. The only character that is still in almost the same shape is in the first episode is.the Arctic Biosystems facility. although it hasn’t fulfilled the expectations from the pilot, it still has some moderately logical developments.

As most of the characters have not been that outstanding in what they’re doing, I have been thinking about the outcome of the series. There are only three episodes left, so some kind of endgame should be visible in the next episode. We don’t want a last minute surprise ending do we? For some reason, I do not really like it when those who act the most stupid or unprofessional the whole period, win in the end. Why should they? So I’m not sure I root for dr. Farragut and his surviving members of the CDC. Should we even count Julia as being one of them? Dr. Farragut might be the only normal and still living human CDC being in the end.

Have you thought about it yourself and what did you think?

poll

Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sarah Jordan.
Flag
Then let's hope for you she survived the destruction. She shouldn't have but it is Helix, so who knows?
Flag
I'm kinda' rooting for the vectors right now. But I also want Balleseros to make it back so I can watch him take out the Illaria corporation to the sounds of bad elevator music.
Flag
Anana and Balleseros. Duh.
Flag
TSTL = characters too stupid to live. It applies to book, movie and tv characters. They all seem TSTL but I guess if I had to pick one then it's Dr. Hatake since he is the most interesting. Definitely not Allan! The Inuit villagers deserve to live (so far…lol)
Flag
The commercials on this show really intrigued me. I was not sold the first few episodes but at the same time I didn't want to stop watching. I actually can't wait to see each new episode! I love it! Yes, some of it is a little corny but I just overlook it. I love the show!
Flag
I'm conflicted too. I feel sort of like Julia and Daniel (and with Daniel, or Mischca, by extension Anana and his brother) are the characters who haven't a) seemingly done anything evil b) seem to be having normal human reactions to things and c) haven't annoyed me to death. I feel like the show wants us to be rooting for Bellasarios and almost the writers of these later episodes are cursing the earlier writers for having him kill Doreen (like sure have him be the last one to see her but I guess I would prefer if he just negligently didn't help her after, I don't know, one of the monkeys attacked her). I feel like Alan, but for the circumstances, would be the evil character and he might resume that role once Hatake makes some peace with Julia and fully joins the against Ilaria Corporation stuff. And tells us what is up with the silver eyed people and why they both appear to have control over the vectors and why they are implied to be somewhat, I don't know, Hatake implied torturing him would make no difference but Sutton was able to be murdered. That might have been the head removal thing and why it was put on ice, she might be able to be reanimated later like that guy Bellesarios was after. So right now, Julia and the Inuits are my people I am rooting for.
More+
Flag
I'm conflicted too. Now that absolutely was the feeling I got from your comment. Everybody has at least hurt someone else Killed or tried to kill), except for the nice CDC guys. But they are so incompetent that you think it would be better for mankind if they never went back to civilisation and have kids.
Flag
The Darwin Awards! Nuke the base from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Flag
That entire CDC team is up for Darwin Awards!
Flag
And technically, Sarah assisted in the death of that doctor who holed up in her room. And Alan has shot a bunch of vectors (at least two I can think of) even though he looks down on Daniel when he pretty much had to do the same thing.
Flag
I completely agree with you, they all hae done wrong in some way. But to us fellow humans, it seemed as though Sarah was only helping her (in not becoming a terrible unhuman Vector) and Alan just kills 'things' that are not human any more (see Walkers in TWD). We probably are supposed not to mind.
Flag
The character turnarounds have been the most interesting (Lost-like) part of the series. I like the idea from digital_dice where they all die and the future team finds them and maybe totally misinterprets who/what they are. Or, they could just have Billy Campbell wake up with a start , look over and find himself in bed... with Hatake.
Flag
Oh God please don't say LOST in the same breath as Helix. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I don't blame the actors (except Doreen and that dog awful fake Southern accent) but I hate every character. They are written so poorly and on so many levels. If this is the CDC that has our best interests if an outbreak occurs, I'll just be hanging from my shower curtain rod.
Flag
Ouch, that feels horrible....
Flag
Seriously, you guys of tv.com should start to do something about these "make money" scams/spams in the comments. It's starting to become really annoying.
Flag
I've said this before, but every post with "
Flag
Looks like somebody was listening. Hey TV.com! You erased my example of what you should be looking for in spam posts. Don't you recognize the universal "something something" prefix as meaning it wasn't a real URL? Now that you've shown you can, how about doing the same to the hundreds of REAL spam posts littering this forum?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Like Rolamb, I'm not staff either but do a lot of writing for the site. Believe me - I have brought it up with every "higher-up" that is listening. Just the same response. If they are really looking into it on the tech side - well the tech folks must have been recruited by Arctic Biosystems with their level of competence.
Flag
I agree with you. And just in case you were wondering, I am not a tv.com staff member, I am just a visiting member like you who now and then tries to entertain his fellow visitors with posts.

I understood from earlier reactions that spam get removed automatically when a certain number of 'f lags' has arrived and they look at it manually during office hours a few times per day to also get the ones with fewer flags. Be sure to flag every one you see, it will help.
Flag
That is good to know. I always flag those dang make money posts, and I never knew it it was helping.
Flag
JLW please!
Flag
I can't say I'm really rooting for anyone at this point. That's not to say I dislike the characters and dislike the show (I don't and I love the show so far!), but I don't really feel a real alliance with any of the characters. That may just be me, but I wonder if TPTB did that on purpose - not making anyone super likable, but just well rounded enough to pique an interest. Right now, everyone just interests me, so like a lab experiment (no pun intended) I'm just interested to see what happens in the end. I am most interested in Julia, and by association, Hatake-sensei, but that's because of the latest episode, and because everything seems to revolve around Julia at the mo'.
Flag
I have the same feeling, I've bonded with none of the characters. Personally I believe that networks want us to bond as it means we are coming back next week. I have a suspicion who they want us to bond with in Helix, but they're not doing a great job.
Flag
Who do you think they want us to bond with? Is it Julia? Maybe Alan, with the saving Peter/Peter's King of the Vectors subplot? Yeah, you're right, they haven't done a good job because I honestly can't really tell :/ (For example, I totally thought Doreen was going to be a mainstay character... and then they killed her off.)
Flag
You hit the nail on the head. Allan and Julia. Allan because we humans (CDC) want to rescue the world and we tend to be heroes although we don't want to (a story so many times told to us in tv-series and films but so badly done in this one). Julia for the same reason as Allan and because she has a little girl story, that always works. You do not kill the little girl. Via Julia they want us to get some sympathy for the exotic eyes people. So they probably will be around in the end too.
Flag
For some reason I'm rooting for Hatake.Also want to see Julia make it through all this.For Hatake,I like characters that start off as roguish or bad but then have a change of heart and decide to fight for what is right.He's no angel or pure of heart but he's a complex character with shades of grey,full of secrets and knowledge with a quiet determination to protect those he believes are the key to his agenda.
As for Julia,she's likable and interesting,I got a feeling she'll play a bigger role in this story later on and for some reason I feel there will be a darker side to her that will come out later.Probably the unsung hero in this story.
Allan Farragut represents the innocent population that doesn't have a voice or choice in this world ending corporate scheme and needs to continue to find answers and that damn cure,so hope he survives because he's fighting the good fight.
Flag
That's rooting for more then one solution :-). It could end that Farragut gets out with Julia and they 'bury' the facility by 'flooding' it with low temperatures, claiming it to be one big virus storage room. In the cellars, as we have seen with the monkeys and the vectors, they just lie dormant, waiting for the next season.......
Flag
If they follow horror movie protocol everyone should die. Then years from now a group of research scientists or military personnel will discover the ruins of the abandoned station and find a glitchy video recording of the final events. Then a monster arctic storm will strike, forcing them to seek refuge in the lower levels where they will be haunted by ghosts and chased by virus-infected corpses!
But seriously....I just want to see Hatake and Julia survive. Hatake is like a shady anime character that has tons of secrets to reveal. He's both frustrating and fascinating to watch. It would be a shame if they killed him off. It also makes sense for Julia to survive if she is "the key" to everything that is going on.
Flag
I agree he seems to be the one with the most secrets thus for us the most interesting to keep around.
Flag

Nec deus intersit,nisi dignus vindice nodus.

Flag
I assume you didn't choose Deus ex Machina as He might find it niot worthy. But did you find yourself worthy to choose one?,
Flag
I chose the Inuits.
Flag
More Eskimo kisses! (Oh that's right- I'd get punched in the face for calling them Eskimos)
Flag
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the characters not being outstanding at what they're doing. It was difficult to decide who was worth rooting for, so I opted for the Inuits as they are innocent of the Shenanigans at the Facility and have suffered as a result of them.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members