A Helix Community
Syfy (ended 2015)
Obviously spoilers ahead if you don't like spoilers this is your warning. That said except Helix there is nothing recent I mention.

I always found characters that only lived inside someones head or at least are invincible to everybody else kind of fun and when I watch a movie or TV show a tiny bid of my brain is always on the lookout for signs that something/someone is really there.

(Who would have thought there might be one in Kingdom of Heaven. when you start watching.) I put some recent TV examples down here. I don't think there are any unconfirmed or suspected imaginary characters around on TV at the moment but let me know if there are.

Helix
Jay: Is imaginary Jay based on a person Julia knows from her past or is she a total fabrication of her mind?

Battlestar Galactica
Caprica Six/ Baltar: After the destruction of the twelve colonies Caprica six appears to Baltar. She claimed to do the works of the one true god Baltar things he's gone mad over the guilt he feels for the destruction of the colonies and later that he is implanted with a cylon device.

Funny enough Caprica Six has a similar problem with an imaginary Baltar, but is more relaxed about it.

Farscape
Harvey: After Crichton escaped Scorpius torture chair, things are not over. Scorpio left something in his brain and it's driving him crazy

Wilfred
Wilfred: Sorry only watched two episodes, but it's about a guy who imagines his dog to be a foul mouthed man in a dog suit

Supernatural
Lucifer: Death restores Sam's soul after his resurrection and erects a wall around his memories of his time in hell. The wall crumbles thanks to Castiel and Sams starts to see an imaginary Lucifer who taunts him in believing he is still in hell. To much trauma will do that to you.

Dexter
Harry: Harry, Dexter's father always on hand to give friendly advice or exposition even though he died years ago

Awake
An entire world. (maybe even a second at the end of the final episode): After a car crash Michael lives in alternated worlds, in one world his wife survived and his son died the other his wife died and his son survived. Again in fiction trauma can do strange things to the mind.

Is any of your favorite imaginary characters mentioned or have you got another? Let me know.

poll
42 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 07, 2015
Lost did it quite a bit. I'm only a half season into Rescue Me but it's a pretty huge mechanic so far.
Flag
Feb 28, 2014
Harvey ftw
Flag
Feb 24, 2014
How could anyone forget Mr Toomy's dad from The Langoriers

Flag
Feb 09, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Feb 09, 2014
He would definitely be on the list if I included movies.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
Obviously - always my favorite! Harvey the neural chip:

But since it mt two favorite are already mentioned, here we go:

Flag
Feb 08, 2014
For me its hard to pick Jason Gann over the revelation that was Tricia Helfer's Number Six and James Callis' 'Gaius Balter' head but Jason Gann just wears that dog suit too damn good. Jason Gann 'Wilfred'. There aren't enough great comedies on television anymore and 'Wilfred' is one of the best and we still don't even know who/what 'Wilfred' is. Its a lot more than imagining a foul mouthed man in a dog suit. Check it out - its worth finding if you haven't yet, its very very funny and Jason Gann and Elijah Wood have one of the best comic/straight man relationships on television. Who's popular now? - 'TBBT' Johnny Galecki and Jim Parsons don't come close to what these two are doing.

James Callis and Tricia Helfer were so good together so Balter and Six close second. I will remember this Tricia Helfer performance as I try to wash her current one out of my memory. 'Killer Women' is one of the biggest piles of crap ABC has ever unleashed on the world and it sucks that someone who we have such fond memories of is the star.

Mark Pellegrino's 'Lucifer' was also very memorable.

Nice choices.

More+
Flag
How about Greenberg who might be a figment of Coach's imagination in Teen Wolf?
Flag
Feb 17, 2014
Hahahha Greenberg! you brought Greenberg into this???! Greenberg??! come on!!
Flag
Dude! And let me tell you why: Coach is awesome, therefore anything that comes from Coach's mind must also be awesome. Just like Stiles is scary smart and so apparantly anything that comes from Stiles' mind is scary :)
Flag
Feb 19, 2014
i wrote that in coach's voice!..Greenberg is not good for anything!!..admitedly though, for once i would love to see who/what Greenberg is.
Flag
A manifestation of Coach as a teenager? I'm picturing Bill from Freaks and Geeks :P
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
Lucifer on Supernatural for sure, but I also enjoyed the Denny hallucination on Grey's Anatomy as a symptom of Izzie's cancer.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
in "The Mentalist", in season 5 Patrick Jane is poisoned and hallucinates a teenaged version of his dead daughter, Chalotte, and in Arrow's "3 ghosts", Oliver/Arrow, after being drugged, sees his dead girlfriend Shado, his (presumed) dead mentor and his dead best friend Tommy.
Flag
lsb
Feb 07, 2014
Don't forget the "First" on Buffy!
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
Why not? Buffy is the third best genre show in history after FIrefly and Battlestar Galactica, but Season 7's "First" proved nothing more than the show should have gone out on a high note after Dark Willow in Season 6.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
I forgot one Nathaniel Fisher from Six Feet Under. He died in the first episode but he was always around, mostly around Nate Jr.

Flag
Feb 07, 2014
NCIS has used imaginary/head characters.

It can be clever but it ruins the cleverness when done too much. It turns serious dramas into fantasies.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
Now that is a hard question. I've seen most, but not recently. The most fun combination of course in Caprica Six and Baltar. I also loved Awake and what two worlds could mean to each other. And last but not least, Wilfred sometimes drives me mad.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
What about all the hallucinations of Daniel Pierce in Perception?
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
It freaked me out when he started a relation with the woman, Natalie is based on.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
I always loved the character of lucifer in supernatural real or hallucination the cater just bought something to that role that made you love lucifer
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
I guess it was easier for Caprica 6 because she was actively seeking God. Gaius Baltar, on the other hand, was an atheist being seduced by her/him (which was disturbing on so many leveles, not only for him but for the audience).

What I found neat was how God took the face of the person they loved/loved them the most.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Plus Baltar was having a hard time coping with his role in the attack at the beginning. He was feeling guilty, but mostly constantly afraid that he was going to be found out.Eventually he started to mellow out and embrace her a bit more.

Meanwhile Six wasn't feeling guilty about anything, and her only concern was being found out that she was hallucinating or else get "boxed" for being defective. More importantly, we learn that the Cylons are big on controlled / purposeful hallucinations to help them out... such as figuring out which direction to go in the Base Star. So her an uncontrolled hallucination was probably less jarring.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
Don't call it God, you know it doesn't like that.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
I know, silly me (TM vision-Baltar: series finale)
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
well if that were the case Baltar would be haunted by Baltar. There is nothing Baltar loves more then Baltar :-)
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
According to God, he actually loved Six (and every single incarnation of her up until they settled on earth).
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
Placing the utterly mind-blowing dynamic of Caprica/Baltar up against the rest of the competition isn't a poll, it's a foregone conclusion :P
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
I should add imaginary Amber in House's Head, and love-making Cuddy in Under My Skin.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
Yeah, as much as I love Caprica/Baltar, that moment --- I forget exactly when --- where the bombshell drops and "Amber" leans in from off-camera to reveal her nonexistence was absolutely brilliant.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
Imaginary Amber is great. Might be my favorite episode of House .(or Three Stories) I don't think I've seen Under My Skin.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
{SPOILERS!!!!!} In Under My Skin, House had a Vicodin-induced night of illusions and, convinced Cuddy had spent the night and had sex with him, placed her in a very embarrassing situation the following day in the hospital.
Flag
Staff
Feb 06, 2014
I love how Caprica tortures Baltar!
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
I rather like how Lori tortures Rick on The Walking Dead

She was never more serene yet Rick has never been able to handle her presence.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
In all of television history, there has never been a character I have so singularly hated as much as I loathed Lori of The Walking Dead. She was a stinking pile of nope from start to long-awaited and happily-celebrated finish.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
It was just a bad performance. In any actresses hands of any value this role would not have been so loathsome. Sarah Wayne Callies just really isn't a great actress. She's borderline terrible. She never got any better after her equally as bad performance on 'Prison Break' - people hated Tancredi. She just gives nothing special in any of her performances and is very forgettable.
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
No. As far as I'm concerned, there wasn't anything wrong with her acting---she was just a terribly conceived character.

Lots of characters made (and continue to make) stupid decisions in Walking Dead... but those same characters have the defense that they've been profoundly psychologically damaged by the apocalypse---not everyone who'd survive an apocalypse is going to be prepared for it, and I like that the Walking Dead shows this.

The problem with Lori, is that she, too, was constantly giving the most absurd advice and making terrible decisions---but, she was portrayed as someone who was psychologically strong enough to weather the apocalypse, as someone who was in total control of her faculties, and as someone who should have known better.

I never really hated how she said or did things (i.e. her acting): It was what she said and did that still motivates me to write long rants against her in web discussions :)
Flag
Feb 08, 2014
I never had enything against Lori other than the fact she kept Rick and Shane for herself.

The only character I've truly hated has been Game of Thrones's Joffrey (and that's thanks to the terrific acting of Jack Gleeson)
Flag
Staff
Feb 07, 2014
That's true, but everything about Lori drove me insane. Hated her!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members