Helix Forums

Syfy (ended 2015)

Late Friday nights?

[1]Jan 10, 2014
    • level: 28
    I find it interesting that Syfy put this late on Friday nights. I can understand being late because it is gory, but Fridays?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

[2]Jan 14, 2014
    • level: 4

Fridays used to be their heyday. Their first primetime originals were on Friday, they called it Sci-Fi Prime. Poltergeist the Legacy, Sliders, Farscape, and First Wave was their original lineup. Then as they expanded to other nights, they called it Friday Prime. Stargate SG1, and Battlestar Galactica were on Fridays as well.

Edited on 01/14/2014 8:17pm

[3]Jan 17, 2014
    • level: 6

Friday nights for a LARGE portion of the population is just simply another night. Back in the old days when weekends were a much bigger deal & the majority of society had those days off, Sunday nights were the big Marquee night of television, as most people were home with their families chilling out because of having to go to work and school the next day.

Those days are over. Fridays are specifically good for programming these days for multiple reasons. One is because the economy sucks. The portion of the population who still have the luxury of having Saturdays off, of those, a substantial number of them choose to stay home & not go out in order to save money. Then, there's the portion of the population that stay home on Friday nights because Saturday's just another day in the work week. This is evidenced by (at least in my city specifically) Saturday morning news with rush hour traffic reports. I can remember when I was a kid, the big three networks had non-stop children's programming from 6am to noon, but over time, cable tv, DVR's and the economy have changed Saturday mornings for those networks into only a few kid shows, and the rest of it is just morning news & infomercials.

Anyway, my question is, given that angle for TV overall, why not Friday nights?