A Hello Ladies Community
HBO (ended 2013)

It isn't just network television that's bombarding you with new shows right now, cable has some new goodies, too! So if you happen to have any of those fancy channels that occupy the high triple digits, they won't be a waste this fall! Well, barely. Pay cable only has a couple new shows coming out this month—Masters of Sex on Showtime and Hello Ladies on HBO—but in their defense, they both look pretty good. In this edition of Hey TV.com, What's the Deal With [Show], we're taking a look at Hello Ladies. (Once we've said goodnight, we recommend that you read Cory's first date with Masters of Sex, too.)

Hello Ladies! Wait, what's Hello Ladies?

The half-hour comedy follows Stuart, a gangly British man living in Los Angeles, as he unsuccessfully tries to hit on just about anything with a pulse. He's accompanied by his friend Wade, who is going through a separation, and his other buddy Kives, who's in a wheelchair. Many drinks are bought for pretty SoCal ladies, though it's mostly for naught.

Who's in it, and who created it?

Stephen Merchant, known to many as Ricky Gervais' tall sidekick, stars as Stuart in a role he was born to play. Nate Torrence (Mr. Sunshine) and Kevin Weisman (Alias) play Stuart's pals Wade and Kives, and Christine Woods (Go On) plays Stuart's friend/tenant Jessica. New SNL cast member Kyle Mooney makes a great appearance as Stuart's coworker. Merchant created the show with his buddies Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, but this series is really Merchant's baby.

When does Hello Ladies premiere?

The flirting starts this Sunday, September 29 at 10:30pm on HBO, right after Eastbound & Down's Season 4 premiere. It'll go up against Showtime's Masters of Sex, ABC's Betrayal, and CBS's The Mentalist.

What other shows would you compare to Hello Ladies?

It's probably a mistake to mention it in the same conversation as Louie, though both shows center on awkward men looking for love. Really, it's everything you'd expect a show that stars Merchant as a horny single guy in Los Angeles to be.

What scores in Hello Ladies?

Merchant is great, and he's not shy about playing the sorry sap and putting his character Stuart through all kinds of hilarious misadventures that only a desperate man can experience. However, his struggles are endearing, his desires feel real, and the short glimpses you'll see of him being alone will make you root for him. Also, it's really funny!

What will I reject about Hello Ladies?

There aren't a lot of pretty people in it? Is that a reason to not like it? Maybe it will remind you of your own loneliness? I don't know. Oh, I got it. The extra money you'll have to pay to subscribe to HBO. Other than that, I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

So, should I watch it or not?

Yes you should! It's the best new comedy of the season, and it's bound to be one of those sleeper HBO series that will make you super cool when you recommend it to your friends.

Show me a peek?

You got it, grrrrrl!:

Hello Ladies premieres Sunday, September 29 at 10:30pm on HBO.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/17/2013

Season 1 : Episode 8

40 Comments
Follow this Show
Members