Hell's Kitchen Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Winners of Hell's Kitchen Do Not Actually Become Executive Chef?

Oppobrium

[1]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 2
    According to Gordon Ramsey during an interview, the winner of Hell's Kitchen does not actually become Executive Chef?!
    Full Story Here
    http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/07/prize-of-winning-hells-kitchen-executive-chef-title-only-petrozza-christina-gordon-ramsay-at-the-london-hollywood.html
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SlimKirby

[2]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 6
    Figures. Thats pretty much what happened to Heather in Season 2. Im pretty sure all winners don't really get what they were promised, and just receive one position lower.

gabfan31

[3]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 100
    At one point I heard them say the winner would be top sous chef, and others, executive chef. Either position is wonderful for someone working their way up the ladder of success, but it's definitely misleading to the contestants and the viewing audience. Whatever the job, I hope Christina makes the most of her opportunity to work for and with the best in the business. I didn't really think she was ready to be named an executive chef, so top sous chef is a more realistic prize for someone with her general lack of experience. Maybe five or ten years down the road she'll be ready to run her own restaurant for real.

mp34mp

[4]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 16
    Yeah, this has been known since the 1st season. Accept a position on the path to executive chef, or go for more schooling. Hell's Kitchen is not some magic lottery ticket. Please, that's completely unrealistic. This is an actual real business, not some game. The contestants are well aware of the terms. 1st season winner Michael didn't even end up cashing in on his prize.

Tillytip

[5]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 1
    Oppobrium wrote:
    According to Gordon Ramsey during an interview, the winner of Hell's Kitchen does not actually become Executive Chef?!
    Full Story Here
    http://www.seriouseats.com/required_eating/2008/07/prize-of-winning-hells-kitchen-executive-chef-title-only-petrozza-christina-gordon-ramsay-at-the-london-hollywood.html
    I feel that none from this season was really qualified for the position but Gordon had to pick someone as winner for the show's sake.

Evil_Dead_Ash

[6]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 9

What a rip off! Gordon Ramsay say's many times during an season of Hell's Kitchen that contestants are competing for the Executive Chef position. According to that article, they are just one of many at the restaurant; basically just another cog in the machinery.

I wonder if the promsied $250,000 salary is just another scam as well? He probably pays them that money over 20 years or some other weasel words promise.

Unless you actually know the winners of Hell's Kitchen, you would just be guesing on what they actually won.

I just lost some respect for Chef Ramsay after reading that article. If the contest is for a lesser position fine; but tell the truth about it. So this show is just another Reality show scam (with half truths and broken promises to th viewers); very disappointing.

bob07087

[7]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 19
    You in all reality could not give Christina the executive Chef position due to her lack of experience. Somone like Bobby who is an executive Chef already or even Petrozza who is a Catering Manager were more able to step into that position.

Bule1101

[8]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 10

You are all overreacting, or really dont have any clue to what a restaurant is. An executive chef is not in charge of the kitchen!!! They were never promised the HEAD CHEF or chef de cuisine position which would mean they would be in charge!

He never promised they would run the restaurant, and they all knew that. An executive chef will be in chrage of a shift and will run the pass, but thats it.

Bule1101

[9]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 10

Oh, and all the previous winners got their prize!!

Two of them have their own restaurants in Las Vegas, and they are both doing ok, but nothing special. You can check their restaurants out on the internet.

For me an executive chef at a ramsay restaurant is 10 times better than having your own little resaturant in a big hotel in vegas...

gabfan31

[10]Jul 17, 2008
    Bule1101 wrote:

You are all overreacting, or really dont have any clue to what a restaurant is. An executive chef is not in charge of the kitchen!!! They were never promised the HEAD CHEF or chef de cuisine position which would mean they would be in charge!

He never promised they would run the restaurant, and they all knew that. An executive chef will be in chrage of a shift and will run the pass, but thats it.

According to Wikipedia, "Chef de Cuisine ("Head of the Kitchen") is a synonym for the title executive chef." According to CuisineNet, "Executive chefs run the whole kitchen when the big boss (owner?) isn't around and are often employed when a chef has more than one restaurant. They hire and fire the staff, determine costs, revamp the menu, take care of all administrative tasks, interact with the dining room managers, and generally oversee the well-being of the restaurant. In smaller, less flamboyant restaurants, the Chef de Cuisine sees to all this, and an executive chef would be redundant." I'm not sure where you get your definition, but everyone I've ever heard describe the position has indicated that they meant they were head chef, even in a place like Ramsay's. That just means that they have a boss to answer to, but in all practical purposes, their job fulfills the roles of a head chef of most restaurants. We don't esactly have head chefs is the restaurant where I work, though, so I couldn't swear to it from personal knowledge of that rarefied sphere of the profession. Perhaps you can do so. Regardless, I'm sure the contestants knew themselves what the prize was, whether head chef or head sous chef, as I remember Ramsay saying was the prize awaiting the winner at one point. It is, however, confusing to the audience, and can obviously lead to some people thinking it's another reality show scam of some sort.

chriseternal

[11]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 32
    No way! I feel a little cheated. I was under the impression that executive chef MEANT executive chef. Maybe I need to review my terminology. Oh, it's in name ONLY!! Christina's probably thinking "I went to hell and all I brought back was this title."

gabfan31

[12]Jul 22, 2008
    chriseternal wrote:
    No way! I feel a little cheated. I was under the impression that executive chef MEANT executive chef. Maybe I need to review my terminology. Oh, it's in name ONLY!! Christina's probably thinking "I went to hell and all I brought back was this title."

And a quarter of a million dollars... I'd say that was worth a little Hell, and there's no suggestion that the winner doesn't get the cash, and the exposure. It's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Random862

[13]Aug 18, 2008
    • level: 7
    Who cares if it's a position of title only. They get $250,000.00, get a chance to work in a 5 star restaurant, owned by one of the most famous and respected chefs in the world. That's not bad for a contest win. Just being able to put his restaurant on your resume would open many doors for you that wouldn't otherwise be open.

gabfan31

[14]Aug 18, 2008
    No doubt! Jen would have given anything for that, and surely she would have known that winning the competition wouldn't have skyrocketed her to the pinnacle of her profession. It was still a huge boost to any resume, as well as the fame and bragging rights that came with winning.

Xannie

[15]Nov 28, 2008
    • level: 6
    a restaurant can only get 3 michelin stars

MizzGMC23

[16]Feb 7, 2009
    • level: 19
    Bule1101 wrote:

They were never promised the HEAD CHEF or chef de cuisine position which would mean they would be in charge!

At the start of Episode 2 the announcer says "And in the end it was Wil whose dream of becoming Head Chef at....."