Hell's Kitchen

HK1: 2 Chefs Compete

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Aug 01, 2005 on FOX

• Hells Kitchen Season Finale

Wow! This episode had me at the edge of my seat for the whole episode. THey were both neck to neck for the whole competiton. I personally liked Michael's performence and had a feeling he would win but it kept me guessing. I believe Ralph's team screwed him up a lot. With the help of Michael exceptional team and himself, he won Hell's Kitchen. I wasn't expecting the part where all the previous chefs came and helped the finalists cook for Hell's Kitchen. But the biggest surprise that I found was when Gordon Ramsey told Michael Wray that he would teach him in his restaurant. Overall, the best chef won and this was the closest contest betweeen the finalists of Hell's Kitchen.
  • It was obvious from the start that Michael should win. And the setting and design was well thought and carried out. The menu went with his theme and overall was the best.

It was obvious that Michael should win from the beginning. I loved the entire show and still remember the setting of the final episode. Michael exicuted his thoughts well and his menu said it all. I would love to dine where he is the chef. In the future it would be nice if the show would do contributes to the winning chef's. Maybe host one night in each Chef's location so that we all could continue to follow them as they grow and review them in their own enviroment as a leader and chef. I belive without a doubt that this is the best realality show out there.
  • Excellent Ending!

That was a very exciting ending! Im glad that Michael won. He was more soft-spoken, but much nicer to his "staff" I liked his resteraunt design better, the people on the street liked his food better. I hope they have another Hell's Kitchen, I would watch if they did. Congrats Michael!
  • This was a show not to miss, I do not think I have ever been this excited about a reality tv show. The ending was not the best I have ever seen but will have to suffice.

This show highlighted both of their skills and literally showed who was better.
    Michael did fight a little dirty in the challenge but when you fight, you fight hard. Loved that little stunt that he pulled on Ralph in the dress rehersal, skipping the crab in the crab risotto.

All in all a good show, glad to see that the other contestants actually were giving it all to help their former opponents. Dewberry and Andrew really came through for Ralph but in the end it wasn't enough since Michael won. In Michael's kitchen he was a little loose until he finally pulled it together and let them know who was the boss and started getting good food out.

One of the most remarkeble thing for me was that they both managed to get out a full service and that return rate was phenomenon, both scoring 90% and over, just fantastic for both of them.

I at least am eagerly waiting next season and congratulations to Michael.
  • A delicious ending to Hell's Kitchen!

This was the one episode where Chef Ramsey let the two remaining contestants loose in their own kitchens to decorate, plan menus and run the kitchen staff. I thought Michael was the true winner. His menu was well liked, his staff was much better than Ralph's and even though I wasn't a fan of his restaurant decor, I thought he did a great job. I started to get nervous as soon as I saw poor Dewberry walk in, and he didn't fail to perform below par. I was surprised that Elsie didn't get chosen quicker by either Michael or Ralph. All in all, it was a great series and I would like to see it done again.
  • "Hell's Kitchen" serves up the coup-de-grace!!!

An amazing finish to one of the best reality TV shows in history, the season finale brought the most tension-driven challenge known to man. The chefs fought hard to win their dream restaurants. In my opinion, both of them were clearly the winners, regardless of the final results. I would love to try out their food anyday. Nice work, chef!!!
  • The season finale of the first American Hell's Kitchen ended up with Ralph and Michael competeing for their own restaurant. They had to create their own unique restaurant and all of the dishes, the decor, the uniforms for staff. They were the head chef fo

The finale of Hell's Kitchen was very exciting. it began with Ralph and Michael being separated in their own half of the restaurant. They worked with decorators to design their own decor. Ralph did a New York Steak House with a 20's motif named "Frank & Lulu's" after his dog friends. Michael did an LA Modern style restaurant named LOLA POP, named for his wife. Chef flew in New Yorkers to eat at Ralph's, and LA people ate at Mike's. As the crews worked on the decor, Chef had them come up with a Signature Dish. Ralph's is a porter house, Mike's a short rib dish. They have to take it out on the streets of LA and have people taste test it and vote. Mike's gets twice the votes. Ralph is a bit perturbed. They then Have to go in and have a dress rehearsal and they feed the construction crews. They take turns working as head Chef calling the meal tickets to their cooks. Mike is not assertive enough, but when it's Ralph's turn to call orders, Mike sabotages him by purposely revealing Ralph's weakness by not putting any crab in the Crab Risotto. Ralph is rushing too much and does not realize the mistake. A worker calls him on it and he is angry at Mike, but feels he will be stronger for it. They then find out that they will have special teams helping them. It turns out that the old contestants are back to help, or at least some of them. They have to pick teams. Mike gets Jessica, Jimmy and Elsie. Ralph gets Andrew, Wendy and Dewberry. They begin the evening preping and Andrew cuts himself badly enough to go to the hospital for 4 stitches. That slows down Ralph's team. But he is strong. Andrew shows up 15 minutes before they open. They open and Mike is faster on getting the starters out. But he makes mistakes on his calls. Ralph is slower on appetizers, but makes up for it by passing around the antipasto cart. People seem to love the food. Dewberry gets very ill from the heat and has to sit out a while, Ralph tries to keep it together. One of Mike's steaks is returned, not cooked enough. He turns on the forcefulness and encourages his team. Jessica and Elsie bicker and won't call him Chef, but he perseveres. Ralph gets Dewberry back and encourages him with a poster Ralph wrote up with motivational steps on it. Ralph catches up and both teams serve dessert. Ralph finally gets Jean-Phillipe's name right, and at one point a piece of plastic is in the squash on Mike's side. Mike tells Elsie,"One time, and then I'll kill you", since she made the squash. But everyone is in good spirits but working extremely hard. Jessica tells Mike that he had a Killer menu and that it was easy to do. Everyone has been served and the kitchens are closed. Some diners are seen asking Mike about his food, as Ralph has to watch them compliment Mike. Dinner is over and Ralph and Mike go to the dorms to await their fate. They call home and try to rest. Then they are called to come down, blindfolded and they are told that surveys were given to all of the diners who were asked if they would return to eat at this restaurant. One restaurant got a 90% yes response. The other got a 94% yes response! They are told that they will each try to open a door and one of them will have the door which will open up. On the count of 3 Chef has them open. The winner is Michael! He walks into the restaurant to cheers. He is very emotional and shocked. Ralph is also very emotional and Chef urges him into the room also. His family is also there. He says he knows he didn't win, but feels like he still has won so much. Michael kisses his wife and then Chef tells him what talent he has and that he had such precision and creativity. Chef then makes him an offer to stay in LA and have a restaurant or come to London and work along side Chef Ramsay. Michael confers a minute with Lola and then he says "Yes". It's a huge opportunity and will enhance his own credibility as a chef. So Mike is off to London. All very exciting!!