Hell's Kitchen

HK1: 4 Chefs Compete

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jul 18, 2005 on FOX

• Ramsay has a heart?

It was quite interesting watching this episode. I watched the show last season and picked up watching the show half way through this season and I was surprised to see the change that Chef Ramsay had gone through. Last season all I remember was a constant barrage of yelling with few compliments to the aspiring chefs.
    This season seems more enjoyable because while he is disciplining the chefs who are not meeting his expectations, he is also complementing the chefs who exceeded his expectations. It was good to see the stern chef let loose and have fun with his apprentices. I was also sad to see Jessica go. I usually root for the underdog and she seemed like she had a lot of potential. Hopefully with Ramsay bankrolling Culinary School for her, we will see her again.
  • The kitchen gets dirty.

I thought the competition was interesting because Ramsay kept repeating the fact that he wanted them to use as many of the ingredients as possible, yet the three only used a small amount.

Jessica whined about not getting the win because she did dessert, but I didn't see the strawberrys on the leftover tray. Also, he told them to make "a dish" from the ingredients not an entire meal.

Both Ralph and Michael think they are going to win everything, so it's always funny when one of the less technically skilled people wins. I'ts usually because the winner actually paid attention to the rules of the competition, not as Michael said, because Ramsay is grading on a curve.

The bitterness flew after Elsie won and they shut her out during dinner service. On one hand it seemed a bit childish, but on the other I'm surprised we hadn't seen more of this all along.
  • The elimation was hard to watch as well as watching the treatment Elsie got from her teammates.

This episode highlights how ego central these people are, in revenge for her winning the challenge they cut her out completely, not giving her any help at all when she and they needed it. The sad part was seeing the kindest person in the show sent home. I still hope Michael will win this in just the same way that I hoped Tom would win last season of survivor, they are both playing a game and sometimes you have to fight rough to get to the top.

The challenge was a fun one, one that we can all relate to, making something out of leftovers. Anyway, a great entertainment and I hope there will be a second season.
  • The Man Does Have a Heart

I concur. This was probably the hardest elimination that Ramsey had to do, IMO. When he said that the team lost its spirit, they were not kidding. She was the one that infused real life into the kitchen.

The contestants need to realize this is not a regular reality show. Not only do they need to show they can cook, they need to show their customers that they have good customer service. Without customers, their restaraunt will flop.
  • An episode were Chef Ramsey finally showed the human being inside.

This episode was pivotal because Chef Ramsey decided to send home the one person in the kitchen who was decent and kind. The other three are backstabbing liars and don't deserve to win. I do think Elsie probably doesn't have what it takes to run a restaurant, but she did great for just being a mom. Ralph needs to go home next!!