Hell's Kitchen

HK4: 12 Chefs Compete

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 22, 2008 on FOX

• good episode...

The wannabees compete to make the most pasta and the guys lose. It was pretty sad. A lot of the task had to do with physical strenghth and the girls beat the guys. You go girls! Poor Ben had to shovel poop and had a bad service. Craig was just terrible. He can't do anything and he doesn't talk to people. Jen did very well and the girls are on a streak. Craig is gone, thank goodness; he was terrible. Overall, it was a great episode with lots of action and cursing. Oh, that poor guy that had her hand burnt, especially after she was doing so well!
  • Will Gorden ever find any talent in this lot?. Jen shines today but has she peaked too early. Vanessa gets burned and may have difficulty continuing, and the Men simply fail to reach the heights of mediocrity....Another normal day in Hells kitchen

As usual the challenge is a relatively simple one, making pasta from a basic dough mix. Easy in theory but seemingly so much more difficult with Gordon watching and the clock ticking. As it was both teams did OK and the result was a win by the ladies following a weigh-in.[I'm sure I saw a glint of hope in Gordons eye after that frantic half hour (dont worry, it didnt last long)] As usual in this series, more than the others, it appeared the men took physical strength as being the sole winning factor but were soon bought down to earth as Craig slowed them down with a poor showing that was to aid in their downfall.

As punishment the men had to do the prep work for both kitchens, while the women had a day out with a limo ride to the pier. Despite the obvious lack of warmth in the team following Coreys too early display of gamesmanship everyone seemed happy. With the increasing frustrated Gordon making it clear that he was not a happy bunny it was time for the teams to get back to basics with a Family meal sitting rather than the high range nosh of standard setting.

The girls managed well with Jen in particular receiving compliments, this despite losing Vanessa to hospital with a burned hand, for once an incident looking more a classical accident than a result of incompetence or over confidence. All was not quite so smooth in the Mens kitchen.....

Egos and over-confidence abound amongst these bunch and it again won the dis-approval of Gordon who put paid to early victory celebrations of the men when they had only 6 tables to serve (the women had only 2!). The true wrath was again dealt upon Craig who failed miserably again at turning pasta into gold! Not even servings of raw chicken by Matt could distract the fury! In case you haven't picked up on it yet - the men lost (again!).

The eviction was pretty much foretold, Craig has walked a fine line so far and must have lost his lucky charm as he was unceremoniously dumped, but not before Gordon had dropped a few words of advice to Matt and Ben.

In my opinion there are only two things left to find out - How long til the simmering emotions in the womens camp flare up, and will any men be left by the time numbers dwindle and the kitchens unite as one?
  • Are these people for real? Are they really as bad a Ramsay makes them out to be?

I am new to Hell's Kitchen, but I love Top Chef and Iron Chef and all Cooking reality/competition TV so I thought I'd give it a try...

Having watched four episodes I am amazed that I don't like any of the chefs... they are all big backstabbing babies! I'm frankly surprised that get any meals served the way they all fight and work against each other...

Like I said this may not be the norm, but the way the men all talk down about the ladies... cooking is not about brute force it's about finesse and the men have none!

Besides we all know that most of these men grew up on their "Mama's" cooking so how dare they say that women can't cook... think Jason would like it if I dissed his mama's cooking? I think not!

The other thing that bothers me is Scott Liebfried, who is so nice when he hosts the Food Network Challenges, and he's just not believable when he yells at people on HK.

I'll keep watching, but the bar has been set really low for me.
  • Vanessa burns herself and has to get medical treatment. Blue team continues to struggle in their challenges & during service and Craig appears to be the one to blame.

The men's team just can't seem to get things together. They lose another challenge to the women's team and they screw up their service allowing the women to win. Of course we can blame everything on Craig. He was ticking me off by screwing up and slowing everyone down so I was glad to see him gone.

Jenn has stepped up and Ramsay gave her a lot of praise which sickened me because I can not stand her. From the previews for next week, it seems Ramsay has words with almost everyone. I hope he puts her back in her place where she belongs.

I loved how Ramsay just berated Craig for not communicating and for also calling up Ben for elimination to explain himself. I believe it was Ramsay's way of pushing Ben to get better for the next service.

Tune in next week. Hopefully Jen gets eliminated!
  • Finally the teams make it through a dinner service and Jen is noticed by Gordon.

The reward challenge was making pasta from dough. The men are physically stronger and cranked their pasta machine like crazy but it looked like Craig slowed them down and the women won.
    The men had to do the prep work for both teams while the women had a day down at the pier.
    When they got back they girls had one hour to learn the menu for the evening. Jen did a good job getting the dishes out, but then this is her strong suit, she works short order and this was burgers and pasta, nothing requiring a lot of cooking talent. However even simple tasks seem to elude the men and they went down in flames again.
    Gordon got rightly angry when they served raw chicken wings and undercoooked pasta. These are not tough items to make, if you are not sure on pasta taste a strand, this is not rocket science. As for wings, cook a few and see how they are at 3 minutes, 4 minutes and when you finally get them done, that is the time you keep as a minimum for all the rest of the wings, again, no real brainpower required.
    Craig went home, and he could have had 2 other guys in the car with him. The men seem really lost.
FOX