Hell's Kitchen

HK7: 12 Chefs Compete Part 1

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jun 15, 2010 on FOX

• Typical episode with just the right amount of tolerable drama.

As we all know Hell's Kitchen has got to be filled with drama, and as we all well know it's filled with quite a lot of it. In this episode, however, it's overall moderate, especially relative to episodes from past seasons, and even including the current one.

The episode begins with quite an interesting new game leading to a challenge. It involved what seemed like multi-sided dice (dodecahedral?) with alphabetical letters on the faces. Each person from each team would roll a die and whatever the letter was marked, they were given 10 seconds to come up with an ingredient that would work well together with others.

Quite an interesting game and very fun to watch as people both struggled and succeeded greatly in coming up with items. I appreciate changing the typical format of the challenge-making that we're all used to.

The women's team lost the challenge and the men were treated to their award. While the punishment was severe, it wasn't retching or disgusting as some can be. Very good.

Dinner service involved celebrity guests and overall the level of yelling was at an average if not minimal level. Quite a welcome surprise to me as the drama can get a bit too overwhelming.

Minor niggle for me would be the women's side mix-up with the lobster and crab wherein the container with "crab" in it actually had lobster. This is a bit irksome as the whole sabotage tactic by surreptitiously mixing ingredients or turning off the stove and whatnot seems unfair. Then again if the difference between lobster and crab is readily discernible and something seems off when you add it, that should be a warning to double check at least. In the heat of the moment and with the rush to get food out, I wouldn't expect it or hold the contestants to it however.

No player was eliminated in this match, and the ones put up for elimination were swapped to the other teams. Quite interesting, especially this early in the game, as anything could go. I'm sure this must have happened because Andrew had absconded. Understandable. I look forward to the next episode.

Overall an 8 out of 10. Very good, above average with the correct amount of drama and yelling to suit my ears.