Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Love, Amazon Style

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 04, 1999 on USA

• When a sad Aphrodite casts a spell of love on a tribe of Amazons, Deimos takes advantage by ordering the Amazons to follow his every order. Hercules must reunite Aphrodite with lover Hephaestus to try and break the spell. A really bad episode...

5.4
    This is the single worst episode of the series in a long time.
    The story is silly and boring, and has little redeeming quality about it.

The plot involves Aphrodite, feeling down after breaking up with Hephaestus, casting a spell of love on a group of Amazons. For reasons not entirely clear, this results in them working in a drinking and gambling club, carrying out man's every whim and being exploited by Deimos. Herc must try to reunite Aphrodite with Hephaestus in order for her to break the spell.
    Neither one of the two halves of the plot are interesting, both being very silly and rather childish in places.

Although I wasn't too sure about her at first, I have grown to quite like Aphrodite in more recent appearances, but here she does nothing but add to an already terrible episode.

The single worst thing about this episode is the terrible character of Deimos. With respect to Joel Tobeck who plays him, "irritating" doesn't do him justice, and he mugs and goofs as if it's hilarious, but I found it rather embarrassing to watch.

Hephaestus, first seen in the third season episode 'Love Takes a Holiday', is now played by a different actor, Jason Hoyte (who I understand also played the role in 'Young Hercules'). In my opinion he is miscast, and what could have been a very interesting role (hinted at in 'Love Takes a Holiday') falls flat.

In an almost throwaway piece of dialogue, Hercules tells Iolaus that Salmoneus has been sent to prison for tax fraud. I guess that's why we never see him any more. Although it's great to have Iolaus back in the land of the living, I do miss the odd episode where Hercules would be partnered with the ever-scheming but lovable Salmoneus.

To sum up... did I mention that this is a BAD episode?!