Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Outcast

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 02, 1995 on USA

• Hercules helps an old Centaur pal battle against bigots.

This episode is marks the return of Deric and Lyla from the Herc Season 1 episode "As Darkness Falls". The Centuar Deric and his now wife Lyla are now raising a son, Kefor (who's 3 years old even though Deric and Lyla ran away just a season ago). Unfortunately the town they've settled in is just as bad (if not worse) than the one they left and the couple finds themselves under attack by bigots. Salmoneus and Hercules arrive in time to keep Deric from getting into more trouble and save the town from being taken over by illogical hate for the centaur and his family. It was very jarring seeing Lucy Lawless at first as I'm watching the re-watching the episodes (both Xena and Hercules) in airing order on my Zune, so after coming from a butt-kicking Xena episode I couldn't help but wonder why Xena was letting these townspeople push her around, then I'm like "Oh, this is Lyla". So I had an extra giggle when Hercules and Salmoneus acknowledged she looked like Xena. Which is also the series itself acknowledging they recycle actors a lot. Lucy just happened to get recycled to star of her own show. The episode was pretty good over all, I bought Deric's pain at losing his wife. He and Hercules' fight against the bigotry of the town is compelling and real. Kefor is adorable and he and Salmoneus' baby sitting adventures, funny and entertaining, keeping things level and light in the middle of a lot of drama. At first I thought the early murder of Lyla was to avoid doing another Lyla episode as the character wouldn't exist anymore to be played by Lawless, but the cheesy and unnecessary twist at the end made that not so. Actually the ending was the weakest part of the episode. It was a really interesting story about over coming bigotry with characters who kept your attention and then they had to go and pull the same trick (sort of) that they pulled in the "Amazon Women" movie in order to heal the harms. Now maybe I bought Zeus did it to kind of say "sorry" to his son for not being there in the situation with Hercules' wife and children, but it just cheapens the whole story somehow that she *spoiler* just walks back in alive. Also Kefor's age makes me wonder about time-lines in Hercules/Xena and if we can actually say "just one year ago" because it was a season ago as they pull the same trick with Ares son Evander who goes from his first appearance as a baby to his second appearance as a five year old with only a season between the two appearances. I also believe Ephiny's centaur kid Xenan goes from infant to an older toddler in an illogical timeline. Oh well, that's kids on TV, they grow up quick.