Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Rebel With a Cause

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 11, 1999 on USA

7.9
  • Hercules is asked by Oedipus to protect his brash daughter, Princess Antigone, and battle the evil King Creon so that Antigone may take her rightful place as Queen of Thebes. An over-wordy and not very interesting episode...

6.1
    This will be one of my shorter episode reviews, as I didn't really find this one very interesting at all.

Hercules arrives in Thebes just in time to stop his old friend Oedipus from taking his own life by jumping off a building. I won't try and explain how in writing, but the way Hercules saves Oedipus is really silly and far-fetched, and doesn't work in what is intended to be one of the more serious episodes.

Oedipus asks Herc to protect his wayward daughter, the brash and often drunk Antigone. Although well played by Paige Moss, cue lots of bratish behaviour from the girl, that culminates in a 'Rebel Without a Cause' (the obvious influence of the title) style chariot race towards the edge of a cliff. I'm sorry to say that, by this stage, I wasn't really bothered whether she escaped or not.

The rest of the story is pretty standard (with only Hercules crossing the primitive minefield as a vague highlight), as Antigone wakes up to her responsibilities, and helps Hercules oust the crooked King Creon so that she might take her rightful place as Queen.

The episode doesn't really pack any surprises, and I found quite a drag to watch for the most part. It is very wordy in places, and what action scenes there are don't really pack a punch (no pun intended).
    Not one of my favourites, and this season has yet to offer up an episode that I truly like.
HUB