Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Stranger in a Strange World

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 27, 1997 on USA

• Kevin Sorbo looked like he was having a blast, as was just about everyone else involved in this mad romp. Plus, we got the first introduction to a character that will bee extremely important in season five, Iolaus 2.

I really enjoyed this one, and I think everyone involved in making it did too, which definitely came across on screen. Kevin as the Sovereign got to stretch himself by playing a diametrically opposed character from his usual hero role, and Lucy Lawless was brilliant in her Louise Brooks wig- she has many skills, indeed! Michael Hurst had some fun moments as Iolaus, but he seemed to be much more serious as Iolaus 2. It was also hilarious seeing Kevin Smith in the Elvisesque God of Love, though the prim and proper Aphrodite was a bit of a yawn, especially considering how much fun Alex Tydings usually is as Aphrodite. As a big Gabrielle fan, I was a bit disappointed to see her only used as a one-off joke, but it was a treat to see Joxer the Mighty really being mighty! There were a few holes in the plot, but they weren't sufficiently gaping to spoil the fun. All in all, a fun episode, but one that would be enjoyed the most by someone who knows both this series and it's sister Xena Warrior Princess well enough to get all of the in-jokes.