Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

The Gauntlet

Aired Monday 5:00 PM May 01, 1995 on USA

• After Xena is exiled from her army through a brutal gauntlet that she survives ordered by her insubordinate partner, she teams up with Hercules against her former army to stop them from slaughtering another village.

I have to admit, even though there is so much brutality and seriousness in this episode, i really must appreciate the comedy Salmoneous brought to it. I thought he was just absolutely hilarious. So a door is open in this episode in which we get to see into Xena's soul a bit. We find she does have some sense of morality, since she is against murdering women and children, and wants her soldiers to follow her out of loyalty instead of greed. After she is betrayed by her army, she actually survives the beating her former soldiers gave her. Darfus went against Xena's orders and attacked before the set time, and slaughtered men, women, and children, and then burned the entire village. When Xena rescuse a baby that one of her soldiers thought he killed, her army takes it as a move against them. Xena fights Hercules but later joins him in battleing her former army and Darfus, who Xena kills. We find out that the baby she saved belonged to the man that attacked Hercules and his cousin, thinking they were the ones who destroyed his villiage and killed his wife. We find out the baby Xena saved was this man's son, so she returns the baby. Darfus is brought back to life at the end of this episode by someone sent by Ares, god of war, who appears to be from the underworld. This person gives Darfus control of a ruthless beast to again attempt to bring down Hercules, who now has the help of Xena.